PDA

View Full Version : RGV Recruiting Article Featuring Port Isabel Players

Matthew328
09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1543873

Manso/V8
09-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I hope these kids are able to accomplish their goal of playing at the next level.
Recruiting be a complicated process, everyone has a tendency to focus on D1A schools.
There is a lot of opportunity to play at D1AA and D2 schools as well.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2013, 12:00 AM
The article didn't mention another potential recruit. Miguel Ramirez. 6'4" 240, 4.9 40 yrd. dash. Good vertical jump too, great lateral movement. The guy was all over the place on Saturday. 12 tackles, 3 for loss. 1 QB sack, 1 pass deflected (a la J.J. Watt) and at TE he had 2 catches for 58 yards.

regaleagle
09-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Okay, Tarpon Fan....I'm finally paying attention to you. Sounds like the "Seawall defense" is back full throttle. Looks like PI will go DI in the playoffs. What kind of offense are they running and what kind of skill players do they have for that offense? Sounds to me like the D is the strength of the team. Let's hear what you know so far.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Okay, Tarpon Fan....I'm finally paying attention to you. Sounds like the "Seawall defense" is back full throttle. Looks like PI will go DI in the playoffs. What kind of offense are they running and what kind of skill players do they have for that offense? Sounds to me like the D is the strength of the team. Let's hear what you know so far.

Is this the 1st year 4 teams make the playoffs? Well, the ONLY way PI can go D1 is if the Mighty Red Ants of Progreso make the playoffs. It's a 5 team district, and PI is #3 in terms of enrollment, with La Feria and Hidalgo having higher enrollments. La Feria SHOULD make the playoffs. Hidalgo is a huge question mark, though. They lost their coach, their QB, and several others due to transfer to other schools. They got blown out by Raymondville 50-0 on Friday. So if Hidalgo LOSES to Progreso and fails to make the playoffs this year, then you get to see PI in D1.

The strength of the defense is the line and LB corps. The entire secondary had to be replaced due to graduation from last year's team, but the guys that are there now are all athletic and have some speed. They did pretty good against Brownsville Veterans, breaking up several would-be completions, and they did get one INT.

PI runs a 2-back set. Split backs, or I formation. Lots of Option plays. PI can also line up in a spread set on occasion to keep defenses honest. PI has always been a predominantly running team but they are trying to balance it out a bit more. The QB is Isaiah Martinez. He's short, but very quick and speedy. He's very dangerous when he decides to run the ball, as he's already scored a couple of TD runs in Week 0. There are 3 RBs that are already making noise. Juan Aguilera is the "bowling ball" back. Good speed, but a lot of power. He usually lines up at FB. Jacob Losoya is one of the featured RB. He's got good speed but is also very shifty. He also broke a 65 yard run against Brownsville in Week 0. The last one is J.J. Gonzalez, a very small (I want to say he's 5'5") but incredibly quick back. He's got that "extra gear" when he breaks into the open field and easily pulls away from defenders. He's the fastest back on the team. On the Offensive Line, All State tackle Mark Benavides (6'3" 310) returns along with 3 other returning starters on the line.

PI also has Miguel Ramirez (6'4") lining up at TE which is another weapon in PI's offensive arsenal. He's already made 2 catches for 58 yards in the season opener. The main WR is L.B. Bennett. He's got decent size (5'10") and runs good routes. He's also got good speed and an extra gear.

There's a highlight video of the game I can post. It's mostly PI highlights with some Brownsville highlights spattered in.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2013, 03:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXLQscF4ygk&sns=em