PDA

View Full Version : Bench Strength....

Bullaholic
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
As we approach another season, I have read some for the numbers reported by some teams for kids in their programs, and I am always reminded of how important the numbers are to the really good programs. Smaller, and even some mid-range enrollment/turnout schools, are always hard pressed due to player attrition over the course of a season---especially if they play very many physically tough teams. Most teams are lucky if they have an experienced backup QB, and this position seems harder and harder to develop for coaches every season. Some teams are especially fortunate when they have talented classes that stay intact into their junior and senior years---2013 Argyle comes to mind this year. Of course, the other great advantage of bench strength is the ability to wear out thinner-bench opponents late in games. Bridgeport did this a lot in years past by platooning and sending receivers all over the field on nearly every play, and won a lot of games late. If your team's bench is thin, there is a real concern about getting "beat up" early in a playoff run. Hope most of the players can avoid the major injury bug and be around for the really big games---no fun to look forward to watching your favorite teams play when they are a lot less than 100%.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
As we approach another season, I have read some for the numbers reported by some teams for kids in their programs, and I am always reminded of how important the numbers are to the really good programs. Smaller, and even some mid-range enrollment/turnout schools, are always hard pressed due to player attrition over the course of a season---especially if they play very many physically tough teams. Most teams are lucky if they have an experienced backup QB, and this position seems harder and harder to develop for coaches every season. Some teams are especially fortunate when they have talented classes that stay intact into their junior and senior years---2013 Argyle comes to mind this year. Of course, the other great advantage of bench strength is the ability to wear out thinner-bench opponents late in games. Bridgeport did this a lot in years past by platooning and sending receivers all over the field on nearly every play, and won a lot of games late. If your team's bench is thin, there is a real concern about getting "beat up" early in a playoff run. Hope most of the players can avoid the major injury bug and be around for the really big games---no fun to look forward to watching your favorite teams play when they are a lot less than 100%.

I years past Celina has always had a lot of depth to be able to play players one way. This year might be a little different and some players might have to go both ways. One thing ive been noticing a lot is teams that are really good have players going both way. I know Carthage always has 3 or 4 players going both ways. I remember watching Carthage and Brownwood in 2010 in the playoffs and they both had players going both ways. Allen had two players going both ways last year. To me if they are good and can handle it then play them both ways especially if it makes the team better. You don't have to play them every down.

hollywood
08-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I years past Celina has always had a lot of depth to be able to play players one way. This year might be a little different and some players might have to go both ways. One thing ive been noticing a lot is teams that are really good have players going both way. I know Carthage always has 3 or 4 players going both ways. I remember watching Carthage and Brownwood in 2010 in the playoffs and they both had players going both ways. Allen had two players going both ways last year. To me if they are good and can handle it then play them both ways especially if it makes the team better. You don't have to play them every down.

Stephenville had 2-way players last year in certain situations. Put the best on the field. Gunter (6'3") and Stidham (6'3") both came in at corners when defending inside the 25. RB Westbrook went both ways playing RB 90% and LB in the redzone. Put the play makers on the field during crunch time. ;) Mookie (6'2" FS) will play some WR this season to mix it up.

D'Highlander
08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
So, how much you bench? :smoker:

hollywood
08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
'Bout 350! lol

Remember the Jerky Boys?

Guy on the phone asks, "How much you bench?"
Frank Rizzo replies, "'Bout 350!"
Guy responds, "Ok, about 350 pieces... "
Frank Rizzo replies, "350 pieces?1?.... NO Jack---.. 350 pounds baby, 350 POUNDS!"

Good times man.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
So, how much you bench? :smoker: :dispntd: thought it was how much we benched in our hs years......310 tops for me

panfan
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
:dispntd: thought it was how much we benched in our hs years......310 tops for me

our line coach always said - its not what you bench but what you can squat - besides he said, linemen make better lovers. They got more thrust! His words - not mine. LOL!

Cam
08-20-2013, 04:14 PM
our line coach always said - its not what you bench but what you can squat - besides he said, linemen make better lovers. They got more thrust! His words - not mine. LOL!

yeah...but the linemen also build sheds over their tools so thrusting in mid air don't do any good!...His words - not mine.....:eek:

orange machine
08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I heard the other day a one of Celina's defensive tackles benched around 500 lbs and squatted 700 that's a crap ton of weight.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Stephenville had 2-way players last year in certain situations. Put the best on the field. Gunter (6'3") and Stidham (6'3") both came in at corners when defending inside the 25. RB Westbrook went both ways playing RB 90% and LB in the redzone. Put the play makers on the field during crunch time. ;) Mookie (6'2" FS) will play some WR this season to mix it up.

Its just smart to do that, play your best players. For instance if you have a dominate offensive player and he can play defense to let them play defense 10 or 15 snaps a game if it helps you. Like I said Carthage always has players playing both ways all game long and they are obviously very salty!

hollywood
08-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Yep.. OM, my senior year, we had a RB/LB bench 500 lbs and ran a 4.6 40! :eek: No joke. He transfered in from Tyler John Tyler his soph year. He mirrored Earl Campbell! Beast!

orange machine
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Yep.. OM, my senior year, we had a RB/LB bench 500 lbs and ran a 4.6 40! :eek: No joke. He transfered in from Tyler John Tyler his soph year. He mirrored Earl Campbell! Beast!

One of the biggest runningbacks ive ever seen in high school football was Jason Bragg in Stephenville back in the early 90's. That dude was a monster! I was only in 6th grade when I saw him play against Sherman, but he looked like he was about 6'3 240 from what I remember.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
One of the biggest runningbacks ive ever seen in high school football was Jason Bragg in Stephenville back in the early 90's. That dude was a monster!

Oh yea and Bill Odell from Stephenville I think in 94 or 95 he was massive also.

Gone Fishing
08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
So, how much you bench? :smoker:

:dispntd: thought it was how much we benched in our hs years......310 tops for me

My kid just went through testing where he is playing and he did 225 - 5 times. May not sound that great ,but he is a safety and only weighs 167 !!! He can max 295. Maybe his middle name should have been Ant. Just saying....

orange machine
08-20-2013, 10:04 PM
My kid just went through testing where he is playing and he did 225 - 5 times. May not sound that great ,but he is a safety and only weighs 167 !!! He can max 295. Maybe his middle name should have been Ant. Just saying....

That's a ton of weight for a 167lb kid.
Its crazy I graduated in 2000 and if you benched 300lbs you were a beast. Now 13 years later that 300 is 400 to 450lbs.

orange machine
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
We had one guy benching 350 and everybody was amazed.

bobcat1
08-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Who was #26? He was a stud. I think he played DE and fullback.