PDA

View Full Version : Columbia (2-0) @ Wharton (2-0)

Roughneck93
09-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Who ya got?

Necks have some work to do on defense.

Offensively, Columbia has been pretty damn good.

This could up being a high scoring affair.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Gonna be a shoot out

Roughneck93
09-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Gonna be a shoot out

Yup.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm a homer so I picked WC, but this is going to be an extremely tough game. Wharton has looked damn good so far and the necks D has struggled. Looking for a big improvement this week

Necked
09-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Our lineman took a beating, at least 3 were helped off the field, plus Bell looked like he took a shot to the jewels on his last carry...that wasn't fun I'll bet..
Defense did look better, at least they didn't blow as many assignments as last week, but need to tackle better, too many yards after initial contact. As rickety as they have played, they have won the games they were supposed to win, that is a good sign...
Wharton is gonna be a tough one though. They always give us a battle, even when we had strong teams...

Roughneck93
09-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Our lineman took a beating, at least 3 were helped off the field, plus Bell looked like he took a shot to the jewels on his last carry...that wasn't fun I'll bet..
Defense did look better, at least they didn't blow as many assignments as last week, but need to tackle better, too many yards after initial contact. As rickety as they have played, they have won the games they were supposed to win, that is a good sign...
Wharton is gonna be a tough one though. They always give us a battle, even when we had strong teams...

Missed tackles...:foul:

SHSBulldog00
09-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm going with the Necks 42-35

Roughneck93
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/12962/bump~0.gif

maestro
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Run the G

Run the G

speedbump
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Wharton by 10

maestro
09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Weird things always seem to occur when these two clubs get together.

Trick plays galore.

A historically heated rivalry that now is still intense, but less heated than in the past.

Now mutual respect for each other. Glad that can keep scheduling this game.

Anyone old enough on this board to recall the " fastest qb throw in the history of football " that occurred in this rivalry?

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Necks play up to the competition this week and make a statement. 42-28 necks against a solid opponent. How's that for homer?

Necked
09-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Anyone old enough on this board to recall the " fastest qb throw in the history of football " that occurred in this rivalry?

Don't recall that but I am old enough to fear any Wharton roster that has Anthony Ray on it...

Scoop27
09-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I remember covering a Wharton-Columbia game back in the late 1980s in late October and temps were in the low 40s. Froze my butt off in the press box at Griggs Field

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I remember covering a Wharton-Columbia game back in the late 1980s in late October and temps were in the low 40s. Froze my butt off in the press box at Griggs Field

40s isn't even that cold....

carter08
09-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I used to think 40 was cold & then I moved to Ohio.

Scoop27
09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1783&B=1829&REC=31-27-3&S=

SintonFan_inAustin
09-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Columbia by a td

maestro
09-11-2013, 10:02 AM
http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1783&B=1829&REC=31-27-3&S=

Thanks to scoop we can see that certain communities SHOULD play each other every year. Just makes us old timers happy.

Another huge task for the Tiger rush defense. And....wondering if wharton has found a suitable running game of their own.

And don't quote me last week's stats....they should be erased.

Plus, a rivalry like this JUST deserved to stay on the Downlow first page.

Maybe Paycheck will bless us with a few posts this week. If the infield is watered and the grass cut.

Roughneck93
09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Here's a preview from the Wharton Journal Spectator...

Columbia at Wharton

The 1999 Wharton Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 record before beginning district play, and Finn would love to see his 2013 edition get off to the same start.
It’s not so much the perfect record than it is having a good showing in the non-district games.

“These games are important for getting ready for district,” Finn said. “As long as we can stay undefeated, that’s a great thing and a challenge to work for.”

That’s probably something that’s being said in West Columbia, too, as the Columbia Roughnecks also enter the game with a 2-0 record. They beat Brazosport on the road and Needville at home.

“They’ve had two really good wins,” Finn said. “They look a lot like us.”

Finn said Columbia has a lot of younger players at the skill positions, and they seem to be getting better by the week, he added.

They’ll run the ball first, but then they’ll throw some play action passes.

“The tailback is a workhorse,” Finn said. “He had 35 carries in one game.”

The defense is also similar to the Tigers in that they lost a lot of starters from last year, and they are playing a lot of different people.

Last week, the Tigers breezed past Houston Scarborough, 71-0.

Because Scarborough didn’t have enough players to field freshman or junior varsity teams, Finn rewarded some of his younger players by suiting them up for the varsity game last week, giving them varsity experience.

“We got a lot of kids in the game,” Finn said. “Some kids got some varsity experience. We hope that will pay dividends down the line.”

http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports/article_adfdd060-1b19-11e3-a47f-001a4bcf887a.html

Saggy Aggie
09-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Here's a preview from the Wharton Journal Spectator...

Columbia at Wharton

The 1999 Wharton Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 record before beginning district play, and Finn would love to see his 2013 edition get off to the same start.
It’s not so much the perfect record than it is having a good showing in the non-district games.

“These games are important for getting ready for district,” Finn said. “As long as we can stay undefeated, that’s a great thing and a challenge to work for.”

That’s probably something that’s being said in West Columbia, too, as the Columbia Roughnecks also enter the game with a 2-0 record. They beat Brazosport on the road and Needville at home.

“They’ve had two really good wins,” Finn said. “They look a lot like us.”

Finn said Columbia has a lot of younger players at the skill positions, and they seem to be getting better by the week, he added.

They’ll run the ball first, but then they’ll throw some play action passes.

“The tailback is a workhorse,” Finn said. “He had 35 carries in one game.”

The defense is also similar to the Tigers in that they lost a lot of starters from last year, and they are playing a lot of different people.

Last week, the Tigers breezed past Houston Scarborough, 71-0.

Because Scarborough didn’t have enough players to field freshman or junior varsity teams, Finn rewarded some of his younger players by suiting them up for the varsity game last week, giving them varsity experience.

“We got a lot of kids in the game,” Finn said. “Some kids got some varsity experience. We hope that will pay dividends down the line.”

http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports/article_adfdd060-1b19-11e3-a47f-001a4bcf887a.html

Looks like I'll be making it to this game as well.

Hater
09-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Heard it through the grapevine that the Harris Poll has Warton winning by 11... Thoughts?

baseballcoach13
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Heard it through the grapevine that the Harris Poll has Warton winning by 11... Thoughts?

I saw Wharton scrimmage...I thought there were better than they have been in a few years. Some serious wheels on the defensive side.

Roughneck93
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Read that five starters may be out too? Yikes...

Should be a good game. I don't see either team winning by more than 7.