PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel @ Brownsville Veterans Memorial (5A) Recap

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Port Isabel Routs Chargers in Season Opener

In the blink of an eye, Port Isabel answered any doubts about possible distractions.

On the strength of four touchdowns during the first quarter, Port Isabel ran around and through a Brownsville Veterans Memorial defense that didn’t know what hit it.

The Tarpons easily beat the Chargers 47-17 in the first game for both schools in the regular season.

Senior linebacker Esteven Montelongo of Port Isabel said Friday via social media he was involved in an incident in which he was struck by a vehicle, pinning him between it and another and causing a knee injury. Luckily for him, it was not a serious injury for one of the Tarpons’ defensive leaders. But his teammates didn’t need him anyway.

“I talked to our guys before the game, and they were a little unfocused,” Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “You’re going to have adversity, bad things are going to happen. Our young man is fine, and that’s what we’re thankful for.”

And the Port Isabel offense scored early and often.

Touchdown runs of 40 yards by Juan Aguilera, 8 yards by Jacob Losoya and 33 yards by Isaiah Martinez, and a Martinez pass to Jimmy Puentes for another touchdown gave the Tarpons a big lead in the first quarter and left Chargers’ defenders shaking their heads.

“Anytime you are able to run the football, your offensive line is doing a great job,” Stumbaugh said. “We are fortunate enough to have some good running backs and blessed we are able to interchange them. In high school football, momentum is a huge thing. We were able to get some early and maintain our focus.”

Brownsville Veterans got one back, scoring on a 12-yard run by Alfonso Vela with less than one minute to go in the first half. The Chargers’ excitement was short lived, however.

PI quickly answered in 2 plays. J.J. Gonzalez broke a 50 yard run down the left sideline to the Chargers 20. Then Martinez scored on a 20 yard scamper to give Port Isabel a comfortable 34-7 halftime lead.

The second half was no different. The Tarpons continued to run wild, adding two more touchdowns on the ground.

“We are a young team that will regroup, and we are going to get better,” Brownsville Veterans coach David Cantu said. “We’re going to play better this coming week, we’ll look forward. There is something to be learned and gained from this type of situation, and it's a measuring stick for where we are at.”

Martinez finished 3 for 6 with 66 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 106 yards on six carries with two touchdowns. Losoya had nine carries for 128 yards and two touchdowns, and Jamie Gonzalez had six carries for 123 yards and one touchdown for the Tarpons.

Derrik Rodriguez finished with 182 yards on 27 carries and one touchdown and quarterback Marcus Castillo was 10 of 20 for 64 yards and an interception. He also rushed for 50 yards on 21 carries for the Chargers.

The Tarpons coach was glad to get a win, especially with what the team has dealt with in the past 24 hours.

“Overall I was pleased,” Stumbaugh said. “Right now we’re 1-0, great way to start out for our kids.”

YTBulldogs
09-01-2013, 06:24 PM
I almost nailed this one exactly. Congrats PI.

bulldog82
09-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Headed to SPI on the 12th of sept for big 50 get together with friends. Is PI playing at home? wife is making me miss our game in Llano.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Headed to SPI on the 12th of sept for big 50 get together with friends. Is PI playing at home? wife is making me miss our game in Llano.

Confirmed PI plays @ Raymondville on 9/13 at 7:30pm

bulldog82
09-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Confirmed PI plays @ Raymondville on 9/13 at 7:30pm

Bummer !