PDA

View Full Version : Texas QB David Ash Tuesday's coments on Johnny Football

Scoop27
08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
David Ash was asked today what's allowed him to not follow Johnny Manziel's path and what's allowed Ash to be the opposite of what Manziel portrays publicly (that's not me twisting it, that's the way the reporter asked Ash the question).

Here's the question that was asked:

David, when you see a guy like Johnny Manziel, the quarterback for A&M, going out and getting into trouble, may not get to play this season... How happy does it make you that you're basically the opposite of somebody like that. That wouldn't be getting into that kind of trouble that you know would be here every game?"

The following is Ash's answer:

“That's a tough question. My answer is just by the grace of God. I don't know Johnny Manziel personally, but I do know college football players are just people. Regular people and they have their problems like everyone else.

“Johnny Manziel, I've talked to him. He's a nice guy. There's a lot on his plate. There's a lot of pressure and there's things that can still be wrong in your life. Probably not very many people are interested in knowing what that is or what's going on.

“For Johnny, I just wish him the best. He's a great football player. For me, it's only by the grace of God that I haven't taken that path. I've been blessed with great parents. I've been blessed with a great community in Austin. I have problems like Johnny Manziel – somehow I keep them from all of you guys.

“I just wish him the best and I hope things work out for him.”

Macarthur
08-21-2013, 10:33 AM
I think he handled the question sincerely although he probably should have used better words.

I think the person asking the question in that manner is a Dewsh and I hope they are not a legit journalist.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 11:02 AM
The reason he hasn't taken that path is because he blows and isn't a heisman winner with people breathing down his neck constantly. If ash goes anywhere outside Austin, nobody would even know who he was. That's what's allowed him to not take the path.

Btw, whoever asked these questions is a tool, though he gave a good answer.

Rabid Cougar
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Simply put, Ash cannot hold Manzel's jock. That's why no one knows what Ash does on his own time.

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
The reason he hasn't taken that path is because he blows and isn't a heisman winner with people breathing down his neck constantly. If ash goes anywhere outside Austin, nobody would even know who he was. That's what's allowed him to not take the path.

Btw, whoever asked these questions is a tool, though he gave a good answer.

Wow, so Manziel has choosen that path only because he has won a Hesiman. Simply amazing.

Rabid Cougar
08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Wow, so Manziel has choosen that path only because he has won a Hesiman. Simply amazing.

No, I think JFF has been JFF long before the 2012 season.

OldBison75
08-21-2013, 11:37 AM

NO hook, he said that nobody knows what Ash really is doing because he is not being followed and photographed every time he leaves his room like the Heisman winner. If 99% of the people on this board were to sit next to Ash in a café, they would not even know who he was because he has not been glorified in the media everyday.

It is amazing to you that we defend Johnny, but it is amazing to us that some people believe that everything we read in the media is absolute truth.

Let the investigators do their jobs. If he is breaking the rules, let the infractions and punishment committee do their jobs. Ultimately, what we think does not matter anyhow. We just like to trash one side or the other because we have bias. I personally hope this all goes away because I love to watch the kid play. I could care less if he played for the Aggies, Sam Houston, Texas, or Prairie View. He is exciting on the field and I am a football fan, not a judge.

The Saxon
08-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Ash tried to take the high road. You Aggy worry so much about being slighted that you can't take any criticism or bad publicity without trying to turn it around. Ash didn't hate on Manzel...I sure hope the Aggies live up to the hype this season. That hasn't happened much has it?

Macarthur
08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Ash tried to take the high road. You Aggy worry so much about being slighted that you can't take any criticism or bad publicity without trying to turn it around. Ash didn't hate on Manzel...I sure hope the Aggies live up to the hype this season. That hasn't happened much has it?

No one is hating on him. I said I think he could have used better language. For example, he shouldn't have thrown his parents under the bus. I think he was trying to answer it in a good way but the 'Christian' thing to do would have been to avoid the question.

The real issue here is the jackass that asked that question.

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
No one is hating on him. I said I think he could have used better language. For example, he shouldn't have thrown his parents under the bus. I think he was trying to answer it in a good way but the 'Christian' thing to do would have been to avoid the question.

The real issue here is the jackass that asked that question.

Yes , he really threw Johnny's parents under the bus. It would take someone like you to read into what he said and turn it around, he said he ( Ash) was blessed with great parents and did not even mention Johnny's parents.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
NO hook, he said that nobody knows what Ash really is doing because he is not being followed and photographed every time he leaves his room like the Heisman winner. If 99% of the people on this board were to sit next to Ash in a café, they would not even know who he was because he has not been glorified in the media everyday.

It is amazing to you that we defend Johnny, but it is amazing to us that some people believe that everything we read in the media is absolute truth.

Let the investigators do their jobs. If he is breaking the rules, let the infractions and punishment committee do their jobs. Ultimately, what we think does not matter anyhow. We just like to trash one side or the other because we have bias. I personally hope this all goes away because I love to watch the kid play. I could care less if he played for the Aggies, Sam Houston, Texas, or Prairie View. He is exciting on the field and I am a football fan, not a judge.

At least someone on this forum can read....

Hook.. I'm not defending Johnny's actions. I'm just saying he's constantly under a microscope. If ash were under the same microscope, people would probably be all over him too. Fact of the matter is, no one cares if ash goes to a frat party, sleeps through a meeting or has four side seats...

Emerson1
08-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Ash also hasn't gone out of his way to tweet douchey pictures like Manziel has to try and get attention.

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 01:22 PM
At least someone on this forum can read....

Hook.. I'm not defending Johnny's actions. I'm just saying he's constantly under a microscope. If ash were under the same microscope, people would probably be all over him too. Fact of the matter is, no one cares if ash goes to a frat party, sleeps through a meeting or has four side seats...

I agree 100% with you on that, I am just old fashion and set in my ways and expect more out of my son. I am looking at Manziel as if he was my own and I would hope after winning the Hesiman that he would have represented himself in a better way, I do not buy the BS about being a normal college kid because he is not weather he likes it or not. It's like the old saying goes , act like you've been there before. I understand about him being under the microscope but again , this all comes with the territory of being as successful as he has been in a very short amount of time. Maybe after all this is cleared up he will have a better understanding of what is expected of a Hesiman trophy winner, maybe not.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Ash also hasn't gone out of his way to tweet douchey pictures like Manziel has to try and get attention.

And no one would care even if he did.... See the difference?

Buckeye1980
08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I believe part of the problem is not what Johnny has or has not done , but the way he has brought attention to himself. Alot of people if they see Johnny in public would not know who he was if not brought to their attention and I believe he has brought it to their attention. At times in the last 9 months , he has chose to stand out, right or wrong, I do not know, but maybe not always the right choice.

Emerson1
08-21-2013, 03:05 PM
If he did then ESPN would cover it up as part of the anti-A&M, pro-TU conspiracy.

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 03:08 PM

If Manziel was going to be in La Grange today for some reason , it would mean very little to me as far as wanting to meet him or go see him. Has nothing to do with him being an aggie football player , I love watching him play football but have no need to meet him. It would be just like in summer ball when Clemons and Biggio's son's were on our summer team, they were normal people just like us. I will say Clemons and Manziel have a lot in common as far as wanting to be in the spot light, Biggio had no interest in being in the spotlight. He would wear shorts and Tee shirt with a camo hunting cap.

vtskneb
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I would have probably acted the way Johnny has and gotten the same criticism at that age. While I am not judging him, he is not the first College rockstar nor will he be the last, so the woes me defense is kind of grating. He "hired" a 20 year old manager to run his affairs and there in lies most of his problems. Whether this was family decision or one he made without consulting the right people, that probably is where this train sailed off the track. If he and the University had been used to this type of attention they probably could have headed most of this off before it started snowballing on them. Oh well A&M made on the low side $37million off the kid, what is a few thousand in walking around money for him? A&M/Manziel just need to hope Uncle Nate doesn't grow a conscience and this will all go away.

Macarthur
08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Yes , he really threw Johnny's parents under the bus. It would take someone like you to read into what he said and turn it around, he said he ( Ash) was blessed with great parents and did not even mention Johnny's parents.

Someone like me? What the f does that mean? Seeing as how we have never met and you know nothing about me.

Phil C
08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
I like Quidditch.

hsbtex
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
David Ash was asked today what's allowed him to not follow Johnny Manziel's path and what's allowed Ash to be the opposite of what Manziel portrays publicly (that's not me twisting it, that's the way the reporter asked Ash the question).

David, when you see a guy like Johnny Manziel, the quarterback for A&M, going out and getting into trouble, may not get to play this season... How happy does it make you that you're basically the opposite of somebody like that. That wouldn't be getting into that kind of trouble that you know would be here every game?"

“That's a tough question. My answer is just by the grace of God. I don't know Johnny Manziel personally, but I do know college football players are just people. Regular people and they have their problems like everyone else.

“Johnny Manziel, I've talked to him. He's a nice guy. There's a lot on his plate. There's a lot of pressure and there's things that can still be wrong in your life. Probably not very many people are interested in knowing what that is or what's going on.

“For Johnny, I just wish him the best. He's a great football player. For me, it's only by the grace of God that I haven't taken that path. I've been blessed with great parents. I've been blessed with a great community in Austin. I have problems like Johnny Manziel – somehow I keep them from all of you guys.

I was at the gym yesterday and saw this. Some people there spewed water everywhere...laughing. What question is that??? Who is David Ash? Comparing him to Manziel??

Gotta love Austin!!

cougartino
08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Again now, what was the question?

coach
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Again now, what was the question?

I wonder how many people had to look up who david ash is. He isnt a household name....

vtskneb
08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I wonder how many people had to look up who david ash is. He isnt a household name....

Where was the article written and for what paper? Was it on ESPN or in SE Texas? It seems like a fluff piece for the horns, doesn't change the craziness being spewed from both sides of the isle in this thread.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I like Quidditch.

Lol..

cougartino
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Sounds like the name of a Jesuit priest.

Roughneck93
08-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I think he handled the question sincerely although he probably should have used better words.

I think the person asking the question in that manner is a Dewsh and I hope they are not a legit journalist.

:iagree:

I don't see anything controversial in Ash's comments.

bd62
08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I think Ash did a good job answering the questions from a guy that was setting him up
to bash Johnny. He didn't . Good for David and shame on that guy that called himself a reporter.

hsbtex
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Where was the article written and for what paper? Was it on ESPN or in SE Texas? It seems like a fluff piece for the horns, doesn't change the craziness being spewed from both sides of the isle in this thread.

It was a local Austin station. Apparently the hornies don't have much to talk about.

Ash did the best he could...just the Liberalville reporter is a moron...which exemplifies Austin

Gobbler Fan
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Good for the kid that he's getting all the attention he's a hell of a football player but could have handled thing a little bit differently. I like how all the aggies come out after one good year in the SEC its just to bad they couldn't do the same in the so called weaker conference. Good luck the second time around when all the teams wont be surprised by that offense. :stirpot:

OldBison75
08-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Good for the kid that he's getting all the attention he's a hell of a football player but could have handled thing a little bit differently. I like how all the aggies come out after one good year in the SEC its just to bad they couldn't do the same in the so called weaker conference. Good luck the second time around when all the teams wont be surprised by that offense. :stirpot:

I think you may be right about one thing--no one will be surprised this year. However, I still believe they can win at least 9 games and maybe 10.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Lol well if there's any Aggie on this board who isn't a fair weather fan, it's Saggy Aggie. My first 3 years in college station were extremely painful football wise and I can remember being one of very few, namely BBDE, that defended A&M throughout all those 2nd half meltdowns, jerrod Johnson fiasco, etc.

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 08:37 PM
I think you may be right about one thing--no one will be surprised this year. However, I still believe they can win at least 9 games and maybe 10.

I take it that you are not a die hard aggie fan, an undefeated season with a NC should be your only goal right now.9 or 10 wins with Johnny football should be considered a failure of a season , you have to have higher goals then that.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
I take it that you are not a die hard aggie fan, an undefeated season with a NC should be your only goal right now.9 or 10 wins with Johnny football should be considered a failure of a season , you have to have higher goals then that.

He's not an Aggie fan....

10 wins is realistic. Anything beyond that requires a lot of luck and good health. Obviously a NC is the ultimate goal but I'd like to get by bama first

defense51
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM

I don't see anything controversial in Ash's comments.
I agree, I thought he handled the question rather well.

Tejastrue
08-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I think Ash should have just said .."no comment". Like others have pointed out...'stupid' are the questions and the person doing the asking. Ash will have a good season.

scrub c
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

lol.

OldBison75
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM

No, I would not be called a die hard Aggie fan, but I have followed them for many years and my daughter is a senior there this year. I am realistic about looking at the upcoming season. I think the talent is there for the year to be great, but, luck will have to play a role. Injuries can cause problems and there is some youth that will have to be on top of the game by week three for there to be any chance of a NC. I would love to see them win a NC, but, the world will not end if that does not happen.

Old Tiger
08-21-2013, 09:36 PM

With that pathetic schedule, they better.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 10:21 PM
With that pathetic schedule, they better.

Lol lets compare schedules...

Old Tiger
08-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Texas A&M

2013 Opponent (2012 Record)

Rice (7-6)
SHSU (FCS)
Bama (MNC)*
SMU (7-6)
Arkansas (4-8)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Auburn (3-9)
Vandy (9-4)
UTEP (3-9)
Miss St (8-5)
LSU (10-3)
Missouri (5-7)

Texas

New Mexico St (1-11)
BYU (8-5)
Ole Miss (7-6)
K State (11-2)
Iowa St (6-7)
OU (10-3)
TCU(7-6)
Kansas (1-11)
West Virginia (7-6)
Okie St (8-5)
Tech (8-5)
Baylor (8-5)

5 of A&M's opponents did not play in a bowl game last season while only 2 of Texas opponents did not.

A&M does have the game with Bama which is their biggest game.

Texas plays Kansas State which is comparable to LSU in terms of W/L.

Texas/OU is their equivalent to Bama/A&M -- Not saying they are the same.

Looking at a mutual opponent from last season we have Ole Miss and again this year.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Texas A&M

Rice (7-6)
SHSU (FCS)
Bama (MNC)*
SMU (7-6)
Arkansas (4-8)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Auburn (3-9)
Vandy (9-4)
UTEP (3-9)
Miss St (8-5)
LSU (10-3)
Missouri (5-7)

Texas

New Mexico St (1-11)
BYU (8-5)
Ole Miss (7-6)
K State (11-2)
Iowa St (6-7)
OU (10-3)
TCU(7-6)
Kansas (1-11)
West Virginia (7-6)
Okie St (8-5)
Tech (8-5)
Baylor (8-5)

5 of A&M's opponents did not play in a bowl game last season while only 2 of Texas opponents did not.

Looking at a mutual opponent from last season we have Ole Miss and again this year.

The only major difference I see is.... Bama. Which makes a&m's schedule a whole hell of a lot better. And LSU/Oklahoma are not equal... Do you not remember what happened to OU in their bowl game... Lol. Completely embarrassed. They sucked

Old Tiger
08-21-2013, 11:24 PM
The only major difference I see is.... Bama. Which makes a&m's schedule a whole hell of a lot better. And LSU/Oklahoma are not equal... Do you not remember what happened to OU in their bowl game... Lol. Completely embarrassed. They sucked

1 game doesn't make the entire schedule better. You still play an FCS team and 4 other teams who did not make a bowl game.

Saggy Aggie
08-22-2013, 07:49 AM
1 game doesn't make the entire schedule better. You still play an FCS team and 4 other teams who did not make a bowl game.

In this case... That one game makes a huge difference. And SHSU is FCS, but they'd probably beat KU and NMSU LOL

gatordaze
08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I think Ash should have just said .."no comment". Like others have pointed out...'stupid' are the questions and the person doing the asking. Ash will have a good season.

"No comment" would have been incredibly dismissive of Ash toward the Heisman winner. He answered the question sincerely without any sarcasm or malice toward anyone. Reading anything into his words is a reach at best.

Rabid Cougar
08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
. I like how all the aggies come out after one good year in the SEC its just to bad they couldn't do the same in the so called weaker conference. Good luck the second time around when all the teams wont be surprised by that offense. :stirpot:

Different coach/different system than what was in the Big 12minus2 in 2011. ATM would have been undefeated in 2012 but they would not have had the recruit haul in 2013

Alabama played A&M the second week of November. Oklahoma played them in January. A&M just didn't sneak up on those teams.
How much more time do they need to not be surprised? You can prepare for the actual plays that JFF is supposed to execute. You cannot prepare for the improvisation. When he starts running, do you go after him or do you stick with the receivers? You are toast either way.

Macarthur
08-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Different coach/different system than what was in the Big 12minus2 in 2011. ATM would have been undefeated in 2012 but they would not have had the recruit haul in 2013

y.

This is what I don't understand about the A&M couldn't do that in the big 12 argument.

First, they had a new QB that happened to win a heirs man and second, sumlin brought an entirely new attitude to the entire program.

Anyone that watched the 2011 Aggies and the 2012 Aggies and doesn't see that it was a completely different team, is clueless or their bias is getting in the way.

Aesculus gilmus
08-22-2013, 10:00 AM
This encounter could have been worse. He was pretty guarded in his comments. Had he not been, he might've blurted out what I KNOW he has occasionally thought over the last year:

"I just THANK GOD Manziel didn't come to Texas to play safety because with the "CF" we've had concerning the quarterback position the last few years, he inevitably would've been allowed to take a few snaps and my butt would be warming the bench to this day."

Farmersfan
08-22-2013, 10:11 AM
The "he won a heisman and therefore is under a microscope" dodge is stupid. Remember we have a Heisman winner every single season and we don't have this kind of circus surrounding them. If not for Johnny's antics nobody would care about what he's doing now either. It's the same arguement used by many about Tony Romo's public personna. They claim he's judged differently because of things outside his control..... And it's just as wrong!

Emerson1
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
OT think these are decent seats?

Section: Lower Level Sideline 31
Seats: Row 44 | Seats 33, 34

$120 each for KSU game.

ronwx5x
08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

ogg
08-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Well done Ash, good to see a classy college QB in our state!

hsbtex
08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Texas A&M

Rice (7-6)
SHSU (FCS)
Bama (MNC)*
SMU (7-6)
Arkansas (4-8)
Ole Miss (7-6)
Auburn (3-9)
Vandy (9-4)
UTEP (3-9)
Miss St (8-5)
LSU (10-3)
Missouri (5-7)

Texas

New Mexico St (1-11)
BYU (8-5)
Ole Miss (7-6)
K State (11-2)
Iowa St (6-7)
OU (10-3)
TCU(7-6)
Kansas (1-11)
West Virginia (7-6)
Okie St (8-5)
Tech (8-5)
Baylor (8-5)

Ummm....Tigger, I think there's one more common opponent. It was a nail biter for us...and for the hornies too!

hsbtex
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
This is what I don't understand about the A&M couldn't do that in the big 12 argument.

First, they had a new QB that happened to win a heirs man and second, sumlin brought an entirely new attitude to the entire program.

Anyone that watched the 2011 Aggies and the 2012 Aggies and doesn't see that it was a completely different team, is clueless or their bias is getting in the way.

It's called denial. The little orange and white that couldn't have phD's in it