PDA

View Full Version : D26 Scrimmages

Dog_e_styl
08-18-2013, 08:29 AM
We lost 2-0 to Bellville. Work in progress. Especially secondary against the pass. "Q" from Refugio should give them plenty of deep looks this Friday in scrimmage two for the Dogs to get the kinks out. Will say this team will be very good when the games count though. More positives than negs in this first outing.:2thumbsup

Seen Cuero against Lockhart last night. Hopkins in mid season form. OL not there yet. QB is ok, and Hopkins (real deal) running will create him to be successful in quick passes. Not sure the line can protect deep drops, yet. "D" is aggressive, and pretty solid.

Pud, what was the score ya'll put up on Liberty Hill with that potent offense your fielding this year?

How did GZ, Giddings and Smithville do in their scrimmages?

YTBulldogs
08-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Dog, what's Lockhart look like this year? I think they made a HC change there recently.

Dog_e_styl
08-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Dog, what's Lockhart look like this year? I think they made a HC change there recently.

Like normal. True, not a good test of what ya got. But, if Cuero can get that OL down, they'll be just as potent as LaGrange on that side of the ball behind Hopkins. I say the Gob's are a playoff team out of D26. East will be a better judgment of things next Thursday in Cuero.

Snotbubbles
08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
What, Pud not on here yet with his take? Come on, give us some insight of LH scrimmage.

See Gonzalez is mum too. No news usually means bad news. Who them Injuns scrimmage, Nixon?

Pudlugger
08-18-2013, 07:41 PM
What, Pud not on here yet with his take? Come on, give us some insight of LH scrimmage.

See Gonzalez is mum too. No news usually means bad news. Who them Injuns scrimmage, Nixon?

Sorry,health issues plus dsl down has prevented me from reporting on my team.. t sound
like the offense needs to adjust to a new style of pla with a run and gun type qb. the Leps will be fine.

Gontex
08-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Ole Snot still hasn't learned any manners. Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird butt again, Snot. Apaches scrimmaged Hallettsville who only lost to the eventual 2A-D1 state champ last year. According to the Cannon, Apaches outscored them 2-1.

YTBulldogs
08-18-2013, 08:00 PM
I have some of the upcoming, D26 final tunes ups this week and times.

Vic. East @ Cuero. Thursday. Fresh @ 5PM, JV 6PM, Varsity 7PM

Refugio @ Yoakum. Friday. JV @ 6PM, Varsity @ 7PM. Yoakum Fresh will scrimmage on Thursday, TBD.

If you know your teams info on final scrimmage, mind posting. Thanks, and good luck D26.

YTBulldogs
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Snot, post in your district thread. O, ya'll don't have one. LOL.

Yes Gontex, HV very solid again this year. We will have our hands full once again against them I'm sure.

YTBulldogs
08-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Be nice to see Cuero's new field turf this Thursday evening. And Clem, maybe you can pay up your bet from last years Cuero/Yoakum game while I'm there? Say, Ruby's perhaps? I'm hungry. Heard it's a good place to eat. Never ate there yet. Miss Don Bravo's for sure though. And them ice cold rita's.

hookandladder
08-18-2013, 08:43 PM
I did not get to go to are scrimmage against LH however was told our D looked very solid and our offense seemed to be looking solid as well also, someone from LH posted on another tread LG will be a force this year. Snotbubbles just FYI- Our slow footed QB who you ragged on last year has graduated and our new QB has some good speed , so we sure be OK this year.

Pudlugger
08-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Sorry,health issues plus dsl down has prevented me from reporting on my team.. t sound
like the offense needs to adjust to a new style of pla with a run and gun type qb. the Leps will be fine.

Haha I should know not to try and post with my wife's iPad! Too many typos and no way to correct them with my 10 thumbs LOL. Anyway, my dsl is back on line so let me respond regarding the Leps.They are running a different offense now with a new qb at the helm. With Vinklarek the Leps had a pro-style pocket qb with a strong arm and size who could run out of the pocket and break tackles but was not particularly fast. That being said, when Logan pulled the ball down and took off down field he consistently gained 10-20 yards before going down. Now we have a smaller, faster qb capable of breaking it to the house. With our strong o line we should be able to get our offense going within a sort amount of time. The Leps will not throw the ball as much as in recent past but will be able to keep the defense off balance with several good receivers and Davis's ability to get the ball to them. From what I have heard about the LH scrimmage our defense is coming along well. I will not be able to attend the Lockhart scrimmage so hopefully the Lep contingent on this board will keep us all up to date on the team's progress.

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Haha I should know not to try and post with my wife's iPad! Too many typos and no way to correct them with my 10 thumbs LOL. Anyway, my dsl is back on line so let me respond regarding the Leps.They are running a different offense now with a new qb at the helm. With Vinklarek the Leps had a pro-style pocket qb with a strong arm and size who could run out of the pocket and break tackles but was not particularly fast. That being said, when Logan pulled the ball down and took off down field he consistently gained 10-20 yards before going down. Now we have a smaller, faster qb capable of breaking it to the house. With our strong o line we should be able to get our offense going within a sort amount of time. The Leps will not throw the ball as much as in recent past but will be able to keep the defense off balance with several good receivers and Davis's ability to get the ball to them. From what I have heard about the LH scrimmage our defense is coming along well. I will not be able to attend the Lockhart scrimmage so hopefully the Lep contingent on this board will keep us all up to date on the team's progress.

Thanks Pud. I had heard ya'll shut LH out. LH posters note saying nothing of the scrimmage either, so--it must of been bad. So, that projected nasty "D" of ya'lls appears already set to go. LH normally can't be stopped. Did they change their offense I wonder?

buff4ever
08-19-2013, 10:53 AM
I would say that the giddings/lampasas scrimmage was productive and telling of where we are at with the young talent, and what needs to be worked on. There was some good from both sides of the ball. both 1st and 2nd defense stopped lampasas pretty well other than one play each where they popped the full back for long scores. Both offenses were able to move the ball and score. I would say that things remained pretty vanilla as you would expect in a first scrimmage. Anxious to see how the boys progress over this week. With a young team, you just want to see progress and improvement every week early in the season.

jrhernandez7
08-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Smithville had a good showing against La Vernia. The Tigers moved the ball well & showed great promise. The D played with great emotion, & a swagger.
The Tigers will make the 10 min trip west to take on fellow county rival 4a Bastrop , in the final tune up for the season. This should a great test, the bears certainly have the athletes to make this one a great match up. Each side will have a big time college recruit at their disposal. With Bastrop having a Texas DB commitment.
It should be a intense scrimmage, the pads will be popping in this one!

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I would say that the giddings/lampasas scrimmage was productive and telling of where we are at with the young talent, and what needs to be worked on. There was some good from both sides of the ball. both 1st and 2nd defense stopped lampasas pretty well other than one play each where they popped the full back for long scores. Both offenses were able to move the ball and score. I would say that things remained pretty vanilla as you would expect in a first scrimmage. Anxious to see how the boys progress over this week. With a young team, you just want to see progress and improvement every week early in the season.

:iagree:

Thanks for report buff.

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Smithville had a good showing against La Vernia. The Tigers moved the ball well & showed great promise. The D played with great emotion, & a swagger.
The Tigers will make the 10 min trip west to take on fellow county rival 4a Bastrop , in the final tune up for the season. This should a great test, the bears certainly have the athletes to make this one a great match up. Each side will have a big time college recruit at their disposal. With Bastrop having a Texas DB commitment.
It should be a intense scrimmage, the pads will be popping in this one!

Jr, how did LaVernia look? They'll have no issues really in that district other than Somerset. Thanks for recap of outing #1. Great to see SV fielding a solid team. We certainly thank them Tigers for last year's win over Gtown. Them Apaches have our number.:ack!:

jrhernandez7
08-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Jr, how did LaVernia look? They'll have no issues really in that district other than Somerset. Thanks for recap of outing #1. Great to see SV fielding a solid team. We certainly thank them Tigers for last year's win over Gtown. Them Apaches have our number.:ack!:

Smithville had a good showing against La Vernia. The Tigers moved the ball well & showed great promise. The D played with great emotion, & a swagger. The Tigers make the 10 min trip east to take on fellow county rival 4a Bastrop in the final tune up for the season. This should a great test, the bears differently have the athletes to make this one a great match up. Each side will have a big time college recruit at their disposal. With Bastrop having a Texas DB commitment. It should be a intense scrimmage, the pads will be popping in this one!

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Smithville had a good showing against La Vernia. The Tigers moved the ball well & showed great promise. The D played with great emotion, & a swagger. The Tigers make the 10 min trip east to take on fellow county rival 4a Bastrop in the final tune up for the season. This should a great test, the bears differently have the athletes to make this one a great match up. Each side will have a big time college recruit at their disposal. With Bastrop having a Texas DB commitment. It should be a intense scrimmage, the pads will be popping in this one!

Try it again. How did LaVernia look Jr?

Dog_e_styl
08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Cuero's Hopkins took one of his two TD's from about 75-80 yards out, against LH. Not sure anyone can chase him down from behind. Think they seen enough out of him. I'd protect the season's future now, and give the youngeons some carry's. Be shocked to see him run against VE Thursday. Hopkins is a beast. Just sayin.

jrhernandez7
08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Try it again. How did LaVernia look Jr?
Hit the paste button lol.
They have some good looking athletes. A little size & a little speed. They Started off sloppy but settled down a bit as the scrimmage progressed. La Vernia never really got into any rhythm offensively. Their O & D lines come off too high, but are easy fixes.

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Trust me Dog. We are well aware of Mr. Hopkins, and the talent around him at Cuero. j/s

You going over Thursday? Open house Weds I see.

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Hit the paste button lol.
They have some good looking athletes. A little size & a little speed. Started of sloppy but settled down a bit as the scrimmage progressed. Their O & D lines come off too high, but are easy fixes.

Thank you Jr. Bo will get that stuff lined out as usual I'm sure for the Bears. LV always play fundamental ball.

jrhernandez7
08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Thank you Jr. Bo will get that stuff lined out as usual I'm sure for the Bears. LV always play fundamental ball.
Smithville still has a way to go before they open district @ Yoakum. Which is going to be a huge game for both schools. Winner gets in & loser will be @ home IMO. My Tigers just have to keep improving every week.
The non-district schedule is brutal! With 4a Marble Falls, Liberty Hill, Rockdale, & Sealy all on the schedule , after they open with Lampasas.
If my Tigers can make it to district healthy, they will be battle tested & ready to make a run at the playoffs.

YTBulldogs
08-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Smithville still has a way to go before they open district @ Yoakum. Which is going to be a huge game for both schools. Winner gets in & loser will be @ home IMO. My Tigers just have to keep improving every week.
The non-district schedule is brutal! With 4a Marble Falls, Liberty Hill, Rockdale, & Sealy all on the schedule , after they open with Lampasas.
If my Tigers can make it to district healthy, they will be battle tested & ready to make a run at the playoffs.

:iagree:

Gobbler Fan
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
The field is looking good and the new 8 lane track is coming along nicely and should be ready soon.

http://www.gobblersports.com/images/stories/stadium_const2.jpg

YTBulldogs
08-20-2013, 06:29 AM
The field is looking good and the new 8 lane track is coming along nicely and should be ready soon.

http://www.gobblersports.com/images/stories/stadium_const2.jpg

Look forward to seeing it at the open "field" house Wednesday GF. Good job and well deserving to the athletes over there.

Gontex
08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Apaches are scrimmaging at Columbus this Friday evening.

1st and goal
08-20-2013, 11:13 PM
FWIW, the gorilla on top of the hill in LG is ready to play football. Pud, did you go paint that thing?

Pudlugger
08-21-2013, 07:39 AM
FWIW, the gorilla on top of the hill in LG is ready to play football. Pud, did you go paint that thing?

HaHa..no that is done by the lady who lives there. The Gorilla knows the Leps are ready to rumble.

buff4ever
08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Pud, that gorilla doesn't know anything. It is either concrete or plastic. :)

hookandladder
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM

That Gorilla plays all sports at LG, a well rounded athlete.

Pudlugger
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM

It's hard concrete...like a Rock!

Blue42
08-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Hay I have seen that Gorilla in a dress before (sexy)

YTBulldogs
08-21-2013, 05:12 PM

:inlove:

Pudlugger
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM

The gorilla is inclusive representing all three genders equally in order to further our goals in establishing a diverse environment for all to feel free to express their inner feelings and self identify their gender silly.:)

Blue42
08-22-2013, 05:41 AM
So what your saying is that is one of them there California Gorillas.

hookandladder
08-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Yes, that Gorilla goes both ways. It supports all athlete's during the year, a team player.

YTBulldogs
08-22-2013, 07:25 AM
The gorilla is inclusive representing all three genders equally in order to further our goals in establishing a diverse environment for all to feel free to express their inner feelings and self identify their gender silly.:)

LOL. A weak wristed monkey.

1st and goal
08-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know if Giddings is scrimmaging Bryan Rudder today at the Bryan High football field off of Briarcrest? I'm thinking I heard this somewhere.

1st and goal
08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know if Giddings is scrimmaging Bryan Rudder today at the Bryan High football field off of Briarcrest? I'm thinking I heard this somewhere.

Yes, according to this.
http://www.giddingsisd.net/ourpages/auto/2012/8/16/39516325/Football%20Schedule%202013%20-%20Giddings.pdf

jrhernandez7
08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
The Smithville varsity Tigers had a learning experience, & a conditioning test tonight in Bastrop.
Bastrop was deep in numbers, They filled out a full third string O & D. That all got a session of snaps in against the Tigers. Smithville depth wise had problems filling a 2nd team O & D. That really put a strain on the coaches to keep our players fresh & healthy.
Early on & threw out the long controlled scrimmage, the Tigers held their own against the Bears. I was really pleased with our play. O & D lines had movement at times, just have to be more consistent. The skilled positions showed glimpses, but I would like to see more North & south running.
Towards the end of the continuous hour & a half controlled scrimmage, fatigue was setting in for the Tigers. That was seen relevant In the live quarter. The Bears busted loose a couple long Touchdowns. One on the ground, a missed LB assignment. The other a broken coverage pass, on 3&22.
Smithville is still a work in progress moving forward. The Tiger coaches need to preach mental toughness when tired, especially in the 4th Qt throughout non-district. Smithville does have the pieces in place to win any game on their schedule.
My Tigers should be dangerous come October!