PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill vs. Rockdale - Who is your pick?

panfan
09-16-2013, 06:56 AM
The Tigers will be the toughest team we have faced yet. I hear they have some big time players and are not the Rockdale of days past. We expect them to be big and physical just like every year. Last year, we won 76-35. I don't see anything close to that happening this year. LH offense is gaining momentum, as we are starting to see the kind of average yardage per game that we are accustomed to seeing. Defense is keeping us in the games (only 1 TD allowed defensively per game so far). We found our kicker and he is doing well. With that said, I say LH by 10 over Rockdale. Yes, you heard it here first, LH kicks a field goal in this one (at least I would like to see it, but it probably won't happen). Good luck to both teams.

Yoe_09
09-16-2013, 09:21 AM
It's going to be an interesting game, no doubt. To me, it depends which Rockdale team shows up. If it is the one that had costly penalties, turnovers, and not being able to finish drives (Burnet game), then i would say LH by a couple of TD's. Now, if it is the team that showed up and played Cameron last week, then it could be close. As you noted, Rockdale is large on the lines and has some pretty decent skill position players. What could also hurt Rockdale late is depth.

Turin
09-16-2013, 09:49 AM
This will be a good test for the defense, that has been playing great, against the best passing offense we have seen so far. The offense needs to keep getting better every week and it seems the new O-line is starting to figure it out. One of these days we need to stop the turnovers that have plagued us.

panfan
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
It's going to be an interesting game, no doubt. To me, it depends which Rockdale team shows up. If it is the one that had costly penalties, turnovers, and not being able to finish drives (Burnet game), then i would say LH by a couple of TD's. Now, if it is the team that showed up and played Cameron last week, then it could be close. As you noted, Rockdale is large on the lines and has some pretty decent skill position players. What could also hurt Rockdale late is depth.

Thanks for insight Yoe, how did ya'lls game go against the tigers?

Yoe_09
09-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Well, offensively I felt the Yoemen had great success. Whether it was through the air (over 250 yards on 14-20 passing) or on the ground (over 150 yards), the Yoemen were efficient and it was hard for Rockdale to contain. Now, I do believe the Yoemen offense of 2013 is ahead of the Yoemen offense of 2012 based on what I have seen out there through 3 games. Everyone knew with what the Yoemen had coming back at QB and WR, and that the passing attack would be there again, but the emergence of Soph. RB Smith has really allowed us to stay balanced. Cameron did have a few turnovers that hurt, but overall a strong performance on that side of the ball.

Defensively, it was a mix. I thought the Yoemen secondary played very well. Rockdale had put up some big numbers through the air, including 350 yards in the Burnet game. As I said, Rockdale moved the ball down the field pretty much that whole game, but would either A. fumble or B. get a costly penalty and then would have to either settle for a FG attempt of turn the ball over on downs. Cameron held Rockdale to 14-37 passing for 145 yards and had 2 interceptions. The main success that Rockdale had in this game was on the ground. Their large offensive line was able to open some things up and Rockdale got some big runs for TD's. Now, Cameron was missing two-thirds of the starting d-line, with both of those being the top 2 defensive lineman we have. Luckily for us, none are serious and everyone will be back within a few weeks from now.

I do believe that this Rockdale has much more dual threat ability, which means you will need an overall solid defense to shut them down. There is no doubt this team has more potential than teams of the past. They have division I talent on the team, as well as pretty good skill position players to go around that. I don't forecast them finishing any worse than 2nd in D18 this year.

Things for Rockdale fans to look at in this game:

A. How is their defensive front going to handle a slot-t team
B. Can you limit the costly mistakes
C. Depth

LHexPlayer
09-16-2013, 05:14 PM
I think we win in a close one. Maybe by 3 points or 4. Gonna be tough, but if the boys keep improving then we are in for a good season. These kids play hard and seem to have some really good leadership. I know the QB is from a family of leaders. Some of the best people I know.

cookiemonster
09-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Bad matchup for Rockdale! The misdirection will be a major issue for them and they will be worn out by the 4th quarter! I see this as a blowout game for LH if they continue to improve!

LHdog
09-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Burnet wore Rockdale down in the second half. The big boys ran out of gas. This is the kind of team that could give the Panthers some trouble, size in the OL/DL and a good passing attach. It will be an interesting game.

panfan
09-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Burnet wore Rockdale down in the second half. The big boys ran out of gas. This is the kind of team that could give the Panthers some trouble, size in the OL/DL and a good passing attach. It will be an interesting game.

Dude - quit being a cup hafty empty fan. We have a young team who is improving each week - look at the positives and we can all sit back at the end of the season if things don't go well and say coulda, woulda, shoulda. But for now, I'm betting things go way better. The way the above reads, one would think that Burnet won only cause the big boys ran out of gas and that the Panthers simply can't do that. I'm guessing it remains to be seen and that is why we play the game. I don't think anyone of us on here following LH have been suggesting this team is a world beating team, nor is it the caliber of 06 or 07. But they have a lot of young talent, it is starting to show, so give it some time to develop. GEEz. :hand:

panfan
09-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Bad matchup for Rockdale! The misdirection will be a major issue for them and they will be worn out by the 4th quarter! I see this as a blowout game for LH if they continue to improve!

I'm hoping that is exactly what happens. We will need to generate some push up front to make thatt happen. We can't go 3 and out to often. Have to keep the D on the field and grind them down.

panfan
09-17-2013, 08:01 AM
I think we win in a close one. Maybe by 3 points or 4. Gonna be tough, but if the boys keep improving then we are in for a good season. These kids play hard and seem to have some really good leadership. I know the QB is from a family of leaders. Some of the best people I know.

I said it last year - leadership was an issue and I think having some this year is making a world of difference. Vickers are good folks. When i used to run the ball fields over at the park, Old man Vickers would come out set up his snow cone stand for the season. Kids loved it, and I don't know how many free ones he gave away.

greendawg84
09-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Dude - quit being a cup hafty empty fan. We have a young team who is improving each week - look at the positives and we can all sit back at the end of the season if things don't go well and say coulda, woulda, shoulda. But for now, I'm betting things go way better. The way the above reads, one would think that Burnet won only cause the big boys ran out of gas and that the Panthers simply can't do that. I'm guessing it remains to be seen and that is why we play the game. I don't think anyone of us on here following LH have been suggesting this team is a world beating team, nor is it the caliber of 06 or 07. But they have a lot of young talent, it is starting to show, so give it some time to develop. GEEz. :hand:

Run out of catnip panfan ....... little grouchy this morning ???? :crazy:

greendawg84
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
The Barneys of the Hill get another win.

panfan
09-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Run out of catnip panfan ....... little grouchy this morning ???? :crazy:

sure did. me no grouchy

Johnny Utah
09-17-2013, 03:18 PM
The Tigers ROAR!!! Getting ready for district!! Bell or no Bell, the Tigers should gain momentum from the Cameron game and lay some wood on the Hill People!!

Pudlugger
09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
HFA makes this close game even closer but I think Rockdale will get the win. They have the size and some D1 talent and are coming off a tough game and loss to Yoe. Tigers by a td in a high scoring game.

Super_R
09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
LH had an obvious problem week zero...put the ball on the ground near 10 times and only lost by 1pt to Giddings. The next week we put the ball on the ground a few times and won by 2 td's over hondo. LH hammered a bad Smithville team.

All in all the major problem of holding onto the ball has been getting better. The offensive line play has gotten better. The timing and meshpoints is getting crisper...and now Vickers is a threat to run. The Panthers started off with a bad loss on their new turf...literally. Then they have rattled off 2 big wins on the road. It was stated earlier that the Panther D is only allowing 1 TD per game and they keep getting better.

Can Rockdale win...sure...but its not what i would call a good bet.

Panthers Roll!

Come on with the come on!

panfan
09-18-2013, 03:10 PM
LH had an obvious problem week zero...put the ball on the ground near 10 times and only lost by 1pt to Giddings. The next week we put the ball on the ground a few times and won by 2 td's over hondo. LH hammered a bad Smithville team.

All in all the major problem of holding onto the ball has been getting better. The offensive line play has gotten better. The timing and meshpoints is getting crisper...and now Vickers is a threat to run. The Panthers started off with a bad loss on their new turf...literally. Then they have rattled off 2 big wins on the road. It was stated earlier that the Panther D is only allowing 1 TD per game and they keep getting better.

Can Rockdale win...sure...but its not what i would call a good bet.

Panthers Roll!

IN three games, the defense has accumulated 19 sacks, almost entirely by the front 4. They are not big by any means, but extremely quick. Rockdale has some big ol boys on that front line, but it seems to me speed may win out at the end of the day.

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Panthers Roll!

:wave:

panfan
09-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Good game Rockdale - Ya'll have some real talent and quick strike ability. I hope the young man that got twisted up in that pile near the end of the game is OK.