PDA

View Full Version : Needville @ Columbia

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2013, 12:13 PM
This one is going to be ugly. Roughnecks by 40.

I wanna see a big improvement defensively, which I know will happen because Needville isn't that good... But... WC should dominate this game. Anything less would be concerning.

Necked
09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
This one is going to be ugly. Roughnecks by 40.

Possible. They hung 35 on Bport, & I agree with you that Bport looked alot better than they have in the past few seasons. They just got killed by turnovers & stupid type penalties. Lets keep in mind that Columbia is pretty much playing their JV team right now, & it showed on defense with all the over pursuits & blown coverages on defense. I expect these issues will resolve themselves as the season wears on. They kept it super simple on offense too, running the same wing-t set all night. Didn't even try to get Fields, Harris, or Keesee for that matter, involved in the offense, just let the Sophomore D Bell run the show. Man, what a workhorse that kid is going to be. I absolutely loved the lead blocking of Brodney Thomas & the Ends, they were wiping out Linebackers all night long. It was simple, but their execution was pretty good, I only remember 1 penalty & 2 fumbles. Good results for a first game. Plenty of room to grow, too...

maestro
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Did Columbia run some counter with the " G " block ??

Johnny Paycheck's favorite play from old times gone by.

Necked
09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Did Columbia run some counter with the " G " block ??

No, mostly gives to the wing back, & a handful of Fullback/QB up the middles...

SHSBulldog00
09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Possible. They hung 35 on Bport, & I agree with you that Bport looked alot better than they have in the past few seasons. They just got killed by turnovers & stupid type penalties. Lets keep in mind that Columbia is pretty much playing their JV team right now, & it showed on defense with all the over pursuits & blown coverages on defense. I expect these issues will resolve themselves as the season wears on. They kept it super simple on offense too, running the same wing-t set all night. Didn't even try to get Fields, Harris, or Keesee for that matter, involved in the offense, just let the Sophomore D Bell run the show. Man, what a workhorse that kid is going to be. I absolutely loved the lead blocking of Brodney Thomas & the Ends, they were wiping out Linebackers all night long. It was simple, but their execution was pretty good, I only remember 1 penalty & 2 fumbles. Good results for a first game. Plenty of room to grow, too...

I look for the Neck's to open up the offense against Needville. 42 carries for a RB in one game :eek: (Earl Campbell numbers) Bell cannot carry that much of the workload for an entire season. Columbia will play better defensively and name their margin against the Blue Jays.

Necked
09-02-2013, 01:13 PM
42 carries for a RB in one game :eek: (Earl Campbell numbers) Bell cannot carry that much of the workload for an entire season.
He played at linebacker too...workhorse...

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Kid was a beast...

WC has close to 10 guys getting PT on both sides of the ball...

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
And I agree. Brodney Thomas lead blocking was laying defenders out all night long. Some of the best play by a FB I've seen in a long time.

Roughneck93
09-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Pancho will have the D ready.

Necks roll...

Necked
09-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Pancho will have the D ready.

The stress will be good to help him lose weight...

Roughneck93
09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
The stress will be good to help him lose weight...

:spitlol:

Roughneck93
09-06-2013, 09:11 AM
From The Facts...

Necks and Bluejays tangle at Griggs

By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com | Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 2:00 am

WEST COLUMBIA — The battle of Highway 36 continues today when the Needville Bluejays visit Griggs Field to take on Columbia.

In their 15th meeting all-time, the Roughnecks (1-0) will try to make it two in a row to start the season, while Needville (0-1) will be looking for its first win since Week 9 of 2011.

The 7:30 p.m. kickoff will pit the running game of the Roughnecks against a Needville squad that only had 233 total yards in their loss to Edna (27-14).

Columbia had a much tougher opener in Brazosport (35-33) and need a late interception to seal the win. Sophomore Dakarius Bell ran the ball 42 times for the ’Necks, gaining 274 yards while finding the end zone four times. He averaged 6.52 yards a carry.

As a team, the Roughnecks totaled 379 yards on the ground, with Colton Jones adding 48 yards on six carries to average 8 yards a tote.

In their last two meetings, Columbia has not allowed the Bluejays to reach the end zone, winning 28-0 a year ago and 56-0 in 2011. In 2010, the Roughnecks allowed just one touchdown to Needville.

This is the 11th consecutive season and the teams have played, and the Roughnecks lead the all-time series 8-6 all time.

Needville’s weapons are Julian Fontenot, who led the Bluejay offense with 54 yards on the ground on 15 carries and a score. Deveion Star had 39 yards on nine carries, and quarterback Brent Buzak threw for 91 yards and a touchdown on four completions.

Needville’s defense allowed just 147 yards to Edna in the loss.

Since 2011, the Bluejays are 1-20 and have been shut out nine times. Their average margin of defeat is 36 points.

http://thefacts.com/sports/local_sports/article_2b837ed3-eddd-52df-b8e4-8a251f196576.html

baseballcoach13
09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
So Pancho will be in the parking lot eating some BBQ'd goat by halftime?

Scoop27
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
http://www.legacysportsnetwork.com/games/needville-vs-columbia

Saggy Aggie
09-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Looks like I'll be in WC tonight.

Hater
09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Looks like I'll be in WC tonight.

Are you calling the defense?

Saggy Aggie
09-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Are you calling the defense?

Lol no, that'd be pancho. Tho I could probably call the defense against Needville and it wouldn't matter. I think they've won 1 game in the last 2 seasons combined....