PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill @ Hondo

Cam
09-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Liberty Hill lose two in a row?....I doubt it!....Gotta go with my neighbors to the east.....

cookiemonster
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Liberty Hill bounces back with a big win in this one!!

LHexPlayer
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
I think we improve a lot before next week. Although, why in the world do we have to play in Hondo. Goodness! That is a long dang drive.

panfan
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I think we improve a lot before next week. Although, why in the world do we have to play in Hondo. Goodness! That is a long dang drive.
Me and the wife will go early enough to get some local grub, some beverages, then go watch our boy play

YTBulldogs
09-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Where's are favorite Hondo poster at? Owl something. Miss him.

bulldog82
09-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Herman sons steakhouse is the place to eat in Hondo ! We play in Devine so ill be stopping in along the way . And yes , it's a long dang way. Glad we haven't had to make that trip in some time .

NastySlot
09-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Me and the wife will go early enough to get some local grub, some beverages, then go watch our boy play

try this place use to love to make the trips Hondo direction so we could eat here:

http://www.hermannsonssteakhouse.com/

NastySlot
09-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Herman sons steakhouse is the place to eat in Hondo ! We play in Devine so ill be stopping in along the way . And yes , it's a long dang way. Glad we haven't had to make that trip in some time .

sorry posted the same thing you did.

ogg
09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I think the Hill's D is better than what Boerne's D allowed last week with Hondo. I'll take LH by 10.

bjrod9
09-01-2013, 11:57 PM
I think Hondo will have their hands full. Young and in experienced. I will be rooting for them, but I will be realistic.

Some good places to eat are Herman Sons Steak House and right across the highway from Heb, Jb's BBQ. There are many places but those two are the most interesting to me.
And for LOS OWLS, I will let him know you are looking for him,lol.

YTBulldogs
09-02-2013, 12:57 AM
I think Hondo will have their hands full. Young and in experienced. I will be rooting for them, but I will be realistic.

Some good places to eat are Herman Sons Steak House and right across the highway from Heb, Jb's BBQ. There are many places but those two are the most interesting to me.
And for LOS OWLS, I will let him know you are looking for him,lol.
Yes. Los Owls. That's him. Thanks bj. Miss hearing from him.

Los Owls
09-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Yes. Los Owls. That's him. Thanks bj. Miss hearing from him.

Looking for the Los Owls...Well, Los Owls just woke up......Anyway way,OWLS 42-7 over da Panthers....Thank you,going back to sleep...:sleeping:

YTBulldogs
09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Looking for the Los Owls...Well, Los Owls just woke up......Anyway way,OWLS 42-7 over da Panthers....Thank you,going back to sleep...:sleeping:

I think you were already a sleep and dreaming (sleep typing, LOL) with that predicted score LO. Anyways, great to see ya back on here. Best of luck to the Owls this year bud.

regaleagle
09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
So what about the 42 points the Owls scored? Doesn't that count maybe just a little bit? Or was the competition just that horrible. I'm asking for honest opinions, not homer posts.

Los Owls
09-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Just messing with yall...Liberty Hill has a good program and i'm glad the Owls play them..Owls are used to playing tough nondistrict games...Hondo played a good Boerne team that passes about 90% of the time..Boerne will make the playoffs..Owls defense was having trouble the 1st qtr to adjust to Boerne's passing game,as Boerne took a 14-0 lead..Took awhile for the Owls offense to get clicking..Owls have some small fiesty runners that are hard to contain and are running behind a HUGE offense line...Hondo needs to pass better..Big test for Hondos defense on stopping Liberty Hills running game...Owls 42 points came from not being to tackle Hondos fiesty,scrambling running backs...Hondo Owls OFFENSE better be ready to score plenty, if they want to compete with Liberty Hill...Those coming from Liberty Hill to Hondo,Welcome and have a safe trip....Go Owls....

panfan
09-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Liberty Hill will take this one - not because the owls are not good, but because LH players will have their butts handed to them on a platter this week for having played so poorly offensively and on special teams. Nothin like lightin a fire under some butts for motivation. Against Giddings, I think the score should have been higher for both sides - For Buffs - dropped passes that led to missed opportunities. For LH fumbles that led to missed opportunities. Take those factors out of the game, both defenses performed well. I'll give LH a defensive nod though cause we held them several times to field goals. So how does that translate to Hondo? I think our defense will give us an edge while offense gets going. We eliminated the fumbles and I think we put 4-5 tds on the board. I'm going to go with 35-28 score - LH. Good luck to both teams.

greendawg84
09-03-2013, 10:22 AM
The Hill takes it by 14 .

Mojo84
09-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Just messing with yall...Liberty Hill has a good program and i'm glad the Owls play them..Owls are used to playing tough nondistrict games...Hondo played a good Boerne team that passes about 90% of the time..Boerne will make the playoffs..Owls defense was having trouble the 1st qtr to adjust to Boerne's passing game,as Boerne took a 14-0 lead..Took awhile for the Owls offense to get clicking..Owls have some small fiesty runners that are hard to contain and are running behind a HUGE offense line...Hondo needs to pass better..Big test for Hondos defense on stopping Liberty Hills running game...Owls 42 points came from not being to tackle Hondos fiesty,scrambling running backs...Hondo Owls OFFENSE better be ready to score plenty, if they want to compete with Liberty Hill...Those coming from Liberty Hill to Hondo,Welcome and have a safe trip....Go Owls....

The Owls woke up and bowed up after Boerne jumped ahead early. Their running backs do run tough and do not go down easily. Not taking anything away from the Owls, our tackling technique and effort were horrendous and attributed some to the Owls' running game success. That is being addressed this week in practice.

Once the Owls woke up and started hitting us in the face with their big o-line, running backs and good defensive adjustments our kids got a little rattled. Inexperience and youth hurt us on offense. All in all, all the negative from our game with the Owls is correctable.

The Hounds are continuing to work hard to improve just as I know the Owls are as well. However, even not seeing LH this year, I expect they will take this one.

panfan
09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
The Owls woke up and bowed up after Boerne jumped ahead early. Their running backs do run tough and do not go down easily. Not taking anything away from the Owls, our tackling technique and effort were horrendous and attributed some to the Owls' running game success. That is being addressed this week in practice.

Once the Owls woke up and started hitting us in the face with their big o-line, running backs and good defensive adjustments our kids got a little rattled. Inexperience and youth hurt us on offense. All in all, all the negative from our game with the Owls is correctable.

The Hounds are continuing to work hard to improve just as I know the Owls are as well. However, even not seeing LH this year, I expect they will take this one.

I was looking at some numbers last night. LH defense had 9 sacks against Giddings, gave up 1 TD and 3 field goals. LH Offense put up 283 yards, which is about 1/3 lower than our norm. This was due to fumbles - some of our own making and some due to hard hitting Buff players. Looking for offense to turn it around this week and rack up some yardage on sustained drives, and for defense to keep doing what they are doing. Hondo here we come! Well at least tomorrow. Los Owls, is the visitors side facing the setting sun? Just want to know if I need to bring my sun block for the 1st quarter.

bjrod9
09-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Bring your sunblock! Hopefully it will be nice and cloudy. Chances of rain, so you may need an umbrella. It has been nothing but drizzle around this area and cool winds. We have been getting teased with thunder, but no hard rain.

LHdog
09-05-2013, 04:56 PM
If the Owls put 9 in the box, they have a chance. The Panthers can't throw a lick. The Vance offense has regressed.

LHexPlayer
09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
If the Owls put 9 in the box, they have a chance. The Panthers can't throw a lick. The Vance offense has regressed.

I agree about the regressed comment. Our offense has taken a step back over the years. We are not hiding the ball well and it's boring as hell. I used to like it, but I think the time has come to move on. We aren't surprising anyone anymore.

Los Owls
09-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I hate yalls offense,its boring..But,after saying that,it's hard to stop and it has worked for yall plenty of times...Owls have had a hard time stopping that kind of offense..Will see tomorrow night what happens...Still glad of playing Liberty Hill on a non-district schedule and glad we played Sinton also 2011 and 2012...Would be nice to add Wimberley on next years non-district...Go Owls

Los Owls
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I hate yalls offense,its boring..But,after saying that,it's hard to stop and it has worked for yall plenty of times...Owls have had a hard time stopping that kind of offense..Will see tomorrow night what happens...Still glad of playing Liberty Hill on a non-district schedule and glad we played Sinton also 2011 and 2012...Would be nice to add Wimberley on next years non-district...Go Owls

Sinton on 2010 and 2011..

LHdog
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
The Panthers don't have enough muscle to blow folks off the line. They don't have enough speed to get to the corner consistently and defenses are catching up with the vanilla slot-T. It could be a long year for Liberty Hill and I don't see them making the play-offs at this point.

panfan
09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
The Panthers don't have enough muscle to blow folks off the line. They don't have enough speed to get to the corner consistently and defenses are catching up with the vanilla slot-T. It could be a long year for Liberty Hill and I don't see them making the play-offs at this point.

The Slot T by itself has to have the right kind of athletes to make it work. I think it is an effective offense as long as it is used to the players potential. I think it is an offense that requires as you state, a big powerful line that can generate push. I think it also requires a large fullback that can generate push, on his own, after he gets past that first 2-4 yards - think Doug Alleman. When you don't have those things, then maybe the key is not to make the athletes fit the system, but to mold the system a bit to fit what you got. In other words, mix it up a bit to play to your strengths. But hey- I'm just a Dad and armchair coach so what the heck do I know.

What I am noticing more and more however, is that several of the teams we have played last season and even against Giddings this year - there are a couple of guys going both ways. LH used to do it, now its almost completely platooned. if you play D, no Offense for you and visa versa. LH ex player - how did ya'll do it when you were playing? I can see pros and cons to both.

LHexPlayer
09-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I played years ago before Vance. We stunk. We were also a lot smaller school. Basketball was our sport. I see our future as a 4a school soon. And I just don't see success running the slot-t in 4a. I feel it's time to develop a new offense with quarterbacks and receivers. Right now we cannot pass block to save our life. The kids have just been running this slot-t since peewee football. They don't know how to pass the ball effectively.

It has served us good for 12 years but I feel it's time to get a little more modern. I've watched Liberty Hill football for over 30 years now. I grew up wanting to be on that field and wear the purple and gold. I got to do that for a number of years. I've been on some bad teams with no identity and I've been on a good team in 92 that went to the playoffs for the first time in years. I've seen our program at the lowest level imaginable. I've seen Vance come in and take my brothers team from the worst to one of the best in district in 2002. I appreciate everything that Vance has done for our program. He made us winners and gave us stability and an identity. My problem with things now, is that I just don't see a future with this offense. We now have something like 950 kids in the high school. That is almost 4a numbers, but we still don't have any better athletes than we had when we only had 650 kids in the high school. That seems strange to me. Where are the quarterbacks? Where are the big lineman? Where is a kicker that can kick field goals? Do they not play? Do they not want to play in this system? I honestly don't know. It just makes me wonder.

I feel a change would be tough. It might take a couple of years to get our feet back under us, but eventually it will change. I would just rather change soon before we are in a district with the Leander ISD teams. Change then and you will get your butt handed to you every week.

panfan
09-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Good game Hondo. Hope your QB is OK. Heard on the interweb that he was on crutches. Hoping for a speedy recovery for that young man so he can get back on the field.

bjrod9
09-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Good game Hondo. Hope your QB is OK. Heard on the interweb that he was on crutches. Hoping for a speedy recovery for that young man so he can get back on the field.

Good game panthers! Yes the Qb was on crutches, I'm not sure what happened, but hopefully just a cautionary thing. Owls came out strong and then got rattled it looked like. Momentum had switched over and the Panthers remained control. I feel the drive when Hondo was driving down to score and then the interception, that took the life out of them.

Los Owls
09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Surprised that Hondos BIG offense lineman could not Push back LH defense lineman 2 or 3 times when it was 4th and 1..LH is not very big but,did what they do best and gain yards up the middle..Owls coaches have got some work to do with this Huge Owl offense line..No reason you can't get a first down on 4th and 1..Still was good to play LIBERTY HILL ..Our Qb will be back next week according to some of the players i saw this morning..Well our sophmore backup QB got to play and get some experience for about 3 qtrs...

cookiemonster
09-07-2013, 03:38 PM
LHexPlayer, the slot T will be an even bigger factor when you move to 4A. Example: Lampasas 2009 team in 4A made the playoffs running the slot T after going 0-20 in the spread the two previous years. Taylor has also had success in 4A with the slot T (Holt years). Alot of 3A and below DC's play run based offenses and are personeled for run base offenses (also understand how to defend them well) while the 4A and above personel things for defending space. The slot T will allow success in your early years in 4A that other offensive systems might not allow!

LHdog
09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Offenses run in fads. Someone has success in a offensive system, everybody copies it. Remember the split-T, the I-formation, the wishbone, the veer? The spread appears to be the offense of choice right now. But if you run the spread, you better have a QB who can throw it and some receivers who can catch it. Offenses come, run there course and fade away. When Coach Vance arrived in Liberty Hill in 2001, nobody ran the slot-T except San Marcus where Vance learned the offense from HC Bruce Bush. Most defenses were not prepared for it. Now the defenses are catching up. Coach Vance can retire if he wants to and if the Panthers miss the playoffs again this year (and they easily could) Vance just may call it quits. Then Liberty Hill will have to make a decision about the direction of the football program in 4a.

catfish
09-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't really like Liberty Hill,and I never thought I would be defending them,butCoach Vance and his staff are some of the best coaches in Texas at any level.Liberty Hill is competetive every year.His winning percentage during his tenure at the Hill is as good or better than 95% of the other 3a coaches during the same time period.What Great coaches do is win even if they don't have great talent....NO,head coach is ever going to blame failure on the players,but the fact is that some groups of players don't have the same ability as the team that won a state championship or went 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs.Great coaches win with regular kids,and poor coaches don't.....It figures an ex Liberty Hill basketball player would be the one who thinks he knows football..I HOPE Coach Vance leaves,it would make it mush easier for people who play the Hill.

LHexPlayer
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't really like Liberty Hill,and I never thought I would be defending them,butCoach Vance and his staff are some of the best coaches in Texas at any level.Liberty Hill is competetive every year.His winning percentage during his tenure at the Hill is as good or better than 95% of the other 3a coaches during the same time period.What Great coaches do is win even if they don't have great talent....NO,head coach is ever going to blame failure on the players,but the fact is that some groups of players don't have the same ability as the team that won a state championship or went 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs.Great coaches win with regular kids,and poor coaches don't.....It figures an ex Liberty Hill basketball player would be the one who thinks he knows football..I HOPE Coach Vance leaves,it would make it mush easier for people who play the Hill.

Oh, shut up. I was gracious to coach Vance. As a fan I would like a change in offense. Nothing wrong with that.

catfish
09-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Oh,this is fun.Again,I don't care what happens in LH,but this is too good to pass up.What happens in any town is that someone reads something that has been written about a coach or a program,and thinks , "well you know that's true we could use a different offense",after all ,we didn't make the playoffs 1 year in a row and it has been 7or 8 years since we won back to back state championships with this system so maybe we ought to change.Then this person tells someone else,then they tell someone else and before too long the story gets out that we probably need a new offense because the one we have used and been very successful with over the last decade,is out of style....You whiners are spoiled by the success of the program,if you don't go several rounds deep in the playoffs every year then something MUST be wrong......The fact is ,Jerry Vance has forgotten more football than all of you Saturday morning coffee shop yokel coaches combined will ever know....But,you know what I HOPE your whining and sniping does get him fired,I will drive thru LH with a big sign on my truck that says"FIRE JERRY VANCE,HIS OFFENSE IS OLD FASHIONED"if it will help.LOL

LHexPlayer
09-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh,this is fun.Again,I don't care what happens in LH,but this is too good to pass up.What happens in any town is that someone reads something that has been written about a coach or a program,and thinks , "well you know that's true we could use a different offense",after all ,we didn't make the playoffs 1 year in a row and it has been 7or 8 years since we won back to back state championships with this system so maybe we ought to change.Then this person tells someone else,then they tell someone else and before too long the story gets out that we probably need a new offense because the one we have used and been very successful with over the last decade,is out of style....You whiners are spoiled by the success of the program,if you don't go several rounds deep in the playoffs every year then something MUST be wrong......The fact is ,Jerry Vance has forgotten more football than all of you Saturday morning coffee shop yokel coaches combined will ever know....But,you know what I HOPE your whining and sniping does get him fired,I will drive thru LH with a big sign on my truck that says"FIRE JERRY VANCE,HIS OFFENSE IS OLD FASHIONED"if it will help.LOL

I understand that reading comprehension is tough. So maybe you should stop being an ass and go read my post again. I never said fire Jerry Vance. Never. The defense is all Vance. The offense is not necessarily Vance's. He is a defensive coach. The offense was brought by Vance but was also ran by other coaches. Vance, when he got here called the defense himself and Les Goud called the offense. Then he left and it was handed to Jeff Walker then he left and so on. Why can't we try a new offense and keep Vance? I don't see a problem with that. As far as I'm concerned Vance can stay till he wants to retire. And I hope he retires on his terms only. Then we need to name the new stadium for him. He has brought more to my little town than anyone.

I also never said I know more than Vance. So once again, you're the one with an agenda. Nice trolling job but I'm not biting anymore. I do appreciate the discussion though. This place was getting kinda boring.

catfish
09-08-2013, 10:08 AM
This is FUN!.....You don't have to say fire a coach,that is what I have been saying.By questioning a coach's philosophy,you're saying he is not doing something right.As stupid as it seems,someone might read it and actually think you know what you are talking about... "Jerry Vance is a great coach and we should name the stadium after him",but,I think he should change the system that made LH so successful,that makes sense....It doesn't matter whether he is an offensive or defensive coach,being the HEAD COACH,he is responsible for it all.....Tell you what,why don't you ask Coach Vance why he doesn't change the offense.I am sure he is game planning today and would love your input....lol

...Tell you what,why don't you go to the field house today,I am sure he is game planning,I know he would love to hear your ideas.lol

panfan
09-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I played years ago before Vance. We stunk. We were also a lot smaller school. Basketball was our sport. I see our future as a 4a school soon. And I just don't see success running the slot-t in 4a. I feel it's time to develop a new offense with quarterbacks and receivers. Right now we cannot pass block to save our life. The kids have just been running this slot-t since peewee football. They don't know how to pass the ball effectively.

It has served us good for 12 years but I feel it's time to get a little more modern. I've watched Liberty Hill football for over 30 years now. I grew up wanting to be on that field and wear the purple and gold. I got to do that for a number of years. I've been on some bad teams with no identity and I've been on a good team in 92 that went to the playoffs for the first time in years. I've seen our program at the lowest level imaginable. I've seen Vance come in and take my brothers team from the worst to one of the best in district in 2002. I appreciate everything that Vance has done for our program. He made us winners and gave us stability and an identity. My problem with things now, is that I just don't see a future with this offense. We now have something like 950 kids in the high school. That is almost 4a numbers, but we still don't have any better athletes than we had when we only had 650 kids in the high school. That seems strange to me. Where are the quarterbacks? Where are the big lineman? Where is a kicker that can kick field goals? Do they not play? Do they not want to play in this system? I honestly don't know. It just makes me wonder.

I feel a change would be tough. It might take a couple of years to get our feet back under us, but eventually it will change. I would just rather change soon before we are in a district with the Leander ISD teams. Change then and you will get your butt handed to you every week.

I understood what you were saying here eventhough some don't. I don't see anything in here that says time for Vance to go. Asking for change and admitting that the change would be difficult (offensive scheme).

As to your question about where are the athletes, I can tell you that there are a good number of athletes, many of which are playing other sports. Basketball doesn't get along with football, many football players play baseball, and hell track is a mixed bag. I can tell you right now there are some studs on the basketball court not playing football due to this divide. Why are they not playing? Don't know - but the athletes are there.

cookiemonster
09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Old saying goes like this!!!
Fans Cheer, Players Play, and Coaches Coach! If any of those get out of whack things go bad in a hurry!
Coach Vance has developed his offensive phyilosophy over decades of trial and error! He has put LH on the map and now his plan isn't good enough for some that have very little knowledge!
Heard this once and it stuck with me: Worst kind of people are the ones that don't know they don't know! They are the ones that cause the most damage and don't even realize it until it's too late!

LHexPlayer
09-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Old saying goes like this!!!
Fans Cheer, Players Play, and Coaches Coach! If any of those get out of whack things go bad in a hurry!
Coach Vance has developed his offensive phyilosophy over decades of trial and error! He has put LH on the map and now his plan isn't good enough for some that have very little knowledge!
Heard this once and it stuck with me: Worst kind of people are the ones that don't know they don't know! They are the ones that cause the most damage and don't even realize it until it's too late!

I can agree with this post.

This is a forum to discuss 3a football. I will continue to cheer on my team and support them. I will also continue to support coach Vance. As a fan though, I would like to watch a more exciting offense. Nothing wrong with wanting that. I'm allowed to have an opinion. No, my opinion is not based on superior knowledge either. It's based on selfish reasons and I have no problem with that. We have this forum to discuss this stuff. I'm in no way trying to run anyone off, nor do I have the power to do that. All things change and eventually LH will change their offensive philosophy. I will still be around to see it and I can wait for that to happen. Till then, I will cheer them on because I really enjoy watching those players and coaches play their butts off.

I don't see how I'm causing damage, here.

Turin
09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

LH would need to go 1-4 or 0-5 in district to not make the playoffs. Which four teams are you guaranteeingto beat LH in district?

LHPfactory
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Ive resisted posting on this, but I don't see this happening. Time will tell, but the Defense is showing signs of being stellar, we will know after Wimberley. The offense will get it together, does anyone remember some of the issues the O had early in 07?, Like when we played in Burnet? (for any over reacting wingnuts, im not saying that this will be like the 2007 Offense, just using the example). It usually takes a few games for the system to run smooth. The next two games will smoothen it out, and Wimberley will be a good barometer of where we are. Be patient and don't trash the kids season so early... I believe this team will surprise some people.