PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 25, Pleasant Grove 22

Gilmer Buckeye
09-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Buckeyes do not look like a Top 10 team tonight. Hawks look better than anyone expected.

Gilmer moves out to 12-0 lead, but one of our receivers drops a third TD pass. We can't kick extra points. Only one out of three. Went for two one other time and failed.

Hawks QB McClendon fumbled on the Gilmer 5 late in the game and Brandon Brantley of Gilmer recovered. Bucks then took control and drove down to the Hawks 10 before QB Derek McKenzie took a knee three times to preserve the victory.

Our special teams are not playing very well. We are giving other teams a short field after practically every kick and punt. Our defense gives up too many long runs, but they make big plays, too. It's a miracle we are still undefeated, IMHO. But we are, so congrats to all the Buckeyes.

Andrew Hines rushed for 129 yards and was the difference in the game with a 69-yard TD run that put us up 25-15 early in the fourth quarter.

Pleasant Grove actually led at one point early in the second half, 15-12.

In conclusion, it's just sad but true that Gilmer would get blown out by Daingerfield if we were to have to play them at this point in the season. Maybe we will improve as time goes on. 4-0 is still a good start. It's the first time we've been 4-0 in quite a few years.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Link to game account:

No. 9 Gilmer edges Pleasant Grove (http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10195358&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=499818&rfi=6)

Rabbit'93
09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Wow that was a close one. Congrats on the win and good luck next week.

Buckeye80
09-20-2003, 12:11 PM
C'mon Buckeye, what's with all the negativity? We would not get blown out by ANY 3A team in the state. We have a few problems (Cabrera and lack of size in the defensive interior) but we can put points up against anyone. Manuel dropped three last night, but Derell Moore stepped up in his place. The Buckeyes will be fine as will be demonstrated by the blow-out of a 4A school next week. Then we have a week off before playing a very down Mt. Vernon squad. Don't jump ship yet, man, because I honestly think you'll see a better effort in the next few weeks. Keep the faith!

Buckeye80
09-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah! One more thing; my grandmother could get 160 yards if you give her the ball 70 times. PG better hope that #25 stays healthy or they will have to change offensive schemes! Don't get me wrong, the kid is greased lightning, but he gets the ball at least two out of three plays. Just a sidenote, I was very impressed with the sportsmanship shown by the Pleasant Grove players, coaches, and fans. It's refreshing to see that following the childish absurdities demonstrated by the Wills Point folks last week.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-20-2003, 01:03 PM
You're right, Buckeye80, in everything you said.

I wrote those first comments in the heat of the moment right after the game. The games always look better (especially a "W") the next day.

You better believe I will keep the faith. These are just 16- to 18-year-old kids playing their hearts out every Friday night and it's the least I can do. I was somewhat disappointed in our crowd, though. Pleasant Grove spectators were standing once they took the lead in the third quarter and our side was cowed into stunned silence.

McGuire only had 28 carries, but I agree with the gist of what you said there, too. Think if Andrew Hines averaged 28 carries a game. With his average per carry, he would be putting up close to 300 yards each game. But our offense is so diversified that he rarely even gets up to 15 carries.

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>

Gilmer Buckeye
09-20-2003, 01:36 PM
You know, I probably should have said "we don't look like the No. 2 team tonight" instead of Top 10. That's what I was thinking.

Buckeye80
09-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Point taken Buckeye! You should've seen what I posted after the Pine Tree loss last year. It's easy to get caught up in the emotion when your team doesn't play as well as you think they should. But make no mistake; PG started off the year at number 12 in Collier-Sharp and with good reason. They are without a doubt the best team we have played so far, and rest assured that they are bound for the D-1 playoffs (Liberty-Eylau doubtful). Anyway, tell me if you disagree, but I think Coach Traylor is saving Andrew for when it matters most. Imagine if Andrew was 100% for the D'Field game last year, the whole game would have changed. I think this year, it's strategy. Look for his carries to increase as we get closer to the playoffs. Additionally, I am not one to jump ahead of myself this early in the season, but with Mt. Vernon, Rains, and Mineola having I believe two wins among them, I really feel that we have locked up a playoff spot without playing a district game yet, JMO. Later Man.

BigRedfan
09-20-2003, 03:25 PM
I would not get too hasty in claiming a playoff spot there are 6 games left to play and 2 of those games are with Winnsboro and Lindale which could cause you some problems. Not saying that they will but they could. See you on the 17 of October on our turf. Should be a good game. Also sometimes the low man on the totem pole can rise up and bite you on the butt.

Good luck and will see yal in Winnsboro on the 17th. eek! wink :p

Buckeye80
09-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey, I prefaced that comment by saying that I'm not usually that kind of prognosticator, but even you BIGRED have to admit that it's a three team race with the Winnsboro/ Gilmer game being a probable district championship deciding game. I understand you want to stay humble, but face facts. Lindale is down, Winnsboro is way up, and we are....well we just are. Y'all also have the advantage of playing us during the Yamboree, which can be a distraction. I have to say that I've always rooted for Winnsboro to lose because of the bad sportsmanship they've always been notorious for....but, it seems like over the past few years, the coaching staff or someone has stepped in to quell some of that. Good luck Raiders! We'll see you in Winnsboro!!

BigRedfan
09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Buckeye80
What does the 80 stand for? Is that a son's number or the year that you may have graduated? How would you know about the unsportsmanlike conduct that Winnsboro is notorious for over years? Do you have some kind of first hand knowledge or just going on hearsay?