PDA

View Full Version : Teams that play players both ways

orange machine
08-20-2013, 05:00 PM
What are yalls thoughts on playing players both ways? I think if it helps your team to play your best athletes both ways then so be it. I realize they have a better chance at getting injured, but you also have a much better chance at winning and it seems the really good programs have a few of their best players going both ways.

Scoop27
08-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Sometimes coaches have no depth at positions especially at small schools and players have to go both ways/

orange machine
08-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Sometimes coaches have no depth at positions especially at small schools and players have to go both ways/

Yea I understand that, but im talking about a player or players that are good on both sides of the ball. For instance lets say you have a runningback that is really good at linebacker also and better than any other player you could put at linebacker, do you play him both ways because he is so much better than anybody else you could put at either position? Or do you go with another player thats not near as good just so your player doesn't have to go both ways?

panfan
08-20-2013, 05:10 PM
What are yalls thoughts on playing players both ways? I think if it helps your team to play your best athletes both ways then so be it. I realize they have a better chance at getting injured, but you also have a much better chance at winning and it seems the really good programs have a few of their best players going both ways.

Best players should be on the field IMO. - if that means they go both ways, then so be it. Its like the difference between playing rec ball where everybody gets a chance and tournament ball - where you put your best 9 out there. In this case - put your best 11 out there to help your team out - don't strangle hold them cause little johnny needs some playing time. Now if little johnny is a badass, then by all mean put him out there.

GrTigers6
08-20-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree In 3A and under especially you need to play the best players available. Last year we had a superb running back who was also an outstanding safety. He played primarily on offense but played more than half the downs on defense as well. However it works both ways because when he went down in the playoff game it hurt both sides of the ball.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Celina has a few players that could go both ways that I think would make them a very dangerous team. Don't know if the coaches will do it or not, but in my little brain it would be awesome. Im not a coach so what do I know?:dispntd:

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
If we have any stud athletes, normally they'll play offense/defense and return kicks.

cowboyandchrist
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Carthage will play them both ways when district starts and play them even more in the playoffs. In todays 3A football, you have no choice. There was a time in 3A when there were only a few teams that would dominate, now there are 8 9 even 10 teams out there that are outstanding.

regaleagle
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm a depth of the program type guy....I like to see the coaches play as many players as possible. There's always two or three players that may see some action both ways at times, depending upon the situation. But I think in the bigger picture you improve your overall program by playing as many players as you can. Sometimes your team may suffer in a season, or early on in a season for doing this....but I like that Coach Rodgers has that philosophy with our Argyle Eagles. I'm convinced it's an asset in the grand scheme of things. If a player goes down, you have replacements with gametime experience, and they know the schemes and calls.

PS>>>I also believe you discover hidden talent on the bench by playing the boys. Let's face it....some players just do not look good in practices, but become a different animal during gametime situations. They rise to the level of competition and to the call of duty when given an opportunity.

FB-fanatic
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
We have 2-platooned for the past 6 years or so, and it has worked out well. Stay fresh and coach 'em up.:)

Matthew328
08-20-2013, 08:59 PM
its hard to go through an entire season playing kids both ways at the 3A level...the real elite teams have few players who go both ways and those that do are generally WR/DB types....and even then coaches pick and chose their spots

Gone Fishing
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
LOL.. Last year in Wimberley our QB played safety, But the funniest thing is he returned Punts.... After a couple of scrimmages and games and many muffs, I guess coaches said what the hell, best hands back there!!!!

Gone Fishing
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
its hard to go through an entire season playing kids both ways at the 3A level...the real elite teams have few players who go both ways and those that do are generally WR/DB types....and even then coaches pick and chose their spots

Your right Matthew, IN 2011 we had 2 players go both ways, but part time. All of them COULD have, but didn't have to, and that = deep run or State champion in 3 A or below.

hollywood
08-20-2013, 09:31 PM
It really depends on the strength of the class or classes and the situation of the talent level. In 3A, that really depends on many factors. Stephenville and Brownwood (most familiar with) typically have the numbers that decrease the need of having 2-way players. Although there are certain situations where a DB/WR RB/LB could be utilized in a particular scheme. Last season Stephenville went through preseason working in lots of players. In district play, the starters were mostly 1-way because of the development. When the playoffs started, the best playmakers were in on both offense and defense in certain situations that gave the team the best chances to make plays. It was a well thought out scheme by the coaching staff and worked very well. But then again, it was a matter of the class of talent. Not enough top tier players for everyone to be 1-way players to get the job done for a full season. Injuries are another factor of a player being needed to go both ways. It's really situational IMO.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 09:59 PM
It really depends on the strength of the class or classes and the situation of the talent level. In 3A, that really depends on many factors. Stephenville and Brownwood (most familiar with) typically have the numbers that decrease the need of having 2-way players. Although there are certain situations where a DB/WR RB/LB could be utilized in a particular scheme. Last season Stephenville went through preseason working in lots of players. In district play, the starters were mostly 1-way because of the development. When the playoffs started, the best playmakers were in on both offense and defense in certain situations that gave the team the best chances to make plays. It was a well thought out scheme by the coaching staff and worked very well. But then again, it was a matter of the class of talent. Not enough top tier players for everyone to be 1-way players to get the job done for a full season. Injuries are another factor of a player being needed to go both ways. It's really situational IMO.
See I agree with this. For instance Celina has two kids offense that are needed there, but they are really good on defense as well and would probably start on defense if they were not needed on the offense. My point is if they needed them on defense also I would play them there also and rest them when needed.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
2 years ago when WC lost to Chapel Hill on the last second TD in the semis, WC's QB was named Traylon Johnican.

Johnican played QB, WR, RB, CB, K, P, KR, and PR....

He was pretty good... Made 1st team all state on defense with 7 picks I believe... Literally never came off the field

orange machine
08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I agree its better to have players only play on one side of the ball if you can, but if you have a stud or not enough talent in certain position then you have to go both ways.

FB-fanatic
08-20-2013, 10:54 PM
LOL.. Last year in Wimberley our QB played safety, But the funniest thing is he returned Punts.... After a couple of scrimmages and games and many muffs, I guess coaches said what the hell, best hands back there!!!!
Our QB also kicks off, extra points, and field goals. That is what helped hm score the second most points in all the state, all classifications - 251 points.

Farmersfan
08-21-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree its better to have players only play on one side of the ball if you can, but if you have a stud or not enough talent in certain position then you have to go both ways.

I think you have to ask yourself if playing a stud QB (for instance) on defense also might be reducing his overall effectiveness at QB. A well rested QB can execute better than a QB that doesn't come off the field when his team is on defense. If it is seen that the kid can perform at his best even though he is going both ways then what does it hurt other than the expanded opportunity for injury? But I highly doubt there are any kids that don't have their overall performance affected negatively by the loss of the rest time............... Just my opinion.

Rabid Cougar
08-21-2013, 09:52 AM
You play your studs no matter what. 07-08, My son (DE, G) and Mike Hicks (WR, S) never came off the field. RB's are different matter. They get banged up enough running the ball. I agree with playing them in spots but not all the time. Same for QBs. They are way more important on Offense.

JBulldawg
08-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I remember Michael Bishop of Willis (went on to K-State) never leaving the field. He was the QB on offense, free safety on defense, was the kicker (kickoffs, fg, pat), the punter, kickoff returner and punt returner. Other than timeouts and halftime, the guy never left the playing field. Amazing!

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
I remember Michael Bishop of Willis (went on to K-State) never leaving the field. He was the QB on offense, free safety on defense, was the kicker (kickoffs, fg, pat), the punter, kickoff returner and punt returner. Other than timeouts and halftime, the guy never left the playing field. Amazing!

That's pretty much exactly what I said about Johnican, West Columbia's 2011 QB.

buckeyebob
08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Yea I understand that, but im talking about a player or players that are good on both sides of the ball. For instance lets say you have a runningback that is really good at linebacker also and better than any other player you could put at linebacker, do you play him both ways because he is so much better than anybody else you could put at either position? Or do you go with another player thats not near as good just so your player doesn't have to go both ways?

We shoot for 80 snaps per game...both ways can't hang & I have seen some really good ones try (Monsta Brown - Henderson - Reg. 2012 is great example)...we play 45-50 kids per game in & out

waterboy
08-21-2013, 04:47 PM
We shoot for 80 snaps per game...both ways can't hang & I have seen some really good ones try (Monsta Brown - Henderson - Reg. 2012 is great example)...we play 45-50 kids per game in & out

The key at the 3A level is to rotate players in and out. If you can do that regularly without much dropoff in play, it definitely helps to limit injuries, and gives your second string players in-game experience which will improve their skills. We have several players that go both ways, but they are limited in the number of plays they play on offense and defense usually. If a player plays defense the majority of the time, he'll only play offense in certain situations, and vise-versa.

orange machine
08-21-2013, 06:41 PM
The key at the 3A level is to rotate players in and out. If you can do that regularly without much dropoff in play, it definitely helps to limit injuries, and gives your second string players in-game experience which will improve their skills. We have several players that go both ways, but they are limited in the number of plays they play on offense and defense usually. If a player plays defense the majority of the time, he'll only play offense in certain situations, and vise-versa.
That's what I mean im not saying play every down both ways.