Willis

11 First downs
35 rushes for 110 yards
12-29 passing for 76 yards
186 total yards

7 Points on an 85 yard kickoff return.

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Defense looks pretty good. Offense is work in progress. Not a bad showing.. A lot of work needs to be done.

navscanmaster
08-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Defense looks pretty good. Offense is work in progress. Not a bad showing.. A lot of work needs to be done.
Not bad for game one with a ton of new faces! I didn't get to listen to the game tonight since we brought home Liam, my third child and first boy. Hopefully I'll get to bring him to his first Rattler game later this year, preferably indoors, amirite?

Cam
08-31-2013, 01:59 AM

566 total yards!...that's it?.....definitely a work in progress!....:doh:

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 07:36 AM
If we expect to be playing in December. Remember, this was Willis that we played, not La Marque.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Not bad for game one with a ton of new faces! I didn't get to listen to the game tonight since we brought home Liam, my third child and first boy. Hopefully I'll get to bring him to his first Rattler game later this year, preferably indoors, amirite?

Congrats!

zebrablue2
08-31-2013, 08:23 AM

566 total yds, a work in progress:confused: Congrats on the victory...

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 08:54 AM
566 total yds, a work in progress:confused: Congrats on the victory...

It's easy to look at the final numbers. Yes, they are a work in progress. The score was 7-7 @ the half. Tons of dropped passes, missed assignments, etc. I said that it was not a bad showing giving it was the first varsity game for many of the young Rattlers. However, I'm not going to kid myself or anyone else. From what I saw, there's room for improvement. This was Willis, not La Marque, Carthage, Bellville, Stephenville or any off the top 3A teams. And, if any of you were in attendance, you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

Overall, this team has the potential to be very good. This should be another fun season. Up next, Navasota at Coldspring.

ronwx5x
08-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Went to the game and I must say the Rattlers struggled on offense for a bit. Lot of first game jitters but they wore that Wildkat defense down in the third quarter and after that it was a horse race. The score probably should have been about 28-7 at half but a couple of TD passes were dropped that were thrown right on. Willis had no answer for the Rattler running game, but that option pitchout for the Rattler QB is no secret to the defense. I'm not sure the option pitchout worked even once if I recall correctly. The Rattler field goal kicker needs a little work though. He has the leg but line drive from 40 yards out won't get it done. The WR #2 should get better with time and experience.

#14 for the Wildkats is FAST!

ronwx5x
08-31-2013, 09:15 AM
BTW, I noticed a concrete pad newly laid just inside the entrance. My guess is some sort of State Championship sign?

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Went to the game and I must say the Rattlers struggled on offense for a bit. Lot of first game jitters but they wore that Wildkat defense down in the third quarter and after that it was a horse race. The score probably should have been about 28-7 at half but a couple of TD passes were dropped that were thrown right on. Willis had no answer for the Rattler running game, but that option pitchout for the Rattler QB is no secret to the defense. I'm not sure the option pitchout worked even once if I recall correctly. The Rattler field goal kicker needs a little work though. He has the leg but line drive from 40 yards out won't get it done. The WR #2 should get better with time and experience.

#14 for the Wildkats is FAST!

Yes, I'm not sure why that option play was ran so often. And, #14 for Willis is super fast. Is he the guy who won the 400m?

OldBison75
08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Hemo,
Two wide open receivers dropped passes that were sure touchdowns. Both of those drives ended scoreless. A holding penalty on a pass play where the receiver did score that also did not produce any points. Three missed field goals from a kicker that was perfect last year. That is six drives that we should have gotten points on that ended empty.

I saw alot of really positive signs: the offensive line was very good, young receivers are fast and played well for first starts, several backs ran the ball effectively, and the defense is pretty salty.

As good as the scoreboard looked at the end of the night, they will have to cut out a bunch of mental errors before next week. Coldspring will make them pay for missing chances.

Overall, a good opening performance for the defending champs though.

OldBison75
08-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes Hemo, the kid from Willis that returned the kickoff was the state 400 meter winner in track.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Hemo,
Two wide open receivers dropped passes that were sure touchdowns. Both of those drives ended scoreless. A holding penalty on a pass play where the receiver did score that also did not produce any points. Three missed field goals from a kicker that was perfect last year. That is six drives that we should have gotten points on that ended empty.

I saw alot of really positive signs: the offensive line was very good, young receivers are fast and played well for first starts, several backs ran the ball effectively, and the defense is pretty salty.

As good as the scoreboard looked at the end of the night, they will have to cut out a bunch of mental errors before next week. Coldspring will make them pay for missing chances.

Overall, a good opening performance for the defending champs though.

I agree. The potential is definitely there. I'm really looking forward to see them progress throughout the season.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes Hemo, the kid from Willis that returned the kickoff was the state 400 meter winner in track.

Wow, he was FAST! Thanks for the info.

1971Coogs
08-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Navasota Stats

23 First Downs
37 rushes for 215 yards
20-34 passing for 351 yards (2 Ints).
566 total yards
2 fumbles
4 total turnovers

35 POINTS

Willis

11 First downs
35 rushes for 110 yards
12-29 passing for 76 yards
186 total yards

7 Points on an 85 yard kickoff return.that's some impressive stats actually.