PDA

View Full Version : Your Team's Wk3 Snapshot

Bullaholic
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
What does your team look like going into Wk3? The Bridgeport Bulls are 0-3, and continue to look for some answers on both offense and defense. The offense has not executed well in the first 3 games, and has been plagued by some execution errors which have not allowed the Bulls to keep pace, or ahead of the opponents, as is our traditional offensive personality. The defense has played pretty well, and is scrappy, except for giving up too many big plays at critical times, mostly on 3rd downs. The young Bulls are still learning in a trial-by-fire every week, and have been plagued by some key injuries to their already thin roster. Traditionally, the Bulls play better later in the season and in the playoffs, but this season is going to be a real challenge for them due to a pretty tough schedule. We are fortunate to have fans which have supported the Bulls--win or lose--very well for many seasons. These kids don't quit and are trying hard to get better, and I will be there to watch them do it. Go Bulls!

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 04:08 PM
La Grange beat a decent 4A Marble Falls team in Week 0 and then beat up on a couple weak D-25 teams and facing another weak D-25 team this week, there is going to be some really weak teams in the playoffs this season with 4 teams from each District making the playoffs. Hopefully come District we will find out where we stand, looks like the starters will not be able to play a full game untill District starts. Needville this week and Canyon Lake in two weeks, sad thing about it most all of our Preseason schedule teams were in the playoffs three years ago and now they will be fighting for the last playoff spot in their District. What a difference two years make in talent, time will tell what we are made of as a team.

OldBison75
09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
The Rattlers, despite being 3-0, are still trying to find an identity on offense. The young QB and receivers can look brilliant on one play and out of sync on the next, but, every week they have improved dramatically. The running game is consistent, if not flashy. Several running backs are contributing. The offensive line play has been spotty, but there are some new starters there that are starting to gel into a pretty good unit. Against Sterling, they never punted and never face a third down situation.

The strength of this team is the defense. They have not given up a score this year (the only score was a kickoff return td against Willis). In three games they have given up about 500 total yards. In game three, they only gave up 3 first downs (one on a penalty), and 14 total yards. This was done admittedly against a weak Sterling team that was severely outmanned. But, second and third team players played much of the second quarter and the second half. Navasota played over 40 players in the game and still dominated every aspect of the game.

This team is not nearly where the Rattlers were at the end of the year last year, but they have the potential to be just as good overall. They will be a different team because of a stronger running game, but they still have the ability to strike quickly from anywhere on the field.

LHexPlayer
09-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Liberty Hill Panthers (2-1)- Improving with each snap. Working together as a team. Running backs are running the ball hard. QB is improving and throwing the ball quicker than ever and running the ball more and more. I love it when we have a 4 headed monster in the backfield. Line is blocking nicely and the timing of the offense is crisp and clean. Defense is quick and aggressive. Secondary is playing some of the best coverage ever at Liberty Hill. Safety #12 is running the secondary like a true leader and ball-hawking deep routes. #12 is also the punter and may have a scholarship for kicking. He can punt rugby style with great control and hang time. He is a really good football player. I'm really liking this team. If they continue to improve, we may have a magical run in us.

regaleagle
09-16-2013, 05:44 PM
From what I can ascertain listening to the games on the Argyle Broadcast Network, the team is improving each week in the blocking assignments for the retooled O-line, which has improved our offensive production. Argyle runs many offensive sets, so the blocking schemes can get somewhat confusing. This has helped our running game and given Boyzuick more time in the pocket to find the recievers. On a side note, Argyle has been able to play the entire bench in all three games so far, which helps get the younger and less experienced players needed playing time at this level. Some of the 2nd teamers have played as much as the starters so far, on offense as well as defense. I hope this doesn't cause the starters to lose pace improving their skills, though. Overall, the team seems to be on the right path toward a deep playoff run.

buckeyebob
09-17-2013, 05:26 AM
The Buckeyes have looked very good...scoring 183 points and giving up 59 in three games (Bux will sub heavy so that an opponent won't be embarrassed).Every week they seem to improve. Last week against 4A Jacksonville, 14 of 18 passing for 268 yds & 4 TD's, 208 yds rushing from 5 backs for 5 TD's, giving the Bux 54 unanswered points.

HEMOTOXIC
09-17-2013, 04:47 PM
The Rattlers, despite being 3-0, are still trying to find an identity on offense. The young QB and receivers can look brilliant on one play and out of sync on the next, but, every week they have improved dramatically. The running game is consistent, if not flashy. Several running backs are contributing. The offensive line play has been spotty, but there are some new starters there that are starting to gel into a pretty good unit. Against Sterling, they never punted and never face a third down situation.

The strength of this team is the defense. They have not given up a score this year (the only score was a kickoff return td against Willis). In three games they have given up about 500 total yards. In game three, they only gave up 3 first downs (one on a penalty), and 14 total yards. This was done admittedly against a weak Sterling team that was severely outmanned. But, second and third team players played much of the second quarter and the second half. Navasota played over 40 players in the game and still dominated every aspect of the game.

This team is not nearly where the Rattlers were at the end of the year last year, but they have the potential to be just as good overall. They will be a different team because of a stronger running game, but they still have the ability to strike quickly from anywhere on the field.

:iagree:

It's amazing how over the years we have always talked about the strick fast Rattler offense. Now, it's the defense that has everyone talking. Boy oh boy, only if we can get that offense up to par... Not that it's bad, but, once they become consistent, LOOK OUT!!

vtskneb
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
If the turnovers begin to disappear as the youth of the team at critical spots gets additional experience, we should compete for a regional championship. If not and they continue throughout the year, most likely that won't be the case. This will be the first game against a 3A opponent, however I would say Mexico probably would be a pretty good middle of the road 3A team.

Aggie98
09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
We've played two pretty weak 4A teams and blown them out. We will be playing a pretty good 4A Mt. Pleasant team this week, should be more competitive. No injuries to speak of. Our schedule gets really soft after this week..... until week 10.

waterboy
09-18-2013, 07:40 AM
We've played two pretty weak 4A teams and blown them out. We will be playing a pretty good 4A Mt. Pleasant team this week, should be more competitive. No injuries to speak of. Our schedule gets really soft after this week..... until week 10.

Looks like Week 10 will be EPIC! Both teams have a lot of football to play between now and then, though, and there are a team or two on both teams schedule that "could" provide difficulties. It does look at this point that both teams are at another level compared to the others, though. We just need to take care of business one game at time. If both teams continue to improve, I think there is a strong possibility of two state champs from the District of Doom 2.0 .

lostaussie
09-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I for one am very curious to see how Mt Pleasant/Kilgore turns out. From what I hear the Tigers are pretty high powered this year. This should be a good test for Kilgore. And as you say.......there won't be many more.

Aggie98
09-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I for one am very curious to see how Mt Pleasant/Kilgore turns out. From what I hear the Tigers are pretty high powered this year. This should be a good test for Kilgore. And as you say.......there won't be many more.

The senior class for Mt. Pleasant with Cannon, Flanagan, etc... is the class they've been waiting on for a long time. This is supposed to be the best team they've had since the 90's so they should cake-walk through the weak district they are in. That being said, they didn't match up well with us at all last year. Any team can be beaten on any given Friday night (see Nac/Lufkin), but I'm just not particularly worried about this one.

Aggie98
09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Looks like Week 10 will be EPIC! Both teams have a lot of football to play between now and then, though, and there are a team or two on both teams schedule that "could" provide difficulties. It does look at this point that both teams are at another level compared to the others, though. We just need to take care of business one game at time. If both teams continue to improve, I think there is a strong possibility of two state champs from the District of Doom 2.0 .

Can't help but look forward to the "Clash of the Titans" in week 10. Regardless of the outcome, I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes as well as the Bulldogs in weeks 11+.

hollywood
09-18-2013, 12:06 PM
If the turnovers begin to disappear as the youth of the team at critical spots gets additional experience, we should compete for a regional championship. If not and they continue throughout the year, most likely that won't be the case. This will be the first game against a 3A opponent, however I would say Mexico probably would be a pretty good middle of the road 3A team.

You too have forgotten last years progression? Mexico was man handled by every other Texas HS team they played after week 0. As for the Jackets, after the La Vega game last year, I was a little concerned. After the Glen Rose game last year I was even more concerned. But then after the Burnet playoff game, I was more at ease. It took half a season for the team to work out the kinks and start peaking at the right time. Still some growing pains and growing up to do by this years Stephenville team. By Oct 18th (better known as DOOMS DAY), look for Stephenville to be clicking.

pirate4state
09-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Sinton is 3-0 and looking good on offense. Need improvement defensively. Giving up way too many yards & points.
Overall, doing a lot better than I originally expected.
Headed to Raymondville on Friday and Laredo next Saturday before the bye week and district.

Will have to be ready to go come October 11th!

vtskneb
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
You too have forgotten last years progression? Mexico was man handled by every other Texas HS team they played after week 0. As for the Jackets, after the La Vega game last year, I was a little concerned. After the Glen Rose game last year I was even more concerned. But then after the Burnet playoff game, I was more at ease. It took half a season for the team to work out the kinks and start peaking at the right time. Still some growing pains and growing up to do by this years Stephenville team. By Oct 18th (better known as DOOMS DAY), look for Stephenville to be clicking.

No I didn't forget but that team last year was filled with 2 and 3 year starters at offensive skill sets, save for Morrison and Stidham. Neither of whom was the straw on that team. Mexico never played another 3A team the rest of their tour and beat SA Wagner. If we can average 30 points a game by week 10 I don't think we will lose again but that also means we have to start holding onto the ball. We are a touchdown per game off from that right now. I don't see the Jackets being able to overcome turnovers like they did in 2012. Turnover differential will be in my opinion the most important stat this year for the Jackets.

waterboy
09-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Can't help but look forward to the "Clash of the Titans" in week 10. Regardless of the outcome, I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes as well as the Bulldogs in weeks 11+.

Ditto, my fellow district comrade! I'll be rooting for the Bulldogs in the playoffs, too. I live in Gilmer, and work in Kilgore, so I have to stay on the good side of both towns.:D

hollywood
09-18-2013, 02:38 PM
No I didn't forget but that team last year was filled with 2 and 3 year starters at offensive skill sets, save for Morrison and Stidham. Neither of whom was the straw on that team. Mexico never played another 3A team the rest of their tour and beat SA Wagner. If we can average 30 points a game by week 10 I don't think we will lose again but that also means we have to start holding onto the ball. We are a touchdown per game off from that right now. I don't see the Jackets being able to overcome turnovers like they did in 2012. Turnover differential will be in my opinion the most important stat this year for the Jackets.

Good points Ville. But the Jackets didn't have to face a freakin' juggernaut in week 1 last year either. That hurt. Aledo was no where near as good as they are this year. Their recruiting has paid off. ;)

Turnover stats are very important. I think it's time to increase the intensity in the guantlet drills at practice.

This link is what they must be doing. lol
http://www.playsportstv.com/football/football-running-back_gauntlet-drill-for-ball-security

lostaussie
09-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Ditto, my fellow district comrade! I'll be rooting for the Bulldogs in the playoffs, too. I live in Gilmer, and work in Kilgore, so I have to stay on the good side of both towns.:DAs do I. I am hearing a BUNCH of racket from my dawg coworkers......... although it got a little quieter after the Prestonwood game:D

waterboy
09-18-2013, 04:33 PM
As do I. I am hearing a BUNCH of racket from my dawg coworkers......... although it got a little quieter after the Prestonwood game:D

Yep. I caught a lot of flack last year from the Dawg faithful, and won a few bets, too.:D

maestro
09-18-2013, 05:41 PM
District 25

Made this post this summer...still sticking by it

El Campo will not beat themselves, too well coached

Bellville's senior class has it all, talent, experience, competitive fire

Wharton's senior class is small, talented, and provides needed leadership to a jr and soph class that oozes talent

Best sub varsity groups ( 7-9 ) I like sealy's group, Columbus group, Bellville group.

Have not had the opportunity to see El Campo youngsters.

buckeyebob
09-19-2013, 07:19 AM
As a reminder to the Gilmerites & wannabes:

TONIGHT
JV @ D'field
7&8 @ Gilmer
9@Pitt

WhartonTigers
09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
District 25

Made this post this summer...still sticking by it

El Campo will not beat themselves, too well coached

Bellville's senior class has it all, talent, experience, competitive fire

Wharton's senior class is small, talented, and provides needed leadership to a jr and soph class that oozes talent

Best sub varsity groups ( 7-9 ) I like sealy's group, Columbus group, Bellville group.

Have not had the opportunity to see El Campo youngsters.

i agree but dont leave out the two freshman man children #33 BJ Bailer 5'11 185 rb and #73 Jaylon Haynes Defensive Tackle. These two boys will be legit football players when they get their feet a little more wet.