PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss at University of Texas Saturday on Longhorn Network

Scoop27
09-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Will find a place to watch this at Pizza Hut in Wharton or Mr Gatti's in El Camp.
Can the Longhorns bounce back from last week's humiliating loss to BYU or will it be a repeast.

Horns’ sluggish starts: No gains, plenty of pains
s incompetent as the Longhorns were overall at Brigham Young last week, they managed to snap at least one string of futility during their 40-21 defeat.

They scored a touchdown in the first quarter. It had been a while.

David Ash’s 57-yard pass to Mike Davis that produced a brief 7-3 lead was the Longhorns’ first touchdown in an opening quarter in their last five games, dating back to 2012.

In their previous four games — losses to TCU and Kansas State and the Alamo Bowl victory over Oregon State last year, and then this year’s opener with New Mexico State — the Longhorns produced only a pair of field goals.

Texas, which hosts 25th-ranked Mississippi on Saturday, is 2-3 in those last five games and needed an inspired fourth-quarter comeback to beat Oregon State by four points in the Alamo Bowl.

The Longhorns were so bad offensively early on against New Mexico that they failed to score at all until 1:48 remained in the first half. And yet, after gaining only 136 yards in the first 27 minutes of the game, Texas finished with a school-record 715 yards and a 56-7 victory.

The first-quarter ineptitude this season has included a fumble and failure to convert on third and fourth downs in short-yardage situations.

On Texas’ first drive of the season, Mike Davis fumbled inside the New Mexico State 25 after a 19-yard gain on a pass from Ash. Later in the first quarter, tailback Johnathan Gray was stopped on fourth-and-2

The problems sustaining offense continued into the second quarter, when Ash threw two interceptions.

Lack of production on third-and-shorts manifested again during the first two series at BYU. Daje Johnson didn’t make it on third-and-2. Then Gray was stuffed on third-and-1.

“On the first third down Saturday, we had someone (Johnson) go the wrong way,” coach Mack Brown said. “It was blocked well.”

As for the second time, Brown gave credit to BYU for stopping Gray.

“We knew they’d be really hard to block up front,” Brown said. “They are strong and physical.”

The Longhorns, not so much. The offensive line, beleaguered for the past several years, failed to gain traction against BYU.

“We have to do a better job of keying on who we are supposed to block,” Gray said.

Gray did not point specifically at the line, and Brown said, “There is a lot more involved. At the end of the year we’ll look back and say this is the best offensive line we’ve had in a while. I’m still standing by that.”

Mason Walters, the senior right guard, said he’d gladly assign blame entirely to the line if that would foster rectification of the issues.

“I wish we could throw it all on the offensive line and say, ‘look guys, this is on you,’” Walters said. “But there are some other things we can do as a team to get better.”

Now the Longhorns face Mississippi without Johnson, out with an ankle injury. Ash is questionable with injuries to his head and shoulder.

Rectifying deficiencies won’t be easier without one, or both, of them.

Walters has some theories about the slow starts.

“A lot of guys doing right, and a couple guys doing wrong things on a play,” he said. “You have to get 11 guys on the same page. When you are not executing, you just have guys running around. You have to understand it’s not OK to almost do it right.”

Walters continued, “Sometimes you have a couple guys testing the water, feeling their way through stuff. You have to lay it out there from snap one, full-speed. I’m not saying guys aren’t playing hard in the first quarter, it’s just that the energy could be more focused.”
-

regaleagle
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Doesn't sound to me like the Longhorns are a "team" yet. They've had the same amount of time as everybody else...so why aren't they ready??? I'd say it points to the coaches. The players obviously have the talent and skill level to compete...but are failing, or at least faltering. Injuries cannot be used as an excuse. NMSU game is understandable...bad start but great finish. The BYU game is not. Totally underprepared and not ready. NO EXCUSES. You cannot put this on the players, imo. It was obvious there were serious shortcomings from the coaches getting these players ready to play. And maybe even playing the wrong players....who knows???

D'Highlander
09-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Good, its on LHN... That way most of the nation wont see the shame...

Emerson1
09-13-2013, 01:56 PM
If you know someone with the LHN you can use their login that they use for their provider and stream the LHN on your computer in HD. Or hook it up to your TV.

1st and goal
09-13-2013, 02:02 PM
If you know someone with the LHN you can use their login that they use for their provider and stream the LHN on your computer in HD. Or hook it up to your TV.
Why would anyone want to do that? Except maybe some Ole Miss fans.

Scoop27
09-14-2013, 11:23 AM
An ashen-faced Mack Brown, looking like he’d aged four years in the previous four hours, took his seat for the post-game postmortem and said this, among other things:

“It’s unacceptable. That’s the way I feel, that’s the way the players feel and how the coaches feel. It’s not a proud moment for us.”

For the record, this particular comment from Texas’ head coach didn’t come last week. It certainly could have, though, after the Longhorns’ 40-21 meltdown at Brigham Young.

But, no, Brown uttered those words on Oct. 13, 2012, in the moments after a beatdown to Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. The final score was 63-21. Perhaps you remember it.

Beginning in 2010, when the program went off the tracks, the Longhorns have endured an alarming number of the kinds of meltdowns and beatdowns that could make them really, well, down for their following game. Since 2010, they’ve lost six games by at least two touchdowns. They’ve won half of the follow-up games, including three of the last four.

That might give them a glimmer of hope as No. 25-ranked Mississippi visits Royal-Memorial Stadium, bent on avenging a 66-31 loss in Oxford last year.

But the Texas teams that previously bounced back from lopsided losses didn’t have to deal with the kinds of issues and distractions that have deluged this team over the past six days.

For starters, the defense has a new coordinator — Greg Robinson, who served as co-coordinator with secondary coach Duane Akina on the 2004 Rose Bowl championship team. Brown dismissed Manny Diaz on Sunday, one day after Texas allowed a school-record 550 rushing yards to BYU.

The bigger issue, however, might be on offense. Quarterback David Ash has been ruled out because of the head and right shoulder injuries he incurred last week. Tailback/slot receiver Daje Johnson, the team’s most explosive weapon, definitely is out with an injury to his left ankle.

Of course, the BYU debacle triggered the customary fan angst that accompanies a Longhorns’ loss. That certainly is not new to Brown or the players.

“They understand when you lose at Texas, it’s bad. When you lose like we did Saturday night, it’s real bad,” Brown said. “They’ve been around long enough to understand what’s going to be said after the games. That’s fair.”

But this feels different. Many fans already were on the brink, or over it, entering the season because of UT’s poor showings the past two years against Oklahoma. After Brown spent the offseason preaching Texas was ready to “make a run” back to BCS prominence, the ineptitude at BYU triggered an avalanche of vitriol and Internet speculation and rumors unprecedented in Brown’s 16 years as coach.

“Everybody understands you don’t turn on a computer, you don’t turn on TV and you don’t read a newspaper after a loss at Texas, or a close win,” Brown said. “I learned that 16 years ago. I didn’t have to be told this week that people would be upset.”

They’ve been so upset that men’s athletics director DeLoss Dodds told the American-Statesman on Wednesday that Brown still has his unqualified support.

Even players say they are purposely avoiding the fan and media frenzy. Defensive back Quandre Diggs, who is approaching 27,000 tweets, spent several days this week off of Twitter. He said it hasn’t been difficult to block out the outcry.

“Not for me, anyway, because I don’t care what y’all say, honestly,” Diggs told the media on Tuesday. “What’s inside Moncrief (Texas’ football complex) is what I care about. I just want to stay inside the building and continue to work, and quit talking about it on social media.”

Robinson’s impact probably will be minimal after having had only three full practices with the defense. Brown, though, said he hopes Robinson can reinforce better tackling techniques.

With Ash unavailable, Case McCoy will start, freshman Tyrone Swoopes will back him up, and redshirt freshman Jalen Overstreet will be the emergency No. 3 option.

McCoy has six starts — going 3-3 — among 23 career appearances. He has thrown 13 touchdown passes, but also has seven interceptions. But fans will remember his big performances at Texas A&M in 2011 and at Kansas in 2012.

“He’s been around a long time,” Brown said. “It’s not like we’d be starting a guy who’s never been out there. There won’t be panic if David’s not ready to go.”

Indeed, the Longhorns seem more intent on trying to rectify the BYU pratfall than worrying about who might or might not suit up.

Safety Adrian Phillips called Texas’ last outing “a slap in the face” and “hopefully a wake-up call.” Just about every player made available to the media during the week dutifully recited the old adage about not letting one bad loss beat them twice.

“This is Texas, and we’re going to get our stuff done,” defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat said. “We’re going to get it corrected.”

Brown certainly hopes so.

Macarthur
09-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Would like to watch but can't. Lhn backfiring?

bobcat1
09-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Who cares about the Longhorns. The game to watch is on at Kyle Field.:2thumbsup

Buff42
09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
There were more people in line to get A&M-Bama tickets this week than there are subscribers to LHN.

cougartino
09-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Does LHN stand for losers have nothing?

bobcat1
09-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Does LHN stand for losers have nothing?

Close.... Losers Home Network

regaleagle
09-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Amen, bobcat1.. UT may have to rearrange their broadcasts if they want their fans back, lol. So far, they are making mistake after mistake after mistake with their uppityness. Need to get back to the fans and the grass roots. Until then, I'm not interested.

Scoop27
09-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Think some of the real Longhorn fans are in hiding and not showing their true colors-Once DeLoss and Mack are gone things will turn around

Elmo
09-14-2013, 03:52 PM
All those Horn haters will be riding there jock when the start winning again.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Ole Miss took it right down the field with ease.

Phil C
09-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Updates please.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Ole Miss up 7-0.

8:45 1st

Texas goes three and out on their first series. Ole Miss in Texas territory now.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 07:26 PM
14-0 now.

8:26 1st

18-yard td pass.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Texas answers.

McCoy 13-yard td pass to Davis.

14-7 Ole Miss

3:50 1st

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 08:06 PM
14-10 Ole Miss.

10:50 2nd.

Ole Miss in Texas territory right now.

Sprint cell service sucks here at the stadium.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Ole Miss turns it over on downs.

Texas drives 69 yards for a td.

Gray...8-yard td run.

17-14 Texas

8:27 2nd

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Wallace fumbles on next Old Miss series.

Texas recovers at 18-yard line.

hollywood
09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Sa-weet!!

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Texas gets a field goal out of it.

20-14 Texas.

6:08 2nd

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Ole Miss goes three and out on their next possession.

Texas kicks a field goal with 35 seconds left in the half.

Ole Miss kicks a field goal of their own to end the half. Ole Miss with a long completion over the middle plus a late hit added on.

23-17 Texas at the half.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Ole Miss leads 24-23.

Wallace 15 yard td run.

6:21 3rd

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Ole Miss scores again.

Wallace to Engram 17- yard pass.

31-23 Ole Miss.

1:45 3rd

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Just like that, Ole Miss returns a punt for a td.

37-23

:09 3rd

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Texas offense disappeared in the third quarter.

4th qtr about to start.

Texas with good return to the Ole Miss 49.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:50 PM

4th qtr about to start.

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Nothing doing... Texas goes three and out.

Eagle1
09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Where are all the top recruits Texas gets?

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Texas punts, pins Ole Miss at their own 1- yard line.

Rebels don't gain a yard and give the ball back to Texas.

Texas takes over at the Rebels 46.

Cam
09-14-2013, 10:09 PM

4th qtr about to start.

That double post just gave me a sense of deja vu roughneck!!!:vrycnfsd:

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
McCoy fumbles at the 41...

Ole Miss scores three plays later.

44-23

DKR clearing out.

bobcat1
09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Good bye Mack!:wave:

YTBulldogs
09-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Texas is soft. No fight. Over 800 rushing yards given up in 7 days. Sad times for us UT fans.:doh:

Aesculus gilmus
09-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Good bye Mack!:wave:

No, it's goodbye to all of you who are not "friends of the program."

Mack ain't going anywhere. He will likely have a toe tag on him when he is finally carted out of Bellmont.

He said earlier in the week you'd have to wait until 2020 for him even to consider leaving his "job for life" and President Powers seconded that.

What I don't understand is why the third-largest crowd in history showed up to watch another epic beatdown to go with the epic beatdown in Provo which should have diminished the crowd tonight.

Will the next home game draw the second-largest crowd in history now?

Roughneck93
09-14-2013, 10:34 PM
44-23

Final

Scoop27
09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Myself and one other friend were the only two watching the game at Mr Gatti's Pizza in El Campo and the workers were waiting for us to leave. What a fiasco. Major Applewhite is partly to blame with his poor play calling. No offense at all in the second half

YTBulldogs
09-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Rush defense=loss. PITIFUL!!!!! Nearly 900 yards in 7 days rushing against you? Really? Clean house. New DC Robinson said he was happy with "D" effort. OMG, is he drunk. Bring Manny back ASAP.:vrycnfsd:

Saggy Aggie
09-14-2013, 11:19 PM
LOL. Where's msu to tell me how good the big 12 is?

Matthew328
09-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I dont feel near as bad about TCU's crap performance on Thursday...Texas is a team w/no identity and no heart....they are front runners who as soon as someone punches them in the mouth folds up....its sad to see all that individual talent just flushed away

Cam
09-14-2013, 11:31 PM
I hear Phil C canceled his Longhorn Network subscription somewhere round the 3rd quarter and started watchin' some quidditch match on a foreign channel!.....:doh:

Weebe
09-15-2013, 12:21 AM
LOL. Where's msu to tell me how good the big 12 is?

He also said the Big XII is balanced. Can't argue with that.

Txbroadcaster
09-15-2013, 12:23 AM
I dont feel near as bad about TCU's crap performance on Thursday...Texas is a team w/no identity and no heart....they are front runners who as soon as someone punches them in the mouth folds up....its sad to see all that individual talent just flushed away

UT did not give up this game..they were down 14-0 which I thought was about too be a 56-0 type of game..they ran off 23 points in a row...2nd half offense could not get a first down and the D wore down

Weebe
09-15-2013, 12:29 AM
UT did not give up this game..they were down 14-0 which I thought was about too be a 56-0 type of game..they ran off 23 points in a row...2nd half offense could not get a first down and the D wore down

They were outscored 27-0 in the 2nd half...

Matthew328
09-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Will Lyles having some fun on twitter now also....he's highly amused by the happenings in Austin...if its not a lack of heart, its a total lack of toughness and its a program wide issue..

Txbroadcaster
09-15-2013, 12:39 AM
They were outscored 27-0 in the 2nd half...

yes they were..big difference in a team quitting and a team getting wore down..when the offense is going 3 and out every drive the D is going to wear out...Texas D was supposed to be built to stop the Big spread teams..mean not alot of size..so if a team starts grinding on them they will get grinded down..especially if the offense cant make 10 yards

Weebe
09-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Whatever makes you feel good.

Txbroadcaster
09-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Whatever makes you feel good.

as a UT fan none of it makes me feel good..same results either way

cougartino
09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Until they find the pictures and all negatives, Mack Brown's not going anywhere.

regaleagle
09-15-2013, 05:35 AM
I'm gonna say y'all are wrong about that. I've seen some things happen in Austin over the years, and when it comes to the football program nothing is etched in stone. My gut feeling says by the end of the season Mack will be asked to take his golden parachute and take a dive....for the good of the University. Just my personal opinion about how things work when things are broke in the football program at UT. You don't really expect them to say differently in the midst of the season, do you??? Of course not....that would be too wreckless and cause too much additional damage to an already hurting program. No...they'll limp thru the rest of this season, see how it goes, and then make their determinations. That's the way they'll handle this problem. It's more politically correct to do it this way.

Besides, they need the time to consider their options. This will be a major move to make. They want to make the right decision.

LHdog
09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Mack Brown career paralleling Phil Fullmor at Tennessee. I watched the game last night and they have more problems than defense. They are just not a very good team. They may be a .500 team if they are lucky. Both Mack and Deloss are gone this year.

LionFan72
09-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Discussions and cussin, I see Mack promoted to AD, with no coaching duties. Why, recruiting abilities. Whom the new coach will be, don't have a clue, but we need a new leader in Austin.

Saggy Aggie
09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Sure wish A&M could play Texas this year....

Emerson1
09-15-2013, 09:13 AM

27-25.

Texas can still make it to a Cotton bowl match up against A&M.

Celina8
09-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Mack Brown career paralleling Phil Fullmor at Tennessee. I watched the game last night and they have more problems than defense. They are just not a very good team. They may be a .500 team if they are lucky. Both Mack and Deloss are gone this year.

This is exactly the Truth... and look how long it is taking Tennessee to recover. From Football, basketball, baseball, Texas has to make changes. Football can wait to after the season, but baseball should have been as soon as the season was over and the same with basketball.

Texas is going to start having the top kids in Texas drop like flies.

Scoop27
09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.statesman.com/videos/news/horns-lose-second-straight/vCCTww/

1st and goal
09-15-2013, 11:45 AM

With the marquis matchup's A&M has with Bama and LSU, there is absolutely no reason to play UT in the near future and out. Deloss threw a 2018 bone in the air as an offer when he was mad we were leaving. Now that we know the tremendous matchup with Bama every year supercedes almost any other game, why would we want to give UT a piece of our pie annual pie? I say we give them exactly what they offered us. A "Maybe in 5 years" offer.

Saggy Aggie
09-15-2013, 12:02 PM
27-25.

Texas can still make it to a Cotton bowl match up against A&M.

Hahaha Emerson you're delusional

Saggy Aggie
09-15-2013, 12:04 PM
With the marquis matchup's A&M has with Bama and LSU, there is absolutely no reason to play UT in the near future and out. Deloss threw a 2018 bone in the air as an offer when he was mad we were leaving. Now that we know the tremendous matchup with Bama every year supercedes almost any other game, why would we want to give UT a piece of our pie annual pie? I say we give them exactly what they offered us. A "Maybe in 5 years" offer.

That's great and all and I see what you're saying... I just wish we could b***h slap their defense this year

Roughneck93
09-15-2013, 12:07 PM
That's great and all and I see what you're saying... I just wish we could b***h slap their defense this year

It would get ugly quick...:ack!:

Buff42
09-15-2013, 12:24 PM
This just in: It was just announced that Mack Brown has fired the Head Groundskeeper "for failing to provide an advantageous playing surface."

1st and goal
09-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes, Buff42, my neighbors (whom you know) texted my wife last night after aggies lost, "Get Whooped"
Still debating on what to text them back after the longharns got their teeth kicked in again. Any ideas?

Emerson1
09-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I think I might he less panicked then this time last week. It's hard to judge with Case in the game. Texas is sadly the only FBS school he could start for.

coach
09-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I think I might he less panicked then this time last week. It's hard to judge with Case in the game. Texas is sadly the only FBS school he could start for.

Will ash be ready for k state?

Buff42
09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes, Buff42, my neighbors (whom you know) texted my wife last night after aggies lost, "Get Whooped"
Still debating on what to text them back after the longharns got their teeth kicked in again. Any ideas?

My reply would depend on if they're actual Texas Exes or tshirt teasips.......I give actual alums a little more respect than the other kind

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 06:47 AM
If I were a aggie T-Shirt fan I would be wanting more then playing Texas this year, do you guys feel just because you lost on Saturday that your NC chances are gone. Man it is just the third game of the year, Alabama is not all that good this year, Yes their QB is solid but their D is not much better then the aggie's. No doubt the aggies are the best football team in Texas this year, seems like aggie fans are more worried about being better then the Longhorns then winning a NC. That possibility of a NC is still there, gotta keep playing the game.

1st and goal
09-16-2013, 08:45 AM
If I were a aggie T-Shirt fan I would be wanting more then playing Texas this year, do you guys feel just because you lost on Saturday that your NC chances are gone. Man it is just the third game of the year, Alabama is not all that good this year, Yes their QB is solid but their D is not much better then the aggie's. No doubt the aggies are the best football team in Texas this year, seems like aggie fans are more worried about being better then the Longhorns then winning a NC. That possibility of a NC is still there, gotta keep playing the game.

You are certifiably crazy hook. The Bama defense is good and will only get better throughout the year. They have injuries. You just can't accept that the aggie O is that good.

Buff42, they are just T-shirt fans. I should let you handle them. :)

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 08:55 AM
You are certifiably crazy hook. The Bama defense is good and will only get better throughout the year. They have injuries. You just can't accept that the aggie O is that good.

Buff42, they are just T-shirt fans. I should let you handle them. :)

Manziel and Evans are off the chart good , I have said that more then once but the Aggie D not very good. Yes Johnny football had everything to do with the Bama D looking a little weak , after looking at Bama schedule it looks like there is no way Aggie's make the NC game so maybe hoping for a A&M- Texas matchup is all you have to look forward to. Bama- Oregon in the NC game, that should be quite a game. Also if you talking about me being a T-Shirt fans, that would be yes for any team I pull for. Do not have the college degree , has not hurt me much as for as making money but would not want my son not getting a degree. Just a fan of the game , more so in baseball then football. I can live with that.

Buff42
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Hook- as was pointed out in another thread (I can't take credit for the research), A&M's D is statistically better than Bama's. It ain't good, I agree (last year's D won the Bama game more than any other factor, imo), but it's better than Bama's on paper.

As for being myopic about A&M currently being better than tu, well yeah I guess I am to a certain degree. I've said this before- tu has the best facilities, the most money, the coolest town, it's own network, the largest tshirt fan following in the country, etc etc. Anything less than being in contention for a national title shouldn't be acceptable in Austin- year in and year out. Horn fans are just now falling out of love with Mack Brown- many of those same fans are too young to remember that his head was being called for before VY came to town and carried the entire program to the 05 national championship.

Being an Aggie fan year in and year out, through thick and thin (there were games back in the day when we kissed our dates on first downs instead of touchdowns because we didn't score much), we are accustomed to the teasips' superior attitudes. It's humorous to see all of the tshirt teasips so verklempt these days having to endure what we have endured so often. The other thing that less informed tshirt teasips seem to forget is the cyclical nature of college football. These are the most obnoxious fans and the ones I love to harangue. If you think I'm wrong about this, go look at the record between tu and A&M since scholarship limits were put in place in 1973 (I'll save you some research- it's a dead even tie and ran in 3 to 5 year cycles).

Eventually tu will bite the bullet and make the necessary changes in its athletic program and come out on top once again. In the mean time, A&M IS THE BEST TEAM IN THE STATE without a doubt. We played the current #1 team (and back-to-back National Champs) to within one touchdown. By Saban's own admission, Sumlin took 10 years off of his life. A&M is that good this year- we were one or two defensive stops from winning the game. If the D improves over the next few weeks to the point we can handle LSU in Death Valley, A&M will be in a position for a pick 6 if Alabama stumbles at any point during the season (no, I don't really think Bama will stumble, but who knows).

It's just a sorry shame that things turned out the way they did and tu won't be on our schedule this year...............

Scoop27
09-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Mac's press conference at 1 p.m. today will tell fans a lot even with excuses. There are so many more Longhorn fans out here and will always wear their orange and while and could care less what the Aggies do. Our program will be back up way before this decade is over-with a new AD and new coach. Still thing all you Aggies are still and always be jealous of the UT program. So know yall are ragging on it while it is down

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Hook- as was pointed out in another thread (I can't take credit for the research), A&M's D is statistically better than Bama's. It ain't good, I agree (last year's D won the Bama game more than any other factor, imo), but it's better than Bama's on paper.

As for being myopic about A&M currently being better than tu, well yeah I guess I am to a certain degree. I've said this before- tu has the best facilities, the most money, the coolest town, it's own network, the largest tshirt fan following in the country, etc etc. Anything less than being in contention for a national title shouldn't be acceptable in Austin- year in and year out. Horn fans are just now falling out of love with Mack Brown- many of those same fans are too young to remember that his head was being called for before VY came to town and carried the entire program to the 05 national championship.

Being an Aggie fan year in and year out, through thick and thin (there were games back in the day when we kissed our dates on first downs instead of touchdowns because we didn't score much), we are accustomed to the teasips' superior attitudes. It's humorous to see all of the tshirt teasips so verklempt these days having to endure what we have endured so often. The other thing that less informed tshirt teasips seem to forget is the cyclical nature of college football. These are the most obnoxious fans and the ones I love to harangue. If you think I'm wrong about this, go look at the record between tu and A&M since scholarship limits were put in place in 1973 (I'll save you some research- it's a dead even tie and ran in 3 to 5 year cycles).

Eventually tu will bite the bullet and make the necessary changes in its athletic program and come out on top once again. In the mean time, A&M IS THE BEST TEAM IN THE STATE without a doubt. We played the current #1 team (and back-to-back National Champs) to within one touchdown. By Saban's own admission, Sumlin took 10 years off of his life. A&M is that good this year- we were one or two defensive stops from winning the game. If the D improves over the next few weeks to the point we can handle LSU in Death Valley, A&M will be in a position for a pick 6 if Alabama stumbles at any point during the season (no, I don't really think Bama will stumble, but who knows).

It's just a sorry shame that things turned out the way they did and tu won't be on our schedule this year...............

Nice solid post and the Longhorn Network SUCKS, I think the main problem at Texas right now all starts with Dodds. Most know that the football program is not the only sport that needs changing , every school goes thru these cycle at some point and even Alabama just not under Saban. No doubt the aggies played Bama toe to toe however looking at schedules even if Bama was to lose one down the road they will still have the win over the aggies which most likely put them in the NC game and I doubt very seriously they will ever pit two SEC teams in the NC game. That will possibly only happen in the playoff system. I give credit to Manziel and the Alabama players on Saturday, I did not see much if any smack talk among the players other then when Yeldon scored which Saban ripped his ass. Not questioning the personal foul call on Yeldon but do you think the refs call a personal foul on him if they did not know that is what Manziel does after he scores, just an honest question.

Emerson1
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't get the hate for the LHN or why people think it's terrible. The programming is actually pretty good. What fan wouldn't want a dedicated pregame and postgame show for their team? Plus original programming throughout the week.

Saggy Aggie
09-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Mac's press conference at 1 p.m. today will tell fans a lot even with excuses. There are so many more Longhorn fans out here and will always wear their orange and while and could care less what the Aggies do. Our program will be back up way before this decade is over-with a new AD and new coach. Still thing all you Aggies are still and always be jealous of the UT program. So know yall are ragging on it while it is down

Can you try that again using English?

Saggy Aggie
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Nice solid post and the Longhorn Network SUCKS, I think the main problem at Texas right now all starts with Dodds. Most know that the football program is not the only sport that needs changing , every school goes thru these cycle at some point and even Alabama just not under Saban. No doubt the aggies played Bama toe to toe however looking at schedules even if Bama was to lose one down the road they will still have the win over the aggies which most likely put them in the NC game and I doubt very seriously they will ever pit two SEC teams in the NC game. That will possibly only happen in the playoff system. I give credit to Manziel and the Alabama players on Saturday, I did not see much if any smack talk among the players other then when Yeldon scored which Saban ripped his ass. Not questioning the personal foul call on Yeldon but do you think the refs call a personal foul on him if they did not know that is what Manziel does after he scores, just an honest question.

I think the reason he got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was for the throat slash motion not the money thing. If I'm not mistaken, that is specifically prohibited.

1st and goal
09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I am a T-shirt fan too. However, I did pay for my ex-wife to graduate from there. So, I have paid into the "system". :)

Plus, I did live in Austin as a bleeding maroon T-shirt fan for over 10 years. Catching hell many of those years as the only employee of over 100 that was an aggie fan. So, I have paid into the "system". :)

My lovely current wife's family goes back to class of '39. My FIL is an aggie and a diehard football/baseball program fan.

Since I have worked with fans of both teams, I consider myself qualified to judge the average fan/co-worker. And in that consideration, I'd rather work with aggies anyday than with orange bloods. JMO.

1st and goal
09-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Scoop, I thought you were a journalist???

Scoop27
09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Former journalist-Just a free lance writer (stringer)

Buff42
09-16-2013, 11:19 AM
I doubt very seriously they will ever pit two SEC teams in the NC game. That will possibly only happen in the playoff system.

You're kidding right? Is that LG water rusting your brain? Or do you need to be drug tested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_BCS_National_Championship_Game

I'm not saying A&M would be fortunate enough to end up in this position, I'm just countering your claim that "THEY" (whoever THEY is) would pit two SEC teams in the BCS title game. Seriously, didn't yo momma teach you to think before you speak?????

Scoop27
09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
As expected-Mack said little of nothing in his press conference-Saying now goal to win Big 12-Gave typical excuses of what happened and what they have to do to fix it. Questions from media were pretty direct but he had an answer for everything as usual

New Taiton
09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't get the hate for the LHN or why people think it's terrible. The programming is actually pretty good. What fan wouldn't want a dedicated pregame and postgame show for their team? Plus original programming throughout the week.

It's not that LHN is bad for the fan base, but it does hinder the university, especially in a year when they're going to replace the head coach for the most coveted coaching position in the country.

The reason I think it hinders UT is because they'll have to replace Mack Brown with a coach who is just as open and media friendly as he is. Let's be honest, Mack is a much more of a figure head than he is a coach. He's in charge of recruiting elite talent, glad handing boosters, and being the face of the program. He is perfect for the LHN.

If Texas goes after a guy like Nick Saban, Nick will have to understand he'll have to deal with ESPN in his face 24/7. For a guy that just bolted out of his mid-week press conference, this could be a deal breaker. Same can be said for Art Briles, who is not so much of an ass kisser or one that likes to deal with the media.

Time will tell, but the LHN sucks for Texas only because Texas sucks currently. If this was 2005, it would be a different story.

Emerson1
09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
As for t-shirt fans. I don't own a single UT t-shirt, but I do have a wallet with the logo on it :2thumbsup

D'Highlander
09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
As for t-shirt fans. I don't own a single UT t-shirt, but I do have a wallet with the logo on it :2thumbsup

I dont have a t-shirt either but I do have a Longhorn tramp stamp. :2thumbsup

jason
09-16-2013, 12:43 PM
you're welcome

Weebe
09-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing that Texas was extremely happy to have their game on the LHN on Saturday.

1st and goal
09-16-2013, 01:13 PM
i'm guessing that texas was extremely happy to have their game on the lhn on saturday.

lmao!

hsbtex
09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm guessing that Texas was extremely happy to have their game on the LHN on Saturday.

Laughing hysterically!!!

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
You're kidding right? Is that LG water rusting your brain? Or do you need to be drug tested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_BCS_National_Championship_Game

I'm not saying A&M would be fortunate enough to end up in this position, I'm just countering your claim that "THEY" (whoever THEY is) would pit two SEC teams in the BCS title game. Seriously, didn't yo momma teach you to think before you speak?????

I was referring to a couple years ago when they took two 1 loss teams and bypassed OSU, I am saying the SEC champ and another conference will be matched in the title game. I seriously doubt a team that does not win their Conference will play in the NC game, not untill it is a playoff.

Buff42
09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I was referring to a couple years ago when they took two 1 loss teams and bypassed OSU, I am saying the SEC champ and another conference will be matched in the title game. I seriously doubt a team that does not win their Conference will play in the NC game, not untill it is a playoff.

Trying to have a coherent conversation with you is like trying to get my dog to fetch after he's snuck half of a mixed drink from me............that damn dog

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
trying to have a coherent conversation with you is like trying to get my dog to fetch after he's snuck half of a mixed drink from me............that damn dog

That funny, how them Buffs looking this year.

1st and goal
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
That funny, how them Buffs looking this year.

Bout as good as those longharns.

slippery ain't he.

hookandladder
09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Bout as good as those longharns.

slippery ain't he.

You talking about them Buffs, need more info.

NastySlot
09-16-2013, 09:55 PM

Velcro?