PDA

View Full Version : TARPON TIME

footballgal
09-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Tarpon Time
Port Isabel’s offense leads team into District 32-3A play

By JASON MCDANIEL
The Brownsville herald

District play is about to get underway and that means it’s almost ‘Tarpon Time.’

Last season Port Isabel featured one of the most prolific offenses in the Valley, but things didn’t start coming together until after the storied ‘Battle of Highway 100.’ Heading into their game against Los Fresnos, the Tarpons were 1-2 and struggling.

“It was like a track meet,” Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “They score, we score, they score, we score... Nobody could really stop each other and then we had a couple of penalties that cost us, and a fumble, and they got up on us 21 points. The kids could have shut it down, but we found our heart there and the kids came back and fought.”

The Tarpons ended up on the short end of that thrilling 42-35 shoot out, but used that lesson to catapult them to a 6-0 district record and a trip to the playoffs. In their six district games last season, the Tarpons went outscored their opponents by a combined 238-17.

This season has started off much the same, but this time Stumbaugh thinks the offense could be even more dangerous.

“I think we are ahead this year of where we were last year, as far as knowing what to do. We’re 1-2 again, but if we had hung on to the football we’re 3-0,” Stumbaugh said.

This year’s slow start has been caused by early-season sloppiness — see three fumbles against Falfurrias — and injuries. In the 9-7 loss to the Fighting Jersey Bulls, several key offensive players were slowed by injuries, including quarterback Gabriel Alvarez. The Tarpons featured running back, Johnny Nieto, didn’t even play.

So even though the Hwy. 100 showdown didn’t happen this year, it could once again be just what the Tarpons needed to turn the tables on their season.

That extra week off gave Alvarez and Nieto time to heal, so both will be fresh and fired up for the first time heading into district play. And for Alvarez, mobility is crucial.

“He is a good option quarterback.” Stumbaugh said. “He reads defenses well and he can make things happen for us because he’s a shifty little runner.”

At 5-feet-7 and 150 pounds, the senior QB isn’t the biggest guy on the field, but he makes up for that with speed and determination.

Last season in a 45-0 blowout of Lyford, Alvarez carried the ball into the end zone twice and threw for 112 yards and another touchdown, proving he has the ability to take over a game.

But more often than not, the Tarpons relied on Joey Loera to punch the ball in for the score. Now with Loera gone, Alvarez expects himself to shoulder more of the burden.

“I think I have to score because we lost Joey,” Alvarez said. “We have running backs that can replace him, but I think I have to step it up this year.”

Alvarez should be able to do so in his second year as the Tarpons leader. He is smarter and shows veteran maturity and understanding of his role.

“I can’t be panicking because if I panic and then I throw the ball, I might throw an interception,” Alvarez said. “So I’ve got to stay in the pocket as long as possible, and if nothing opens up, just run the ball or throw it out of bounds.”

Alvarez, literally, has plenty of weapons with him on the field — ‘Nitro” Nieto and Misael ‘Missle’ Iracheta.

Theses two guys provide plenty of explosiveness for the Tarpons’ offense.

With a 4.35 40-yard time, Iracheta may be faster than a missle, and just as dangerous to opponents. And because he plays on both sides of the ball, the opposition gets to see plenty of him.

“He’s going to hurt you on offense if he gets open because he can run, but he is a pretty good free safety too. For what we do, he is the perfect guy to be back there because he does what we ask him to do.” Stumbaugh said.

The humble senior wideout, who says he loves breaking up opponents passes more than catching his own, also expects to contribute more in this season’s offensive attack.

Last year Iracheta’s first touchdown reception from Alvarez came in the playoffs against Bishop. This year ‘the missile’ is already on the board after his touchdown catch against La Vernia in Week 0.

“We are the same team, but we have a little more experience and we’re a little better,” Iracheta said. “I’m trying to get more involved this year, but it’s up to the coaches.”

The coaches are also looking to put a little more ‘Nitro’ into their gameplan. In a 30-7 victory over PSJA Memorial, Nieto reached the endzone three times, two coming on runs and one off a 37-yard pass from Alvarez.

“I expect more out of myself than last year,” Nieto said. “Carrying the ball is important to our team because we run so much option.”

With fresh legs and fearless leaders, Port Isabel looks primed to once again pile up points on District 32-3A opponents and prove to everyone that the next six weeks is ‘Tarpon Time.’

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>