PDA

View Full Version : Turf fields

CenTexSports
08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I went to a scrimmage Saturday at Chilton and they now have a turf field (a very nice one too). My question is why aren't more 2a and 3a schools doing this. On Sunday I mentioned this at the golf course and a principle from another small 1a school told me that these fields were getting more and more cost effective.

He said that if a school has a good flat location that does not require much groundwork that they can be installed for around $600,000 and that this can be paid out for 10 years interest free. So for $60,000 a year you get turf and can eliminate one grounds person, chemicals, watering and maybe some equipment. Looks like a win/win.

Any thoughts?

Tejastrue
08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
It is happening..both Cuero and Navarro have put down turf this year. Wimberley has had it for several years now.

orange machine
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I could be wrong but to me it seems more players at all levels are having more acl injuries with the turf.

hollywood
08-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Stephenville has turf. Well, it's actually Tarleton's field but they call it home. ;)

Ever played on Omni turf or Astro turf? Horrible! The filler is sand. The nap is short and feels like sandpaper. I still have scars from that junk. Scrimmaged Bastrop one year at Austin Westlake and thought I lost my "stuff" on a play where I dove and tackled a WR on the sideline. I had to look down to make sure! :eek: Anyway, more injuries were caused due to that stuff than the "new and improved" field turf. As close to the real thing as it gets.

Cam
08-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm thinkin' of switchin' to turf on my yard!.....I'm tired of mowin' that thing!.....Wore out one John Deere ridin' mower....now workin' on bustin' a Cub Cadet.......:doh:

regaleagle
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Heck, Cam....you might even be able to go to one of those companies that replaces the old turf with the new stuff and buy some second-hand used turf for pennies on the dollar. And don't forget to git some of those fake rose bushes when you're at it.

Old Green
08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
2A Refugio just finished installing turf on their field.

Rabid Cougar
08-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Heck, Cam....you might even be able to go to one of those companies that replaces the old turf with the new stuff and buy some second-hand used turf for pennies on the dollar. And don't forget to git some of those fake rose bushes when you're at it.

Pink Flamingo and Yard Gnome is also a requisite.

Cam
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Good advise.....I don't know about the roses though....never had much luck with them!.....even the fake ones!!!!!!:crazy1:

Cam
08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Pink Flamingo and Yard Gnome is also a requisite.

woo-hoo!!...I love pink flamingos....but gnomes give me the creeps!!.....and by the way, who the hell decided to spell gnomes with a "g"??.....that's annoyin' as hell!...I can't keep myself from pronouncing it, GAA-nome.....

BullDawgDad
08-20-2013, 11:02 AM
woo-hoo!!...I love pink flamingos....but gnomes give me the creeps!!.....and by the way, who the hell decided to spell gnomes with a "g"??.....that's annoyin' as hell!...I can't keep myself from pronouncing it, GAA-nome.....

Cam...same people that spelled gnats...doesn't make any sense....:confused:

Rabid Cougar
08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Need Combat Yard Gnomes

http://www.google.com/search?q=combat+yard+gnomes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SZgTUt-TNOf9iwL7voGgBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=881&safe=active

Cam
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Need Combat Yard Gnomes

http://www.google.com/search?q=combat+yard+gnomes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SZgTUt-TNOf9iwL7voGgBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=881&safe=active

Holy crap!...but they don't like pink flamingos!! 639 .....and that chicken being bayoneted!....my neighbor wouldn't like me for sure!

BullBoy
08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Bridgeport is getting turf, will be ready for next weeks game against Alvarado!:1popcorn:

http://i44.tinypic.com/124vexu.jpg

Pretty cool looking!

Tejastrue
08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Stephenville has turf. Well, it's actually Tarleton's field but they call it home. ;)

Ever played on Omni turf or Astro turf? Horrible! The filler is sand. The nap is short and feels like sandpaper. I still have scars from that junk. Scrimmaged Bastrop one year at Austin Westlake and thought I lost my "stuff" on a play where I dove and tackled a WR on the sideline. I had to look down to make sure! :eek: Anyway, more injuries were caused due to that stuff than the "new and improved" field turf. As close to the real thing as it gets.

They have indeed come a long way from those thrilling days.

slpybear the bullfan
08-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I am glad you posted that BullBoy! Was hoping someone would.

Yes, our ISD got in on some of that 10 year loan action. Looking forward to watching the Bulls on this week in week out.

Bridgeport is getting turf, will be ready for next weeks game against Alvarado!:1popcorn:

http://i44.tinypic.com/124vexu.jpg

Pretty cool looking!

orange machine
08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I am glad you posted that BullBoy! Was hoping someone would.

Yes, our ISD got in on some of that 10 year loan action. Looking forward to watching the Bulls on this week in week out.

Celina is supposed to scrimmage their tomorrow is that not going to happen?

orange machine
08-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Ttt now