PDA

View Full Version : What is the ruling on this?

Emerson1
09-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Offense has the ball around midfield. They run it and a defenders helmet comes off while the ball carrier is around the 20. Defender pursues play (is flagged for the penalty). Ball carrier fumbles at the 1 (knocked out not showboating) into the endzone and the defense recovers.

Whose ball is it and where should it be spotted? And why?

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Offense has the ball around midfield. They run it and a defenders helmet comes off while the ball carrier is around the 20. Defender pursues play (is flagged for the penalty). Ball carrier fumbles at the 1 (knocked out not showboating) into the endzone and the defense recovers.

If there's a penalty on the defense, then I'd guess and say that's there's no chance it's the defense's ball unless that were a dead ball penalty. As far as spotting it.... Idk honestly. I'd guess the yardage marked off from the spot of the foul?

Interesting scenario

GrTigers6
09-14-2013, 12:00 AM
It should be a live ball foul on the defense 15 yards from the spot if the fumble which would be half the distance 1 at and goal. Unless I missed something behind midnight just worked back to back 6 man games.both of which were 45 point rules in the fourth.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-14-2013, 12:06 AM
I'll give my response after a few more beers. Sound like a complicated mess that only a slightly buzzed person could figure out.

Emerson1
09-14-2013, 12:10 AM
I'll give my response after a few more beers. Sound like a complicated mess that only a slightly buzzed person could figure out.

Check our "H-Hour" coming on the Ps4. It's from the creative director of........................................... Socom II.

If you are still into that stuff of course.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Check our "H-Hour" coming on the Ps4. It's from the creative director of........................................... Socom II.

If you are still into that stuff of course.

I'll be playing GTA 5 for a good long while, I think.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-14-2013, 12:56 AM

To my knowledge, if a defender loses his hat during a play it still is not a penalty if he keeps pursuing the runner. Since the ball carrier fumbled at the 1 (before crossing the plane of the goal line) and the defense recovered in the endzone, it should be called a touchback. Defense team's ball at the 20.

Now, if there's some newfangled rule about losing your helmet and pursuing the play which results in a penalty that I wasn't aware of.....that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing. I think, if the penalty is on the defense, since it occurred BEFORE the fumble, it would be Offense's ball and I'd mark it at the spot where the fumble took place. In this instance, the 1 yard line. 1st & goal at the 1 yard line.

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2013, 06:30 AM
I don't think that the lost helmet rule stops play, unless it's the ball carrier. I don't know as fact, but I think it should be defense ball on the 10. 15-yard penalty, but it would be marked off as 1/2 the distance.

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Now, if there's some newfangled rule about losing your helmet and pursuing the play which results in a penalty that I wasn't aware of......Yes, newfangled rule - player must immediately leave the game & sit out the next down OR the team forfeit one timeout. If he continues to play after losing, it's 15-yards.

TexMike
09-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Continuing to participate after you lose your helmet is a foul that carries a 15 yard penalty. It is enforced from the Basic Spot which is the end of the run in this play. The end of the run is spot of the fumble so go 1/2 distance from there. Offense keeps the ball.

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Continuing to participate after you lose your helmet is a foul that carries a 15 yard penalty. It is enforced from the Basic Spot which is the end of the run in this play. The end of the run is spot of the fumble so go 1/2 distance from there. Offense keeps the ball.Thank you for the clarification. I guess it's a good thing I'm not wearing striped shirts on Friday nights. :)

GrTigers6
09-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Continuing to participate after you lose your helmet is a foul that carries a 15 yard penalty. It is enforced from the Basic Spot which is the end of the run in this play. The end of the run is spot of the fumble so go 1/2 distance from there. Offense keeps the ball.

That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier. just was half asleep. :doh: