PDA

View Full Version : Brazos Valley Area News

HEMOTOXIC
08-29-2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_6c36043d-e193-5958-bb53-c9506d69fb73.html

Salado Eagles at Rockdale Tigers

Districts: Salado -- 13-2A Division I; Rockdale -- 18-3A

2012 Records: Salado 2-8 (2-5 in 13-2A Division I); Rockdale 5-6 (2-2 in 18-3A)

2012 Playoffs: Salado -- Did not qualify; Rockdale -- Division II bi-district: Lost to Lorena, 36-22

Last year: Rockdale 35, Salado 21

Radio: 98.5 FM, KRXT

Harris Ratings pick: Rockdale by 11

Next: Salado at Lorena; Rockdale at Burnet

Willis Wildkats at Navasota Rattlers

Districts: Willis -- 18-4A; Navasota -- 18-3A;

2012 Records: Willis 2-8 (2-6 in 18-4A); Navasota 16-0 (4-0 in 18-3A)

2012 Playoffs: Willis -- Did not qualify; Navasota -- Division II bi-district: def. China Spring, 62-16; Area: def. Jasper, 59-14; Regional: def. La Marque, 31-20; Quarterfinal: def. West Orange-Stark, 38-7; Semifinal: def. Bellville, 24-7; State championship: def. Gilmer, 39-3

Last year: Navasota 42, Willis 0

Radio: 1550 AM, KWBC

Harris Ratings pick: Navasota by 35

Next: Crosby at Willis; Navasota at Coldspring-Oakhurst

Caldwell Hornets at Bellville Brahmas

Districts: Caldwell -- 18-3A; Bellville -- 25-3A

2012 Records: Caldwell 1-8 (1-3 in 18-3A); Bellville 11-4 (5-1 in 25-3A)

2012 Playoffs: Caldwell -- did not qualify; Bellville -- Division II bi-district: def. Cuero, 34-13; Area: def. Wimberley, 21-7; Regional: def. Orange Grove, 42-0; Quarterfinal: def. Port Isabel, 22-0; Semifinal: Lost to Navasota, 24-7.

Last year: Bellville 77, Caldwell 15

Harris Ratings pick: Bellville by 35

Next: Caldwell at Hearne; Houston The Kinkaid School at Bellville

HEMOTOXIC
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_4b95b6ce-d258-55f3-9839-3a4979375c04.html

The Bryan/College Station Eagle Picks

Friday

A&M Consolidated at Copperas Cove -- Going to the Dawgs. Consol 38-28

Bryan at Waco Midway -- Not quite all the way. Midway 34-28

Elgin at Rudder -- Wildcats still in formation. Elgin 36-20

Brenham at Richmond Foster -- Fostering expectations. Brenham 28-14

Lorena at Madisonville -- Can't spot the Leopards a lead. Lorena 27-23

Caldwell at Bellville -- For whom Bellville tolls. Bellville 42-20

Willis at Navasota -- Wildkats' K means strikeout. Navasota 35-16

Salado at Rockdale -- Rock climbing. Rockdale 27-10

HEMOTOXIC
08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Nice article on Jordan Wells.

http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_8285e7c1-ccf5-5fa2-91a8-7c783be783ed.html

Navasota's Jordan Wells a championship force
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 12:00 am

Navasota's Jordan Wells a championship force By LARRY BOWEN larry.bowen@theeagle.com BrazosSports | 0 comments

College football coaches inclined to judge Navasota defensive lineman Jordan Wells by tape measure should pay more attention to video.

Wells was the Class 3A co-defensive player of the year last season after helping the Rattlers capture their first football state championship. He returns for his senior season as one of the most accomplished players in the Brazos Valley but still has to answer questions about his listed height of 5 feet, 11 1/2 inches.

"A lot of colleges have contacted me about him, and the first thing they ask is about his height," Navasota coach Lee Fedora said. "I've always been one of those guys who believe you've got to find the players. I told him not to worry about his height. He is what he is. Maybe he won't be 6-3, but when you're looking for great athletes, you want guys who are winners, guys who are players. I've seen some unbelievable college athletes that are undersized."

At 280 pounds, Wells should be heavy enough to play defensive tackle. He certainly is strong enough, having finished fourth in the super heavyweight division at the state powerlifting meet as a junior.

"To me, my height really doesn't matter," Wells said. "It's a little frustrating. I know I can play at my height, so that bugs me a little bit."

Measured by production, Wells stands tall.

Last season he made 163 tackles, including 67 behind the line of scrimmage with 15 quarterback sacks. Wells was one of the standouts on a Navasota defense that limited opponents to 110 points in 16 games.

"He proved himself last year," Fedora said. "Everything he did was phenomenal. I think he showed in the state championship game just how hard of a guy he is to block."

Wells delivered a monster game as the Rattlers beat Gilmer 39-3 for the 3A Division II state crown, with six of his 10 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

"We tried to double him," Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor said. "We tried to triple him. We tried to read him, but he was just too much."

In junior high and as a freshman, Wells played fullback and defensive tackle, but he's spent the last two years playing strictly defense. When he steps on a football field he doesn't have much use for offensive players. Fedora calls it an old-school defensive mentality, exactly what he's looking for in a defender.

"I just like to hit," Wells said. "I'm friendly with everybody, but when it comes to football, I hate to lose. I play hard and try to help my team out the best I can."

Wells has gotten a scholarship offer from Lamar, and coaches from Southern Methodist have shown interest.

"It doesn't matter what school I go to as long as I get to play football," Wells said. "I think if I have another great year, more schools and bigger schools will come and offer me scholarships.

"It makes me play hard. I can try to get big schools like [Texas] A&M to come talk to me."

The Rattlers will begin the season ranked fourth in the Associated Press poll, and it likely will be up to Wells and the defense to hold the fort while a rebuilt offense develops. Navasota must replace record-setting quarterback Kadarius Baker, top receivers Austin Collins and Solomon McGinty and leading rusher Xavier Creeks.

Navasota's new-look backfield will include sophomore quarterback Shelton Eppler and junior tailback Derrion Randle, who rushed for 558 yards and eight touchdowns on 71 carries as a reserve last season. Candidates to take over at receiver include sophomore Trendavion Dickson and junior Davon Jernigan.

Most of the Rattlers' experience on offense will be up front, where the line will be led by senior guard Bo Meece and junior tackle Michael Coffey.

Junior place-kicker Michel Martinez provides another scoring option. Last season, Martinez earned all-state honors after connecting on all 13 field goal attempts and 87 of 95 extra points.

Junior Jerbrell Lipscomb and senior Deiontte Taylor give Navasota two proven cornerbacks on defense. Lipscomb, who had 66 tackles and broke up 11 passes, also could help the Rattlers' offense as a receiver. Taylor intercepted three passes and made 97 tackles last season.

The defensive front unit led by Wells also will feature junior linebacker Coy Imhoff. Linemen Desmond Calhoun and Anthony Small both were honorable mention all-district picks last season.

Navasota, which has made the playoffs in each of the last six years, will open the season by playing host to 4A Willis on Aug. 30.