PDA

View Full Version : You ate where??

Cam
08-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Funniest or strangest restaurant names you've ever seen??

Driving just north of Burnet this morning on 281, I noticed a green sign on the fence that read, "Green Fly B-B-Q" with an arrow pointing towards Lampasas.....Not sure where it is...for some reason, the name doesn't sound too appealing....but I'll give it a try if I ever find it.....
But the funniest (pure genius) name I've ever seen was in the small town of San Juan, TX in the Valley. Little taco place called: "TACO-N-MADRE"......Of course, ya gotta know the language to get a kick out of it!.......This place was actually closed down!....Oh well, at least they had a great sense of humor!....:doh:

BwdLion73
08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I was passing through Paducah, Tx. on my way to the Panhandle area and saw a restaurant called 'CRACKERS'! :eek:

Cam
08-28-2013, 01:34 PM
I was passing through Paducah, Tx. on my way to the Panhandle area and saw a restaurant called 'CRACKERS'! :eek:

I've been to that place!.....The owner's name is Jack......but they call him "Crackers Jack" for short.....and let me tell ya, Jack ain't no giant killer!....

caleb_mccaig
08-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I was one of the people graced with the opportunity to eat at Fat Ho Burgers in downtown Waco. Pretty overrated if you ask me.

Matthew328
08-28-2013, 01:55 PM
I was one of the people graced with the opportunity to eat at Fat Ho Burgers in downtown Waco. Pretty overrated if you ask me.

Fat HO Burger was pretty meh

Fuzzy's Tacos is one of the more oddly named chains out there...the fact that they specialize in the fish taco makes it even funnier

GrTigers6
08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Ate at a restaurant/bar on the beach at South Padre this summer called Wanna-Wanna. I just kept saying Yes!!!:cheerl::clap::2thumbsup:D

Matthew328
08-28-2013, 02:36 PM
The Koffee Kup Kafe (now renamed) was a tense place to drive by in Hico....for obvious reasons

caleb_mccaig
08-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Fat HO Burger was pretty meh

Fuzzy's Tacos is one of the more oddly named chains out there...the fact that they specialize in the fish taco makes it even funnier
I love Fuzzy's, we have one here in Stephenville. At least the food is good though!

Cam
08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Ate at a restaurant/bar on the beach at South Padre this summer called Wanna-Wanna. I just kept saying Yes!!!:cheerl::clap::2thumbsup:D

Ahh yes.....right on the beach!.....

Gsquared
08-28-2013, 02:55 PM
There used to be a bar (might be there still) between Newton and Orange on HWY 87 called the Bloody Bucket. Was always a bunch of muddy four wheel drives in the parking lot. Always wanted to go in there and order a Strawberry Swirl and see what happened.

GrTigers6
08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
There used to be a bar (might be there still) between Newton and Orange on HWY 87 called the Bloody Bucket. Was always a bunch of muddy four wheel drives in the parking lot. Always wanted to go in there and order a Strawberry Swirl and see what happened.

Might as well flatten some tires and kick over some bikes too while your at it. :D

caleb_mccaig
08-28-2013, 03:13 PM

I definitely want to go to this place and buy a shirt saying I survived.

Gsquared
08-28-2013, 03:13 PM
I definitely want to go to this place and buy a shirt saying I survived.

Yea and Seabass would corner me in the bathroom stall

GrTigers6
08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Yea and Seabass would corner me in the bathroom stall

:fnypost:

lv2937
08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
The green fly is not a bad place to eat.Its on the corner of 281 and 2657. 2657 is the road to Lake Victor.

Cam
08-28-2013, 08:21 PM
The green fly is not a bad place to eat.Its on the corner of 281 and 2657. 2657 is the road to Lake Victor.

How long have they been there?....I had never heard of it.....gotta check it out....

lv2937
08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
They opened up a couple of months ago. Some people from MF opened it up. I like it cause its close to the house. Only have to drive a mile to go out and eat.

Cam
08-28-2013, 08:40 PM
They opened up a couple of months ago. Some people from MF opened it up. I like it cause its close to the house. Only have to drive a mile to go out and eat.

Whoa Iv!.....Marble Falls folk opened it???......I'm afraid I can't come!.....like in Caddyshack:

Bishop: I really enjoy working with young people such as yourself down at our new Lutheran Center... Why don't you drop by sometime, eh?
Danny Noonan: I've often thought of entering the Priesthood.
Bishop: Oh, are you a Roman Catholic?
[Danny nods]
Bishop: Oh, then I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you can't come. ............:D

But seriously.....I'll have to check it out sometime.....

Lake Victor.....1 mile.....do I know you Iv?....Do you know me???

Bosqueville
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
The Koffee Kup Kafe (now renamed) was a tense place to drive by in Hico....for obvious reasons

Twirling Time
08-29-2013, 06:30 AM
I always thought In N Out Burger was funny.

I like In N Out.

hollywood
08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

They have good burgers and pie. I've had friends tell me the same thing.

What year did you graduate bosqueville?

Bosqueville
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
They have good burgers and pie. I've had friends tell me the same thing.

What year did you graduate bosqueville?
'91.. A long time ago.

coach
08-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Fairfield has a place called Something Diiferent. When asked where you want to eat and you say I dk. I want something different... That is sorta amusing

hollywood
08-29-2013, 09:36 AM
'91.. A long time ago.

LOL... yeah tell me about it. From where?

pancho villa
08-29-2013, 09:39 AM
I ate at "Dinko's" in Norman Oklahoma one time. It had a sign on the front that said, "Second worst place to eat in America" I waited in line to eat there. They only had two things on the menu. My Darling and my Darling with two lookin at ya. It was awful!!!

hollywood
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Two places in Bluff Dale, TX... Let's Eat and Wilfongs. Both are great and across the highway from each other. Open Thur-Sat.

Let's Eat is an old gas station converted into restaurant. Doesn't look like much of anything from the outside but the food is very good. A hippy chef from Dallas wanted to get out big D and started it a few years ago. He cooks on the other side of a half wall so he's very interactive with the guests. Offers samples as he's cooking. Great steaks. Also serves dishes a little off the standard menu you normally wouldn't see at restaurants. Get there early. It's not very big and usually open at 6:00 I think. BYOB or BYOW.

Wilfongs Cajun Cafe is a new place that I really like. It's rustic and actually is connected to the deer processing business next door and owned by the same girl. Kinda sounds weird but is awesome. Laid back and specialized in cajun cuisine... Oysters on the shell, Boiled shrimp, Budan, Crawfish Pie, etc... freakin' awesome. And made fresh, not frozen crap. It's also BYOB or BOYW. Great service and food. You'd think you were eating on the coast as fresh as the seafood is. Good stuff.

If you want a party after you eat, head down to the Greenwood Bar. You'd never think all this was there while passing through as tiny as Bluff Dale is. Bluff Dale is halfway between Stephenville and Granbury on HWY 377.

lv2937
08-29-2013, 11:01 AM
No I don't know you. I have been a member of this site for a long time.Think I,m the only one left from the per Magee and Shiply era.

regaleagle
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
There used to be this place over the causeway bridge in Corpus on your way to Padre Island, maybe technically in Flour Bluff, called CHICKEN OUT HAMBURGER INN. I always thought that to be a catchy name for a local Mom & Pop place. I think it's now under new ownership and a different name, probably with a different menu.

Tejastrue
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
This is in Johnson City on 281. I always thought the slogan was hilarious. "Nearly 3 Dozen Sold" The chicken fried steak is quite good.

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/hGxyWzSosDkLJih_e55khA/l.jpg

Cam
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
This is in Johnson City on 281. I always thought the slogan was hilarious. "Nearly 3 Dozen Sold" The chicken fried steak is quite good.

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/hGxyWzSosDkLJih_e55khA/l.jpg

Oh wow Tejastrue.....that place has a special meaning to me. It was the last time I ate with my father before his passing. We stopped there on our way home after my nephew's playoff game at the Alamodome. I remember dad was so hungry. You're right, the chicken fried steak is good!.....

regaleagle
08-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I"ve been meaning to stop in this place and try it out. I go by it all the time on my way to Austin. I hope the CFS is still good...sometimes they change cooks and its all in the know how.

Tejastrue
08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Glad I could help bring back some of those pleasant memories Cam. Regal..you are right about the cooks. Just never know. I will say I have also been there for the breakfast...traditional, eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast and it was excellent. It has been a couple of years though.. Just talking about it makes me want to go back.

Smitty
08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Two places in Bluff Dale, TX... Let's Eat and Wilfongs. Both are great and across the highway from each other. Open Thur-Sat.

Let's Eat is an old gas station converted into restaurant. Doesn't look like much of anything from the outside but the food is very good. A hippy chef from Dallas wanted to get out big D and started it a few years ago. He cooks on the other side of a half wall so he's very interactive with the guests. Offers samples as he's cooking. Great steaks. Also serves dishes a little off the standard menu you normally wouldn't see at restaurants. Get there early. It's not very big and usually open at 6:00 I think. BYOB or BYOW.

Wilfongs Cajun Cafe is a new place that I really like. It's rustic and actually is connected to the deer processing business next door and owned by the same girl. Kinda sounds weird but is awesome. Laid back and specialized in cajun cuisine... Oysters on the shell, Boiled shrimp, Budan, Crawfish Pie, etc... freakin' awesome. And made fresh, not frozen crap. It's also BYOB or BOYW. Great service and food. You'd think you were eating on the coast as fresh as the seafood is. Good stuff.

If you want a party after you eat, head down to the Greenwood Bar. You'd never think all this was there while passing through as tiny as Bluff Dale is. Bluff Dale is halfway between Stephenville and Granbury on HWY 377.

Come hungry to Wilfongs! Whole order of boiled shrimp is a big belly full! I agree this is a great place! All outside eating though, no AC!

refereedoc
08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
:iagree: Ate at Wilfong's a couple a weeks back, had crawfish pie and pecan crumb cheese cake. Now that I am typing about it I am ready to go back.

SHSBulldog00
08-30-2013, 12:30 PM
fuk mi
Sushi and Seafood Buffett in Clear Lake

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5084/4pim.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/4pim.jpg/)

Also Crapitto's in Houston

hollywood
08-30-2013, 12:43 PM
fuk mi
Sushi and Seafood Buffett in Clear Lake

:eek:

SHSBulldog00
08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
:eek:

I liked the seafood better than the sushi. I just can't eat raw fish.

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2013, 06:16 PM
I never ate there, but there used to be a place called No Teeth Barbeque.