PDA

View Full Version : Punt Rules

caleb_mccaig
08-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm in an argument with my roommate about a certain rule. Ok, so back in high school I was always told that when we punt the ball and the receiving team does not catch or touch the ball to pick the ball up and hand it straight to the referee. Our coach told us that if we just touched it and left the ball there that it was still a live ball and that the receiving team could then pick the ball up and advance it however far, even for a touchdown, without risk of turning the ball over. I saw this happen at a playoff game I went to back in high school, I think it was Teague and McGregor and they advanced it for a touchdown. My roommate is continuously claiming that the referee must have made a bad call but I am certain that this is a rule. If someone could post a link for the rule or the actual rule I would really appreciate it.

regaleagle
08-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't know exactly what the verbage is for the rule....but a player cannot just touch the ball to down it and walk away from it before the whistle blows. It would be considered still a live ball, and may be advanced. The whistle is the key here, I believe.

caleb_mccaig
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
So it just depends on the referee's actions in a case by case scenario?

regaleagle
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
To clear that last post up....I'm speaking from a receiving team perspective. The team that punts the ball can "kill" the play by simply touching the ball before any receiving team player touches it and it is considered to be "dead". So it depends on which perspective you are referring to .

Necked
08-24-2013, 03:34 PM
The team that punts the ball can "kill" the play by simply touching the ball before any receiving team player touches it and it is considered to be "dead". So it depends on which perspective you are referring to .

I don't think that's true. Think about when the punt is about to cross the goal line & the kicking team bats it backward (which is the only time batting a ball in play is legal, by the way). Is it dead when the punting team bats it, or can the ball still end up in the endzone for a touchback? Makes sense when you think about it that way...

FB-fanatic
08-24-2013, 05:21 PM
This has always been one of my pet peeves since my high school days . Our coach always taught us to pick the ball up, wrap it up, and wait for the whistle. I still cringe when I see a defender lazily slap the ball. Could still be deemed not downed.

Another punting scenario. A ball rolling around not dead - the defenders huddled around it waiting for the deepest dead ball before downing. That pesky offense guy who hangs around juking,like he going to sweep in and pick it up. I say it's a live ball. I say if he pulls that. Clock him and take his head off. Might not do it again next time.

Saw similar my senior year vs Brady. The ole black and white film shows four of us defenders hunddled around the rolling ball, and out of frame comes a flying Bulldog taking out our top linebacker, totally wiping him out of frame on the other side. It's a live ball and game until the ball is picked up and 'possessed'.

NastySlot
08-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm in an argument with my roommate about a certain rule. Ok, so back in high school I was always told that when we punt the ball and the receiving team does not catch or touch the ball to pick the ball up and hand it straight to the referee. Our coach told us that if we just touched it and left the ball there that it was still a live ball and that the receiving team could then pick the ball up and advance it however far, even for a touchdown, without risk of turning the ball over. I saw this happen at a playoff game I went to back in high school, I think it was Teague and McGregor and they advanced it for a touchdown. My roommate is continuously claiming that the referee must have made a bad call but I am certain that this is a rule. If someone could post a link for the rule or the actual rule I would really appreciate it.

was taught the same thing.

Gone Fishing
08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
The whistle blown makes it a dead ball

regaleagle
08-24-2013, 09:01 PM
No, I'm pretty sure when the punting team touches it...it's deemed marked dead there. When it accidentally hits a defender and then is downed later(or fielded) the play reverts back to the yardline in which the ball was first touched by the defender. Hence the play becomes "dead" at that point.

YTBulldogs
08-24-2013, 09:59 PM
No, I'm pretty sure when the punting team touches it...it's deemed marked dead there. When it accidentally hits a defender and then is downed later(or fielded) the play reverts back to the yardline in which the ball was first touched by the defender. Hence the play becomes "dead" at that point.

It's not dead on a illegal touch (which is what a slap of the ball, a quick touch is, or when a punt hits a defenders foot, head, when the punt comes down). Must be secured, to be blown dead. Yes, he can advance after a illegal touch, without risk of losing it on a fumble during return. That's why you often see one hand to each shoulder after a punt, by official, for illegally touching by punting team. Now, if he fumbles on a illegally touched return (just slaps ball, not secure) the returning team can go back to illegally touch spot (bean bag spot) and take possession of the ball from that spot, instead of losing it on a fumble.

Eagle11
08-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Hey everyone,

your correct. its a live ball until the ref blows his whistle and then its dead. if the punt team just touches it and walks away they can pick it up and advance it without any worry of a fumble. it they do fumble the ball it goes back to where they touched it first.

GrTigers6
08-25-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't think that's true. Think about when the punt is about to cross the goal line & the kicking team bats it backward (which is the only time batting a ball in play is legal, by the way). Is it dead when the punting team bats it, or can the ball still end up in the endzone for a touchback? Makes sense when you think about it that way...

There are several times you can bat a ball and it be legal. You cannot bat a ball forward or one in the endzone. But most other times it is legal to bat a ball. There are a few exceptions that I will have to look up and don't have access to at the moment but that is pretty much the rule on batting.

GrTigers6
08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
your correct. its a live ball until the ref blows his whistle and then its dead. if the punt team just touches it and walks away they can pick it up and advance it without any worry of a fumble. it they do fumble the ball it goes back to where they touched it first.

Unless there is a foul by the receiving team. Then they lose that illegal touching spot and with the kicking team accepting the penalty they will get the ball if they fumbled it and it was recovered by the kicking team.