PDA

View Full Version : El Campo-Bryan Rudder Preview Story

Scoop27
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
EL CAMPO - Kory Supak completed only one pass in El Campo's season opener, but it was a big one.

Supak hooked up with Clayton Harp for a 56-yard touchdown in the third quarter of the Ricebirds' 17-10 win over Waller.

Supak was making his first start at quarterback after backing up Bryce Brandl and playing in the secondary last season.

"I knew to get on the field last year I needed to focus more on defense," Supak said. "I had to stay prepared in case something happened to Bryce. This year is the complete opposite. We've got a defense, but I'm the quarterback now so that's where my focus stays."

Supak wasn't the only El Campo player in an unfamiliar role or position. The Ricebirds had 10 new starters on offense and defense.

"We can't assume they know," said El Campo coach Bob Gillis. "Even though they've been in the program a lot of these guys haven't started or played varsity. They're picking it up. We're looking forward to district to see what they can do."

The Ricebirds showed signs of promise, but also had their lapses against Waller.

B.J. Flagg rushed for 100 yards and one touchdown. But El Campo drove inside the Waller 25-yard-line four times only to be pushed back in a large part because of penalties, including six holding infractions.

"We're real inconsistent right now," Gillis said. "You see flashes of pretty good. We take steps forward and a couple of steps back."

The biggest step forward for the Ricebirds was the play of their defense in the third and fourth quarters.

El Campo did not allow a first down, and held Waller to 13 total yards.

"The defense has steadily gotten better," Gillis said. "Against Waller in the second half, they kind of pinned their ears back and started playing like we felt like they could play. We just need to continue to get better on defense."

El Campo's season-opening struggles have done nothing to diminish the respect the program has around the state.

The Ricebirds were ranked No. 14 in this week's Class 3A state poll.

"I think it's a compliment to the program and a compliment to last year," Gillis said of last season's team that advanced to the Division I state final. "We had a good team last year. We talked about it all along and people want to measure their program when they play El Campo."

Supak knows the comparisons to last year's team are inevitable. But the senior wants his teammates to keep their focus on the present.

"Having returning starters helps a lot," he said. "You have people who are seasoned and know what they're duties are exactly. Now that we don't have hardly any at all, people have to step up. It's just a matter of getting everybody up to game speed and knowing exactly what's got to go on."

The Ricebirds will look for improvement in their home opener Friday night against Bryan Rudder.

"I think before it's over with we'll be very competitive," Gillis said. "Because of last year, our estimation of good was going to Dallas. Of course, we didn't know that was going to happen last year."

NOTES• The home and visitor press boxes at Ricebird Stadium have been renovated.

bird_fan
09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Go ricebirds!!!!!!!