PDA

View Full Version : Llano @ Wimberley

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Friday 7:30

Jackets gave the Texans a big scare last year.

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Padilla has the Texans by 19.

Snotbubbles
08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
WT home field advantage. 21-20 Texans.

Cam
08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Have not seen Llano this year...they have some players. Seen Wimberley. Gotta go with the Texans at home....they will win the game late....

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Wimberley by 1 or 21 makes no difference. Okay..it just might make a difference to my heart. Go Texans!!

ogg
08-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Wimberley's the windshield and Llano's the. . . . . well, wasp in this game. Texan's by 10 in a whacky 4th.

Manso/V8
08-26-2013, 12:20 AM
The voting swing seems like a homer poll.
Llano has better bbq, but the football is usually better in Wimberley.

rb585
08-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Padilla has the Texans by 19.

I'll take Wimberley, but that line seems awfully big.

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I had the same thought.

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM
The voting swing seems like a homer poll.
Llano has better bbq, but the football is usually better in Wimberley.

Would you like for the votes to be made public Manso? We can do that next time if it bothers you that much. :D

buff4ever
08-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I think wimberley wins this game with back-ups in the game late in the forth.

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Thought I would post this video of Llano's QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUshTW3VuE

YTBulldogs
08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Good looking QB. Poised in pocket, and know's when to vacate it. Throw's a good timing pass too. Should be a very good game.

Gone Fishing
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Pretty good video , we will be tested for sure. Hope snaxet is right about our DB's.... I wonder how many of those receivers that were making some of those great catches are back this year?

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
At least 3 WR's returning GF. Hutto #11 being the main target.

Found this interesting...

http://llanoplaytowin.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/2013-football-season-wimberley-is-up/

Gone Fishing
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
At least 3 WR's returning GF. Hutto #11 being the main target.

Found this interesting...

http://llanoplaytowin.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/2013-football-season-wimberley-is-up/

Interesting indeed!! Sounds like a good running back too. People always say Llano just doesn't have the numbers, but look at Navarro, they have way less numbers and they are always good. Its all about coaches and their programs they install that makes winning. Sounds like the new coach in Llano is a good one. I'm starting to get excited, I think it is going to be a great game with the Texans winning a track meet late. I was 8 and 4 last year on my picks by the way... LOL.

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
8-4..wait..what?? :spitlol:

Tejastrue
08-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Just a refresher from last year. Hey GF..I guess Rabb did start this game. Im sure they are chewing at the bit for the upset, especially at our house.

http://www.llanonews.com/news/103518/

ogg
08-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Thought I was watching Garrett Gilbert for a minute; looks, throws and runs like him.

ogg
08-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Just a refresher from last year. Hey GF..I guess Rabb did start this game. Im sure they are chewing at the bit for the upset, especially at our house.

http://www.llanonews.com/news/103518/

Llano has a much improved offense thanks to their new coach, but:
I remember that WT being very out of sync in that game, , ,in a lot of areas. Injuries like Jones the qb & safety, Cerday’s varsity debut, turnovers, OL, receivers on and on. IMO this is what really kept Llano in the game to the end. I’m thinking we will have a better showing this year. Also, the Jackets need to worry about their defense, has that improved from last year?

Tejastrue
08-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I think we all were baffled how that game played out. I think the guys came in a bit overconfident and were taken by surprise at how aggressive Llano played. The realization was, they (Texans) were not as good as the previous years' team.
As I said before I think the Burnet scrimmage was the best thing for us. We shall see. As far as Llano's defense..we have very little to go by. Seems you can't find a stat on the team anywhere. The link is from their first scrimmage. I'll just say they will need to be very good come Friday.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/22/llano-football-team-looks-sharp-during-scrimmage-against-early-canyon-lake/

Snotbubbles
08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Llano has a much improved offense thanks to their new coach, but:
I remember that WT being very out of sync in that game, , ,in a lot of areas. Injuries like Jones the qb & safety, Cerday’s varsity debut, turnovers, OL, receivers on and on. IMO this is what really kept Llano in the game to the end. I’m thinking we will have a better showing this year. Also, the Jackets need to worry about their defense, has that improved from last year?

I seen some of the Floresville scrimmage, and--I didn't think I was looking at a Wimberley Texan team. Least a Nelms guided Texan team. I'm aware the new HC is from within, but---don't fool yourself, losing the master will have some draw back. I seen it in this scrimmage already. #2 (least his scrimmage#) WR was getting frustrated it appeared not getting a deep pass thrown to him. The old bread and butter screens were not successful to Texan standards. Yeah, it was just a scrimmage, and I agree mostly, ---but, I know they played 7 on 7, and they should be able to execute a middle screen and outside bubble screens in their sleep.

Reading these post's, I can tell some clearly have not seen WT play yet, minus Nelms on the sideline. Or, there would be some concern being noted by some backers. I have you winning this game barely, but--I would not be surprised if you got beat bad either. Other than 110,000'ish reasons, a cheap house payment, vehicle allowance, etc---I think Nelms knew something about this year's Texan team, when making up his mind to depart. Say what you want, but seeing them play 7 on 7 and this Floresville scrimmage, it's not the same appearance and operation there in Texanland as in the past several years.

Might add, it happens more often than not. Just moving a coach to HC from within, don't automatically carry over the success the prior HC had. Nelms is good for a reason. The system don't run by itself, and just plugging the opening don't mean it will continue right on down the track either.

ogg
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I seen some of the Floresville scrimmage, and--I didn't think I was looking at a Wimberley Texan team. Least a Nelms guided Texan team. I'm aware the new HC is from within, but---don't fool yourself, losing the master will have some draw back. I seen it in this scrimmage already. #2 (least his scrimmage#) WR was getting frustrated it appeared not getting a deep pass thrown to him. The old bread and butter screens were not successful to Texan standards. Yeah, it was just a scrimmage, and I agree mostly, ---but, I know they played 7 on 7, and they should be able to execute a middle screen and outside bubble screens in their sleep.

Reading these post's, I can tell some clearly have not seen WT play yet, minus Nelms on the sideline. Or, there would be some concern being noted by some backers. I have you winning this game barely, but--I would not be surprised if you got beat bad either. Other than 110,000'ish reasons, a cheap house payment, vehicle allowance, etc---I think Nelms knew something about this year's Texan team, when making up his mind to depart. Say what you want, but seeing them play 7 on 7 and this Floresville scrimmage, it's not the same appearance and operation there in Texanland as in the past several years.

Might add, it happens more often than not. Just moving a coach to HC from within, don't automatically carry over the success the prior HC had. Nelms is good for a reason. The system don't run by itself, and just plugging the opening don't mean it will continue right on down the track either.

You’re right bubbles; this begins a new chapter in WT football not to mention the entire athletic department. Not only did we lose one of the best head coaches in the state but also lost our defensive coordinator Smith. Fine coaches and great team motivators as well, big loss. We’ll have to see how this all plays out in our predistrict games. As I noted above, we had a frustrating game in Llano last year even with Nelms/Smith there. . . . .I think we'll improve.

Tejastrue
08-27-2013, 02:36 PM
That's amusing SB. Nobody here has said that our new HC is a Coach Nelms or even Coach Smith. There are very few out there that are on their level IMO. I don't think anyone can say that he will never be though. Only time will tell but one thing is for sure...we are here..we support our coaches...we support the Texans..we support the community. I think I can safely say that we as Wimberley fans, are not at a level to where we think we are a juggernaut or there will never be down years or sub-par seasons.

I will end this by saying every team out there is undefeated at this point. Each young man, coach and supporter are out there filled with hope and aspirations for the season and anything can happen. We are in the mix until proven otherwise. We are not fair weather fans. We will be there at the beginning and the end supporting these young men and the coaching staff.

Snotbubbles
08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
We will be there at the beginning and the end supporting these young men and the coaching staff.

As you all backers should be. Didn't say anything about anyone being negative towards the new coaches either. Tough shoes to fill for sure. I was just pointing out, often a system is not the same when "The Man" is no longer at those controls of a system. And, those who have seen the Texans in person, can surely see the difference on both sides of the ball. Over a few seasons, I'm sure the newbies will get their handle on things, have the kid's do it their way, and we can see a deep run as before from WT.

For the record, I have moved from the eastside of SA a month ago and the Black Gold Industry has brought me to a now, 4A community. LOL. Well, really in the country. Closet 3A school is LaVernia.

Tejastrue
08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Fair enough SB. I tend to get a little dramatic sometimes. LaVernia huh..does this mean we'll have a another Bear fan on here to trade barbs with this year?

Snotbubbles
08-27-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm sure I'll see a few games there at Bear Stadium. Like to see Canyon Lake/LV matchup. Catch Gonsalez a night or two as well. I have business out that way most Friday's already now. I see all levels during a course of a season really.

Gone Fishing
08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Hum... yes, yes, yes and yes... You must be a big wig in that "black gold" industry going on to come up with that one, college and all. Oh by the way, I can think of somewhere around 100 games I'd (personally) rather see than a CL/LV game....Just saying. Also, we all know, around here, anyway. "Nelms Knows" You KIdding!

snaxet
08-27-2013, 08:42 PM
SB I would have to say that, of course, we do not expect this to be a Nelms type team. I feel that come Friday night you will really get a chance to see some of the subtle changes that will make this Coach Warren's team. The thing that you probably aren't aware of is that Coach Nelms gave a lot of leeway to his coaches and they were all involved in establishing the game plan and making adjustments at halftime. I am hopeful and get the feeling that this will not change. The big difference, however, will come with adjustments during the game. That is where Nelms was a master mind. He could watch a game from the sidelines and make decisions that turned out to be the difference maker. I am optimistic that Coach Warren will do a few things differently; like speed the game up, get the plays in quicker, stunt more, run more misdirection, utilize the tight end more and protect the back side. It will be an interesting night and I look forward to seeing Coach Warren's debut. No Coach Nelms did not leave because he was concerned about the Texans. Those of us who know Coach Nelms know that is not the case. Don't read anything into the Floresville scrimmage or the Burnet scrimmage. It all starts Friday night and Llano will be a good test for us.

Mojo84
08-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I think without Nelms and Smith Wimberley will be nothing more than a vast football wasteland. You all should dismantle the football program altogether. While you are at it, send those unneeded athletes to Boerne.

I have a feeling they'll muster up a football team and will get out there and compete on Friday nights even with the coach they are stuck with.

Tejastrue
08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
LOL Mojo..I kind of figured the rest of the Wimberley folk would jump in on this but not a Boerne guy. We appreciate you.

How's your QB coming around. Has he fully recovered?

Snotbubbles
08-28-2013, 07:56 AM
I can think of somewhere around 100 games I'd (personally) rather see than a CL/LV game....Just saying.

Safety meeting that day till 6PM GF. Can't really travel too far. So, this game will have to do. Plus, Bo is an old friend. Didn't mean to fire ya'll up, just pointing out the Texans don't look like the Texans I've seen last couple years, and they shouldn't, cause they're not. I'm sure they'll get things lined out over time. Changes are often difficult and Warren is really in a no win situation. Hope he get's the chance to get his game plan in place there? And the natives don't get upset over the bumps that's ahead of them. I like how snaxet is getting his point across to the new man, without making it sound like he isn't. Poor guy probably can't leave the house without getting advice.

"I am optimistic that Coach Warren will do a few things differently; like speed the game up, get the plays in quicker, stunt more, run more misdirection, utilize the tight end more and protect the back side."--snaxet

I'm sure he's getting alot of that backseat coaching currently over there as he head's down the gravel path to the field.:dispntd:

snaxet
08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Safety meeting that day till 6PM GF. Can't really travel too far. So, this game will have to do. Plus, Bo is an old friend. Didn't mean to fire ya'll up, just pointing out the Texans don't look like the Texans I've seen last couple years, and they shouldn't, cause they're not. I'm sure they'll get things lined out over time. Changes are often difficult and Warren is really in a no win situation. Hope he get's the chance to get his game plan in place there? And the natives don't get upset over the bumps that's ahead of them. I like how snaxet is getting his point across to the new man, without making it sound like he isn't. Poor guy probably can't leave the house without getting advice.

"I am optimistic that Coach Warren will do a few things differently; like speed the game up, get the plays in quicker, stunt more, run more misdirection, utilize the tight end more and protect the back side."--snaxet

I'm sure he's getting alot of that backseat coaching currently over there as he head's down the gravel path to the field.:dispntd:

SB, you don't have a clue. I am not backseat coaching. I have been in the front seat since Nelms was here in the nineties. Much of the Texan play book is a result of plays passed over to the press box coaches by a couple of us on the top row. Now I know that Coach Nelms has taken many of those plays to Weatherford but Coach Warren has assured me that he will continue to rely on many of them. LOL we have a special relationship with our coaches. We don't just look at them as coaches but our friends as well. We support them no matter what takes place. Come Friday night we already have a few plays drawn up on used and crumpled up paper napkins ready to pass over to Coach Warren as he heads down that gravel road to the field. Can't wait to see how we'll they work.

Turin
08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
SB, you don't have a clue. I am not backseat coaching. I have been in the front seat since Nelms was here in the nineties. Much of the Texan play book is a result of plays passed over to the press box coaches by a couple of us on the top row. Now I know that Coach Nelms has taken many of those plays to Weatherford but Coach Warren has assured me that he will continue to rely on many of them. LOL we have a special relationship with our coaches. We don't just look at them as coaches but our friends as well. We support them no matter what takes place. Come Friday night we already have a few plays drawn up on used and crumpled up paper napkins ready to pass over to Coach Warren as he heads down that gravel road to the field. Can't wait to see how we'll they work.

Do you pass over defensive schemes also or just offense?

YTBulldogs
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM

O'my, not the good old boys, the "top rowers". Good luck Coach Warren.:doh: I'm sure he and his staff are capable. Crumpled napkins, for real?

Cam
08-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Spoke to a Llano homer today......said Wimberley is in big trouble come Friday night!.....I told him about the Low and to come join us and start a ruckus with you Wimberley folk........I'm stayin' out of it.......

ogg
08-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Spoke to a Llano homer today......said Wimberley is in big trouble come Friday night!.....I told him about the Low and to come join us and start a ruckus with you Wimberley folk........I'm stayin' out of it.......

Funny, I was just thinking how underrated Fredericksburg is.

Gone Fishing
08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm sure he's getting alot of that backseat coaching currently over there as he head's down the gravel path to the field.

Dang Snot, You must know a lot about the area between Carney Lane and Texan Lane. "the gravel path". Maybe you played here or know some that have, but the path is for players not coaches and only on practice days , so I doubt his head is down walking the path to the field. LOL I always park on Carney for games even though I get there before the gates open ( I like warm ups ) and could park much closer. I remember the " walk down Carney" by coach Smith every time, heading to the game locker room. I was always in my truck that early and he would be in a trance! looked like he was sleep walking. Best 3A DC I know. I have said in many post above about my thoughts on coach nelms. Two other really good coaches went with him too. But he also has many from his teachings right here. And they are good, very good. Half of them have been here long enough to have coached my son and he is graduated. Warren is one of them. He has waited a long time to get this opportunity. He and many others over here (after 2 championships and much success) could have easily had a head coaching job for years, but maybe did'nt want that crappy 1 or 2A job out in BFE and stayed here learning from one of the best. They have waited and learned and are older asst's and now an older first time head coach. YOU Saying earlier that Nelms left maybe cause he knew the talent pool was bad, that really pisses me off. He left for Weatherford who sucks so bad its not even funny. They have had no pool for years. His family is from all around there and what the hell, 5A school , one more program to build before he is done. I understand perfectly why he went. Will WT's have some adjustment years? Duh!! Dont insult our football knowledge Snot!!! We know all about the transition coming. By the way, we are not moving to Weatherford, Nelms is gone and we are going to support the next head coach and kids here. And I'll go on record right now and say Warren will do very good over the next 5 years.

Tejastrue
08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Okay Cam..there you go starting trouble again. You know we would welcome him aboard and even console him after Friday's game. :D

Cam
08-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Funny, I was just thinking how underrated Fredericksburg is.

....they are always underrated...but I guarantee you they'll put up a fight!......The Dawgs will be on their turf!....

Cam
08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Okay Cam..there you go starting trouble again. You know we would welcome him aboard and even console him after Friday's game. :D

not tryin' to start trouble...just some dude I ran into in line at HEB....He had a Jacket cap on so I had to probe a little......I doubt he'll show up on the Low......He said he wasn't computer literate and couldn't spell too good!......I told him he'd fit right in!!......:doh:

rb585
08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm sure he's getting alot of that backseat coaching currently over there as he head's down the gravel path to the field.

Dang Snot, You must know a lot about the area between Carney Lane and Texan Lane. "the gravel path". Maybe you played here or know some that have, but the path is for players not coaches and only on practice days , so I doubt his head is down walking the path to the field. LOL I always park on Carney for games even though I get there before the gates open ( I like warm ups ) and could park much closer. I remember the " walk down Carney" by coach Smith every time, heading to the game locker room. I was always in my truck that early and he would be in a trance! looked like he was sleep walking. Best 3A DC I know. I have said in many post above about my thoughts on coach nelms. Two other really good coaches went with him too. But he also has many from his teachings right here. And they are good, very good. Half of them have been here long enough to have coached my son and he is graduated. Warren is one of them. He has waited a long time to get this opportunity. He and many others over here (after 2 championships and much success) could have easily had a head coaching job for years, but maybe did'nt want that crappy 1 or 2A job out in BFE and stayed here learning from one of the best. They have waited and learned and are older asst's and now an older first time head coach. YOU Saying earlier that Nelms left maybe cause he knew the talent pool was bad, that really pisses me off. He left for Weatherford who sucks so bad its not even funny. They have had no pool for years. His family is from all around there and what the hell, 5A school , one more program to build before he is done. I understand perfectly why he went. Will WT's have some adjustment years? Duh!! Dont insult our football knowledge Snot!!! We know all about the transition coming. By the way, we are not moving to Weatherford, Nelms is gone and we are going to support the next head coach and kids here. And I'll go on record right now and say Warren will do very good over the next 5 years.

All of this.

Also, I'm more worried about replacing Dick Smith than replacing Nelms.

panfan
08-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Texans take this one by 10 - home field advantage, and while Llano last season had some big old boys last year, some of who might be returning, eventually they tired out and I'll assume that will occur again this year. Texans are always super preparred and I expect, regardless of coaching change, they will be ready to go.

Tejastrue
08-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Anyone make the Freshman/JV games this evening?

Tejastrue
08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Short article on Llano's RB including the writer's ignorance about the Texans' record from last year..

http://www.llanocj.com/news_article.php?category_id=3/8&article_id=5321

catfish
08-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I hope everyone in Wimberley remembers, that pre district games are just like professional pre season games.Yes,you want to win the games,but the main goal is to improve weekly and have the team healthy and playing well when district play comes.Two of the teams Wimberley lost to last year in pre district games did not make the playoffs....Coach Warren is a really good coach,and knows he has big shoes to fill,but he has put together a fine staff and given
time,I think he and his staff will show the Wimberley faithful that they have made the right decision about hiring him....GO TEXANS!!

Tejastrue
08-30-2013, 01:39 PM
catfish has spoken so I believe all of last years' posters are accounted for...looking forward to the game tonight and the Wimberley Texans post Nelms era. Best of luck to Coach Warren and staff..this is all yours now.

Gone Fishing
08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
As I said several times I think Texans might have a little more talent than last year or maybe a little more depth too, but I just can't get a feel for predicting records and such. Last year we had several solid players left over from the championship team and that helped in the leadership role, but we had to play many first time soph and Jr players and frankly most were not ready yet and had the old deer in the headlights look many times. With that said they all got that year under their belt and should be way better now because of it. Who might step up and can be the vocal leaders on this team is a big question and very important. You got to have that, in the locker room, the sidelines, on the field and even away from the field. The whole team has to know who those leaders are and feed off them. Guess we will have much more to go by after tonight. Llano will be a very good test, no doubt. Go Texans.....

ogg
08-30-2013, 02:30 PM
We'll be improved this year. Lets take care of business, Go Texans!

Tejastrue
08-30-2013, 10:52 PM
31-14 Wimberley. I was not there but listened online and that was very difficult..mainly because of the feed but also the new guy. I think he was part of the Bellvile / Port Isabel playoff broadcast team last year. lol

rb585
08-30-2013, 11:17 PM
You didn't miss much, especially the second half. Llano looked absolutely terrible. Cerday played very well. Our running game was very inconsistent. Defense put up some good numbers, but not sure how much of that was due to Llano's ineptness. We have a frightening lack of depth of the lines, and Jackson King got hurt, so that's a bigger concern now.

Tejastrue
08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
I hear you but I believe the stats will bear out a different scenario. Until tomorrow...

ogg
08-31-2013, 12:30 AM
I hear you but I believe the stats will bear out a different scenario. Until tomorrow...

http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=7264&Season=2013

Team played great, aside from several miscues and penalties you would have loved it Tejas. Played ball/clock control in second half, fairly standard.

zebrablue2
08-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Congrats Texans, hope y'all have a good yr..

rb585
08-31-2013, 12:56 AM

It was a weird game. Cerday was the offense in the first half. The rushing stats will probably look good in the second half, but we had a ridiculous number of holding calls, and we were getting good yardage on 1st and 2nd and 20s. That might be the most penalized game I've ever seen.

Here's what summed up Llano... 1st and goal inside the 10, and their 6'5" QB keeps it and dives into the end zone, but they make him down a couple of inches short. The next play, 2nd and goal at the 6-inch line...wait for it...they line up in he shotgun, and the center snaps it over the QB's head.

wimbo_pro
08-31-2013, 10:42 AM
It's always good to dispatch Llano in a solid fashion. Does the Texans good!

Tejastrue
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM
It was a weird game. Cerday was the offense in the first half. The rushing stats will probably look good in the second half, but we had a ridiculous number of holding calls, and we were getting good yardage on 1st and 2nd and 20s. That might be the most penalized game I've ever seen.

Here's what summed up Llano... 1st and goal inside the 10, and their 6'5" QB keeps it and dives into the end zone, but they make him down a couple of inches short. The next play, 2nd and goal at the 6-inch line...wait for it...they line up in he shotgun, and the center snaps it over the QB's head.

Yeah..I recall that series.. the broadcasters said they called his knee down..sound familiar? lol and how in the heck do you snap the ball over someone 6'5". I liked the fact that Warren stuck to rushing the ball the whole game. It paid dividends in the 2nd half in spite of the penalties. I sure hope King is okay. Any news today?

Tejastrue
08-31-2013, 02:22 PM
It's always good to dispatch Llano in a solid fashion. Does the Texans good!

Really..is that all you have to say? :wave:

Tejastrue
08-31-2013, 02:40 PM
http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=7264&Season=2013

Team played great, aside from several miscues and penalties you would have loved it Tejas. Played ball/clock control in second half, fairly standard.

I think we all figured Rabb would complete some passes and get his yards. I was thinking if we held him around 200 we would be just fine. Did not realize they would need him every down. No ground game at all. I know they had a couple of big plays but overall but how did the secondary look. The 2 ints were huge.

Gone Fishing
08-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Here is my take on last night. A win is a win and I'm glad for that. The game was played poorly by both teams, IMO, but somewhat expected with first games. Wimberley was the better team. The old "what if's" factor come to mind for me. What if #54 who is a back up and if he wasn't standing there at the right place at the right time when the bad screen pass came his way and he took it in for a TD and what if they gave the Llano QB the TD on his run to the 6" line (he got in by the way) and they scored. Then possibly a tie game, while we were shooting our self in the foot every other play in the second half... Hum... Their QB was suppose to be really good and wasn't bad (weird throwing motion for a tall guy) But his receivers had MANY numerous drops and some were drive changers for them that helped NOT make our DB's look so bad. But he still put up good numbers despite all that, so that worries me about our secondary. Although ,I thought DB's were ok at times, but missed some key tackles when they had to be made. (by the safeties mostly). Our QB and RB's will get better with time no doubt and our receivers played well. (no drops, good routes and some good down field blocking) Now-- Our OL was just horrible! They must get better for the long term success. But, I know they will because Coach Sauce always has a knack for getting the best and most out of what he has, even if it means pissing off a daddy or two because their kid is on the sidelines. I love that about him!!! The DL and all the LB's were the BOSS! Very good job by those coaches getting those boys ready! Negative rushing yards for Llano!!!! How many times does that happen in any game or year? Giddings will be good, fast, and they beat Liberty Hill. It will be a greater test than this week and I can't wait to see how the Texans improve. The coaches look to be doing great. I love that we are not waiting and waiting and waiting for a damn play to get called in !! No wrist bands either !! Also, Congrats to Coach Warren on his first win of many more to come......

rb585
08-31-2013, 07:31 PM
I think I agree with all of that GF, especially about getting the play in.

The only other thing I didn't like was the numbers on the new uniforms -- too hard to read, especially hard to tell the 5s and 6s apart.

monkey rolls
08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Here is my take on last night. A win is a win and I'm glad for that. The game was played poorly by both teams, IMO, but somewhat expected with first games. Wimberley was the better team. The old "what if's" factor come to mind for me. What if #54 who is a back up and if he wasn't standing there at the right place at the right time when the bad screen pass came his way and he took it in for a TD and what if they gave the Llano QB the TD on his run to the 6" line (he got in by the way) and they scored. Then possibly a tie game, while we were shooting our self in the foot every other play in the second half... Hum... Their QB was suppose to be really good and wasn't bad (weird throwing motion for a tall guy) But his receivers had MANY numerous drops and some were drive changers for them that helped NOT make our DB's look so bad. But he still put up good numbers despite all that, so that worries me about our secondary. Although ,I thought DB's were ok at times, but missed some key tackles when they had to be made. (by the safeties mostly). Our QB and RB's will get better with time no doubt and our receivers played well. (no drops, good routes and some good down field blocking) Now-- Our OL was just horrible! They must get better for the long term success. But, I know they will because Coach Sauce always has a knack for getting the best and most out of what he has, even if it means pissing off a daddy or two because their kid is on the sidelines. I love that about him!!! The DL and all the LB's were the BOSS! Very good job by those coaches getting those boys ready! Negative rushing yards for Llano!!!! How many times does that happen in any game or year? Giddings will be good, fast, and they beat Liberty Hill. It will be a greater test than this week and I can't wait to see how the Texans improve. The coaches look to be doing great. I love that we are not waiting and waiting and waiting for a damn play to get called in !! No wrist bands either !! Also, Congrats to Coach Warren on his first win of many more to come......
It was no accident that 54 picked the screen... I watched them work on that very play on Tuesday. Give the kids credit.. They executed what they practiced. Get on or get off.. But don't discount what a kid does in a game. You didn't like people to discredit the team when your boy was playing either.

Tejastrue
08-31-2013, 10:36 PM
So what was your take on the game MR?

snaxet
09-01-2013, 01:21 AM
I agree with Gone Fishing. The offensive line is going to require a lot of work, but depth of lineman may be a bigger issue. Once Jackson went out at center we could not sustain a drive because we were unable to get a consistent snap from center. Also I thought the holding calls in second half were directly a result of a lack of conditioning. I also thought we came out after half a little too lackadaisical and did not have the mindset to put the game away. One good drive and a score early in the third quarter would have ended the game. But mistakes, penalties and sloppy play really hurt us. Nevertheless, the second quarter was outstanding on both sides of the ball for the Texans. Now if we can duplicate that for four quarters, we will be just fine. It was also good to see the up tempo play and our run game was much improved despite the lack of consistent play from the offensive line. With respect to the secondary, it is not often that we will face a 6 ft 5" and 6' 3" receivers. They were making it tough on us until coaches made adjustments to double team both the tall receivers and force Rabb to throw the ball to number 12. He struggled with catching the ball and that made a big difference. Overall, a good win and a good start for Coach Warren, his coaches and the team. Giddings will be a much better test for us. Looking forward to making trip to Giddings Friday.

Gone Fishing
09-01-2013, 08:14 AM
It was no accident that 54 picked the screen... I watched them work on that very play on Tuesday. Give the kids credit.. They executed what they practiced. Get on or get off.. But don't discount what a kid does in a game. You didn't like people to discredit the team when your boy was playing either.

On, always have been..... I love Stevie and I was so happy to see them put him on varsity. I think he will contribute all year. My point was not a discard it was just a "what if's'". The game could have been tied with out those two plays. Good for us they both went our way or we could have been in trouble the way the O stumbled in the second half. Like snaxet said one good drive coming out in the second half would have put the game away. We scored a field goal at the end.

Tejastrue
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
This is why I hate not being there because the game was portrayed juuuust a little different on the air. We had 200 yds rushing and nearly the same passing. Pretty balanced attack yet we looked horrible. I also find it hard to believe a Texan coached team having a lack of conditioning. I'm not trying to or going to debate this..just sharing an opinion. It sounds like we had a lot of brights spots and a lot to work on (unless you are in La Grange:wave:) and I'm also looking forward to the Giddings game. Maybe we can return the favor from last year.

Thought all the Texan fans have spoken this year but realized Sportshack is nowhere to be found. Maybe he'll show up soon. Go Texans.

Gone Fishing
09-01-2013, 01:09 PM
This is why I hate not being there because the game was portrayed juuuust a little different on the air. We had 200 yds rushing and nearly the same passing. Pretty balanced attack yet we looked horrible. I also find it hard to believe a Texan coached team having a lack of conditioning. I'm not trying to or going to debate this..just sharing an opinion. It sounds like we had a lot of brights spots and a lot to work on (unless you are in La Grange:wave:) and I'm also looking forward to the Giddings game. Maybe we can return the favor from last year.

Thought all the Texan fans have spoken this year but realized Sportshack is nowhere to be found. Maybe he'll show up soon. Go Texans.

Wimberley looked ok good for first game Tejas. We were the better team... Giddings better be ready for sure.

Sportshack and you forgot HSFB too.... I haven't seen either one in a long time.

snaxet
09-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Tejas, didn't want you to get the wrong idea about the lack of conditioning. They do the same as any other Texan team regarding conditioning and we all know that a strength for Wimberley teams has been their ability to stay strong to the end. It just appeared that the lineman were struggling with the heat in the fourth quarter. The heat was brutal, and both teams were spent by the end of the game. I think that is probably why we ran as much in the second half so that we could keep the clock rolling and get out of the heat as soon as possible. I was really excited about our running attack and when Colton was on track during that stretch in the second quarter, I would say the same for our passing. We have a lot of weapons and Gone Fishing is right - we were clearly the better team.

Tejastrue
09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Wimberley looked ok good for first game Tejas. We were the better team... Giddings better be ready for sure.

Sportshack and you forgot HSFB too.... I haven't seen either one in a long time.

Dang..forgot about HSFB too..we do have a a lot of Wimberley wackos on here.

Tejas, didn't want you to get the wrong idea about the lack of conditioning. They do the same as any other Texan team regarding conditioning and we all know that a strength for Wimberley teams has been their ability to stay strong to the end. It just appeared that the lineman were struggling with the heat in the fourth quarter. The heat was brutal, and both teams were spent by the end of the game. I think that is probably why we ran as much in the second half so that we could keep the clock rolling and get out of the heat as soon as possible. I was really excited about our running attack and when Colton was on track during that stretch in the second quarter, I would say the same for our passing. We have a lot of weapons and Gone Fishing is right - we were clearly the better team.

Understand snaxet...and brutal was the best way to describe the heat. Looks like it will be the same for next Friday. I just appreciate you guys taking the time to explain what you observed and getting the different perspectives. Hopefully I'll make it to the Giddings game. Should be a good one.

ogg
09-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Some down field blocking would be nice as well.

jackofalltrades
09-02-2013, 09:16 AM
with the Texans having many impact players graduating last year and so many young guys now having to step up, combined with the coaching staff changes, all in all i thought it was a pretty impressive win. also Llano's first TD, the long catch and run, should not have happened so that was a gift.