PDA

View Full Version : Couple files lawsuit against Stephenville ISD

JBulldawg
08-27-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/

Emerson1
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Shouldn't have tried to bail on the school for a club team.

Matthew328
08-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Same parents who were causing issues at the July school board meeting

Matthew328
08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
http://beeanathlete.com/

44INAROW
08-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Another example of extremist helicopter parents. I hope the case is thrown out and the plaintiffs have to pay all the school district's incurred legal expenses. No, I don't have all the facts but filing a Federal case is not the answer.

Matthew328
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Another example of extremist helicopter parents. I hope the case is thrown out and the plaintiffs have to pay all the school district's incurred legal expenses. No, I don't have all the facts but filing a Federal case is not the answer.

to defend the parents they did at least try and address this at the school board meeting but my assumption is their concerns were not alleviated...so I'll give them credit for at least trying to get it done locally....the website lines out some of their issues...how much truth there is to those issues is another story though

YTBulldogs
08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Want the good quality uni's? Make varsity one day, and appreciate them. Girl's or boy's. Always been that way and always should be IMO.

Matthew328
08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Want the good quality uni's? Make varsity one day, and appreciate them. Girl's or boy's. Always been that way and always should be IMO.

But if the 8th grade football team got new unis and the girls teams didnt...that might be an issue if its an ongoing thing as well...if just some of whats listed on the website is true (which is a big if) plaintiffs seem to have justification for the suit...

YTBulldogs
08-27-2013, 04:19 PM
But if the 8th grade football team got new unis and the girls teams didnt...that might be an issue if its an ongoing thing as well...if just some of whats listed on the website is true (which is a big if) plaintiffs seem to have justification for the suit...

True. I don't know all the nuts and bolts. Most do it the way I mentioned. Least us with limited coin.

football8
08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Nothing on their website is an accurate depiction of how things actually are in the ville. The girls and boys programs are treated equally. If anything, we defer to the girls on more occasions than not. Remember when someone is accused of a crime or sued in a lawsuit, it is just an accusation. My middle child asked if you could sue somebody for that and I told him you can sue anybody for almost anything but that doesn't mean you can prove it and you can prevail. They sued the S.I.S.D. employees individually just to try and bolster their claim. I've got three kids in the program, both sexes, and I can say that I would not want my kids to go to school anywhere else in Texas, boy or girl.

Manso/V8
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I can't imagine that SISD would not encourage and support girls athletics in junior high.

These folks seem like major whiners.
The only worthwhile info on their website is admitting that they are Yankees.

I wonder how their daughter feels about her parent's actions?

hollywood
08-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Football 8, not even Brownwood? J/K

Ironically the couple suing doesn't live within the city limits and could actually choose a couple of other schools very near by for their girls to participate in. They're not native Texans who are accustom to how in Texas, HS football is very popular so their view is that football gets everything. Not true. It's ones families view that IMO is obserd and over dramatized to the point it's sad.

Matthew328
08-27-2013, 09:51 PM
A lot of smart folks in Stephenville I can't imagine them blatantly ignoring girls sports like what's being accused

football8
08-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Nobody in Stephenville is ignoring girls sports. We won a State Championship in Volleyball. You don't win State Championships in Girl's sports if you are ignoring them.

football8
08-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Not even Brownwood if I had free Underwood's every day Hollywood. Give me a double beef dinner rolls and cobbler though and I might consider it.

hookandladder
08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Shouldn't have tried to bail on the school for a club team.

Select Volleyball players that play on High School softball teams bail on their team just about every year at some time during the season, at least in 3A down schools. Just saying

vtskneb
08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
From what I have been told, what was not in compliance has been corrected. What is unreasonable will go to court. They just blanket filed the suit to include what was fixed. It will get thrown out and it will come down to whether the C team Volleyball team gets run out of the gym by A teamers that they can find games for or having tryouts to ween off those that can't compete at a high level. That last part is sad because Stephenville athletics for all its faults, was always very inclusive and encouraged participation, whether you were the waterboy or the star setter on a state team.

They are looking for their pound of flesh. Regardless they will have changed, for what I feel is for the worse, the participation culture that we have come to love in Stephenville. How many Juniors who are JVers stick with playing in other school districts? I can't imagine it is as high as it is in Stephenville. Or was...Cali has come to Texas boys and settled in Erath County.

hollywood
08-28-2013, 08:45 AM
From what I have been told, what was not in compliance has been corrected. What is unreasonable will go to court. They just blanket filed the suit to include what was fixed. It will get thrown out and it will come down to whether the C team Volleyball team gets run out of the gym by A teamers that they can find games for or having tryouts to ween off those that can't compete at a high level. That last part is sad because Stephenville athletics for all its faults, was always very inclusive and encouraged participation, whether you were the waterboy or the star setter on a state team.

They are looking for their pound of flesh. Regardless they will have changed, for what I feel is for the worse, the participation culture that we have come to love in Stephenville. How many Juniors who are JVers stick with playing in other school districts? I can't imagine it is as high as it is in Stephenville. Or was...Cali has come to Texas boys and settled in Erath County.

Yeah, it takes just one bad apple, or 2 in this case, to taint the bushel. Actually they are Cornhuskers. It doesn't matter where they're from, weird.

Manso/V8
08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Over the years, it has become pretty evident that participation numbers in 3A is critical for a strong athletic program, at least that has been the philosophy in Bellville. Apart from having a strong athletic program, participation is good for the kids. In both boys and girls sports, there are kids drop out to focus on one or two sports, focus on other interests like Ag, or work. We have had several kids who played JV football their junior year and started/contributed in a big way their senior year. One of senior DE's last year was on JV his junior year and is now playing college football on scholarship. The fact that Stephenville has a C team an below in junior high volleyball, indicates that they understand that and encourage participation, even by the less talented. Larger schools have tryouts and cut the team down to the chosen few. The no cut system, even if not perfect, is better for the kids and the school.

vtskneb
08-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, it takes just one bad apple, or 2 in this case, to taint the bushel. Actually they are Cornhuskers. It doesn't matter where they're from, weird.

Well, crap... I was told they were from out west. Got to watch those Cornhuskers.

Sville
08-28-2013, 09:44 AM
They must of made a massive document request for records through FOIA for en estimated $6900 charge, as someone who is well versed in FOIA request here are the requirements for charging,,

Texas Administrative Code

“Labor charge for locating, compiling, manipulating data, and reproducing public information.
(1) The charge for labor costs incurred in processing a request for public information is $15 an hour. The labor charge includes the actual time to locate, compile, manipulate data, and reproduce the requested information.
(2) A labor charge shall not be billed in connection with complying with requests that are for 50 or fewer pages of paper records, unless the documents to be copied are located in:
(A) Two or more separate buildings that are not physically connected with each other; or
(B) A remote storage facility.”

I am also in every SISD facility every year and inspect every square inch of every campus. The locker room complaint is unfounded IMO, they are more than adequate for both sides, of course football is going to have more room b/c they have more kids per team. Each football team is going to have 25-30 kids on it while each VB, BB, and whatever else girl sports you want to list are half that size.

For the record SISD and the community are lucky to have the character of people they have leading our athletic programs, IMHO.

But I also support someones right to redress their govt. for a perceived wrong whether I agree with it or not.

Benchwarmer
08-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Total horsehockey if you ask me. I'm not gonna put a lot of stuff out here in writing for those type of people to try and sue this board and the individuals on it. I will say the SISD can handle themselves, but to bring in the 2 individuals and sue them also is pathetic. Those 2 are 2 of the finest individuals employeed by the district and this is going to hurt them individually and professionally. If I we're them I would be in an attorneys office right now filing the biggest counterclaim and countersuit possible. There has been general talk that a fund will be established to help these 2 with attorneys fees if they do file a countersuit. Im not sure what part of that the district is legally able to pay for. I will keep the board members here updated.

Ive had boys and girls go thru the program and Ive have never see inequality in the SISD. Its just sad when you sit back and really read the articles and website to see people acting like this.

Sville
08-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree with you 100% BW on the suit and especially against the individuals. It was a total [insert adjective] move. There are very good people.

caleb_mccaig
08-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I work at the Empire-Tribune here in Stephenville and haven't been covering it specifically, but as stuff happens I'll be sure to let the people know on here. My editor is in constant contact with both sides.

hollywood
08-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Here's my take. From my limited observations, I've been around them some. Do not know them personally. So take it for what it's worth.

My daughter was invited to their place to play at their sand volleyball facility as were many kids have been. They live outside of town. Their focus is volleyball. They have 2 daughters. Not the "most" gifted athletes but I would say average to above average. My daughter and a few freinds went out to their place having never played organized volleyball and were winning games against teams their daughter was on and other teams that have been playing. The wife of the "couple" was encouraging of them while there but was also protective of her daughters and didn't invite them back. You see, they put so much focus on their kids being great volleyball players, they are missing the big picture.

Another encounter... myself and several family members were at an outdoor waterpark playing water volleyball... mostly teenagers and friends of my kids having a blast. Low and behold, this family showed up that plays volleyball. Well, being the good sports were are, we invited them to join in. So my daughter and friends and other family members played against several others there and the family. Well, we won pretty handliy. I know, it's just water volleyball and we were just having fun. Well guess what... the mom had excuse after excuse why they didn't win. We were just having fun and they were getting over the top competitive.

You catch my drift? A little case of trying to live through their kids it seems. Ironically, the parents just haven't really fit in. They come across very odd. And I'm not sure it's because they are stirring up the bee's nest so to speak or are just that way. I get the feeling they never were fulfilled athletically as kids and are trying to do whatever it takes to allow their kids the opportunities they (the parents) didn't get as kids. Could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

vtskneb
08-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Here's my take. From my limited observations, I've been around them some. Do not know them personally. So take it for what it's worth.

My daughter was invited to their place to play at their sand volleyball facility as were many kids have been. They live outside of town. Their focus is volleyball. They have 2 daughters. Not the "most" gifted athletes but I would say average to above average. My daughter and a few freinds went out to their place having never played organized volleyball and were winning games against teams their daughter was on and other teams that have been playing. The wife of the "couple" was encouraging of them while there but was also protective of her daughters and didn't invite them back. You see, they put so much focus on their kids being great volleyball players, they are missing the big picture.

Another encounter... myself and several family members were at an outdoor waterpark playing water volleyball... mostly teenagers and friends of my kids having a blast. Low and behold, this family showed up that plays volleyball. Well, being the good sports were are, we invited them to join in. So my daughter and friends and other family members played against several others there and the family. Well, we won pretty handliy. I know, it's just water volleyball and we were just having fun. Well guess what... the mom had excuse after excuse why they didn't win. We were just having fun and they were getting over the top competitive.

You catch my drift? A little case of trying to live through their kids it seems. Ironically, the parents just haven't really fit in. They come across very odd. And I'm not sure it's because they are stirring up the bee's nest so to speak or are just that way. I get the feeling they never were fulfilled athletically as kids and are trying to do whatever it takes to allow their kids the opportunities they (the parents) didn't get as kids. Could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I don't know them from Adam. What I do know about them is they just assumed everyone else with daughters on the same C & D teams would feel the same as they do and expected everyone to jump to their aid. As I stated before, SISD is not above reproach. It is however giving everyone a chance to play the sport they WANT to play. No one makes them play and no one in the School District can magically make them an A team type athlete. The student athlete can CHOOSE to work their tail off and maybe they become good enough/maybe not. The parts of the suit that have been corrected will get spit out and the parts that are unfeasible will either effect how teams are made up in Stephenville or they will have to blame the surrounding communities for lack of having C & D team volleyball teams. The total tone of their website speaks to their maturity.

Based on what I have read on there, they are clearly more qualified to run a school district than those elected and appointed. I say they run for office!

Deuce
08-28-2013, 11:30 AM

This tells me all I need to know!

hookandladder
08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
They should fine a Little League team to play on, then their Daddy could coach and both would make the All Star team.

Cam
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM

....they could also be aliens!!.....:eek:

defense51
08-28-2013, 12:42 PM
....they could also be aliens!!.....:eek:

Finally a clear cut answer to all this!

hollywood
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND! :eek:

Cam
08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND! :eek:

I once had a close encounter of the 22nd kind, That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind!.........but seriously....no really, seriously...I think I know these people......met em' at a volleyball tourny....after bout an hour of conversation, the lady winked at me and said, "Have you ever had a close encounter of the 69th kind?"........I ran out of that gym really quick, went home, and went to bed still shaking!.......:eek:

bobcat1
08-28-2013, 01:39 PM
And the kids pay for the parents idiocy. They also will always be dependent on Mommy and Daddy to bail them out. I know. I made that helicopter parent mistake. I have since learned from it and made him fly on his own. His decisions lead to his consequences not mine. Life ain't fair Mommy and Daddy, never will be. Kids need to know that.