PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny-Bay City preview

Scoop27
08-30-2013, 06:47 AM
By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com

SWEENY — A new head coach, new system and a new starting quarterback are just some things Sweeny has been working on the past few months. Two scrimmages, against Angleton and Wharton answered a few questions.

“I liked the fact that we competed hard against Angleton, a good program that at times just outsized us,” Sweeny coach Paul Kilby said. “I really liked the fact that our defense flew to the football. At times it hurt us on a couple of big plays but that is just something we have to keep working on.”

The Bulldogs will get a good test of their progress when the Bay City Blackcats comes to Bulldog Stadium at 7:30 p.m. today for the 12th meeting between the neighboring cities.

With Kilby’s slot-T offense in place, the Bulldogs will pound the ball on opponents. Senior Taylor Robertson (6-foot-1, 175 pounds) takes over at quarterback while Dorland Fields (5-foot-10, 185) — the starter on and off at quarterback for the past two seasons — moves full-time into the backfield.

“I really like Taylor’s leadership qualities and he has shown good character to lead this team,” Kilby said. “So far he’s done well with taking misdirection and has thrown the ball well. He is quite accurate and there were a couple of balls that he threw that got lost in the lights. So receivers have to be ready.”

The Bulldogs also will depend on Fields’ speed (10.7, 100-dash), along with junior Anthany Simmons (5-foot-9, 175). Senior Jamarkus Averhart, Dante Lemons and sophomore Derek Davis (6-foot-1, 165) are others who will get some touches.

“We have to hang onto the ball; we have put the ball on the carpet way too many times,” Kilby said.

The Bulldogs will be facing a Blackcat squad (0-10) that went winless in 2012 but returns 18 starters, nine on each side of the ball.

Second-team all-district performers, wide receiver Marcus Pointer (6-foot-2, 200), running back Stacy Monroe (5-foot-9, 175) and defensive lineman Alex MacLennan (6-foot-2, 255) are some of the top returners for Bay City. MacLennan led the team in tackles.

Junior quarterback Zavaian Gartica (6-foot-1, 190) started eight games as a sophomore.

“They are tremedously improved, especially with their defense,” Kilby said. “They are quick off the ball and they gave Bellville fits in their scrimmage. Their game plan and scheme look solid.

“We are going to have to protect the football and our defense is going to have to fly around and make big plays,” he said. “But we also need to make sure we stay away from giving up big plays. I think since it is early, the kicking game could play a part here.”

Sweeny has won the last three meetings, including last year’s 48-15 romp.

SHSBulldog00
08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Sweeny wins 48-27

Looked good in some areas but still have some things to iron out before district.