PDA

View Full Version : Report: A-Rod willing to play third base

3afan2K3
02-14-2004, 04:27 PM
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez will be playing third base for the Yankees this season, alongside shortstop Derek Jeter, if Newsday is to be believed.

The 600,000-plus circulation newspaper on suburban Long Island, N.Y., reported on its web site Saturday afternoon that A-Rod is desperate to get out of Texas and would be willing to switch positions to get to New York.

Earlier Saturday, reacting to a report in Newsday's morning edition that talks of a trade were serious, a source close to the conversations told ESPN that talks are in the early stages but that it's a "longshot" the deal will ever be completed because of "many hurdles" that stand in the way.

According to the Newsday web report, those hurdles are in the process of being knocked down. No announcement is expected today, according to Newsday, as some minor technical details remain to be worked out, but the story reported that all sides remain confident everything will be finalized within a few days.

The New York Post, which is usually leading the way when sensational stories pop up, reported Saturday only that the Yankees have asked the Rangers about their interest in making such a trade, in which Alfonso Soriano would leave New York.

On Saturday afternoon, The Associated Press reported that the Yanks and Rangers had started preliminary discussions Wednesday night, according to a high-ranking baseball official, and that it's still too early to tell whether they will lead to a deal. Rodriguez has a no-trade clause but has said he would be amenable to a deal to the Yankees, the official said.

Soriano, 25, is signed only through 2004, for $5.4 million. He can't be a free agent until after the 2006 season. The 28-year-old Rodriguez is owed $189 million over the next seven years, although he can opt out after 2007. Thus, the Yankees would take on an extra $183.6 million guaranteed if the deal is consummated.

However, according to Newsday's source, the Rangers would be willing to foot some of that bill. The American League source also told Newsday that the two clubs talked late into Friday night about the trade.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman admitted to the Post on Friday that he has approached the Rangers about a deal, but was initially turned down.

"There are many times I float weather balloons to my counterparts," Cashman told the Post. "I won't comment on trade rumors, but it should come as no surprise that I am constantly floating weather balloons to my counterparts. Ninety-nine [percent] of them get popped and fall to the ground."

Texas officials did not immediately return telephone calls, according to the AP, which reached Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, only to have him say, "I can't comment on the situation."

The Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade.

The Red Sox and Rangers talked extensively this winter about a deal involving A-Rod, but could not get it done, thanks to A-Rod's contract. The two teams did agree to a trade in December, but the union refused to approve it, declaring that A-Rod was setting an unacceptable precedent by diminishing his contract's value.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks then announced that Rodriguez would stay with the Rangers, and last month the team named A-Rod its captain.

The Yankees recently lost third baseman Aaron Boone to what likely is a season-ending knee injury. The trade would create a void at second base for the Yankees. Enrique Wilson and Miguel Cairo would have to share the duties.

Rodriguez, who has 345 career homers, is coming off an MVP season in which he hit .298 with 47 homers and 118 RBI.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735039

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

crzyjournalist03
02-14-2004, 04:47 PM
I'd have to think that this is NYY trying to get more media coverage...Hicks has named Rodriguez the Rangers' team captain, and has also said that Rodriguez will remain with the team...there was no 99.9% clause or anything...Rodriguez is going to be a Ranger, end of story...New York is just looking for attention in their local media, but unfortunately, this story is arleady across the nation and will probably cause more trouble for the Rangers organization.

crzyjournalist03
02-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Sportscenter just reported that the deal has been agreed upon and the two teams are finalizing details with an announcement expected to come Monday...I don't believe it...as much as I've always hated the Yankees, it just grew that much more if this deal is completed. They would have 6 of the 12 biggest contracts in MLB history on their roster at the same time. They are the epitome of what is wrong with professional sports...

The Rangers in return are expected to get Alfonso Soriano and a minor league pitcher...Soriano slumped terribly in the second half of the season last year, and was horrible in the postseason, so he'll be coming back without much confidence...add in a minor league pitcher, and the Rangers are getting ripped off royally. This is a trade that will do nothing but hurt the organization...I've been Ranger fan since I can remember, but if this goes through as reported, I may be forced to find another team to cheer for. frown

VWG
02-14-2004, 06:20 PM
crzyjournalist03:
Sportscenter just reported that the deal has been agreed upon and the two teams are finalizing details with an announcement expected to come Monday...I don't believe it...as much as I've always hated the Yankees, it just grew that much more if this deal is completed. They would have 6 of the 12 biggest contracts in MLB history on their roster at the same time. They are the epitome of what is wrong with professional sports..
The Rangers in return are expected to get Alfonso Soriano and a minor league pitcher...Soriano slumped terribly in the second half of the season last year, and was horrible in the postseason, so he'll be coming back without much confidence...add in a minor league pitcher, and the Rangers are getting ripped off royally. This is a trade that will do nothing but hurt the organization...I've been Ranger fan since I can remember, but if this goes through as reported, I may be forced to find another team to cheer for. :(Amen. Rangers get screwed, or shall we say the Rangers fans get screwed. Tom Hicks has been wanting to dump A-Rod's contract to anybody that will take it. A-Rod for Soriano and a minor league pitcher is not worth it. The Yankees farm system is loaded, and they should at least include 2-3 sure fire major leaguers to be instead of just one pitcher. How many K's did Soriano have last year? Defensively.. please this is not a good deal for the Rangers.

Bellville22
02-15-2004, 03:38 AM
I hate the Yankees more than just about everything in this world.

Go Sox!!!

District303aPastPlayer
02-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Death to the Evil Empire

slpybear the bullfan
02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
My signature line says how I feel...

Some interesting points from the Startlegram today...

The Rangers pay 40MM over the next 4 years to dump him... But wind up saving in the neighborhood of 120MM. I am sure that they will be able to find some useless, no-good pitcher to blow it on.. ala Chan Ho"me run" Park.

It also goes on to state that Scott Boras got the ball rolling on this one.

It also said that the Rangers were looking to get pitcher Kerry Wood as the minor league player. ????

Well, now there will be a cloud over the usual excitement come April...

I HATE THE YANKEES. But I may be learning to hate the current ownership just as much...

sign me off as "Disgruntled Rangers Fan"

crzyjournalist03
02-15-2004, 05:39 PM
so the deal actually happened...the player's union has approved it, and the only thing that has to happen is the commish's signature on the deal...farewell Alex...you'll be missed!

Buckeye80
02-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Buy another one Steinbrenner! The Yankees, the Lakers, the Red Wings, and to a lesser degree the Redskins all disgust me! They all are trying to "buy" championships!
But leading the category by leaps and bounds are the Yankees. They have ruined baseball and probably are responsible for SARS or some other global disaster.