PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Football needs to read this:

OldBison75
09-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I saw this on another site:

An Open Letter to Johnny Manziel
Posted on August 31, 2013 by mrsbethbates under Uncategorized

Dear Johnny:

I live in what was once your home town. I have a son who cannot wait to be old enough to proudly sport a Tivy Antlers jersey. I have a son who watched you play high school football and even met you a time or two when you still lived here. This same son quickly broke his mama’s burnt orange heart and converted to an Aggie when you committed to A&M. He has your jersey and still wears it with great pride. And that’s why, even though you’ll likely never see this, I have to write this letter.

My son, and my family, watch every game. Even this burnt orange wearing mom has cheered you on since blue & gold were your Friday Night Lights colors. But besides the games, unfortunately, we’ve also watched the mistakes in the public eye. How can we miss them? Until recently, you paraded them around on social media as if you felt you were untouchable. And that’s led us, and many other parents I’m sure, to have hard conversations with our son. Conversations that talk about character being more important than fame. Conversations about your true worth not being found in your athletic ability, but in your daily actions that define you as a person. Conversations about the responsibility that comes with success and fame. Conversations about how you are a great athlete, but not a great role model.

But here’s the thing. My 6th grade son teaches me a lot about life. And even after today’s game he sees redemption for you. As I sat, as a very frustrated fan and mom, watching you trash talk and wondering if you’ve learned a single lesson lately…as I sat (ok, I don’t sit. I walk around as much as coaches and talk at players like you can hear me) and told you to get the chip off your shoulder and just play…I listened to my son see the good. He still sees (as America does) what a tremendous athlete you are. He still sees that you’re not just good at football, you have a gift. He still sees that Tivy High School Senior that came to his elementary school and worked with some of the kids during PE. And he talked about it today, with a little disappointment in his voice because of the choices you’ve made recently.

Then I remembered something. The day I became a Johnny fan. And football had nothing to do with it. I remembered a high school boy at dinner with his family (at Acapulco’s in Kerrville) and my then elementary age song DYING to go say hi. We wouldn’t let him because we wanted your family to eat in peace. But just days before that you had been at his school. He met you. And was convinced that made you life long friends. As we were leaving, my son made eye contact with you and you said hi. I don’t know if you remembered him or not, but my son was convinced you did. The two of you exchanged a quick conversation and we went on our way. But you left an impression on me. A good one. I saw a kid who, even though you were getting a lot of local press and your star was rising, still took time to talk to my son. You didn’t have to. And that day I became a fan.

I’m still a fan. Because I think you’re still that kid from Tivy High School who can flash that winning smile and make a 4th grader’s day. You’ve beat Alabama, resurrected a storied football program, won a Heisman and a bowl game. But I think at your core, you’re still a good person. Who carries, and has cracked under the weight of, a lot of responsibility and pressure.

But my son is teaching me to see the chance for redemption in everyone. And that’s what he sees in you right now. So, as a mom, I’m choosing to see it, too. I don’t know your parents, but I’m guessing your mom has had some frank talks with you. So as a mom, I’m going to have a frank talk “at” you.

Refocus on your faith. Somewhere in all of this, the faith you’ve talked about has left the forefront. Your faith will ground you, strengthen you, and give you the confidence to walk away from the trash talk that will be there. It will be there. IGNORE it!

Stay away from social media. I think someone else has already gotten that point across though, because you haven’t broadcasted your life in a while. And that’s a good thing. Yes, you have fans that want to “see” your life. But honestly, it’s no one’s business. Allow yourself a private life. You don’t owe anyone pictures. And as you’ve seen, those who don’t want you to succeed will use this all against you.

Remember that little eyes are watching you. Kids look up to you. And as a parent, it’s never fun to have to knock a knight off of his horse. I want my son to look up to you as a person who made mistakes, but found redemption. As a person who acknowledged mistakes and righted the ship. As a person who earned respect, not because of athletic ability but because of character in the face of trial. Stop being a lesson in what not to do. And start living your God-given potential. Notice nothing that I’ve said here has anything to do with football? Because IT DOESN’T MATTER! If you don’t live a life of character and fulfill your God-given potential, NONE OF IT matters.

It’s not too late to right the ship. It’s not too late to sit down with your family, your coaches, your teammates be accountable and be the leader you were created to be. There’s a reason you weren’t voted a Team Captain this year. And it has nothing to do with your age. You have a God-given gift. You could be one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game. You have a platform to make a difference, to influence lives, to do good. And I may be in the minority and maybe a little naive, but I believe you want to do it right. But you have to start doing it differently and surround yourself with people who will keep you grounded.

You have a gift. And for now, you still have this family as fans. And we’re looking hard for reasons to stay fans. And we pray for you. Not because we know you, but because we’ll never understand the pressure you feel or the weight of the responsibility you carry. And because we’ve all made our own mistakes. And have found redemption. The same that’s there for you.

Sincerely,

Beth Bates
Wife, mom, fan
TFND (because Gig ‘em just isn’t in my vocabulary. Have I mentioned I bleed burnt orange?)

regaleagle
09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Although I find the content of the letter to be heartwarming and ideallic, tears are not streaming down my face, lol. It's a wonderful letter....passionate, prayerful, and resonating the thoughts and feelings many of us share....but I'm not holding my breath that it will have any impact whatsoever in changing JFF's perspective. IF it did, that would certainly be a game-changing play called from the sidelines.

Buff42
09-02-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/9/1/4684588/open-letter-johnny-manziel-role-model-scrutiny

Weebe
09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/09/johnny_manziels_monster_heel_p.php?page=2

regaleagle
09-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I just love it when Lou Holtz makes Mark May look like a dunce. Lou is obviously biased toward Notre Dame, but he's a proud ex-Irish coach and let's everyone know it. I have no problem with that. Mark May, on the other hand, can sometimes get under my skin.

Weebe
09-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Mark May is still pissed that A&M hired Jackie Sherrill away from Pitt.

Roughneck93
09-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Mark May is still pissed that A&M hired Jackie Sherrill away from Pitt.

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/mark-may-tool-time.jpg

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Mark may. 5 guys at Pitt. Google it

Roughneck93
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Mark may. 5 guys at Pitt. Google it

:D

http://i.imgflip.com/2gckh.jpg

Buff42
09-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Everybody has skeletons. May included.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19790129&id=ygIOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MG0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4467,3679250

Macarthur
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Both of those articles are good.

The self righteous out rage is insane.

Aesculus gilmus
09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I hope she wrote a letter to Miley Cyrus last week, too.

Ms. Bates, people who are 20 years old often do things that seem crazy to people your age, but that's because you're no longer of the younger generation. I'm not either, but I remember when I was.

caleb_mccaig
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Johnny is quickly becoming my favorite player. It's him against the world. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, probably because I'm 23 years old and from a totally different generation, but the way he plays and the way he acts cocky and then backs it up just reminds me of someone who ya'll would've watched play for the U in the late 80's early 90's.

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2013, 09:20 PM
:D

http://i.imgflip.com/2gckh.jpg

Lmfao

Farmersfan
09-03-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't have a problem with what Johnny did on the field that got him ejected from the game. What I have a problem with is the fact that Johnny DID IT after all the attention he has just recently went through. Any normal or well ground individual would have felt they needed to walk on egg shells for a while before creating even more crap for the media to talk about. A brilliant and successful return to the football field is what Johnny needed to produce but instead he provided attitude and selfishness. I don't know J. Football from the man in the moon. But I don't need to know J. Football to determine that I don't like him. And don't say it's because I'm old because I wouldn't have liked him when i was a kid........................ He is the poster boy for selfishness and a attitude of self importance!

Bullaholic
09-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Both of those articles are good.

The self righteous out rage is insane.

Which part did you find to be self-righteous?

jason
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Did he get ejected or benched?

BEAST
09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Did he get ejected or benched?

Got a personal foul for smack talking to opposing players and got benched. I dont understand why the 2 Rice players didnt get flagged as well.

BEAST

jason
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Got a personal foul for smack talking to opposing players and got benched. I dont understand why the 2 Rice players didnt get flagged as well.

BEAST

It looked like the ref had broken it up and players were going back to their sidelines, and then johnny football went back and did some more taunting. That's when he got flagged. I didn't think he had been ejected though.

Saggy Aggie
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
It looked like the ref had broken it up and players were going back to their sidelines, and then johnny football went back and did some more taunting. That's when he got flagged. I didn't think he had been ejected though.

Whenever he went back, he said something about the scoreboard and pointed to it. Then got benched. FF doesn't know what he's talking about as usual

JJWalker
09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Who cares what some lady thinks?

A bunch of emotional drivel.

If A&M keeps winning, everyone will get back on the bandwagon.

Macarthur
09-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Which part did you find to be self-righteous?

Not the articles but the outrage that has followed with all the talking heads.

1st and goal
09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
To be sure, ESPN is milking it for all it's worth. They are squeezing the rock to get every last bit of blood out of it. How much have each of you tuned in to see the latest? How much has ESPN prospered? It is now considered in their interest for this to stay prevalent. Don't think the boardroom guys aren't taking it to the bank for 1 second. We are all guilty of rubbernecking the situation. If you are not, then you live on an island with a ball named Wilson.

Being deadpan honest, I might have done the same thing he did when the smack began. Yah yah, I know, he's supposed to be above it all now, but the taunting will probably never stop. So, if he turns emotionally benign, will his level of play follow?

I just hope the young frosh on D can hold together and improve for the next game.

Cam
09-03-2013, 02:33 PM
here ya'll go::::: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-criticism-shows-inner-flaws-of-fans-clay-travis-opinion-090213

wimbo_pro
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
It's all about class. It's not complicated...he learned it (or should of learned it) in kindegarten. It's really simple. Just be classy JFF, and all will fall into your lap. Continue the path you are displaying lately, and your road will be more than bumpy...it will be a dead end.

Weebe
09-03-2013, 06:12 PM
It's all about class. It's not complicated...he learned it (or should of learned it) in kindegarten. It's really simple. Just be classy JFF, and all will fall into your lap. Continue the path you are displaying lately, and your road will be more than bumpy...it will be a dead end.

So, you are less than classy if you talk trash on the football field?

Did none of you people actually play football?

Weebe
09-03-2013, 06:15 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhLYumn1g4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqPhLYumn1g4

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osBBYbQXQDQ

Roughneck93
09-03-2013, 06:44 PM
So, you are less than classy if you talk trash on the football field?Did none of you people actually play football?

I didn't think it was a big deal. Might have went too far in drawing the penalty, but hell, most everyone talks crap on the football field.

Roughneck93
09-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Sumlin speaks...

“I made two statements to him, neither of which he should have responded to,” Sumlin said. “They weren’t questions. What amazes me is the perception that he ignored me. The worst thing that could have happened was for him to reply, based on what I told him.”

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/09/sumlin-explains-his-one-sided-conversation-with-manziel/?cmpid=hpts

Manso/V8
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
He is a great player and a lot of fun to watch.
I will be cheering for Johnny Doucheball this season.

Weebe
09-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I didn't think it was a big deal. Might have went too far in drawing the penalty, but hell, most everyone talks crap on the football field.

It's certainly a problem when it draws a penalty.

But I'm not sure if I do much differently if someone were talking crap to me down 21 points.

hookandladder
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
It is time for everyone to just sit back and watch the great game of college football, it all boils down to what you expect out of your kid and or team as for as showing emotion on the field. I am a Lou Holtz kind of guy as far as acting like you been there before , most all aggie fans enjoy the way Manziel carries himself on and off the field . So be it , their choice. He is a great college player that is fun to watch, all the extras on and off the field I could do without. This season will be very interesting on how everything plays out, Alabama did not look like an unbeatable team last weekend. So I feel this season a number of teams have a shot at winning it all, Manziel will decide his own outcome this season and yes he will have a big time target on his chest but I think he would have it no other way. Johnny be good or bad , it is all up to him because no one can control him on or off the field.

Weebe
09-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I can agree with that.

LH_Tuff
09-05-2013, 12:16 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18z86xefqy7uogif/original.gif

JJWalker
09-05-2013, 12:25 PM
That is funny.

Hater
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Gotta love the "holier than thou" approach to this whole thing...... Get over yourself, lady. If you don't want your son looking up to Johnny, teach your son to look up to "better" role models, don't ask Johnny to change to make your life easier. Grow up and be a parent.

msu97
09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
yeah, why not look up to his father, his grandfather, do a good job is raising him where he can admire a player but have someone else as his hero or role model...
but Barry Sanders would be good

coachc45
09-05-2013, 01:02 PM
yeah, why not look up to his father, his grandfather, do a good job is raising him where he can admire a player but have someone else as his hero or role model...
but Barry Sanders would be good

I kinda disagree on ole Barry.. He did quit on his team right before training camp leaving them with no options for his replacement and no time to build the system towards a more passing oriented game. But other than that..... he's a pretty good choice.

caleb_mccaig
09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Obviously there's nothing wrong with doing the money sign. Tajh Boyd did it Saturday night and nothing happened so scrutinize him if you scrutinize Manziel also. How many times has someone pointed at the scoreboard to an opponent and no flag been thrown? I'd say 99% of the time nothing is getting called there. It's just the refs seeking him out. He fires me up whenever he's out there just not caring what people think. I think it's must see tv and people scrutinizing him for it are the ones who are making it so.