PDA

View Full Version : Wharton (3-0) vs. Brazosport (0-3) at Freeport

Scoop27
09-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Tried to add the poll to pick the winner but couldn't find the option
Tigers win a high-scoring game

SHSBulldog00
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Wharton can go 4-0 if they can keep their composure vs. the Exporters. Hobbs threw for over 200 and ran for over 200 against Columbia. He only threw for 83 vs. Sweeny but ran for a bunch. If they can keep him in the pocket and play decent pass defense they will get the W. An early two score lead could go a long way. Brazosport will not keep up with Wharton's speed.

Roughneck93
09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Wharton improves to 4-0.

maestro
09-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Wharton can go 4-0 if they can keep their composure vs. the Exporters. Hobbs threw for over 200 and ran for over 200 against Columbia. He only threw for 83 vs. Sweeny but ran for a bunch. If they can keep him in the pocket and play decent pass defense they will get the W. An early two score lead could go a long way. Brazosport will not keep up with Wharton's speed.

Will be interesting to see how wharton performs on the road in an historically tough place

Hopper Field

Saggy Aggie
09-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Contain Hobbs and they'll be fine

WhartonTigers
09-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Wharton by a landslide im looking for #4 Toney Rogers to get his touches build a comfortable lead and watch Finn Bring in the Freshman running back #33 BJ Bailer. He is a manchild.

maestro
09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Wharton by a landslide im looking for #4 Toney Rogers to get his touches build a comfortable lead and watch Finn Bring in the Freshman running back #33 BJ Bailer. He is a manchild.

Posting something like this leads me to believe you are lacking in the history of how tough b-port plays at Hopper.

And they ain't scar bough.

WhartonTigers
09-18-2013, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=maestro;1762492]Posting something like this leads me to believe you are lacking in the history of how tough b-port plays at Hopper.

And they ain't scar bough.[/QUOTE
Wharton has not lost to Brazosport at Hopper Field, my first Varsity game in the 06/07 season as a sophmore has been the closest game there and the score was 49-22. Unless Brazosport runs the slot-T and does it effectively, Wharton will win this one hands down.

WhartonTigers
09-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Wharton at Brazosport
If the Tigers defeat Brazosport, we’ll have to start digging into the record books to find out if Wharton has ever started a season that strong. Even the 1950 state champion team, which finished 12-0-1, had a blip earlier in the year with a 0-0 tie with New Braunfels in the second week of the season.
But although as nice as that sounds, Wharton Coach Tim Finn has been saying the most important thing is to keep improving each week as they approach district. District 25-3A begins next week, so Friday’s game is the last chance for a tuneup before the games start counting for real.
Brazosport enters the game with an 0-3 record. The Exporters lost to Sweeny last week, 48-30, and to Sante Fe, 46-40, in the second week of play.
The Exporters’ closest loss was the opener when they lost to Columbia, 35-33.
The Tigers, who have wins over Cuero and Houston Scarborough, fell behind early last week to that same Columbia team, but they came on strong in the second half to take a big 44-28 victory.
Wharton relied on big special team plays in the first half to stay in the game, but the Tiger defense came on strong in the second half to take the victory.
The Tigers won last year’s game over Brazosport, 59-23.

YTBulldogs
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Wharton by 40+ :doh:

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Having seen them both, I'd be very surprised if that happened

I don't think Bport will win, but they've got a decent team. Wharton has a lot of speed, but don't stand out that much otherwise. I'll take Wharton 45-31

WhartonTigers
09-19-2013, 10:19 AM
At least one guy on here knows how serious this team is. They are liable to score every speacial teams play and on offense. SERIOUS SPEED

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2013, 10:22 AM
At least one guy on here knows how serious this team is. They are liable to score every speacial teams play and on offense. SERIOUS SPEED
Speed will only get you so far. Qb isn't that accurate and your defense is pretty weak.

As soon as you match up with someone that can match your speed, and it will happen eventually, it'll be over for the tigers.
But yes, they'll beat up on slow teams

WhartonTigers
09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Speed is all you need, ask any college coach. The way to win is get your best guy into open field and let him do his thing. our Qb is average right now but he can throw the ball into some tight places i watch him do it everyday, he is learning now how to tuck and run when nobody is open, you seen that last friday vs. Columbia. But the bottom line is there are 3 guys on the offense that MUST be double covered. #5 Leeshod Oneal #24 Donte Bell, and #4 toney Rogers. ill say Toney puts up 5 touchdowns easily on Bport. He had 4 last week against columbia. he ran a 4.45 for texas tech as a sophmore. But hey what do i know? lol See Ya FRIDAY! GO TIGERS!

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Speed is all you need, ask any college coach. The way to win is get your best guy into open field and let him do his thing. our Qb is average right now but he can throw the ball into some tight places i watch him do it everyday, he is learning now how to tuck and run when nobody is open, you seen that last friday vs. Columbia. But the bottom line is there are 3 guys on the offense that MUST be double covered. #5 Leeshod Oneal #24 Donte Bell, and #4 toney Rogers. ill say Toney puts up 5 touchdowns easily on Bport. He had 4 last week against columbia. he ran a 4.45 for texas tech as a sophmore. But hey what do i know? lol See Ya FRIDAY! GO TIGERS!

Not denying the speed. Tigers are fast and everyone knows that. Not many teams can match up, but in the playoffs they will. Your speed will get you by for now, but work on the passing game and defense and you'll have a legit shot at it, cuz you've got the athletes everywhere

maestro
09-19-2013, 12:05 PM
And to think,
I was the one missing RaiderRed2000 insights and Paycheck's vine.

This WhartonTigers poster is fan " on steroids "

Haha

Hey, you must be on the inside info on the Tigers. Enjoy reading your stuff but Decaf coffee dude!!!!

El Campo, Bellville, Navarro

Teams that master the First Down , keep your defense on the field.

YTBulldogs
09-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Make it 50+ to nothing now. :1popcorn:

WhartonTigers
09-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Yeah im a pretty big fan u can say because i trained these guys all last off season. Took them to various DI camps and watched them perform with the best in this state. But like i said see you Friday.

speedbump
09-19-2013, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=But the bottom line is there are 3 guys on the offense that MUST be double covered. #5 Leeshod Oneal #24 Donte Bell, and #4 toney Rogers. lol See Ya FRIDAY! GO TIGERS![/QUOTE]

I take it there is an investigation going on,to determine how many players Cuero had on the field. Or did somebody put some slow pills in the Tigers Gatorade?

Scoop27
09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
http://www.961kiox.com/

WhartonTigers
09-20-2013, 08:22 AM
I take it there is an investigation going on,to determine how many players Cuero had on the field. Or did somebody put some slow pills in the Tigers Gatorade?

Bad snaps over our qb head hurt us against Cuero and columbia but those should be ironed out by 7:30 tonight..

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Wharton was down 6-0 in the second quarter

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Brazosport 12, Wharton 8-Halftime

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Wharton 15, Brazosport 12, 3rd quarter

bird_fan
09-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Bport 19- 15 what happened to 50-0

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Brazosport 25, Wharton 15, 3rd qtr, 9:18

bird_fan
09-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Pick 6 Bport BPORT 25=15

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Brazosport 25, Wharton 15, end of 3rd qtr

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Brazosport 25, Wharton 22, 4th qtr

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Brazosport 25, Wharton 22, 6 minutes left in the game

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Wharton 29, Brazosport 25, 4th qtr-6:03

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Another Wharton TD
Wharton 35, Brazosport 25 4th qtr. 1:08

Lucky2Coach
09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Another Wharton TD
Wharton 35, Brazosport 25 4th qtr. 1:08

BPort is having a tough year! Need to beg Ol' Red to come back. He did more for those kids than anyone ever will!!!

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Wharton 35, Brazosport 25=FINAL

Saggy Aggie
09-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Eh, I said 45-31 for Wharton I think. Not too far off and was right on the 2 score win and it being a tougher game than most of you thought part.

Bport needs to drop down to 3A

Lucky2Coach
09-20-2013, 10:39 PM
They'd still be 0-4 in 3A, and most of their skill kids are three year starters.

SHSBulldog00
09-20-2013, 10:48 PM
They still play Bay City. Someone will get a W in that one.

Roughneck93
09-20-2013, 10:57 PM
From chron.com...

Boxscore (http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2013&tpl=Boxscore&ID=182378&Sport=1&TeamID=223&SearchType=Teams)

Saggy Aggie
09-20-2013, 10:58 PM
They'd still be 0-4 in 3A, and most of their skill kids are three year starters.
Well depends on the competition. They'd beat Needville they'd at least be more competitive than they will be once district rolls around

Scoop27
09-20-2013, 11:27 PM
The Tigers are second half ball club and suck it up when they need to- Their defense steps it up and the offense makes the big plays. These close games are more helpful than then 71-0 over Scarborough. I'm not saying they will win all their district games but enough to make the playoffs

Pudlugger
09-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Good come from behind victory for the Tigers. It shows they have a big heart and lots of desire. Good luck going into district.

Lucky2Coach
09-21-2013, 07:38 AM
This is true, Saggie!

LHPfactory
09-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Even with DI talent my old BPort always had issues on Friday nights. I don't know if much has changed since the 1980's but it was very lonely during the summer workouts, very few participated. We went undefeated in Jr High and through Highschool everyone passed us up, due to lack of discipline and dedication, of course the coaching structure/leadership was not there either..... Doesn't look like much has changed at the mouth of the Brazos River.

Scoop27
09-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Late Wharton surge keeps Ships winless
By CHRIS GREENE sports@thefacts.com | 0 comments

FREEPORT — The visiting Wharton Tigers scored 20 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and ended Brazosport’s wet and, at times, wild homecoming celebration on a sour note by downing the Ships 35-25 at Hopper Field on Friday.

Even with sporadic downpours all game long, both teams played solid football games. There were times that dropped footballs on rushes as well as dropped passes probably could be blamed on the rain, but each squad played with focus and determination despite the distraction falling from the dark skies above.

Brazosport, which fell to 0-4, led 12-0 for much of the first half and took a 12-8 lead into the halftime break.

Wharton (4-0) came out and scored on the opening drive of the second half to gain its first lead when quarterback Joseph Krenek found Leeshad O’Neal on a 39-yard pass. The point-after put the Tigers up 15-12.

Brazosport responded quickly, needing just three plays for Emond Hobbs to connect with Jeremiah Credit on a 17-yard touchdown pass. Three plays later, and with rain falling, Brazosport’s Khalil Myers intercepted Krenek and returned the snag for a pick-6. A conversion run attempt failed, but the Exporters led 25-15 and held the advantage into the fourth quarter.

Then Wharton went to work, taking advantage of good field position. The Tigers’ first drive started at the Exporter 39-yard line after a 22-yard punt. It took just four plays for Toney Rogers — who led all rushers in the game with 177 yards on 26 carries — to score from the 4.

Brazosport couldn’t move the ball on its next drive, and a 9-yard punt set the Tigers up at the Exporter 36. This time Leeshad O’Neal scored from the 5 to cap a three-play drive.

The Exporters turned the ball over on downs with the next possession, and again Wharton took over in Brazosport territory, at the 44. A nine-play drive built the lead up to 10 as Rogers scored his second touchdown of the stanza on a rush from the 7 with just 1:08 to play.

A Wharton interception of Hobbs ended the final Exporter drive.

Brazosport scored the only touchdown of the first quarter. Hobbs connected with Myers on a 33-yard pass that reached the 1-yard line, and Credit ended the drive by plunging into the end zone. A conversion pass failed and Brazosport led 6-0.

The Exporters upped the lead to 12-0 with a 13-play drive in the second quarter. Hobbs scored on a 6-yard run. A rushing attempt on the conversion failed.

Wharton quarterback Krenek connected on an 88-yard pass to Dontay Bell late in the half. Krenek then ran in a 2-point conversion

Scoop27
09-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Late Wharton surge keeps Ships winless

By CHRIS GREENE sports@thefacts.com | 0 comments

FREEPORT — The visiting Wharton Tigers scored 20 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and ended Brazosport’s wet and, at times, wild homecoming celebration on a sour note by downing the Ships 35-25 at Hopper Field on Friday.

Even with sporadic downpours all game long, both teams played solid football games. There were times that dropped footballs on rushes as well as dropped passes probably could be blamed on the rain, but each squad played with focus and determination despite the distraction falling from the dark skies above.

Brazosport, which fell to 0-4, led 12-0 for much of the first half and took a 12-8 lead into the halftime break.

Wharton (4-0) came out and scored on the opening drive of the second half to gain its first lead when quarterback Joseph Krenek found Leeshad O’Neal on a 39-yard pass. The point-after put the Tigers up 15-12.

Brazosport responded quickly, needing just three plays for Emond Hobbs to connect with Jeremiah Credit on a 17-yard touchdown pass. Three plays later, and with rain falling, Brazosport’s Khalil Myers intercepted Krenek and returned the snag for a pick-6. A conversion run attempt failed, but the Exporters led 25-15 and held the advantage into the fourth quarter.

Then Wharton went to work, taking advantage of good field position. The Tigers’ first drive started at the Exporter 39-yard line after a 22-yard punt. It took just four plays for Toney Rogers — who led all rushers in the game with 177 yards on 26 carries — to score from the 4.

Brazosport couldn’t move the ball on its next drive, and a 9-yard punt set the Tigers up at the Exporter 36. This time Leeshad O’Neal scored from the 5 to cap a three-play drive.

The Exporters turned the ball over on downs with the next possession, and again Wharton took over in Brazosport territory, at the 44. A nine-play drive built the lead up to 10 as Rogers scored his second touchdown of the stanza on a rush from the 7 with just 1:08 to play.

A Wharton interception of Hobbs ended the final Exporter drive.

Brazosport scored the only touchdown of the first quarter. Hobbs connected with Myers on a 33-yard pass that reached the 1-yard line, and Credit ended the drive by plunging into the end zone. A conversion pass failed and Brazosport led 6-0.

The Exporters upped the lead to 12-0 with a 13-play drive in the second quarter. Hobbs scored on a 6-yard run. A rushing attempt on the conversion failed.

Wharton quarterback Krenek connected on an 88-yard pass to Dontay Bell late in the half. Krenek then ran in

Scoop27
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports/article_7603e88c-22d7-11e3-84d1-0019bb2963f4.html