PDA

View Full Version : El Campo-Bay City rivalry from cousins pont of vie

Scoop27
09-12-2013, 04:03 AM
http://www.advosports.com/news/2013/sep/11/mf_onsports_091213_219535/

BJ Flagg, 18, of El Campo, practices at Ricebird Stadium in El Campo. BJ, who starts at running back for El Campo High School will be playing his cousin's alma mater, Bay City High School, on Friday.
Terrance Flagg was standing in the end zone at Ricebird Stadium when he was approached by El Campo coach Bob Gillis.

"How would you like to suit up for us Friday night?" Gillis jokingly asked.

Flagg answered with a hearty laugh, knowing there is no way he will be putting on a high school uniform and if he did, it would be the blue and gold of Bay City rather than the red and white of El Campo.

Gillis had good reason to inquire considering the last time Flagg was at Ricebird Stadium he was playing middle linebacker and helping to lead the Blackcats to a 21-17 win over El Campo.

"I coached against him twice," Gillis said. "In 2003, they beat us in overtime in Bay City. Then in 2004, we were up and fumbled the ball and they came back and beat us in the last seven seconds. Those were great games even though we lost. Terrance was a really, really good, intense football player."

Flagg made the drive from Bay City to Ricebird Stadium not to gloat, but to visit with his cousin, B.J. Flagg.

The senior starts at running back and defensive end for El Campo.

Bay City and El Campo will play Friday night at Ricebird Stadium for the 110th time, and 94th consecutive year in the state's oldest continuous rivalry.

A rivalry punctuated by the proximity of the Matagorda and Wharton county schools and the familiarity of their fans.

"We've had kids who have moved in from Bay City, and we've had kids who have moved back to Bay City," said Gillis, who will coach against Bay City for the 16th time. "I think everybody knows everybody and I think a lot of the townspeople know each other, so it's a good rivalry and I think it's a very respectful rivalry. Both teams want to beat each other - I can guarantee you that."

Bay City defeated El Campo during the four years Terrance Flagg played at Bay City, and three of the games were at Ricebird Stadium.

"It was very intense," Terrance Flagg said. "The crowd was filled up. Every seat in the stands was filled. They had people on the sidelines. It was a good rivalry for years. It was always exciting to come watch Bay City-El Campo play."

B.J. Flagg was in the stands at Ricebird Stadium when his cousin was a senior and defeated El Campo.

"I've lived in El Campo all my life so I was rooting for El Campo," B.J. Flagg said. "I remember watching him play. I was thinking that's a big guy. I hope I get as big when I get his age."

Terrance Flagg played at 6-foot-2, 280 pounds as a senior before going on to Blinn College where he played on the defensive line.

B.J. Flagg is about equal in height, but weighs around 225 pounds and plays defensive end and running back for the Ricebirds.

"B.J.'s a really good player for us," Gillis said. "He's got a lot of Terrance's characteristics. He's a hard-nosed player and he works very hard."

B.J. Flagg rushed for three touchdowns in El Campo's 56-7 win over Bay City last season.

El Campo has won seven straight games over Bay City, which doesn't sit well with Terrance Flagg.

He played in two state championship games at Bay City, and won a junior college national championship at Blinn in 2006.

"Bay City could get back there in a heartbeat," Terrance Flagg said. "Right now, these kids are small. They're trying to play like they're big boys. They need to put them in the weight room and put about 5 to 10 pounds of muscle on them. You've got to work them out.

"Coach (Chad) Morris (at Bay City) was the best coach I ever had in my life," he added. "He worked me to the bone. By the time it was game time, it was like running water it was so easy."

Terrance Flagg, 26, may have picked up a few pounds, but he proved he can still play by starting at linebacker for the semi-pro Victoria Texans, who won the championship of the Crossroads Amateur Football League last season.

"I just love the game," Terrance Flagg said. "To be honest, semi-pro football is pretty easy. Most of the time you get a few players who played college ball and a couple of people who went to the league and got dropped down. A majority of them are like 'I should have played so I'm going to try now.'"

Terrance Flagg would like to see his cousin play on the college level, and offered some advice before returning home.

"I didn't prepare myself like I was supposed to," Terrance Flagg said. "It was fast. Going to the next level, you definitely see the different speed of the game. All I can say for B.J. to do is to prepare."

baseballcoach13
09-12-2013, 09:49 AM
EC get the W- 149 to 6. And that is if Mini Ditka suits up for the Blackcats.