PDA

View Full Version : First time you became a Cowboy fan

mwisnews
10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Tell us how you became a Cowboy fan?

I remember my first time, I was Washington and they just won the Super Bowl the year before. My second grade teacher was a Cowboy fan and he and I always were arguing who was better. He laughed at me when the Cowboys beat the Redskins on Monday night on the first game of the season. I laughed at him when Washington won 20-17 on that weird play from the end zone. Both of them got into playoffs, but the Cowboys got a better record of 13-3 and the Redskins barely getting into the playoffs with 9-7. During the Division games, the Cowboys beat the Eagles. I thought that the Redskins would win, but lost 20-10 to the 14-2 49ers. I wanted the Cowboys to beat the 49ers badly. They did beat them and I wanted them to win the Super and which they did. That was ten years ago and I been a Cowboy fan ever since.

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 01:13 PM
I was born... :D

CatWoman
10-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Been a Cowboy fan all my life. I did falter a little after they got rid of Tom Landry. I didn't watch them much that first year. But I still remain a die hard fan.

SintonFan
10-14-2003, 01:20 PM
JasperDog94:
I was born... :D ditto

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 01:24 PM
SintonFan, what's the fan base like in San Antonio and Austin? Is it evenly split between Cowboys and Texans or is there more of one than the other?

Bellville22
10-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Born

underware
10-14-2003, 01:27 PM
NO! NO! Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers Number One! I still have my '45 in my jukebox and still play it!

SintonFan
10-14-2003, 01:39 PM
JasperDog94:
SintonFan, what's the fan base like in San Antonio and Austin? Is it evenly split between Cowboys and Texans or is there more of one than the other?Most people I talk to are Cowboys fans. A few Texan fans are still around, but they are not very vocal right now. LOL
http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-051.gif

pirate4state
10-14-2003, 01:47 PM
It took awhile b/c I was *cringe* a HUGE Niner fan back in the Joe Montana glory days. My first memory of watching a football game was the Niner-Bengal Superbowl (82?). I was 10 and I had no choice b/c we were at one of my dad's friends "party" :D & there were no other girls for me to play with so I was "stuck" watching football (yuck). BUT I fell in love w/ Joe Montana *dreamy look* (hee-hee I know you guys are loving this)

ANYWAY ...

then the following season when I officially started to watch football I was torn between the 49ers & the Cowboys, eventually state pride won out & I've been a Cowboy fan ever since. I still love Joe Montana. I have to admit that I did not watch after they got rid of Tom Landry & they went 1-15 that 1st year. My brother was & is a die hard & loved them through that time period & believes that every year they're going to the Superbowl! Poor boy! :D :D I moved to Dallas in 92 & started my love affair w/ the Boys all over again! Just in time for back to back Superbowls! :D

Sorry for such a long story, but I have nothing else to do right now then too bore you with all the girly details!! eek! :D :D

Ranger Mom
10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Born and raised!!

Back in 88 I lived in California. Evidently a CA team must have been doing good that year and the Cowboys weren't. My now EX-husband was ashamed that I let our boys wear Dallas Cowboys sweats in public. I have always been A DC Fan, even in bad times, he on the other hand only liked them when they were doing good. That is only one of many reason why I "kicked him to the curb"!! :D :D

Wbulldogs
10-14-2003, 02:08 PM
born and raised

Gobbla2001
10-14-2003, 02:34 PM
I was always a fan of Montana, Elway and Moon... I even had an Oilers outfit (shoulder pads and all) with Warren Moon's name and number on it...

So I went for the Oilers if I even ever watched them... Then when I was 8 my mother remarried and my step-father and step-brother's liked the Cowboys... So I went for them...

Then they started playing crappy so I picked back up where I left off and started watching the Broncos... It was a good year, not only did they change their Uni's and make 'em look awesome, they won the Super Bowl... Then the next year as well...

Still go for the Cowboys, but really love my Broncos...

crzyjournalist03
10-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I think it was '92 when I saw my first Super Bowl. Neither of my parents were sports fans, so I hadn't had much experience...naturally growing up in Dallas, everybody at the party was rooting for the Cowboys, so I followed suit, and have been a Cowboys fan ever since.

Wildcat81
10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
As for back as i can remember dallas playing Miami
In 71 or 72 super bowl.

coach2b
10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
I have been a DC fan for about 26 years (oh my). I remeber fighting with my brother in our home because of the Steeler/ Cowboy games.

I also was on a ship (Marine Corps) with about 2500 Redskin fans when the 1989 1-15 Cowboys took out the Deadskins. It was great. The excitement is back for the Boys....

St. Ivender
10-14-2003, 04:16 PM
The earliest recollection I have is when Roger came in for Craig Morton and led the 'Boys back against the 49ers in the early '70s. I've been hooked ever since. When I grew up we had 3 tv stations and the Cowboys played on channel 6 almost every week.

vet93
10-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I have always been a cowboys fan. Sometimes my interest is a littl lacking (like the past 4-5 years) but I have always stuck with them. I can remember crying when I was in elementary school and the Cowboys lost to the Steelers twice :mad: It looks like that the excitment for the team is back!

Bongo
10-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Never was, and never will be.

tomthall
10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
i was always a huge oilers fan cuz i grew up in katy, but i jumped on the bangwagon during the middle of the game during the first of the back-to-back superbowls, they were just so good. right now i'm torn between the old oilers (titans) the new houston team (texans) and still the cowboys. i'm just loyal to all texas teams and never grew out of the oilers when they left.

<small>[ October 14, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: tomthall ]</small>

3afan
10-14-2003, 06:25 PM
i remember when i was a kid and the cowboys lost to the packers in the "ice bowl" i burnt all my packer football cards ...

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 06:31 PM
3afan:
i remember when i was a kid and the cowboys lost to the packers in the "ice bowl" i burnt all my packer football cards ...LOL :D

Chris Hart
10-14-2003, 07:48 PM
A Cowboy here from birth, America's Team baby!

Has anyone else noticed the references to the Cowboys being America's Team lately by the NFL commentators? The same ones that 'tried' to saddle Green Bay with that label a few years back. The Cowboys were still America's Team during the 1-15 season, and will ALWAYS be America's Team. I'm so excited, for some reason now I'm craving TUNAhelper. :D

Bulldog92
10-14-2003, 08:10 PM
The first Cowboys game I ever saw was a preseason game in 1981, at the age of 7, when they lost to the Rams 33-21. I was a huge fan of Danny White and Tony Dorsett after that and have lived and died with the Cowboys ever since. :D

KTownBalla
10-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Cowboy fan since i started watchin football. I think i was in pre-K or kindergarten when my cousin was watchin a cowboys game...and i've been a cowboys fan....unchanging since that day...

and yes...i'm was drinkin da blue kool-aid...

Backwoods
10-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Not yet and don't expect to be.

MARLINFAN
10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Ive been a cowboy fan since 1992. my first year really remembering football was 1991 when the redskins won the super bowl. i stuck with the cowboy even when they were losing. about 1999 i lost interest in pro football and became a big fan of high school and college football. now yast year i started to gain it back with m.vick . now im a Cowboy, M. Vick, Texas, Nebraska and Marlin Bulldog Fan

Jacket2000
10-15-2003, 01:19 AM
How 'bout the moment I STOPPED being a Cowboy fan? The day that Jerry Jones annoucned that Tom Landry was fired(and he neglected to tell Coach Landry about it before the press conference) was the moment I stopped being a Cowboy fan. Then, the day that I attended a HS playoff game at Tx Stadium and I had to pay 10$ just to park, THEN I saw the security refuse to let a woman bring a baby bottle in with her(b/c Jerry Jones cant stand to lose any money on beverage sales) was the day I became anti-Cowboy, anti-Desperado, and anti anything else that puts money in Jerry Jones' pocket.
J2K

espn1
10-15-2003, 03:58 AM
Don Meredith, Walt Garrison, Bob Hayes, and Bob Lilly. That's when it all started for me.
http://images.allposters.com/images/PHOTOFILE/AAEA037.jpg