PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel --vs-- Los Fresnos Battle Of Hwy 100

Big Tarp 74
07-25-2002, 07:44 PM
When these two teams meet, fireworks fly. Los Fresnos has three time Port Isabel Enrolement, and about 3 times as many players. This game will be in Los Fresnos and should be a barn burner. Los Fresnos should have a real strong 4A ball club. Cant wait!! What do ya all think!!

Wunderkindepiphany
07-26-2002, 01:10 PM
This annual game is always a great one...both teams (PI, Los Fresnos) are slated as 1st in their districts in the C-S rankings...If I recall correctly, Los Fresnos has taken quite a beating to Port Isabel these last few years. I think this year will be no different especially with what Los Fresnos has to work with this year...come game time LF will dominate PI's "seawall defense". Ha ha, poor old PI...they dont even see it coming...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-26-2002, 05:21 PM
Don't be so sure of yourself, pal.......P.I. is going to have one of the quickest secondaries in the area, and if LF's new coach is as pass happy as I hear he is, don't be shocked if you don't put much, if any, points on the board.

Also, P.I. is going to have LOTS of emotion, since they are dedicating this season to "Coach V"

Wunderkindepiphany
07-29-2002, 04:26 PM
as will Los Fresnos, you know...will be a very emotional game to watch...

-Coach V-
-RIP-

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 06:18 PM
The game will be a good one, but due to Los Fresnos enrollment size, I just dont see how we can compete, each year. As for this year, it could be close. I think PI will try to play a better game, but could have problem with both the Offense and Defense. The reason is, mostly due to two new coaches take over. One is on defense. He runs the same type of defense coach V did, but is only how the kids take to him. As for the Offense, it might just improve. The reason is, we should have much better play calling. Last year the play calling could be bad. Maybe this will be a better Year.

Los Fresnos 31 Port Isabel 6

Big Tarp 74
08-02-2002, 05:11 PM
We will not beat Los Fresnso at all. If you are thinking we will, your mistaken. Last year they kicked our royal blue butt, and they will do it again. LF 31 - PI 6

Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Don't be so sure of yourself, pal.......P.I. is going to have one of the quickest secondaries in the area, and if LF's new coach is as pass happy as I hear he is, don't be shocked if you don't put much, if any, points on the board.

Also, P.I. is going to have LOTS of emotion, since they are dedicating this season to "Coach V"

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited August 02, 2002).]

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-02-2002, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
[B]We will not beat Los Fresnso at all. If you are thinking we will, your mistaken. Last year they kicked our royal blue but, and they will do it again. LF 31 - PI 6

I can't believe the "once" mighty Tarpons fear the Falcons now. I didn't fear the Falcons growing up, I didn't fear the Falcons when I played, and to this day, I still don't fear them.

Maybe P.I. fans need to start dumping that "defeatist" attitude and start having that old Tarpon Attitude of "we are going to win EVERY game, no matter WHAT it takes to do it, we are going to do it". This attitude you've got now, is a far cry from what a TRUE Tarpon fan's attitude should be.

Besides, people in P.I. weren't complaining about playing Los Fresnos when we were beating the hell out of them in the early to mid 90s, why the complaining now? Just because we haven't beaten them in 6 tries doesn't mean we have to roll over and die. BigTarp, do you want Tarpons to roll over and die? I don't.

If you keep having that "defeatist" attitude, then you just may as well throw away all the tradition, all the years of hard work, THROW AWAY EVERYTHING THAT COACH V BUILT UP IN PORT ISABEL, AND THROW AWAY EVERYTHING THAT COACH V STOOD FOR!

i've said my piece.

(he would have hated that......sorry Coach V)

Big Tarp 74
08-02-2002, 05:50 PM
I have not given up on winning against Los Fresnos. I just stated that, the odds are very much against us. They have a very good ball club this year. They have better speed, and size. It not that Port Isabel cannot beat them, it the fact, they will be working under a new offensive coordinator. This will cause PI player to go into a tail spin. I do not think, with only two games under their belt, they will have had enough time to learn this guys system. I feel we are going to make our share of mistakes. Not because we are a worse team, but because we have not had enough time working with this coaches system. The defense will really be a question mark. This coach runs the same defense, but handles issues in a different manner. As for my Tarpon Pride, it is there, but if Los Fresnsos is making no changes to its offense or defense, then the kids from Los Fresnsos do not have to learn as much this season. All they will have too worrie about is working on there playes.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
[B]We will not beat Los Fresnso at all. If you are thinking we will, your mistaken. Last year they kicked our royal blue but, and they will do it again. LF 31 - PI 6

I can't believe the "once" mighty Tarpons fear the Falcons now. I didn't fear the Falcons growing up, I didn't fear the Falcons when I played, and to this day, I still don't fear them.

Maybe P.I. fans need to start dumping that "defeatist" attitude and start having that old Tarpon Attitude of "we are going to win EVERY game, no matter WHAT it takes to do it, we are going to do it". This attitude you've got now, is a far cry from what a TRUE Tarpon fan's attitude should be.

Besides, people in P.I. weren't complaining about playing Los Fresnos when we were beating the hell out of them in the early to mid 90s, why the complaining now? Just because we haven't beaten them in 6 tries doesn't mean we have to roll over and die. BigTarp, do you want Tarpons to roll over and die? I don't.

If you keep having that "defeatist" attitude, then you just may as well throw away all the tradition, all the years of hard work, THROW AWAY EVERYTHING THAT COACH V BUILT UP IN PORT ISABEL, AND THROW AWAY EVERYTHING THAT COACH V STOOD FOR!

i've said my piece.

(he would have hated that......sorry Coach V)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
I have not given up on winning against Los Fresnos. I just stated that, the odds are very much against us. They have a very good ball club this year. They have better speed, and size. It not that Port Isabel cannot beat them, it the fact, they will be working under a new offensive coordinator. This will cause PI player to go into a tail spin. I do not think, with only two games under their belt, they will have had enough time to learn this guys system. I feel we are going to make our share of mistakes. Not because we are a worse team, but because we have not had enough time working with this coaches system. The defense will really be a question mark. This coach runs the same defense, but handles issues in a different manner. As for my Tarpon Pride, it is there, but if Los Fresnsos is making no changes to its offense or defense, then the kids from Los Fresnsos do not have to learn as much this season. All they will have too worrie about is working on there playes.

That's all good and fine, but one of my rules as a Tarpon, is to NEVER predict the Tarpons to lose. EVEN if the Tarpons are 45 or so point underdogs, ALWAYS predict a 21-20 or a 28-27 win for the Tarpons. After a while, you will change from an optimist, to a realist.

MY prediction for Port Isabel @ Los Fresnos.......

Tarpons 34
Falcons 28 OT

Big Tarp 74
08-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Ok, if everything goes as it is was designed.

That's all good and fine, but one of my rules as a Tarpon, is to NEVER predict the Tarpons to lose. EVEN if the Tarpons are 45 or so point underdogs, ALWAYS predict a 21-20 or a 28-27 win for the Tarpons. After a while, you will change from an optimist, to a realist.

MY prediction for Port Isabel @ Los Fresnos.......

Tarpons 34
Falcons 28 OT

Wunderkindepiphany
08-05-2002, 11:29 PM
LF will spank PI. BIG mismatch.

Bull Butter
08-06-2002, 12:05 AM
I love how the Los Fresnos people get all jacked up to beat PI.(How many other schools in the state consider a school with 3 times fewer students to be their biggest game?) Most Los Fresnos fans would be happy with 1-9, as long as that 1 is Port Isabel. Fortunately, the administration didn't see it that way and gave the coach his walking papers (errrrrrrr promotion to Athletic Director) after that awesome 4-6 season in 2001.

I could care less who wins that game. I would hope the PI players care more about beating La Feria, Raymondville and Rio Hondo---Games that actually mean something.

Wunderkindepiphany
08-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Actually, Los Fresnos gets jacked up for every game, the PI-LF game being no different. You wouldn't want Los Fresnos to treat you differently now would you? That would be demeaning to both PI and Los Fresnos, unless of course you really harbor doubt in your PI team. A lot could be said in what you wrote...The truth is, the PI-LF game has years of tradition in it, it represents much more than one game of football could ever tell you...but if one would need to to present themselves in a conversation with a level lacking couth, I guess one could respond with an initial form of an idea. One could say that LF is granting PI an honor to even field a team on the same floor with PI. But I wouldn't say anything like that, because I know the respect between Port Isabel and Los Fresnos is mutual. What amount of respect? That stands at stalemate. Anyhow, LF's gonna kick PI's ASS so hard, man its scary. I hear the cries even now every night of the PI parents who just couldnt accept that the pride of their town, their children, were dismantled yet another year..its sad, yes sad.

(revised)
LF-the sky's the limit...
PI-cant see the sky, face is planted firmly in the ground at Leo Aguilar Stadium.

Bull Butter
08-07-2002, 12:49 AM
You forgot one thing.

After PI has "their face planted in the turf at Leo Aguilar Stadium", they will rise up and win district 32-AAA. Los Fresnos will go nowhere but down. Isn't that the way it happened last year???

You wouldn't believe all the LF people I saw in the stands last year at PI's playoff games. Although we thank you for your support, it's not needed. PI has been to the playoffs so many times and had so much success, we are respected throughout South Texas (why else are we the biggest game on everybody's schedule, INCLUDING LF?). Go to the other posts and read what the Sinton people have to say. Can LF say the same thing??? To be respected, you're gonna have do do more than one lucky overtime win against an Alice team that was having a down year.

sinton66
08-07-2002, 07:22 AM
Well, we TRY real hard not to disrespect anyone. That said, P.I. and La Feria both have our respect. We KNOW better than to rag on folks we've tested, that sort of thing ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the butt when you least expect it. So, I'm not gonna help either of you get down on the other. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Best of luck guys!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-07-2002, 10:59 AM
BallButter - I wouldn't worry about it, man. Wunderkind likes to talk smack to P.I. and is a diehard Los Fresnos Falcons fan. I'm not sure if you are a current player, or are a former player, but you should know that one of our rules is to let our actions on the field to the talking for us.

Let Wunderkind talk all the smack he wants! I have a feeling it will come back and bite HIM on his ass, just like it did to La Feria last season, and just like Sinton66 described.

footballgal
08-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
Well, we TRY real hard not to disrespect anyone. That said, P.I. and La Feria both have our respect. We KNOW better than to rag on folks we've tested, that sort of thing ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the butt when you least expect it. So, I'm not gonna help either of you get down on the other. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Best of luck guys!

Your right Sinton66, Oh just a slight correction He's talking about Los Fresons a 4 a Team, not to be confused with La Feria a district foe.

sinton66
08-07-2002, 12:42 PM
They oughta have a shootout, one to many LF's in the valley(This town ain't big enough for both of us, stranger!!!Cross this line, I dare ya!...... Ok, now cross THIS line, I dare ya!)
Sorry, too much Bugs Bunny as a kid. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 07, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 07, 2002).]

Bull Butter
08-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I know. Hopefully Wunderkind knows I'm just messing with him/her. One of the greatest things about the valley is how the schools really support each other come playoff time. I've seen people from just about every town in the Valley at our playoff games over the years. Plus, I've traveled all over to support some of our valley teams like Mercedes, Harlingen, Nikki Rowe, Edcouch-Elsa and Rivera.

Big Tarp 74
08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Your right! We have LF - La Feria, LF - Lyford, and LF - Los Fresnos. Talk about being in LF - Left Field. Ha Ha!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sinton66:
[B]They oughta have a shootout, one to many LF's in the valley(This town ain't big enough for both of us, stranger!!!Cross this line, I dare ya!...... Ok, now cross THIS line, I dare ya!)
Sorry, too much Bugs Bunny as a kid. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Wunderkindepiphany
08-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Anyone who has been on a board with me before this knows that all of my comments are made in jest. All in good spirit. That aside, Id like to think that LF has a chance to make it at least 2-3 rounds deep in the playoffs. There is a lot of talent at LF, we just were inexperienced...come district we'll see though. Remember Coach V was at LF for some time as well, the tradition of his style of defensive play is still very alive at LF. Many of the upperclassmen that are now on the team played under Coach V, as did I back in middle school. I just talk **** to hype things up. Its a rivalry for a reason...but come district time, I think LF will be serious, especially with their new head coach...he was the receiver coach at District Champ Leander last year (who incidentally had the district MVP), runs off of Shotgun, and I think he'll have a lot to work with considering LF won district in Track and has quite a few returnees...Best of luck to all.

Kool Tarpon 21
08-16-2002, 12:50 AM
Hey! Now look here...I am a part of the Port Isabel Tarpons Football Team and I don't like anybody disrespecting us...Los Fresnos did beat us last year and I give them props, but this upcoming year is gonna be different...Yeah, Los Fresnos outnumber us like 5 to 1, but we have pretty good talent...Los Fresnos can keep on talking all they want...The Tarpons do their talking where it's supposed to be, on the field...Nevertheless, we'll just have to wait and see who is going to be on top...