PDA

View Full Version : Carthage Bull Dawgs

cowboyandchrist
09-06-2013, 09:54 PM
After one and half games, I have to say my Dawgs are ranked way to high at this time of the season. I was so blinded by the offence we had coming back I forgot about the D side of the ball. We are smaller than we have been in years on this side of the ball and Jacksonville is not near as good as I thought they were and Lindale is just average. They both run the ball pretty easy on the Dawgs. I am afraid the larger schools with big strong O lines in the playoffs will be a big problem for the Dawgs. Don't get me wrong the Dawgs will score on anyone and score a lot, but I do not like what I am seeing from the Dawg D. Tonight we have been on Lindale 1 yard line twice and we could not run it in and that does not make since when you have (left side 6 ft 2 in 300 lb , 6ft 4 in 315 lb, 6ft 1 in 285 lb, and 6ft 4 in 245 TE. Coach S is a master at putting the right players in the right place, but he has always had big strong and quick D linemen to plug up the running lanes. This year they are very quick, but not very big. I believe the Dawgs will win the district championship, but I am not as confident as I have been in the past when it comes to the playoffs. We are going to have to turn every game we play into a track meet. I hope this is just an early season learning experience to find out who can play where. It is in the third quarter and Carthage leads 38 to Lindale 17.

cowboyandchrist
09-06-2013, 10:15 PM
I forgot to brag on the secondary of the Dawgs, they had three int in the first half, but all were call back because a D linemen was off sides. They dropped 4 more int that hit them in the hands. The secondary can shut down a passing team, they are all returning starters that cover very well and can fly to the football. Carthage 45 Lindale 17 with 7:43 left in the 4th quarters, Coach S has called off the Dawgs, second teamers are in the game now.

Dawgs
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
This coming from the guy who has been ranting all offseason about Carthage being untouchable. Myself, and others said we would wait and see. As far as being the #1 team in the state I don't know...I am not sure any team deserves #1 ranking this early in the season. I think we have just as much or more potential than any other teams in the state to be #1 at the end of the season. All the things I see wrong with the Bulldogs can be fixed thru coaching, and we have one of the top coaches in all of 3a. IMO, we need to work on the defensive front 7, special teams, and goal line offense. The one thing that plagued us last year seems to be fixed. We have only turned the ball over 1 time in 2 games. These kids are still growing up on defense, so lets give them 7 or 8 games, and then come back and asses the progress. I think this team could be special. I am very excited to see this offense late in the season, cause once they work out all the kinks there won't be a team in 3a that will be able to stop them. We have 2 tough games with Whitehouse and Chapel Hill coming up before we start district play. Looks like we will have a good measuring on where we are as a team from these 2 games

Looks like East Texas is back again this season...Gilmer, CH, Kilgore, Carthage all look legit this year. I think of all the ETX teams that Gilmer is the most polished early in the season. Can't wait for the weather to cool off, and see how everything plays out later in the season..

Carthage fans have gotten so spoiled over the last 7 seasons. Went from making the playoffs with early exits as good seasons...Flash forward to now, we have our way with 2 4A teams the 1st 2 games of the season, and some blowhard is ready to jump off the ledge.

buckeyebob
09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
We do agree, which does not happen often...Div 1...I see The Prize will be between the Bulldogs, Kilgore & Carthage...as a Homer, gotta wish the Mojo to my Bulldogs

Gilmer has looked very good...need some polishing out...lot of mistakes Friday night...2 fumbles on the 1 for TD's...that would make Bux 80...smooth out a couple of D mistakes...that would make Prestonwood 19...penalties were terrible - how many points is 130 yds. worth?

Dawgs
09-08-2013, 10:44 AM
We do agree, which does not happen often...Div 1...I see The Prize will be between the Bulldogs, Kilgore & Carthage...as a Homer, gotta wish the Mojo to my Bulldogs

Gilmer has looked very good...need some polishing out...lot of mistakes Friday night...2 fumbles on the 1 for TD's...that would make Bux 80...smooth out a couple of D mistakes...that would make Prestonwood 19...penalties were terrible - how many points is 130 yds. worth?

I have been really impressed with Gilmer early in this season. Looks like you guys have a big play offense, which I wasn't sure Gilmer had this year. Haven't seen any film, but the Barr has put up some gaudy stats. I think offensively we are in the same boat...Against Lindale we came away with no points inside our 15 yard line 4 times, with 2 times being inside the 5 yard line. Playing against top tier competition we will not be able to leave +/- 21 points on the field. Since Carthage and Gilmer are the face of ETX football, I'll try to make a comparison even though I haven't seen the Bucks in person. It looks like offensively both teams are putting up big numbers on big plays. Both teams running a balanced attack. Both teams with D1 athletes on the offensive side of the ball. I think where Gilmer edges Carthage early in the season is on the defensive side of the ball. Carthage is very young on defense, but we have some good looking athletes who I think in time will grow up, and prove themselves. Right now I would rank ETX 3A: Gilmer, Carthage, Kilgore, CH. Don't know much about Kilgore, except they returned a lot of starters, have a play maker at QB, and based off common opponents they would beat Longview ;-).

oldtownag
09-08-2013, 11:08 AM
ATTN 3ADL - cowboyandchrist is a tool!

Nuf said!

buckeyebob
09-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I have been really impressed with Gilmer early in this season. Looks like you guys have a big play offense, which I wasn't sure Gilmer had this year. Haven't seen any film, but the Barr has put up some gaudy stats. I think offensively we are in the same boat...Against Lindale we came away with no points inside our 15 yard line 4 times, with 2 times being inside the 5 yard line. Playing against top tier competition we will not be able to leave +/- 21 points on the field. Since Carthage and Gilmer are the face of ETX football, I'll try to make a comparison even though I haven't seen the Bucks in person. It looks like offensively both teams are putting up big numbers on big plays. Both teams running a balanced attack. Both teams with D1 athletes on the offensive side of the ball. I think where Gilmer edges Carthage early in the season is on the defensive side of the ball. Carthage is very young on defense, but we have some good looking athletes who I think in time will grow up, and prove themselves. Right now I would rank ETX 3A: Gilmer, Carthage, Kilgore, CH. Don't know much about Kilgore, except they returned a lot of starters, have a play maker at QB, and based off common opponents they would beat Longview ;-).

Buckeyes - 383 yds passing for 6 TD's to 4 receivers, 275 yds on the ground for 3 TD's (73 snaps averaging 9+ yards per) , plus a whopping 113 yds of penalties, & 4 turnovers...that will be addressed tomorrow...Black Flag defense showed some yougster mistakes but oh how they punished a really good offense...they stayed in Prestenwoods backfield more than their QB...that being said, they have played lights out ball for 2 games in a row.
Carthage - I am seeing the same basic Carthage team...they take care of buisiness and improve every game...sometimes taking longer than some would like to see...defense may seem to be young and weak but they will come around...Suratt knows what he is doing & by the timedistrict play starts, the Bulldogs are on a role...see above for the final outcome

waterboy
09-09-2013, 08:31 AM
If you ever want to watch some of the highlights of Buckeye games, all you have to do is go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0K6MVjcfM

These videos are done by Aesculus Gilmus. I hope he doesn't mind.

waterboy
09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
By the way, Plano Prestonwood is a very good team. Our defense kept them frustrated all night, while making several mistakes, and our offense continued to put pressure on them by scoring at will. The Buckeyes will definitely have to clean up the turnovers, of which they had five in this game. They also had well over 100 yards in penalties, something that I haven't seen from a Buckeye team in years. If the Buckeyes get all of that cleaned up the sky is the limit as to how good this team can be. The speed of this team is amazing! Think Stephenville last year on offense, and the defense of Navasota last year, and you have the Buckeyes this year... There's definitely similarities to both of those teams.:D

cowboyandchrist
09-09-2013, 09:07 PM
ATTN 3ADL - cowboyandchrist is a tool!

Nuf said!

Just so you will know, I played for the Dawgs in 72,73, and 74 and have missed maybe 5 games in 50 years, I still believe the Dawgs can win the state championship, but it will be by out scoring the opponent in shoot outs. We do not have as big and strong of a D LINE that we have had in the past, They are very quick and fast. I simply made a statement that Big O lines may give the Dawgs a very hard time stopping the run. This week will tell if I am wrong or not. Chapel Hill rushed for over 500 yards against Lindale. I am and will always be a big time fan, but I will not blow smoke up some ones tail pipe just because I am a Dawg fan. Coach S will fix any problem the Dawgs have by the time district starts. The offense will score 40 to 50 on every team they face, I only worry about a team with a very good O line slowing the game down and keeping the ball away from the high scoring Dawgs. No matter what you think. Call me a fool if it makes you feel better little pup.