PDA

View Full Version : For you Leland Surovik fans

1971Coogs
09-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Leland Surovik may be in just his second season as Texas City's head coach, but that doesn't mean he lacks perspective on the Stingarees' Battle By the Bay rivalry with La Marque.

In fact, he knows more about the rivalry than any of his players. Surovik used to coach at La Marque.

He was a linebackers coach from 1996-98 under head coach Alan Weddell (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=neighborhood%2Fbayarea%2Fsports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Alan+Weddell%22) and helped La Marque beat Texas City two out of three times.

In his Texas City debut last season he lost.

Surovik can get back to his winning ways Friday when he leads his Stingarees into La Marque's Etheredge Stadium for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.

The teams used to be in the same district, but that changed when La Marque dropped to Class 3A two years ago. Both towns still will pack the stands.

"It might have lost a little of its luster not being a district game, but it's still a very important game between the communities," Surovik said. "It gives them the bragging rights the rest of the year. There is going to be huge attendance."

Surovik coached at La Marque when the rivalry hit its peak.

In 1997 both teams won Class 4A state titles. He said his experience at La Marque was partly the reason he got the job in Texas City.

Under Weddell he learned the kind of program he wanted to build himself one day.

"It's a smash mouth, old-fashioned philosophy of playing defense and offense," Surovik said. "We want to establish the run game and throw when we want to. I'm a big disciplinarian."

He said he hopes that approach will help his players be ready for the intense atmosphere of Friday's game.

It may not count in the district standings anymore, but with so much attention from the communities Surovik said it feels like they're playing a postseason game.

That's especially true because this year both teams advanced in the playoffs last season and are virtual shoe-ins to qualify again.

"Last year we were a younger team and got caught up in it," Surovik said. "I hope they can handle the style of the game of this early in the season. Nobody would like to say, 'Hey let's start the playoffs this week.' "
By Corey Roepken | September 3, 2013 Houston Chronicle

Saggy Aggie
09-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Surv is a great coach. Did a lot of good things for us over at WC.

Roughneck93
09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Surv is a great coach. Did a lot of good things for us over at WC.

:iagree:

Wish the best for Coach Surovik.

scrub c
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
"It's a smash mouth,

I thought the UIL outlawed that word... but it is what it is...

1971Coogs
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Surv is a great coach. Did a lot of good things for us over at WC.He sure has a loaded (with talent) team this year. A number of D1 players. Last I looked Texas City is ranked in top 10 of 4A. That's smashing !