PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Whose responsibility is it to get a scholarship for a HS student-athlete, whether it's athletic, academic or a combination?

Saggy Aggie
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Whose responsibility is it to get a scholarship for a HS student-athlete, whether it's athletic, academic or a combination?

Academic is the student's responsibility.

LHdog
09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
The coach is the focal point for athletic scholarships. There are UIL rules that govern when and how often a college coach can contact a prospect and/or parents directly. The HS coach is the puppet master. I hear a group of Dripping parents are filing suit against DS coach for not responding to college recruiter contacts regarding DS players.

panfan
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
The coach is the focal point for athletic scholarships. There are UIL rules that govern when and how often a college coach can contact a prospect and/or parents directly. The HS coach is the puppet master. I hear a group of Dripping parents are filing suit against DS coach for not responding to college recruiter contacts regarding DS players.

Parents can also request informal visits with college coaches that don't count against the college. For sports, I say it is coaches, parents, students. Academics, its up to the student and parents, counselors to notify or at least make it know about information that is coming in. In the end, I have two in the next year that will be looking to go to college, and we won't be relying on someone else to do it for us, but we will take all the help we can get.

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
The HS coach is the puppet master. I hear a group of Dripping parents are filing suit against DS coach for not responding to college recruiter contacts regarding DS players.

That's why I thought to pose the question. I wish I knew more facts about it. One thing that I wondered was what, exactly, the kids & parents did to get the kid(s) scholarship(s). I know that coaches should, and most will, help the kids any way they can. A few years ago, there was a whiner parent here, griping that Coach Vance was bias against her kid because he didn't "get" her kid a football scholarship. :doh:

panfan
09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
That's why I thought to pose the question. I wish I knew more facts about it. One thing that I wondered was what, exactly, the kids & parents did to get the kid(s) scholarship(s). I know that coaches should, and most will, help the kids any way they can. A few years ago, there was a whiner parent here, griping that Coach Vance was bias against her kid because he didn't "get" her kid a football scholarship. :doh:

Given what I have learned from my sister who has two boys playing college ball, you want the coach to be informative, but its up to parent and player to do the work. No Whining!

cookiemonster
09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
It will be hard for LH kids to receive scholarships on offense because you can't judge their abilities. If they are RB's can they protect? Can they catch out of the back field? If you are an OL can you pass pro? If you are a WR can you run good routes? Can you get off the ball? Can you catch the ball consistantly? If I were a recruiter I wouldn't go to LH for offensive personel!
Too many questions you can give your boss a good answer on in my opinion!

FB-fanatic
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Todays AD's have much less contact with the college recruiter than in the past decades. With Hudl/zip sticks/email, Coaches get fewer calls from the colleges. But with all these avenues available to the average high school athlete these days, more and more, he is able to self promote.

Manso/V8
09-05-2013, 11:01 PM
It will be hard for LH kids to receive scholarships on offense because you can't judge their abilities. If they are RB's can they protect? Can they catch out of the back field? If you are an OL can you pass pro? If you are a WR can you run good routes? Can you get off the ball? Can you catch the ball consistantly? If I were a recruiter I wouldn't go to LH for offensive personel!
Too many questions you can give your boss a good answer on in my opinion!

You are so wrong.

Manso/V8
09-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Todays AD's have much less contact with the college recruiter than in the past decades. With Hudl/zip sticks/email, Coaches get fewer calls from the colleges. But with all these avenues available to the average high school athlete these days, more and more, he is able to self promote.

A lot of recruiting still goes through the coaches. The coaches' contacts with recruiters/schools, familiarity with the way recruiting works, and ability to promote/pass along accurate information has an impact on which kids get looks. Sure you can self-promote, but the coach has an impact for sure.

panfan
09-06-2013, 11:55 AM

I'll convey some words of wisdom from a colleague I work with who has 3, yes count em, 3 kids at Harvard (and yes one of the parents is literally a rocket scientist). He said, if you don't pursue the collegiate opportunities for your kid, no one else is going to do it for you. It is up to you to research and find out about those opportunities - they are out there. Each of these kids went with some level of academic scholarship - but it wasn't without a heavy time investment by the parents to get them involved with extra curricular activities in addition to what they were doing in school.

I think the same applies for sports - if you the parent are not actively promoting your kid via video, camps, letters, and visits to colleges, then its hard to point the finger of blame anywhere but the mirror.

Matthew328
09-06-2013, 01:45 PM
You are so wrong.

Actually he's not...a lot of college coaches esp FBS coaches have major questions about any player who plays in what they call a gimmick offense (Slot T included)....unless the kid has crazy measurables they'll label a lot of those players "system kids" much like Texas Tech QB's are labeled as "system QBs"

Matthew328
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
As for whose responsibility it is for an athletic scholarship its a joint effort between the HS coaches and the family...but in the end with the advent of technology etc..the big time kids never get missed...where the HS coach can really help is the kids who need homes at the D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO level

Rabid Cougar
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
As for whose responsibility it is for an athletic scholarship its a joint effort between the HS coaches and the family...but in the end with the advent of technology etc..the big time kids never get missed...where the HS coach can really help is the kids who need homes at the D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO level

100% agree.

With the advent of Hudl, 90% of the work is done. It is just the matter of making contact with the right person at the school you are interested in.

Everyone wants to play at the highest level but there are a lot more lower level schools than the D1 route. Both the parents and the athletes need to be realistic in their expectations. The high school coach can be a tremendous help in this regards.

Krumdad
09-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Having just gone through this process with my son, I would not wait for the coaches. We did have some recruiters visit our school, but I think that has a lot to do with what kind of season you had. I would get access to your sons HUDL page and make sure he has about a 2-3 minute highlight film. Find about 12 to 15 schools that he is interested in and go to their athletics website. Most of them have a recruit form that you can fill out to make initial contact. You can put a link to his HUDL on the form. Most coaches will ask if you have a HUDL page. You can also get a free berecruted.com page and send invites to schools of interest. My son and I did both of these and got replies from about half the schools he was interested in. Don't count out the smaller D3, D2 and NAIA schools. If a D1 is interested, they probably already know your sons name. The only bad part about D3 is they do not offer athletic scholarships.

hookandladder
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Contact Randy Rogers and he will give you a honest evaluation of your son as far as football, it is not free but very affordable . I think it was about $250 or less , we'll worth the money . As far as other sports , it is basically up to the parents and bottom line is your kid college material. First thing is to find out what level of college does your kid fit in , if any level at all. There are schools out there for all levels however It may not be your college of choice. The recruiting process is very interesting to say the least.

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Contact Randy Rogers and he will give you a honest evaluation of your son as far as football, it is not free but very affordable . I think it was about $250 or less , we'll worth the money . As far as other sports , it is basically up to the parents and bottom line is your kid college material. First thing is to find out what level of college does your kid fit in , if any level at all. There are schools out there for all levels however It may not be your college of choice. The recruiting process is very interesting to say the least.His prices must've gone up. It cost us $95 for the evaluation in '08...but you did say "or less". ;) I don't know about other schools & how coaches help athletes with the process. I do know that coaches contact Coach Vance to see what players, if any, he has that are interested in playing football in college. And if the kids let him know up front that they're interested, he'll help however he can, including giving their names to the recruiters. I really want to ask the DS parents what THEY did to help their kid get a scholarship.

hookandladder
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
You have to remember a High School Coach has to be honest with College Coaches as to weather a certain kid can play at the next level, a high school coach knows who can and cannot play at the next level. If he recommends kids that are not college material , it only makes him look bad and then college coaches will turn off to him.

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
You have to remember a High School Coach has to be honest with College Coaches as to weather a certain kid can play at the next level, a high school coach knows who can and cannot play at the next level. If he recommends kids that are not college material , it only makes him look bad and then college coaches will turn off to him.
Wait, what?!?!? You mean a kid should have the ability to play at the next level? :eek: :doh: