PDA

View Full Version : Marble Falls @ La Grange

Pudlugger
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Can the Leopards stop the phenomenal WR Grey and control the ball against Coach Dodge's 2013 Mustangs when they come to town Friday night? The Mustang's had a prolific offense last year but a defense that gave up 40+ points per game. With only 2 returning starters on defense will they be able to stop the Lep running game? Ball control and a stout pass rush will be keys to a Leopard win but if they can't keep the Mustang offense on the bench they will have an uphill battle. Home field advantage (with the 3 hour drive from MF) plus the experienced Lep o line paving the way for our fast and physical backfield should prove decisive. Leps by 14.

Cam
08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Can the Leopards stop the phenomenal WR Grey and control the ball against Coach Dodge's 2013 Mustangs when they come to town Friday night? The Mustang's had a prolific offense last year but a defense that gave up 40+ points per game. With only 2 returning starters on defense will they be able to stop the Lep running game? Ball control and a stout pass rush will be keys to a Leopard win but if they can't keep the Mustang offense on the bench they will have an uphill battle. Home field advantage (with the 3 hour drive from MF) plus the experienced Lep o line paving the way for our fast and physical backfield should prove decisive. Leps by 14.

Hope you're right Pudlugger.....Being from Burnet, I am obligated not to like the Horsies!......But if they went 17-0 in the live scrimmage with The Wood, that saids something about the MF'ers!(Marble Fallers! :D)...I realize The Wood had some missing players, but obviously the MF'ers showed some talent......They appear to have a good QB, a great big WR in Gray (UT commit), several good smaller ones, and the big tailback who is also getting looks. Their lines are above average size wise so I hear. Hope ya'll do a number on em'.....We will see them in our annual grudge match In Burnet in about 3 weeks.......

Pudlugger
08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Hope you're right Pudlugger.....Being from Burnet, I am obligated not to like the Horsies!......But if they went 17-0 in the live scrimmage with The Wood, that saids something about the MF'ers!(Marble Fallers! :D)...I realize The Wood had some missing players, but obviously the MF'ers showed some talent......They appear to have a good QB, a great big WR in Gray (UT commit), several good smaller ones, and the big tailback who is also getting looks. Their lines are above average size wise so I hear. Hope ya'll do a number on em'.....We will see them in our annual grudge match In Burnet in about 3 weeks.......

Right Cam, I was bothered by that 17-0 score against Brownwood in the 2 quarter game simulation too. I don't know how strong Brownwood is this year and we haven't heard much from Hollywood :). I do know that Grey will be the key to the Mustang's offense. Our secondary will need to double team him and maintain coverage on the secondary receivers. A strong pass rush will take much of the pressure off the secondary and I'm sure the coaches will be working on that this week. If our offense comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders we may be able to control the clock. It is going to be an important test so early on in the season. I noticed Padilla has us up by 10. God willing, I hope I can attend the game Friday to cheer them on.

YTBulldogs
08-25-2013, 08:07 PM
God willing, I hope I can attend the game Friday to cheer them on.

He is willing. Have faith and you'll be on that 50 yardline come kickoff Pud. I hope you nothing but the best this year and you enjoy every moment of your Lep's season. Great having fan's like you behind HS teams. Have fun Pud!!!!

jrhernandez7
08-25-2013, 08:31 PM
LG will probably try to run Filmor behind that big A&M commitment all night. & that's the recipe to keep it tight until the 4th , where it's a toss up from their. I give LG the advantage in the 4th! Going with tradition and the Leps being at home.

If the Leps figure out a way to slow down Grey Friday night please let us know how! ;)
My Tigers will have to game plan for him next week.

footballfine09
08-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Gray wil get his 2 tds and 150 yards. It's the others that will need to step up this year for the mustangs if they will be successful. If La Grange sends to many on pass rush that leaves Gray in single coverage. That qb can make them pay for that. I'm a Todd dodge fan. I like their chances. Mustangs by 13

Cam
08-25-2013, 09:05 PM
LG will probably try to run Filmor behind that big A&M commitment all night. & that's the recipe to keep it tight until the 4th , where it's a toss up from their. I give LG the advantage in the 4th! Going with tradition and the Leps being at home.

If the Leps figure out a way to slow down Grey Friday night please let us know how! ;)
My Tigers will have to game plan for him next week.

Here's a dose of Gray highlights....Kid is so tall, loves basketball so he's a jumper as well.....hard to stop! http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1390502/garrett-gray

BEAST
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
MFs offense is good. Getting a good rush on the Qb isnt going to be easy. The pass plays used against us were usually very quick reads and throws. There D did not look that great. The loss of our starting Rb did not help us any.

BEAST

hookandladder
08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I posted on another tread about this game, like I said earlier LG offense must control the clock and limited mistakes. If the offense does not move the ball , it could be a long night for LG. The Grey kid will be impossible to stop , all you can hope for it to contain him after his catch. I have not seen LG scrimmage but it would be hard for me to beleive the defense is ready for this kind of passing attack, I will still pick my Leps however the D must step up big time. Leps 38-35.

buff4ever
08-26-2013, 11:31 AM
This should be an interesting game. I think LG is going to be pretty tough this year, but I don't know if they can handle MF offense.

jrhernandez7
08-26-2013, 11:51 AM
MF loves to work the middle of the field. If you double Grey your putting your D in bad match ups. He won't beat you alone, it's the "others" roaming free who will kill you.
I don't believe doubling him is the best strategy.
LG must press him at the line & be physical with their best athlete. Shade & force him toward the sideline. The DB can absolutely Not let Grey cross his face to the middle of the field. If he makes a tough catch on the sideline so be it.
If the mustangs catch the ball over the middle you must make them pay! Hit them every time, even if it's not thrown to them.

Spread & finesse teams don't like to get physical. LG has to take it to them on both sides of the ball.
I will be listing to this one on 104.9 wile watching my Tigers this Friday. Go get Em' Leps!

Cam
08-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Marble Falls / Brownwood write-up: .....Daven Manning is only a frosh!.....I saw him run track as an 8th grader last year....Holy cow!....Looks older and much more developed than what I would expect a freshman to look like...wonder how old he is??...

.http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/26/mustangs-put-on-show-of-strength-in-brownwood-scrimmage/

Pudlugger
08-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Well according to the polls Harris has the Leps by 11 and Padilla has them by 10. Since I have not been able to attend either of our 2 scrimmages I feel somewhat in the dark as to the outcome. What i do know is we have a huge home field advantage as the 3 hour bus ride from Marble Falls to La Grange taxes the team as we found out last year in their house. [Heck, I was even tired and I was just a fan:)]. The things we have over the Mustangs are the number of returning starters especially on offense with a stud o line and 4 very fast and physical rbs. The big question on our offense is how well the Leps fill the open Qb slot. Davis was a very versatile and effective back up who added a new dimension to the offense last year. Actually this may be a plus as his speed and ability to scramble under the pass rush will be a thorn in the side of the defense. I liken him to a Fran Tarkenton type Qb but I'm an old guy and most of you chillens on this board don't know much about him. Just be glad I didn't compare him to Y. A. Tittle (born in Marshall TX):) He has a decent arm and should be able to get the ball to our receivers. None the less, I expect more from the running game and the return of the option this year. Davis was a very big factor as safety on defense and Coach Kates may play him both ways in big third down situations. I expect Coach will pair up #5 Hutchison with Grey as he has the speed to keep up with the big wr UT commit. Our defensive down lineman will probably have at least one and possibly two players going both ways much of the time(#63 Schindler and #70 Ledwik) to pressure the Mustang's sophomore Qb. Hopefully with so many experienced players back out turnover rate should be low. Special teams especially on returns should be dynomite with Hutchison, Davis, Filmore and the freshman Dobbins burning it up. I would be surprised if MF kicks to a deep man Friday night. Well that's my estimation for what it's worth. Go Leps!

Cam
08-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Well according to the polls Harris has the Leps by 11 and Padilla has them by 10. Since I have not been able to attend either of our 2 scrimmages I feel somewhat in the dark as to the outcome. What i do know is we have a huge home field advantage as the 3 hour bus ride from Marble Falls to La Grange taxes the team as we found out last year in their house. [Heck, I was even tired and I was just a fan:)]. The things we have over the Mustangs are the number of returning starters especially on offense with a stud o line and 4 very fast and physical rbs. The big question on our offense is how well the Leps fill the open Qb slot. Davis was a very versatile and effective back up who added a new dimension to the offense last year. Actually this may be a plus as his speed and ability to scramble under the pass rush will be a thorn in the side of the defense. I liken him to a Fran Tarkenton type Qb but I'm an old guy and most of you chillens on this board don't know much about him. Just be glad I didn't compare him to Y. A. Tittle (born in Marshall TX):) He has a decent arm and should be able to get the ball to our receivers. None the less, I expect more from the running game and the return of the option this year. Davis was a very big factor as safety on defense and Coach Kates may play him both ways in big third down situations. I expect Coach will pair up #5 Hutchison with Grey as he has the speed to keep up with the big wr UT commit. Our defensive down lineman will probably have at least one and possibly two players going both ways much of the time(#63 Schindler and #70 Ledwik) to pressure the Mustang's sophomore Qb. Hopefully with so many experienced players back out turnover rate should be low. Special teams especially on returns should be dynomite with Hutchison, Davis, Filmore and the freshman Dobbins burning it up. I would be surprised if MF kicks to a deep man Friday night. Well that's my estimation for what it's worth. Go Leps!

Here's a little video report of the Stangs/Lions scrimmage: http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/26/marble-falls-mustangs-control-brownwood-in-scrimmage/

Pudlugger
08-27-2013, 09:33 AM
The mustangs look like they're ready to play. This will be a huge test for the Leps.

hookandladder
08-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I have not been to any scrimmages however from talking to a few people around town , the defense has a ways to go. If the pass defense does not step up big time, this game will get out of hand. The Grey kid is a stud and we have no one who can guard him one on one , so if you double him you better have other DB's that can go one on one with the other receivers. I think the Davis kid will have to go both ways , he was one of our best DB's last year and there is no one to take his place on D . That would be a huge hole to fill if he goes offense only, use the RB's on offense and just let him manage the game from QB. That would keep him fresh , just my armchair 2 cents.

Pudlugger
08-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I have not been to any scrimmages however from talking to a few people around town , the defense has a ways to go. If the pass defense does not step up big time, this game will get out of hand. The Grey kid is a stud and we have no one who can guard him one on one , so if you double him you better have other DB's that can go one on one with the other receivers. I think the Davis kid will have to go both ways , he was one of our best DB's last year and there is no one to take his place on D . That would be a huge hole to fill if he goes offense only, use the RB's on offense and just let him manage the game from QB. That would keep him fresh , just my armchair 2 cents.

I agree Hook. Davis will need to go both ways. I do believe we have enough speed to stay in front of all their receivers and either Davis or Hutchison or both will need to limit the damage from Grey. If the Leps can keep the Mustangs under 30 points they should be able to sneak past them. Ball control and clock management are going to be essential for a Lep win.

It is too bad we play this formidable passing team in our first game. If we got them in week 3 after getting some work done on our D I would feel better about our chances. We have a great coaching staff so I expect they will bring these boys along real fast. Go Leps!

footballfine09
08-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Must not forget about the running back for marble. He's a bruiser. Getting D1 looks

hookandladder
08-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Must not forget about the running back for marble. He's a bruiser. Getting D1 looks

We faced a number of teams with D-1 RB's last season and we held our own, it's their passing game that will tough on us.

footballfine09
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Good luck and safe game to both teams. It's my favorite time of the year!

hookandladder
08-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Good luck and safe game to both teams. It's my favorite time of the year!

Yes it is, I get to watch two games this week. High school Friday night and college Saturday night, good time of the year.

Cam
08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Here ya go Lep fans: http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/28/fall-sports-preview-2013-marble-falls-football/

Pudlugger
08-28-2013, 03:16 PM
MF has over 50 players on their squad. Depth differences are huge between 4a and 3a programs. The Leps will field around 40 probably. During the Valastro era they fielded 33-35 so the bench has grown in the past two decades of football in La Grange. Nonetheless, MF has a sizeable depth advantage and we will need to balance that with a determined team effort. There will only be 22 players on the field at any time hopefully our guys will get the job done.

footballfine09
08-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I hear la grange makes a living blitzing which puts DBs in man to man. I'm sure they will have to adjust for marble

Cam
08-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I hear la grange makes a living blitzing which puts DBs in man to man. I'm sure they will have to adjust for marble

you blitz the MF'ers and your dead!.....Most of their passing is quick release type stuff.....

Pudlugger
08-29-2013, 03:13 AM
The leps have had plenty of experience defending against the spread offense. Frankly I think they do better with the spread offense then with the slot t or power I formations. As long as the front 4 down lineman get off the ball quickly, with the speed of our secondary the short pass play can be neutralized. MFs young o line will be facing some seasoned defensive tackles tomorrow night so there will be a huge amount of pressure on them to provide coverage. As for the quick release pass, of course punishing the receiver and wrapping him up on the first hit will be crucial and this is the first game of the season so we shall see. If the leps can keep the Mustang score below 30 points they will definitely be in the game. MF has a new DC so I expect their defense to be improved over last season when they gave up 42+ points/game.

hookandladder
08-29-2013, 07:02 AM
you blitz the MF'ers and your dead!.....Most of their passing is quick release type stuff.....

Maybe a 3A team but I bet in their District they will have the athlete's at LB and DB to shut them down, just like last year. Smithville shut them down last year enough to win, so it can happen.

Cam
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Maybe a 3A team but I bet in their District they will have the athlete's at LB and DB to shut them down, just like last year. Smithville shut them down last year enough to win, so it can happen.

I hope so hook!..as you can tell, not a MF fan!.......lookin' forward to seeing the Dawgs play them in a few weeks......we have a couple of corners who are pretty physical and I've noticed some pretty aggressive press coverages...one of our corners is especially nasty on press coverage.....should be entertaining.....

Cam
08-29-2013, 09:51 AM
The Todd Dodge Show --------- http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/28/todd-dodge-show-la-grange-preview/

Ben and Jennifer are some good folks!!.....

Pudlugger
08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Coach Dodge appears to be very satisfied with his team's progress and comes across as a players coach. I didn't realize they only had one scrimmage and started practice on the 12th due to the Spring practice rule. I wonder how that impacts readiness in week 0. We will not have to wait long to find out. Tomorrow night at 7:30 the Leps will be ready to rumble.

Cam
08-29-2013, 01:01 PM
The Daily Tribune game preview: http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/29/la-grange-lines-up-against-marble-falls-with-new-qb-returning-offensive-weapons/

Pudlugger
08-30-2013, 09:00 AM
The Daily Tribune game preview: http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/29/la-grange-lines-up-against-marble-falls-with-new-qb-returning-offensive-weapons/

Pretty good write up for both teams Cam. I was a little confused at Coach Kates remark that the Leopards were not a "win at all costs team" but would take a loss and move on to the next week's game. I think he was trying to say that the Leopards can take a loss in stride but I wouldn't think that folks in La Grange are satisfied with not winning. The Lep tradition has always been to play to win. Play your best, play fair and never give up. If you lose after playing your best then you accept the loss and strive to become better. I think that's what Coach was saying. At any rate the Leps will certainly need to play their best tonight against a very capable opponent.