PDA

View Full Version : Dust off the keyboard... time to get back ONline and ready for BULL football!

slpybear the bullfan
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Well, here we go, the 2013 season is upon us and its time to dust off the account and get some action going. Hope everyone had a great offseason and look forward to some good discussions.

What's new since last year?

The Bulls got a turf field... (hopefully we can figure out how to get a pic up on here soon if it isn't already.)

My oldest cub is now a freshman and I'm learning more about a Volleyball!

And we are building a new bear cave.

Here is to a great season!

bobcat1
08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Get 'em Bulls!

BEAST
08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Is the ladies volleyball team called the Bulls? Serious question.

BEAST

BullBoy
08-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Here it is!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2r295co.jpg

BullBoy
08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Is the ladies volleyball team called the Bulls? Serious question.

BEAST

The girls teams for Bridgeport are called The Sissies. Used to be Lady Bulls but that just didn't sound right.

BEAST
08-21-2013, 02:15 PM
The girls teams for Bridgeport are called The Sissies. Used to be Lady Bulls but that just didn't sound right.

I hear you about Lady Bulls sounding odd, but why Sissies?

BEAST

BullBoy
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
From what I know is that long ago we used to be the Bridgeport Bullies so the girls teams were the Sissies, later the names changed to Bulls and Lady Bulls. I don't remember too far back but the girls team name was changed back to Sissies not too long ago (2005 I think).

bobcat1
08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I hear you about Lady Bulls sounding odd, but why Sissies?

BEAST

Because they play like girls. :wave:

toddg
08-21-2013, 03:07 PM
good luck Bulls!!! we'll help ya'll break that new turf in next friday!!

GreenMonster
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Because they play like girls. :wave:

Reaaalllly butch girls when they were the Lady Bulls. :devil:

GrTigers6
08-21-2013, 09:19 PM
At least you don't have to be the opposite of Steers! Which I believe they use Bells!
Just picking on my graham faithful!!! Good luck to the Bulls and the Steers this season!
Glad to be back and causing trouble again! :wave:

slpybear the bullfan
08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, my daughter is now a Bridgeport "Sissie". And yes, it goes back to when the boys were called the Bullies. My grandpa played for the "Bullies" and there is a great pic of their team from 1929. If you stop at Raymonds BBQ on 114 across from the park you can see a copy hanging on the wall.

The story... when the Bulls first started playing in the 1920s we had no team name. After a game (which if IIRC was a scrimmage against a TCU freshman team, definitely need to verify exactly the details), a reporter asked a team member on the train ride back home some questions for a write up. When asked about the team's name the young man replied that they didn't have one. But when they played good, the coach called them a bunch of "Bullies". That started the name of Bullies.

It got shortened to the Bulls but I'm not sure when. I know by the time my dad played in the early 1960s it was Bulls. And know that My mom played for the "Sissies" at the same time. And that they were the "sissies" when I was at school back in the 80s. I think they tried Lady Bulls for a few years in the early 2000s, but it never caught on at all. My daughter is now a "Sissie". And I hope to raise two 4th generation Bulls as well... (currently my sons are 5th grade and 2nd grade).

Hope everyone has a great season...

ccmom
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
At least you don't have to be the opposite of Steers! Which I believe they use Bells!
Just picking on my graham faithful!!! Good luck to the Bulls and the Steers this season!
Glad to be back and causing trouble again! :wave:

Aren't the Graham girls the "Lady Blues"?

ccmom
08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Looking forward to making my first trip to Bridgeport in a couple of weeks. Good luck on your season!!

bobcat1
08-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Aren't the Graham girls the "Lady Blues"?I thought they were the Cows or Heifers or er......I don't know. :wave: