PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Columbus

Pudlugger
08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
The Leps travel to Columbus to take on the Cardinals led by their old coach Tony Valastro. The Cardinals squeaked by Yoakum taking advantage of 8 turnovers to get the win for Coach V's opening night as head coach. The Leps will be trying to build on the momentum from a decisive win over 4a Marble Falls. This week they will face an offense much different than the Mustang's Spread in Coach V's Veer option. They will need to be ready to defense the triple option and smash mouth running game that Coach V has made a career on. The Lep D will need to shift gears and prepare for the ground game. This is going to be another big test for La Grange.

YTBulldogs
08-31-2013, 03:14 PM
LaGrange, 50-6.

hookandladder
08-31-2013, 04:11 PM
LaGrange, 50-6.

I think Pud taking the high road with Coach V now at Columbus, I do feel LG will win this game pretty handily as long as we protect the ball which we did last game. With the way we came out last week and played near perfection , the big key for us is to continue to improve and stay focused.

Pudlugger
09-01-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm not as sanguine as Hook regarding how easy this game will be for the win. The Cardinals have some good athlete's and Coach Valastro will definitely have them ready to play. The Leps could have a comedown from their win over MF and fall into a trap. For Columbus this is a huge rivalry game, more so than for La Grange[much as Giddings is to the Leps]. In Columbus, they turn off the lights to the water tower if they lose and turn them on if they win. They want to get the W. Hopefully the coaches will prepare the Leps mentally and physically to maintain their focus and the edge that they have achieved at this point early in the season. Columbus has plenty of speed and will challenge our defense to stop the run, especially the option plays to the outside. If our defense gets the job done and keeps the Cardinals below 21 points we should win this game.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm not as sanguine as Hook regarding how easy this game will be for the win. The Cardinals have some good athlete's and Coach Valastro will definitely have them ready to play. The Leps could have a comedown from their win over MF and fall into a trap. For Columbus this is a huge rivalry game, more so than for La Grange[much as Giddings is to the Leps]. In Columbus, they turn off the lights to the water tower if they lose and turn them on if they win. They want to get the W. Hopefully the coaches will prepare the Leps mentally and physically to maintain their focus and the edge that they have achieved at this point early in the season. Columbus has plenty of speed and will challenge our defense to stop the run, especially the option plays to the outside. If our defense gets the job done and keeps the Cardinals below 21 points we should win this game.

Easy with the spin Pud. LOL. You'll win. Did you make the game Friday afterall?

Pudlugger
09-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Easy with the spin Pud. LOL. You'll win. Did you make the game Friday afterall?

Just trying to keep our feet on the ground. I've been around long enough to see good Lep teams get blindsided after coming off big wins. These are young men playing this game and when you factor in all the variables that go along with that the equation starts to get complicated. Yes I think we should win big but only if they bring the focus and intensity to Columbus that they had last Friday.

Unfortunately upon orders of my doctor and my wife, I had to stay home with my feet up on the porch and listen to the game on KBUC. I had been looking forward to the Marble Falls game for a year and it was tough to not be there for the game but the radio guys did a stand up job announcing the game and I felt like I was there anyway. That proved to be the right thing as I'm greatly improved now and will be their Friday to cheer the Leps on.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Just trying to keep our feet on the ground. I've been around long enough to see good Lep teams get blindsided after coming off big wins. These are young men playing this game and when you factor in all the variables that go along with that the equation starts to get complicated. Yes I think we should win big but only if they bring the focus and intensity to Columbus that they had last Friday.

Unfortunately upon orders of my doctor and my wife, I had to stay home with my feet up on the porch and listen to the game on KBUC. I had been looking forward to the Marble Falls game for a year and it was tough to not be there for the game but the radio guys did a stand up job announcing the game and I felt like I was there anyway. That proved to be the right thing as I'm greatly improved now and will be their Friday to cheer the Leps on.

Great news. You'll love the dominating outcome you'll witness Friday, in person. Unless you turn it over 8 times of course:) That ain't going to happen. 50-6.

Pudlugger
09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks,YT I hope you are correct.Good luck to yall next Friday.

Pudlugger
09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Great news. You'll love the dominating outcome you'll witness Friday, in person. Unless you turn it over 8 times of course:) That ain't going to happen. 50-6.

YT did the Cards throw the ball effectively. Coach V likes to run the ball mostly.

YTBulldogs
09-04-2013, 09:20 AM
YT did the Cards throw the ball effectively. Coach V likes to run the ball mostly.

No, they are going to try and run it. Simcik was 3 of 8 for 50 yards and a INT for the Cards. Pud, ya'll have no worry's I assure you.;)

Pudlugger
09-04-2013, 11:58 AM
No, they are going to try and run it. Simcik was 3 of 8 for 50 yards and a INT for the Cards. Pud, ya'll have no worry's I assure you.;)

Padilla has us by 13. Harris by 24. I think we'll be fine but this early in the season and playing against our old coach gives me pause for concern.

Scoop27
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
On the web
www.kulmradio.com
http://www.kvlgkbuk.com/

Pudlugger
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Nice write up on the Cards win over Yoakum:

http://www.coloradocountycitizen.com/sports/article_e01d3ce6-14bd-11e3-9936-001a4bcf887a.html

buff4ever
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I heard from a friend in columbus that Coach V is saying he has a little something in store for LG when they come to town.

I don't see it, or think it will happen, but funny anyway.

Pudlugger
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I heard from a friend in columbus that Coach V is saying he has a little something in store for LG when they come to town.

I don't see it, or think it will happen, but funny anyway.

I would not doubt for one minute that Coach V will have his players ready to play and he will no doubt pull some stuff out of the deeper pages of his playbook to try to surprise the Leps. I'm sure Coach Kates understands the mindset here and will have our players ready.

Manso/V8
09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
LaGrange, 50-6.

That kind of prediction seems like an indictment on the Yoakum Bulldogs.
Is LaGrange that much better than Yoakum?

Saggy Aggie
09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
LG 35
Columbus 13

Pudlugger
09-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Rusty Cauthern is the defensive co-ordinator for the Cardinals. He was with Valastro in LG from 2001 to 2004 and put together some of the best defenses in recent memory. The 2001 Leps only gave up 9 points in the first 3 games of their playoff run to State. For the 6 games they gave up only 59 points for an average of 10 points per game against playoff caliber teams including Commerce the winner of the SC game 14-11. My son played during those years. He used to tell me how much the players liked Coach Cauthern. He was a very good coach with a real sense of humor. He would tell the boys running 40's that he was going to run them until he threw up.:) I'm expecting a very stout run defense from the Cards this Friday. Our o line will need to gain control of the LOS early on.

Weebe
09-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Don't get him wound up. Otherwise we will have to hear more excuses for Yoakum's loss and, for the 5th time on this tread, how he thinks La Grange will blow them out.

hookandladder
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
La Grange beat Columbus handily last year , La Grange is as good or better then last year. Same outcome La Grange wins going away, Coach V can only do as good as the talent he has to work with. At their place may help them some however LG offense to good for Columbus to stop all night, LG OL wears them down.

teetle
09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Pudes bes knowings whats he be talking abouts. Cardinals fast buts theys nots as goods as de leps. Pud's kowes that. He likes Jimmie ustes to bes.:weeping::weeping::weeping::weeping:

Pudlugger
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
La Grange beat Columbus handily last year , La Grange is as good or better then last year. Same outcome La Grange wins going away, Coach V can only do as good as the talent he has to work with. At their place may help them some however LG offense to good for Columbus to stop all night, LG OL wears them down.

I also think the Leps are as good or better than last year primarily due to the number of returning starters and Davis' apparent success in filling in for the loss of Vinklarek. Davis has a different style of play and different set of abilities than Vinklarek who was such an outstanding drop back passer and play maker. Davis, with his speed and agility, is more of a threat in running the football and scrambling out of the pocket and, although his arm may not be as strong as Vinklarek's, can still toss the ball accurately to his receivers on the run as well as in the pocket. So LG is more of a running team now with so much talent in the backfield and one of the best o lines in 3a this year. The Leps will not be throwing the ball as much without Vinklarek but with so many weapons on the run they will be successful.

As for Columbus, with a new coach and new system it is hard to predict if they will be better than last year. I think they will be better because their speed may be more effective in the running game especially the option which Valastro has made a career on. Again, I feel this game will be much more interesting than most folks expect.

YTBulldogs
09-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Currently yes, and I don't see LG turning it over 8 times here.

hookandladder
09-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Rusty Cauthern is the defensive co-ordinator for the Cardinals. He was with Valastro in LG from 2001 to 2004 and put together some of the best defenses in recent memory. The 2001 Leps only gave up 9 points in the first 3 games of their playoff run to State. For the 6 games they gave up only 59 points for an average of 10 points per game against playoff caliber teams including Commerce the winner of the SC game 14-11. My son played during those years. He used to tell me how much the players liked Coach Cauthern. He was a very good coach with a real sense of humor. He would tell the boys running 40's that he was going to run them until he threw up.:) I'm expecting a very stout run defense from the Cards this Friday. Our o line will need to gain control of the LOS early on.

Coach Cauthern is a solid defenses coach however I do not think he was on the coaching staff when we won state , I beleive he had left for one or two years. Now the runnerup team I think he was back with the Leps, which you may be referring to. It is going to take more then coaching this Friday for Columbus to stop our running game, if so Davis will burn you with his arm and legs. Looking forward to watching these Leps, It sure is easy to sit in the stands this year at their games and enjoy.

Pudlugger
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Coach Cauthern is a solid defenses coach however I do not think he was on the coaching staff when we won state , I beleive he had left for one or two years. Now the runnerup team I think he was back with the Leps, which you may be referring to. It is going to take more then coaching this Friday for Columbus to stop our running game, if so Davis will burn you with his arm and legs. Looking forward to watching these Leps, It sure is easy to sit in the stands this year at their games and enjoy.

Right, Hook, we won state in 2000. In 2001 we went and lost to Commerce 14-11. The defense was coached by Cauthern that year. That team's defense was awesome. I believe this team's offense will be very hard to stop if they execute like they have been so far.

Pudlugger
09-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Chance of rain tonight in Columbus. Might be a mud bowl.

buff4ever
09-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Mud bowl would be the cardinals only chance at staying in this one. No one can think columbus will win this game, that would be an upset.

Pudlugger
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
A mud bowl would favor LG imo. LG runs between the tackles mostly with an occasional pitch out wide. The Veer offense relies on the option with pitch outs to the trailing rb. Lots of fumbles possible with a wet football on pitch outs.

buff4ever
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I understand that, I am just saying it will take something out of the ordinary for them to win. Maybe in a mudbowl guys fumble the ball 8 times, and they pick it up and return it 4 of them.

Pudlugger
09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I understand that, I am just saying it will take something out of the ordinary for them to win. Maybe in a mudbowl guys fumble the ball 8 times, and they pick it up and return it 4 of them.

Yeah, hopefully the Leps will hold onto the football tonight. They only had one turnover last week.

Pudlugger
09-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Leps 28 Cards 14

The Leps came out in the first quarter and rolled over the Card defense to put up 14 points in their first two possessions. Then the Card defense stiffened and the Leps started working on their playbook, making unforced errors and generally stalling out on offense. The Lep defense played very well all night yielding only a td on a blown coverage 60 yard pass to Simick over the middle in the second quarter(2 pt try no good) then with 30 seconds left in the game after the Lep second offense stalled on the 24 yardline the Card returner took it to the house. The 2pt attempt was good on the second try after an offsides penalty on the Leps. So the final score was 28-14. Very ugly ending but a good win against a good Cardinal team.

zebrablue2
09-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Congrats LEPS, thanks for the update PUD!!! The cards may be a little better than some thought this year??

Pudlugger
09-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Congrats LEPS, thanks for the update PUD!!! The cards may be a little better than some thought this year??

Yes I think they are and said so early on in this thread. Coach Valastro has them playing pretty well on offense but they need to work on their o line execution. Coach Cauthern as expected had his defense working well slowing our running game down from the performance last week against Marble Falls. Our offense showed good balance with the passing attack responsible for keeping several drives alive on 3rd and long situations. also Davis is a threat when he tucks the ball in on tight coverage and runs. The Leps will be fine as they progress through the pre-district schedule. Columbus may win 5 games this year with their tough schedule.