PDA

View Full Version : Bellville vs. Yoakum Scrimmage

OLE'BULL
08-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Does anybody have any details on how the scrimmage went? I dont think the 1's were going to get many snaps, but how did they look the few plays they were in? How did our depth look? Injury free? QB? Etc.?

MJMbrahmas10
08-19-2013, 05:09 PM
My big question is at qb. Read in the paper it's between 2 players and both are about equal.

I'm guessing all the posters with the inside scoop are gone?

Manso/V8
08-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I was out of town and didn't make it to the scrimmage, but from what I was told.............the defense looked pretty solid, I hope that is true because several starters graduated last year. I was also heard the offense was OK, but hasn't really gelled yet and has some work to do. I think we were in the same situation early in the year last year. That is normal stuff for scrimmages and early games. The key is to keep getting better. We did that last year, but I don't think we ever peaked last year. I always felt like we never had that "great" game.........and that needed to happen against Navasota.

The Brahmas have a couple of big spots to fill on the line from last year, the strong size gaurd and the TE, the Brahmas have the kids to step up. I think the starting left gaurd from last year moved to strong side gaurd. He saw quite of bit of varsity time as a sophomore and started every game, and did well last year as a junior. The starting center from last year is probably going to be at TE. He is good sized kid that moves well and has good ball skills. He is a really good basketball player, that usually translates well to TE. The kid that was slated to start at center is out with a sprain that happened before the Yoakum scrimmage. He should be back before district. I think the second string center is also out with an injury, but I'm not sure.

I think we will be fine at QB. Earlier artciles in The Times mentioned maybe putting the tailback Parker at QB, but I understand that right now it is between Streider and Zapalac. Both are talented kids with good ball skills, and both can pass pretty well too. I am sure the coaches will get it figured out.
All the running backs return as seniors, so that is good.

We need to get tuned up and ready for when the El Campo Ricebirds roll in to town. I think that is the second district game!

YTBulldogs
08-20-2013, 06:33 AM
I dont think the 1's were going to get many snaps?

Hey Ole'Bull. Yeah, neither team played the 1's much. Lot's of sub's. As it should be. Not bad looking for the opening scrimmage.

OLE'BULL
08-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Seems like it was as expected. Glad we didn't keep the 1's in too long. Hopefully we will decide on a QB 1 soon and let him get the majority of the reps in practice and the final scrimmage. The season is sneaking up on us, and I would hate to waste valuable practice time on a QB who will not be the regular guy. I am always interested in who the "sleeper" will be each year. There always seems to be one. This year, it would help if he was one of the QB's or a defensive lineman or a secondary guy.

Bull's-eye
08-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I am always interested in who the "sleeper" will be each year. There always seems to be one. This year, it would help if he was one of the QB's or a defensive lineman or a secondary guy.

Hearing some good things about a freshman DT.

Red Bull
08-21-2013, 12:55 PM

You are right Bulls Eye. That Jackson kid is going to be a stud. I saw he got banged up a little, but heard he will be fine.

Bull's-eye
08-21-2013, 05:51 PM
You are right Bulls Eye. That Jackson kid is going to be a stud. I saw he got banged up a little, but heard he will be fine.

I also like the way he ran with the ball, might be a good little weapon for short yardage
or goal line situations.

OLE'BULL
08-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Yep, I heard the same thing. He also got a mention in the Times this week. I like how Rowe is not afraid to go against the grain and have freshman on the varsity. He will even start them if they are capable. We had a freshman D End last year, and looks like we might have a frosh D Tackle starting this year. Filling the pipeline!