PDA

View Full Version : How the AP Top 10 Fared (Week 2)

poisoned10
09-14-2013, 09:15 PM
1. Carthage (Win, 52-22 vs. Chapel Hill)
2. Gilmer (Win, 60-20 vs. Jacksonville)
3. Navasota (Win, 83-0 vs. Houston Sterling)
4. Argyle (Win, 53-7 vs. Paris)
5. Kilgore(Win, 56-7 vs. Longview Pine Tree)
6. Stephenville (Win, 46-32 vs. Dillard)
7. Graham (Win, 35-14 vs. Abilene Wylie)
8. Celina (Win, 54-30 vs. Liberty Christian)
9. Port Isabel (Win, 14-0 vs. Raymondville)
10. La Marque (Lost, 24-22 vs. Coldspring)

footballgal
09-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I wonder if the cancelled game vs Raymondville and only 1 1/2 qtr of play, hurts PI.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I wonder if the cancelled game vs Raymondville and only 1 1/2 qtr of play, hurts PI.

I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Most of the voters won't know that the game was called after 1 1/2 quarters with Port Isabel getting ready to score again. They also won't know that PI, to the point the game was stopped, held Raymondville to only 35 total yards and 1 first down. They will only see 14-0 and think: "wow, Raymondville played PI close! PI might be overrated."

poisoned10
09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Most of the voters won't know that the game was called after 1 1/2 quarters with Port Isabel getting ready to score again. They also won't know that PI, to the point the game was stopped, held Raymondville to only 35 total yards and 1 first down. They will only see 14-0 and think: "wow, Raymondville played PI close! PI might be overrated."

Sadly, you are probably correct.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

iFootball
09-15-2013, 01:24 AM
PI is overrated

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 01:46 AM
PI is overrated

See? Case in point right here! Thanks for the board material, friend! Our kids love it!

regaleagle
09-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Depends on which poll you are talking about. Some of the more informative pollsters read this site and garner info here. Let's hope that's the case.

rico
09-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Port Isabel was dominating Raymondville when the game was stopped. PI was on
Rays 11 yard line and getting ready to make it 21-0 with about 5 minutes left in the
1st half. Raymondville had only gained 1 first down in the half and could do nothing
against the Port Isabel Seawall Defense, meanwhile the PI offense could not be stopped.
It was about to get ugly when the Athletic Directors decided to stop the game.

iFootball
09-15-2013, 11:13 AM
PI dominated a Raymondville team. Wharton beat Cuero by 1, rolled by a Houston team then beat a Good Columbia team. La Grange & Bellville are both dominating quality opponents. Somerset put up 40 points on 4A Calhoun. I don understand why PI is ranked over these other Region 4 teams. Then again it's rankings and opinions like the one I'm expressing here. Come playoffs rankings don't matter and the top teams of the region will be decided.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
PI dominated a Raymondville team. Wharton beat Cuero by 1, rolled by a Houston team then beat a Good Columbia team. La Grange & Bellville are both dominating quality opponents. Somerset put up 40 points on 4A Calhoun. I don understand why PI is ranked over these other Region 4 teams. Then again it's rankings and opinions like the one I'm expressing here. Come playoffs rankings don't matter and the top teams of the region will be decided.All the teams you mention have a case for some recognition except Somerset, gave up 63 points to Port Lavaca Calhoun, LaVernia only gave up 53 points to Sandcrabs.

Now about proving it in the playoffs, they did prove it in the playoffs last season and almost the same team, defense is one of the better ones in the region so no doubt they deserve to be ranked up there if rankings are about recognition of teams that look as a team to beat come playoff time.

Weebe
09-15-2013, 11:35 AM
All the teams you mention have a case for some recognition except Somerset, gave up 63 points to Port Lavaca Calhoun, LaVernia only gave up 53 points to Sandcrabs.

Now about proving it in the playoffs, they did prove it in the playoffs last season and almost the same team, defense is one of the better ones in the region so no doubt they deserve to be ranked up there if rankings are about recognition of teams that look as a team to beat come playoff time.

Somerset was extremely overrated last year and was dominated in the 2nd round.

rico
09-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Ask Bellville if Port Isabel belongs on the same field with them.

Scoop27
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Do you have the link where I can find how the other classifications did?
Thanks

Saggy Aggie
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Ask Bellville if Port Isabel belongs on the same field with them.

Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

SintonFan_inAustin
09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and thenLOL!!! Squirrel seems to be not blind anymore

iFootball
09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Ask Bellville if Port Isabel belongs on the same field with them.. I was at the Bellville PI game. Bellville defense completely shut down the PI offense. Not much cheer coming out of the packed PI stands.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
. I was at the Bellville PI game. Bellville defense completely shut down the PI offense. Not much cheer coming out of the packed PI stands.no passing game in that one, never really attempt it despite the 8 man front. They can pass but doesn't seem to be part of their offense.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 02:10 PM
no passing game in that one, never really attempt it despite the 8 man front. They can pass but doesn't seem to be part of their offense.

That's pretty much it. The silly mistakes and turnovers also didn't help matters. IIRC (someone from Bellville can correct me, I want to be accurate) nearly all of Bellville's points were off PI mistakes/penalties/turnovers. I think only a FG by Bellville were the only points that were legit.

hollywood
09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
That's pretty much it. The silly mistakes and turnovers also didn't help matters. IIRC (someone from Bellville can correct me, I want to be accurate) nearly all of Bellville's points were off PI mistakes/penalties/turnovers. I think only a FG by Bellville were the only points that were legit.

The game of football is played to get the ball in the end zone or over and between the up rights to score. Legit points are of that nature Tarpon. No excuses.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 03:02 PM
The game of football is played to get the ball in the end zone or over and between the up rights to score. Legit points are of that nature Tarpon. No excuses.

What I meant by "legit" Mr. Yellowjacket, was points not off turnovers/mistakes made by the Tarpons. There were 2 snaps over the punter's head that led to 9 Bellville points and turnovers deep in Tarpon territory that led to more Bellville points.

rico
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
That night Bellville played the better game and was the better team, PI hopes they get
a chance to even the count if and when they meet up in the playoffs. I have a feeling
the outcome will be reversed.

varsity parent
09-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Why was the game stopped? Weather?

hollywood
09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
What I meant by "legit" Mr. Yellowjacket, was points not off turnovers/mistakes made by the Tarpons. There were 2 snaps over the punter's head that led to 9 Bellville points and turnovers deep in Tarpon territory that led to more Bellville points.

I know, couldn't resist Tarpon Fan. :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Why was the game stopped? Weather?

Yes sir (or ma'am?) There was a very close lightning strike that prompted the referees to send both teams to the locker rooms. Initially, they were only going to delay the game for 30 minutes, but when school officials checked the radar, there were more strong storms about to move into the Raymondville area. So the decision was made by officials from both schools to call off the game, with Port Isabel declared the winner by virtue of the 14-0 lead they were holding when the game was stopped.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I know, couldn't resist Tarpon Fan. :D

Everyone LOVES to rib the Valley peeps. It's ok I know it's all in good fun. You can't resist visiting South Padre. And when you visit South Padre you can't resist wishing you lived in the area. :D

hollywood
09-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Everyone LOVES to rib the Valley peeps. It's ok I know it's all in good fun. You can't resist visiting South Padre. And when you visit South Padre you can't resist wishing you lived in the area. :D

I like to visit for sure, but wouldn't want to live there. ;) I lived in the greater coastal bend and northern valley area 15+ years. Much better in North/Central Texas. :)

Manso/V8
09-15-2013, 06:36 PM

I can't believe you are still talking about that game, could of/should of........like the regular season, but especially against good teams in the playoffs, it is often execution and mistakes that make the difference. La Marque fell to Navasota in part due to deep snap problems.........but they were putting out of their end zone, same with PI. Bellville would have had to play a perfect game, and our best game ever to try to sneak by Navasota, and we didn't. We made mistakes. The Tarpons were a good team last year, Bellville was a better team. The Tarpon defense was good, Bellville didn't play well offensively. Much of that had to do with the PI defense, a lot had to with the Brahmas not playing well offensively. However, the Bellville defense flat dominated the Tarpons offense. If you go back and look at the comments from the PI posters, or listen to the commentators from the RGV audio/video cast, you read/hear things like, "they are so much bigger and faster", "they really are good team", "it's not fair"........

PI has a bunch of key players back this year. I think the Tarpons are far and away the favorite to make it it the quarterfinals out of the Valley. I am certainly more confident that PI will be playing in that game than I am that Bellville will be playing in that game. If the Tarpons make it to the semi-finals or the SC game, we will be cheering for them. Best of luck!

buckeyebob
09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.smoaky.com/hs-scores.php

Do you have the link where I can find how the other classifications did?
Thanks

buckeyebob
09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

You have not been to East Texas...I captured a little blonde long ago from Victoria / Port Lavaca...she is now an East Texas Farm Girl and a Buckeye...they come here to visit

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
You have not been to East Texas...I captured a little blonde long ago from Victoria / Port Lavaca...she is now an East Texas Farm Girl and a Buckeye...they come here to visit

I've been to Gilmer before. Give me the beach at South Padre Island over anything East Texas could possibly offer.

rico
09-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I can't believe you are still talking about that game, could of/should of........like the regular season, but especially against good teams in the playoffs, it is often execution and mistakes that make the difference. La Marque fell to Navasota in part due to deep snap problems.........but they were putting out of their end zone, same with PI. Bellville would have had to play a perfect game, and our best game ever to try to sneak by Navasota, and we didn't. We made mistakes. The Tarpons were a good team last year, Bellville was a better team. The Tarpon defense was good, Bellville didn't play well offensively. Much of that had to do with the PI defense, a lot had to with the Brahmas not playing well offensively. However, the Bellville defense flat dominated the Tarpons offense. If you go back and look at the comments from the PI posters, or listen to the commentators from the RGV audio/video cast, you read/hear things like, "they are so much bigger and faster", "they really are good team", "it's not fair"........

PI has a bunch of key players back this year. I think the Tarpons are far and away the favorite to make it it the quarterfinals out of the Valley. I am certainly more confident that PI will be playing in that game than I am that Bellville will be playing in that game. If the Tarpons make it to the semi-finals or the SC game, we will be cheering for them. Best of luck!
Classy post. Good luck in your season and hope to meet up with the Brahmas in the playoffs.

speedbump
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how many pine cones you have to plant,to call yourself an east Texas farmer.

poisoned10
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how many pine cones you have to plant,to call yourself an east Texas farmer.

All of them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Manso/V8
09-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I've been to Gilmer before. Give me the beach at South Padre Island over anything East Texas could possibly offer.

.......yet you don't live there, don't you live south of Houston?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-15-2013, 09:47 PM
.......yet you don't live there, don't you live south of Houston?

I'm a Port Isabel/South Padre native, but I now live in Houston proper just north of Downtown. I also used to live in Dallas for a time, and used to take drives to various locales in East Texas to watch football games.

waterboy
09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I've been all over this great state, and I can't think of a better place to live than East Texas. Of course, if you were born and raised here it is home. I guess if I were born somewhere else in the state I'd feel that place was where I would want to be. It's all a matter of opinion. It's nice to visit other parts of the state, including the beaches on the gulf, but I wouldn't want to live there.

hollywood
09-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I've been all over this great state, and I can't think of a better place to live than East Texas. Of course, if you were born and raised here it is home. I guess if I were born somewhere else in the state I'd feel that place was where I would want to be. It's all a matter of opinion. It's nice to visit other parts of the state, including the beaches on the gulf, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yep, I agree to an extent. I spent most of my life in North/Central Texas. Born in Paris, but moved shortly after down South. List goes like this... Talco, Carrizo Springs, Brownwood, Corpus Christi, Refugio, Brownwood, Houston, Aransas Pass, Brownwood, Fort Worth, Brownwood and now Stephenville for the past 18 years. :)

toddg
09-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Yep, I agree to an extent. I spent most of my life in North/Central Texas. Born in Paris, but moved shortly after down South. List goes like this... Talco, Carrizo Springs, Brownwood, Corpus Christi, Refugio, Brownwood, Houston, Aransas Pass, Brownwood, Fort Worth, Brownwood and now Stephenville for the past 18 years. :)

Ty Murrey can relate! lol!!

lostaussie
09-16-2013, 08:01 AM
... Talco :) TALCO...............not there is a booming metropolis for you:D

hollywood
09-16-2013, 01:06 PM
TALCO...............not there is a booming metropolis for you:D

LOL, exactly! Family ranch was there.

lostaussie
09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Hanging out down by White Oak Creek Ranch?

Smitty
09-16-2013, 07:15 PM
LOL, exactly! Family ranch was there.

Did you know any of the Coopers from Talco?

Corn Cob
09-16-2013, 07:50 PM
PI is overrated

That's an understatement!

OLE'BULL
09-16-2013, 07:58 PM

That game was not even as close as the score showed. Sorry TarponFan, Bellville dominated PI. Discipline is a key component of a good team, so mistakes, penalties, blah blah are all factored in. PI was a hair above average and wouldn't have made it that far if they weren't in that region. That being said, I know they have some good players back and will probably be better than last year. Wouldn't mind meeting up for a rematch either. Good luck to the Tarpons!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-16-2013, 08:11 PM
That's an understatement!

Keep it up! Our kids LOVE it! :)

hollywood
09-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Hanging out down by White Oak Creek Ranch?

No clue, I was only months old when we moved! :)

hollywood
09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Did you know any of the Coopers from Talco?

No clue, I was months old when we moved South.

buckeyebob
09-17-2013, 05:04 AM

Bust your theory...

Born in San Antonio

Moved to Gilmer @ age 3 days old

Never wanted to live in San Antonio

Sorry...

buckeyebob
09-17-2013, 05:05 AM

Talco has just about disappeared...beatiful old school is crumbling.

waterboy
09-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Bust your theory...

Born in San Antonio

Moved to Gilmer @ age 3 days old

Never wanted to live in San Antonio

Sorry...

I guess I should have added "born AND raised" in the second sentence. My theory is still good, except for the few that were smart enough to move to East Texas at an early age...:D

waterboy
09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Talco has just about disappeared...beatiful old school is crumbling.

The oilfield is just about tapped out in that area. That little community has died.