PDA

View Full Version : NFL and Former Players Reach Settlement on Concussion Lawsuits

Roughneck93
08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
From the article...

NFL and NFL Properties will contribute $765 million to provide medical benefits and injury compensation for retired NFL players, fund medical and safety research, and cover litigation expenses..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/nfl-reaches-765-million-settlement-in-concussion-lawsuit/

Old Tiger
08-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Legal fee's on both sides are covered by NFL.

So it ends up being a billion for them.

Maybe we can go back to real football again now that players "know" the risk.

cougartino
08-29-2013, 06:39 PM
I know it won't mean a Hoover Dam thing but I disagree. No pun intended, but no one held a gun up to anyone's head to play football. They could have learned another trade or skill and done what I do - SOMETHING ELSE IN LIFE TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE! They were paid rather handsomely for their trade. I didn't need no frickin' study by the Mayo Clinic to tell me there is a danger involved with butting your head against another object. Try driver's ed! Ever see some of those car crashes? Players assumed the risk. I feel for the players and families that committed suicide. But guys weren't parading or championing the cause for head trauma when they were signing million dollar contracts or holding out for more. Just like then, this lawsuit was about the jack and nothing but the jack!

Black_Magic
08-30-2013, 08:04 AM
I know it won't mean a Hoover Dam thing but I disagree. No pun intended, but no one held a gun up to anyone's head to play football. They could have learned another trade or skill and done what I do - SOMETHING ELSE IN LIFE TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE! They were paid rather handsomely for their trade. I didn't need no frickin' study by the Mayo Clinic to tell me there is a danger involved with butting your head against another object. Try driver's ed! Ever see some of those car crashes? Players assumed the risk. I feel for the players and families that committed suicide. But guys weren't parading or championing the cause for head trauma when they were signing million dollar contracts or holding out for more. Just like then, this lawsuit was about the jack and nothing but the jack!

1) nobody held a gun to the NFLs head and made them pay those high salaries either bud.

2) Your a dream come true for big business and a nightmare for the ordinary guy. There is such a thing in this world as work related injuries. When a guy get hurt on the job then they diserve to be taken care of and not just discarded. There is such a thing as dangerous things in a workplace that are discovered YEARS after the fact. Like asbestos. This is like those cases.

cougartino
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
1) nobody held a gun to the NFLs head and made them pay those high salaries either bud.

2) Your a dream come true for big business and a nightmare for the ordinary guy. There is such a thing in this world as work related injuries. When a guy get hurt on the job then they diserve to be taken care of and not just discarded. There is such a thing as dangerous things in a workplace that are discovered YEARS after the fact. Like asbestos. This is like those cases.

1. Exactly! To curtail that, work somewhere else.
2. Injuries are inherent in football. Concussions in football are expected. But lawyers, doctors, teachers, and the like, concussions are not expected to be a part of their day to day job function. I don't consider a man playing a game, making millions, living in the best houses, eating the finest of foods, wearing tailored suits, driving the most expensive of automobiles, and on and on, ordinary guys. No one knew the real dangers of asbestos. But a person would have to be a Hoover Dam fool not to know the dangers of knocking your head against other objects for years. Those guys assumed the risks but took the money in exchange. But I'm not surprised by this turn of events. We live in a society where no one is responsible for any of their choices and whining gets you what you want. And Jim McMahon was a plaintiff? Concussions or too much of the hippie lettuce? Pehaps if players had taken the path of ESPN's Robert Smith who retired in his prime, healthy and intelligent to gain meaningful employment, instead of trying to live large in front of their boys and having to pay boo-coos and boo-coos in child support to their 5 different baby mommas, they'd be able to live a comfortable and healthy life after football.

Old Tiger
08-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Should have laid off the cocaine.