PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Texans 2013

Tejastrue
08-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Thought I would get this started. Nice interview with our new Head Coach.

http://www.thisweekinwimberley.com/

Cam
08-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Well Tejas....guess it don't make much sense to start some banter for this coming week's scrimmage now does it??......after all, it's only a scrimmage.....shucks! I do miss going to Wimberley.....such a neat and pretty town!.....

Manso/V8
08-17-2013, 11:45 PM
"More kids ran under 5 flat in the forty than we've ever had"

Tejastrue
08-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Well Tejas....guess it don't make much sense to start some banter for this coming week's scrimmage now does it??......after all, it's only a scrimmage.....shucks! I do miss going to Wimberley.....such a neat and pretty town!.....

It's all good Cam. I believe we had a little disagreement last year about how our scrimmage went down. Now we invade the fine town of Burnet. I know you must have some insight for fine dining. What say you?

Tejastrue
08-18-2013, 01:09 AM

That's big news here in the land of HCS..otherwise known as 'Hill Country Speed'...:wave:

Manso/V8
08-18-2013, 01:39 AM
That's big news here in the land of HCS..otherwise known as 'Hill Country Speed'...:wave:

Is that uphill or downhill?

Tejastrue
08-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Depends on who you talk to...lol

Gone Fishing
08-18-2013, 09:45 AM

LOL, I don't think that came out right Manso..... Interview jetters..... I can attest that in some past years WT had more speed than this year. LOL.

Cam
08-18-2013, 11:26 AM
It's all good Cam. I believe we had a little disagreement last year about how our scrimmage went down. Now we invade the fine town of Burnet. I know you must have some insight for fine dining. What say you?

Well, Greendawg would tell you The Maxican on 281 just south of town is the best place to eat in Burnet. But if you like a serious chicken fried steak or other home cookin', check out Crazy Gals Cafe just west of 281 on Hwy 29. I personally like the chicken fried chicken plate with mushrooms and all. Really good. If you want steak or maybe some pie, go just a little further west of Crazy Gals to another new hole in the wall, Cafe 23. For a really good sammich besides Subway, Tea-Liscious on the square is a neat place. For venison and a cold one, gotta go to Greendawg's house in Bertram! And he loves to share!......

hollywood
08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, Greendawg would tell you The Maxican on 281 just south of town is the best place to eat in Burnet. But if you like a serious chicken fried steak or other home cookin', check out Crazy Gals Cafe just west of 281 on Hwy 29. I personally like the chicken fried chicken plate with mushrooms and all. Really good. If you want steak or maybe some pie, go just a little further west of Crazy Gals to another new hole in the wall, Cafe 23. For a really good sammich besides Subway, Tea-Liscious on the square is a neat place. For venison and a cold one, gotta go to Greendawg's house in Bertram! And he loves to share!......

Ahhhh, the Maxican. I loved it. Tejastrue, since you'll be driving in from down south, there's a lady there who'll give you a back rub when you get there! ;) Very good southern hospitality. And good food!

Tejastrue
08-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Cam and Hollywood. What about fajitas? Since we moved from the DFW area many moons ago I've not had anything close to the ones Amaya's Grill served. I think they are still there on the town square in Lancaster. I'm also a big chicken fried chicken fan so that sounds good. Then again you will never see me turn down a back rub from a lady. :)

hollywood
08-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks Cam and Hollywood. What about fajitas? Since we moved from the DFW area many moons ago I've not had anything close to the ones Amaya's Grill served. I think they are still there on the town square in Lancaster. I'm also a big chicken fried chicken fan so that sounds good. Then again you will never see me turn down a back rub from a lady. :)

LOL, ok. Well I think the fajitas are good. I ate there for a pre marathon meal. So I didn't go all out! ;) Food and service were great. There's a pizza place in town off of 281 that has excellent pizza IMO. Kinda stumbled upon that one last year.

Tejastrue
08-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Hey Cam..you know the scrimmage start time?

Cam
08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
LOL, ok. Well I think the fajitas are good. I ate there for a pre marathon meal. So I didn't go all out! ;) Food and service were great. There's a pizza place in town off of 281 that has excellent pizza IMO. Kinda stumbled upon that one last year.

Yep pretty good pizza.....Texas Pizza Company....

Cam
08-18-2013, 08:39 PM

I sure don't.....nobody tells me anything!!....

Gone Fishing
08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
As far as scrimmages go, I think this is a very important scrimmage for WT's and they need to "win it". Burnet claimed the " win it " last year because the live quarter. Texans need to make a big showing in the controlled part and win the live quarter for a big Mo-Jo boost for them and the doubters. Wimberley has alot of talent, but as I mentioned before, I still just can't get a feel yet myself. Not sure they can Thurs. because I do know Burnet is going to be very good this year with many weapons, But would be big for us if we can hang all night. A big test will be our secondary against a very good QB. I believe our DL and LB's will be good against most. I didn't get to make Floresville but sure hope to make this one....I'm thinking Maxican myself by the way!

Tejastrue
08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I understand why you feel they need to have a great showing on Thursday. I remember a couple of years ago we had a horrible first scrimmage and an okay 2nd I think. That turned out alright. Not that we are anwhere close to the 2011 team. I have trouble putting too much emphasis on these scrimmages probably because I'm more 'outside' looking in but I do like to watch them to get a glimpse of some of the new kids. From the interview I take it that we may have more kids on the roster. Would you know the numbers GF? Surely it's better than last year. Okay, hopefully.

Cam
08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
LOL, I don't think that came out right Manso..... Interview jetters..... I can attest that in some past years WT had more speed than this year. LOL.

:eek: Interview jetters??......sounds more like a cocky sumbitch to me!......Definition of jetter: "One who struts; one who bears himself jauntily"!!!......:eek:

.....wait a minute GF...did you mean jitters??.......:vrycnfsd:

BullDawgDad
08-19-2013, 01:36 PM

5:00pm Fresh/JV and 6:30pm for Varsity

Cam
08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
5:00pm Fresh/JV and 6:30pm for Varsity

Hey BDD, any idea how the freshmen did in their scrimmage?

BullDawgDad
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Hey BDD, any idea how the freshmen did in their scrimmage?

Hey Cam...I heard just ok. They are working a new QB. Kiser opted not to play freshman ball. JV was dominate. I only caught the last 10 mins or so of JV scrimmage. You coming out on Thursday?

snaxet
08-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I understand why you feel they need to have a great showing on Thursday. I remember a couple of years ago we had a horrible first scrimmage and an okay 2nd I think. That turned out alright. Not that we are anwhere close to the 2011 team. I have trouble putting too much emphasis on these scrimmages probably because I'm more 'outside' looking in but I do like to watch them to get a glimpse of some of the new kids. From the interview I take it that we may have more kids on the roster. Would you know the numbers GF? Surely it's better than last year. Okay, hopefully.

Not sure we will carry more than last year on varsity. Looked like we had 34 suited out on Saturday in Floresville with 1 or 2 not suited out for a total of 36. May move up a couple more from JV but I suspect we will end up somewhere around 38. That is not much over what we carried last year. Nevertheless, I thought we were clearly ahead of where we were this time last year. The defense was solid throughout the scrimmage. Floresville never really mounted a drive and we were swarming to the ball. Some good hits and an interception that would have been a walk in TD. The good news is that we looked solid without Lambert ever lining up at linebacker on defense. To me, that was something I did not expect. Why is that significant? Because he will be able to focus primarily on offense and that is critical for us to have success on that side of the ball. He was in on only 5 or 6 plays and each time he touched the ball, he made something happen. The offense looked good on one scoring drive but outside of that they struggled. The receivers dropped a few passes, and we tried a few too many deep passes that were either not catchable or were dropped. Those matters will be corrected. It was also tough to get going with all the substitutions. The offense has a long way to go but there were no interceptions thrown by the first team, very few penalties, and there is no question that the offense will depend on Lambert to carry the load. He will be the difference maker. Was very impressed with the freshman team who totally dominated Floresville. The JV team played Floresville even during the first part of the scrimmage but by the end I thought they really stepped it up. Overall it was a good first scrimmage. Not sure about Burnet scrimmage. Still a number of decisions that need to be made. Our secondary will be tested this week, but I actually feel like we have a chance to be much better in the secondary than we have in the past. I will also be anxious to see if the offense can get going, but there is no doubt that we have a talented group of receivers and some good backs especially when Lambert is in. The line will have to come around but I feel really good about where we are right now. Burnet scrimmage might not give us a clear picture but I will tell you that when Llano comes to town the Texans will be ready.

Cam
08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Hey Cam...I heard just ok. They are working a new QB. Kiser opted not to play freshman ball. JV was dominate. I only caught the last 10 mins or so of JV scrimmage. You coming out on Thursday?

Yep my boy and I will be there....Yeah, I had a feeling little Kiser wasn't playing. I don't recall seeing him in 7 on 7 either...I know he wants to play receiver and not QB. But I also know he loves basketball..maybe that's his thing......Hope he comes back next year and plays all the sports!...

Tejastrue
08-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome back Snaxet. Thanks for your input on the Floresville scrimmage.

ogg
08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Not sure we will carry more than last year on varsity. Looked like we had 34 suited out on Saturday in Floresville with 1 or 2 not suited out for a total of 36. May move up a couple more from JV but I suspect we will end up somewhere around 38. That is not much over what we carried last year. Nevertheless, I thought we were clearly ahead of where we were this time last year. The defense was solid throughout the scrimmage. Floresville never really mounted a drive and we were swarming to the ball. Some good hits and an interception that would have been a walk in TD. The good news is that we looked solid without Lambert ever lining up at linebacker on defense. To me, that was something I did not expect. Why is that significant? Because he will be able to focus primarily on offense and that is critical for us to have success on that side of the ball. He was in on only 5 or 6 plays and each time he touched the ball, he made something happen. The offense looked good on one scoring drive but outside of that they struggled. The receivers dropped a few passes, and we tried a few too many deep passes that were either not catchable or were dropped. Those matters will be corrected. It was also tough to get going with all the substitutions. The offense has a long way to go but there were no interceptions thrown by the first team, very few penalties, and there is no question that the offense will depend on Lambert to carry the load. He will be the difference maker. Was very impressed with the freshman team who totally dominated Floresville. The JV team played Floresville even during the first part of the scrimmage but by the end I thought they really stepped it up. Overall it was a good first scrimmage. Not sure about Burnet scrimmage. Still a number of decisions that need to be made. Our secondary will be tested this week, but I actually feel like we have a chance to be much better in the secondary than we have in the past. I will also be anxious to see if the offense can get going, but there is no doubt that we have a talented group of receivers and some good backs especially when Lambert is in. The line will have to come around but I feel really good about where we are right now. Burnet scrimmage might not give us a clear picture but I will tell you that when Llano comes to town the Texans will be ready.

That scrimmage was against Calallen right? One of the most elite 4a programs in the state.

Manso/V8
08-19-2013, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=Tejastrue;1754058]I understand why you feel they need to have a great showing on Thursday. I remember a couple of years ago we had a horrible first scrimmage and an okay 2nd I think. That turned out alright. Not that we are anwhere close to the 2011 team. I have trouble putting too much emphasis on these scrimmages probably because I'm more 'outside' looking in but I do like to watch them to get a glimpse of some of the new kids. From the interview I take it that we may have more kids on the roster. Would you know the numbers GF? Surely it's better than last year. Okay, hopefully.[/QUOTE

I doesn't start to count until district..........you don't want to peak too early.

Tejastrue
08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
That scrimmage was against Calallen right? One of the most elite 4a programs in the state.

No Ogg, that's also what I thought..the schedule showed the scrimmage was to be Calallen @ Floresville but it turned out that we actually scrimmaged Floresville. No Calallen.

snaxet
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
No Ogg, that's also what I thought..the schedule showed the scrimmage was to be Calallen @ Floresville but it turned out that we actually scrimmaged Floresville. No Calallen.

Floresville lost its scrimmage. Supposed to be a 3 way scrimmage with Calallen and Floresville but Calallen was able to pick up a scrimmage in Corpus area and opted out. Floresville had good speed, good size on the line, and a quality quarterback. I was impressed with their defensive backs. Not up to Calallen level but nonetheless it was good scrimmage for us.

Gone Fishing
08-19-2013, 09:29 PM
:eek: Interview jetters??......sounds more like a cocky sumbitch to me!......Definition of jetter: "One who struts; one who bears himself jauntily"!!!......:eek:

.....wait a minute GF...did you mean jitters??.......:vrycnfsd:

Sorry Cam , I have the 1976 spell check on my computer. LOL I meant that he was really nervous.

Tejastrue
08-21-2013, 06:19 PM
FYI local folks..The Wimberley View has a decent write-up this week on our new HC and the Texans.

Gone Fishing
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM
FYI local folks..The Wimberley View has a decent write-up this week on our new HC and the Texans.
Read it and I'm pumped! Burnet better watch out.... Llano a cake walk..just saying... Giddings is suppose to be down and Drip sucks...La Vernia can not beat us.... then "the game" LH!!!

ogg
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Floresville lost its scrimmage. Supposed to be a 3 way scrimmage with Calallen and Floresville but Calallen was able to pick up a scrimmage in Corpus area and opted out. Floresville had good speed, good size on the line, and a quality quarterback. I was impressed with their defensive backs. Not up to Calallen level but nonetheless it was good scrimmage for us.

Are you going to Burnet? If so let's know how they do, I have to work.

Cam
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Read it and I'm pumped! Burnet better watch out.... Llano a cake walk..just saying... Giddings is suppose to be down and Drip sucks...La Vernia can not beat us.... then "the game" LH!!!

Careful with Llano...they've got a pretty good QB who's getting attention. Rabb is 6'4" and can fling the ball. He's got some targets as well. Only thing that hurts Llano is depth in most games.
Burnet will be watchin' out....but Wimberley best be doin' the same!.......:stirpot:

Gone Fishing
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

I'm thinking I am, need to borrow the wife's car though, Lol. My truck looks like the Berverly Hill Billies. I'll report, but the last time I tried to post off my 1976 cell phone it didn't work, (can't remember my damn password) so it might be late when I do.

Cam
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM

CAll in sick!!!.....

Gone Fishing
08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Careful with Llano...they've got a pretty good QB who's getting attention. Rabb is 6'4" and can fling the ball. He's got some targets as well. Only thing that hurts Llano is depth in most games.
Burnet will be watchin' out....but Wimberley best be doin' the same!.......:stirpot:

Yeah I remember that kid, although I think the kid (Rhett was first name) was better at QB last year. Honestly though Cam , Llano should not beat us.

Gone Fishing
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM

CAll in sick!!!.....

Or own your own business and be broke. Lol.

Cam
08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah I remember that kid, although I think the kid (Rhett was first name) was better at QB last year. Honestly though Cam , Llano should not beat us.

I wouldn't think so either....I don't know about Llano's JV or freshmen, but they have some serious talent going into the 8th grade. This could be their breakout team in the near future. Fought us tooth and nail last year. Burnet almost lost that game. Llano has a kid (forgot his name - Latin kid #33)...Holy crap that kid is a big horse who can run!...We'll be hearing about him real soon.....

snaxet
08-21-2013, 11:37 PM

Yes, I am going and will give an update when I get back.

ogg
08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks Tejas, good article. "We are going to make defenses defend the entire field" LOL, I like coach Warren.

BullDawgDad
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Well during three 15 play series it was pretty even with both O''s scoring 1 TD each. So far in live quarter Burnet is up 2 TD's with 6ims to go

BullDawgDad
08-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Oh well we scored again 3rd TD to none for Wimberley 2:30 mins left

BullDawgDad
08-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Burnet pretty much dominated the live quarter...nuff said!!!

Cam
08-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Well Tejas....where did you end up eatin' after all?.......did you notice the new Valero Corner Store and the new Stripes under construction??...Burnet is really lookin' more and more like a metropolitan area!...:doh:..That's all we need..more gas stations!.....Dammit, I want more restaurants!!!...Maybe an Academy Sports!...A World Trade Center would be nice.......:mad:

Tejastrue
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Just got back. Burnet did indeed dominate the live qtr. No ifs ands or buts.. QB had many a pinpoint passes that were caught for big plays. It was like you guys flipped a switch. Thanks Burnet..we needed the thumping. We'll be better for it. :2thumbsup

Tejastrue
08-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Well Tejas....where did you end up eatin' after all?.......did you notice the new Valero Corner Store and the new Stripes under construction??...Burnet is really lookin' more and more like a metropolitan area!...:doh:..That's all we need..more gas stations!.....Dammit, I want more restaurants!!!...Maybe an Academy Sports!...A World Trade Center would be nice.......:mad:

The Maxican..chicken faijitas.:thumbsup: You guys do have plenty of gas stations.lol

BullDawgDad
08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Just got back. Burnet did indeed dominate the live qtr. No ifs ands or buts.. QB had many a pinpoint passes that were caught for big plays. It was like you guys flipped a switch. Thanks Burnet..we needed the thumping. We'll be better for it. :2thumbsup

Thanks to Wimberley for coming up and providing a good scrimmage. Thought is was surprising when Wimberley kicker thought he was going one up our kicker who had just connected from 50yrds with about 15yrds to spare. He lined it up for a 51yrd FG and was about 20yrds short...oops!!!

Tejastrue
08-22-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm trying to be a good sport here. He would not have done that if he did not feel he could make it. He just whiffed...it appears you guys have a great kicker. Is he also the punter because he can boom it as well. Don't read too much into a scrimmage though. You guys have a good team. Best of luck this season.

regaleagle
08-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Sounds to me like this scrimmage benefitted both squads immensely. It gave Burnet the confidence of having a contender they needed to see early on against a team that is a contender year in and year out like Wimberley is, and gave the Texans a heads up of what is needed this season for their team to once again work hard to get to where they need to be this season in order to be a contender this year. I'm sure both coaching staffs took alot away from this scrimmage that will enhance each teams ability to improve for the regular season and beyond.

BullDawgDad
08-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Sounds to me like this scrimmage benefitted both squads immensely. It gave Burnet the confidence of having a contender they needed to see early on against a team that is a contender year in and year out like Wimberley is, and gave the Texans a heads up of what is needed this season for their team to once again work hard to get to where they need to be this season in order to be a contender this year. I'm sure both coaching staffs took alot away from this scrimmage that will enhance each teams ability to improve for the regular season and beyond.

Well said Regaleagle!!! They will both gain from tonight. They both came out hitting real hard. Enjoyed watching both teams bring it! 8-30-13 can't get here fast enough....IT'S TIME FOR FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PEOPLE!!!

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 08:43 AM

Great googly moogly ....you think?

regaleagle
08-23-2013, 09:06 AM
I have no idea of what googly moogly means.....I just know that Burnet will be playing Fred here this opening week and I'll go to the game. I want to see this team firsthand. And I'm not too concerned about the Texans....y'all have a great program over there and will find a way to get it done.

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I was being a little sarcastic. I just found your comment redundant.

You do remember this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSAXLayoMKI

Gone Fishing
08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Well it was a scrimmage, but I will have to say without doubt, Burnet kicked out butts. Burnet has a very good team now, it appears. WT's looks like it may be a little bit of a work in progress these first several games. I thought we might be further ahead, but also many many players were going in and out and that is what a scrimmage is for. In 2010 Giddings came to Wimberley for the second scrimmage and kicked our aces up one side and down the other, then we won 14 games in a row till the semi game. So you never know what the coaches are doing in the scrimmages, also I noticed 3 or 4 starters not suited up so I'm sure that had some impact.

Mojo84
08-23-2013, 11:36 AM
It's never too smart to put too much weight on a preseason scrimmage. I've seen teams look like the Bad News Bears of football in a scrimmage to go on to win the state championship. When coaches are changing players in and out and trying kids in different positions it can be mighty disruptive, especially to timing. If one team is changing things up and the other one is not, that can make things look pretty lopsided. All I can say, everyone needs to tighten their chinstraps and come out fighting hard every week and every play like it's your last.

Then again, I am preaching to the choir here.

Cam
08-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Well, here's my two cents worth....I liked what I saw from both teams. During the controlled portion, I thought Burnet O-line struggled a little with pass protection. Give credit to a pretty quick Wimberley D-Line. Them boys will get their share of sacks this year! Wimberley's entire defense looked quick.
But I agree with you Tejas, it did look like Burnet picked it up a notch for the live 12 minute quarter. O-line suddenly started blocking better. And if Kiser is given time he is deadly accurate. It appears Burnet has a plethora of kids who can catch the ball. A few balls thrown were right on the money and it took some good effort to make those catches due to Wimberley D-backs tight coverage. They were right there. That's a good sign for Wimberley DB's. On offense, Wimberley QB is gonna be just fine. And I especially liked the big Wimberley RB. (#32?) He's gonna be a workhorse!
On the Burnet side, I loved how quick their defense looked and how they swarmed to the ball. There are no slow-pokes in that huddle. The LB's are going to be fun to watch. All of them are very aggressive. Junior Kody Hall is a beast. Whomever #30 is can also play. And the one kid who really caught my eye was sophomore LB Collin Ferrill. He was wearing #35 for the scrimmage and delivered some crunching blows. I had been hearing about Collin since last year. He will definitely light you up! Don't know if he'll stay on varsity but if he does that's a plus. There's improvement to be had by both teams. I have a tendency to watch one player and study him. One thing I would like to see from some of the Burnet DB's is to remember a real simple technique: "When the dang receiver turns to look for the ball, you do the same!".......It's a simple fix, but in saying that, you see guys in the NFL not turning for the ball all the time.
The one weapon Burnet has that most teams won't is a kicker like Austin Huff! Holy crap that boy is a kickin' fool!!...That 50 yarder was a sight to see...dang ball could have made it from 60 yards if not more. He could very well decide some games for Burnet this season. He is also quite the punter as well.
Also liked the enthusiasm of the Burnet coaches, especially one of the news ones. Don't know who he is but man is he animated! That's infectious for everyone!
Anybody who doesn't think Burnet & Wimberley won't be teams to reckon with this year is full of shiite Muslims!.......:D

BullDawgDad
08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, here's my two cents worth....I liked what I saw from both teams. During the controlled portion, I thought Burnet O-line struggled a little with pass protection. Give credit to a pretty quick Wimberley D-Line. Them boys will get their share of sacks this year! Wimberley's entire defense looked quick.
But I agree with you Tejas, it did look like Burnet picked it up a notch for the live 12 minute quarter. O-line suddenly started blocking better. And if Kiser is given time he is deadly accurate. It appears Burnet has a plethora of kids who can catch the ball. A few balls thrown were right on the money and it took some good effort to make those catches due to Wimberley D-backs tight coverage. They were right there. That's a good sign for Wimberley DB's. On offense, Wimberley QB is gonna be just fine. And I especially liked the big Wimberley RB. (#32?) He's gonna be a workhorse!
On the Burnet side, I loved how quick their defense looked and how they swarmed to the ball. There are no slow-pokes in that huddle. The LB's are going to be fun to watch. All of them are very aggressive. Junior Kody Hall is a beast. Whomever #30 is can also play. And the one kid who really caught my eye was sophomore LB Collin Ferrill. He was wearing #35 for the scrimmage and delivered some crunching blows. I had been hearing about Collin since last year. He will definitely light you up! Don't know if he'll stay on varsity but if he does that's a plus. There's improvement to be had by both teams. I have a tendency to watch one player and study him. One thing I would like to see from some of the Burnet DB's is to remember a real simple technique: "When the dang receiver turns to look for the ball, you do the same!".......It's a simple fix, but in saying that, you see guys in the NFL not turning for the ball all the time.
The one weapon Burnet has that most teams won't is a kicker like Austin Huff! Holy crap that boy is a kickin' fool!!...That 50 yarder was a sight to see...dang ball could have made it from 60 yards if not more. He could very well decide some games for Burnet this season. He is also quite the punter as well.
Also liked the enthusiasm of the Burnet coaches, especially one of the news ones. Don't know who he is but man is he animated! That's infectious for everyone!
Anybody who doesn't think Burnet & Wimberley won't be teams to reckon with this year is full of shiite Muslims!.......:D

Here is link to news article about last night scrimmage

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/23/burnet-football-team-dominates-scrimmage-against-wimberley/

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 02:49 PM

I thought we did quite well in the controlled part of the scrimmage. I don't think you guys got a single first down on the first series. I agree with you about the live qtr. We had guys in position to make most of the plays. I just didn't mention it because I did not want to take away from the quality pass and catches of your QB and receivers. #32 is Brady Lambert's younger brother. He's a bull. Holy crap indeed about your kicker. Surely you heard the Wimberley side clapping after that 50 yarder. I was hoping he would move it back another 10 and give it a shot.

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Just to add..I thought your JV QB also looked very good. They handled our guys pretty well. Freshman scrimmage was a toss up.

Cam
08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I thought we did quite well in the controlled part of the scrimmage. I don't think you guys got a single first down on the first series. I agree with you about the live qtr. We had guys in position to make most of the plays. I just didn't mention it because I did not want to take away from the quality pass and catches of your QB and receivers. #32 is Brady Lambert's younger brother. He's a bull. Holy crap indeed about your kicker. Surely you heard the Wimberley side clapping after that 50 yarder. I was hoping he would move it back another 10 and give it a shot.

I used to could kick 50 yarders.......on my Tudor Electric Football Set!.....:doh:

Cam
08-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Here is link to news article about last night scrimmage

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/23/burnet-football-team-dominates-scrimmage-against-wimberley/

Them crazy Marble Falls reporters!....Got the grades all wrong!......Twins Jamal & Jonathan are only juniors. Korey Campbell is a junior. And Darius Johnson is only a sophomore....but I do love Jennifer!...Best reporter in the area for sure....even though her Alma Mater is Marble Falls!.....I know she wants the Dawgs to do well except when they play her beloved Stangs. Like she told me, "I root for the Bulldogs unless they're playing the Mustangs!".......

Cam
08-23-2013, 04:26 PM

yes we did notice the Wimberley folks clapping for our kicker...that was pretty cool!......ya'll some class act sunsbitches for sure!......:2thumbsup

BullDawgDad
08-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Them crazy Marble Falls reporters!....Got the grades all wrong!......Twins Jamal & Jonathan are only juniors. Korey Campbell is a junior. And Darius Johnson is only a sophomore....but I do love Jennifer!...Best reporter in the area for sure....even though her Alma Mater is Marble Falls!.....I know she wants the Dawgs to do well except when they play her beloved Stangs. Like she told me, "I root for the Bulldogs unless they're playing the Mustangs!".......

Jonathan and Jamal are both Seniors

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Where you at Snaxet?

Cam
08-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Where you at Snaxet?

I don't know where he is.....but I'm here!:D:D

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't know where he is.....but I'm here!:D:D

Okay..now that I have your attention...I wanted to ask you what the heck is going on...on the hillside (hwy 29) coming into Burnet. Are those alien markings on that little rock mountain or just some hs kids getting bold and daring?

Cam
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Okay..now that I have your attention...I wanted to ask you what the heck is going on...on the hillside (hwy 29) coming into Burnet. Are those alien markings on that little rock mountain or just some hs kids getting bold and daring?

You must be talkin' about the big rock hill just west of Burnet near Inks Lake....man, you were right by my house!....I thought I smelled Texan!!!......Nope, those weren't alien markings...those were graduating class markings.....Don't know the whole story but every year some seniors will climb that thing and make their mark......I heard the previous owner used to allow it but I could be wrong...That ranch sold and I noticed I didn't see the class of 2012 up there.....Not sure why....The big "11" is my son's class....although he claims no involvement....As for alien markings, I've heard rumors that Ville-D was abducted, tied down, and he now has a crop circle of a yellow jacket made of ass hair on his left butt cheek!.......:eek:

Tejastrue
08-23-2013, 11:40 PM
:spitlol:...don't know why you smelled Texan..I took a sink bath last Saturday. All I could think of was I moved away from the city of grafitti and now it was crying from the mountain top..okay hill top.. in little old Burnet. Dang old foreigners buying up all the local properties. I do think the crop circle thing is legit though...

snaxet
08-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Where you at Snaxet?

Didn't get in until late so didn't have a chance to report on the scrimmage. Let me start out by saying that it was a very interesting scrimmage to say the least. The team that probably most impressed me was the Burnet JV team. They have a ton of talent. The tailback no. 32 had tremendous speed, and I would be curious to know why he isn't on the varsity. I suspect that could change in the near future. I feel he could really help Burnet's varsity. I was also impressed with the JV quarterback, and it was obvious that the coaches were to as he stepped in to play at the varsity level as well. In fact, I believe the starting QB lined up at receiver and the JV quarterback ran a series in the live quarter and actually threw one of the TDs.

The scrimmage was clearly good for both teams. I don't think the live quarter is something to be concerned about for the Texans even though it was clear that Burnet dominated. What many do not realize is that Coach Warren is seeking to platoon his offensive and defensive lines to keep them fresh. What impact this played last night was very clear to me and I will comment on that later. Defensively we made good penetration throughout the scrimmage portion and held Burnet to very few first downs. Only TD came on a hail mary over the middle that was overthrown but somehow the receiver was able to make a highlight reel catch and take it to the house. There was one other time Burnet made a catch and run to the 4 yard line in the scrimmage portion, and the Texan defense showed what they are capable of as they stuffed Burnet 4 straight plays to kill the opportunity. Our defensive line was in on the QB often during the regular scrimmage, and it was good to see our aggressive style of play.

As for the Texan offense, we did move the ball throughout the scrimmage but did not sustain our drives. We scored on a very good throw and catch by no. 7, McDorman, but overall we made a number of mistakes that really slowed us down. I will say again that it was good to see what Lambert can do when he gets the ball, and while he did not play a lot, probably had about 8 or 9 touches on offense and no defense, you could see that he will be a force, and when we need to keep a drive going I suspect we all know where Coach will be going. I have a feeling that we will see a totally different approach come Friday night. Most of our offensive plays were pretty basic and designed to see how our offensive line was going to block and where we needed improvement. Our offensive line is clearly the challenge right now and that is what they were probably most focused on.

Now as I said earlier I would comment on the impact of the platoon system that we are seeking to implement. The problem we had last night is that our no. 1 defensive line is our no. 2 offensive line and our no. 1 offensive line is our no. 2 defensive line, and as a result of the way the scrimmage was run, some of the players who went straight from defense went to offense and vice versa. Some of the lineman were already spent by the live quarter, and without pressure on the QB he was able bounce around and find a receiver. He was unable to do so early in the scrimmage because we were all over him. There was also a lot of substitution going on late in the scrimmage portion and then again in the live quarter. Also our defensive backs played both ways throughout the scrimmage in particular no. 5 and he was pretty well spent by the time we got into the live quarter. I will say that this is probably the best our DB's have looked in years. They made a number of big plays, and I actually feel this may be one of our strengths this year. In the scrimmage portion they were all over Burnet receivers, and in the live quarter the catches that were made were absolutely tremendous catches in the face of good coverage.

Overall, we showed a lot of potential, but the offensive line will be the biggest concern. Hopefully, they will continue to improve each week, and we can give Cerday more time to find his receivers. We are loaded with receivers, and when we can learn to pick up the stunts and protect Cerday the offense will begin to move.

To the Burnet faithful you guys have a great team and will vie for the District title. My support, however, must go with Gatesville as we have one of our home grown Texan football players coaching the hornets and yes, his Dad was there not only to watch the Texans but to check out the Bulldogs as well. He was most impressed, as I, with your left footed kicker. The kid can certainly kick, and while our kicker may not have gotten a good kick on the 51 yard try, he did drill it from 39 yards out with room to spare. He will be just fine.

Hope you guys in Burnet have a successful year and to the Texan faithful see you next Friday.

Cam
08-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Didn't get in until late so didn't have a chance to report on the scrimmage. Let me start out by saying that it was a very interesting scrimmage to say the least. The team that probably most impressed me was the Burnet JV team. They have a ton of talent. The tailback no. 32 had tremendous speed, and I would be curious to know why he isn't on the varsity. I suspect that could change in the near future. I feel he could really help Burnet's varsity. I was also impressed with the JV quarterback, and it was obvious that the coaches were to as he stepped in to play at the varsity level as well. In fact, I believe the starting QB lined up at receiver and the JV quarterback ran a series in the live quarter and actually threw one of the TDs.

The scrimmage was clearly good for both teams. I don't think the live quarter is something to be concerned about for the Texans even though it was clear that Burnet dominated. What many do not realize is that Coach Warren is seeking to platoon his offensive and defensive lines to keep them fresh. What impact this played last night was very clear to me and I will comment on that later. Defensively we made good penetration throughout the scrimmage portion and held Burnet to very few first downs. Only TD came on a hail mary over the middle that was overthrown but somehow the receiver was able to make a highlight reel catch and take it to the house. There was one other time Burnet made a catch and run to the 4 yard line in the scrimmage portion, and the Texan defense showed what they are capable of as they stuffed Burnet 4 straight plays to kill the opportunity. Our defensive line was in on the QB often during the regular scrimmage, and it was good to see our aggressive style of play.

As for the Texan offense, we did move the ball throughout the scrimmage but did not sustain our drives. We scored on a very good throw and catch by no. 7, McDorman, but overall we made a number of mistakes that really slowed us down. I will say again that it was good to see what Lambert can do when he gets the ball, and while he did not play a lot, probably had about 8 or 9 touches on offense and no defense, you could see that he will be a force, and when we need to keep a drive going I suspect we all know where Coach will be going. I have a feeling that we will see a totally different approach come Friday night. Most of our offensive plays were pretty basic and designed to see how our offensive line was going to block and where we needed improvement. Our offensive line is clearly the challenge right now and that is what they were probably most focused on.

Now as I said earlier I would comment on the impact of the platoon system that we are seeking to implement. The problem we had last night is that our no. 1 defensive line is our no. 2 offensive line and our no. 1 offensive line is our no. 2 defensive line, and as a result of the way the scrimmage was run, some of the players who went straight from defense went to offense and vice versa. Some of the lineman were already spent by the live quarter, and without pressure on the QB he was able bounce around and find a receiver. He was unable to do so early in the scrimmage because we were all over him. There was also a lot of substitution going on late in the scrimmage portion and then again in the live quarter. Also our defensive backs played both ways throughout the scrimmage in particular no. 5 and he was pretty well spent by the time we got into the live quarter. I will say that this is probably the best our DB's have looked in years. They made a number of big plays, and I actually feel this may be one of our strengths this year. In the scrimmage portion they were all over Burnet receivers, and in the live quarter the catches that were made were absolutely tremendous catches in the face of good coverage.

Overall, we showed a lot of potential, but the offensive line will be the biggest concern. Hopefully, they will continue to improve each week, and we can give Cerday more time to find his receivers. We are loaded with receivers, and when we can learn to pick up the stunts and protect Cerday the offense will begin to move.

To the Burnet faithful you guys have a great team and will vie for the District title. My support, however, must go with Gatesville as we have one of our home grown Texan football players coaching the hornets and yes, his Dad was there not only to watch the Texans but to check out the Bulldogs as well. He was most impressed, as I, with your left footed kicker. The kid can certainly kick, and while our kicker may not have gotten a good kick on the 51 yard try, he did drill it from 39 yards out with room to spare. He will be just fine.

Hope you guys in Burnet have a successful year and to the Texan faithful see you next Friday.

Good observations snax....BullDawgDad can probably confirm better than I.....#32 I believe is Keedrick Hill.I forget what grade he is in..and yes, he is fast....I believe he also played some 7 on 7. I'm not sure what the coaches are going to do. It's a nice problem to have. But sophomore #22 Brock Foster who played the slot last night, is also a RB. He may be equally if not faster than Keedrick. I think Brock only caught one short ball last night. I was hoping to see him get his hands on the ball in the open field. He will break some long ones this year. He was probably the fastest kid out there but we didn't get to see him do his thing. Brock has even qualified for the Junior Olympics when he was younger. I believe he was the Olympic long jump champion in 6th or 7th grade. He is also a 200m runner. Again, BDD may correct me, but I'm guessing Brock will play some tailback at times. Should be interesting to see what the coaches do. It's all good.
I don't think you saw Kiser (starting QB) playing wide out. At least I didn't see him. You may have mistaken #18 lined up out there. And yes, the backup QB threw the last TD for the night. It was good to see that. One thing you will see this year is our kicker playing WR at times. He's 6'3" and has great hands. He's pretty thick and strong as well.
Good luck to the Texans this year. Like I said in an earlier post, Wimberley will be a team to reckon with...

Gone Fishing
08-24-2013, 08:39 PM

snaxet , most of what you said above is right on except one sentence!!! To say, " this is probably the best our DB's have looked in years" is a very very wrong statement and somewhat funny. In 2011 our team defense gave up an average of 13 points a game over 15 games and a state championship. 3 of the 4 starting corners and safeties are playing college football right now (1 D-1 and 2 D-2 ) and in addition to that the main back up DB then, is playing college baseball. I won't say that 2011 DB's are the best ever because the DB's in 05 and 06 were very very good too and I heard from some people that back in the 2A days we had a very good group of DB's when they made the semi's. But I do think it's safe to say 2011 DB's is one of the best 2 or 3 units ever. (6'2" - 6'2" - 6'0" - 5'9" )

Oh, I'm sure you know, but just for others to read- 3 more starters from that defense in 2011 are playing college football also, for a total of 6 out of the 11 and in addition to that 2 more starters off the offense side are playing college football for a total of 8 starters off 2011 team playing college football. Dang thats good for 3A.

Also, I think the Db's looked pretty good in the scrimmage too, they should, they are all the same players from last year except one senior graduate and #21 is back after not playing his soph year, so I believe they should and better be better than last year, because of experience alone if nothing else. I believe the new DB coach is a good addition to replace coach Holt as well.

Tejastrue
08-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Wimberley folks starting to gear it up. :1popcorn: Gotta love Texas high school football. You know guys we just don't see and probably won't see another QB/receiver tandem/s like Burnet has until the Boerne game unless Dripping Springs shows us something...then again not sure what to expect from Bandera and Fredericksburg is probably past due to create some problems. Should we run a poll on this week's game. I know many laughed about making one last year and and then Llano almost beat us. lol

snaxet
08-24-2013, 10:37 PM
snaxet , most of what you said above is right on except one sentence!!! To say, " this is probably the best our DB's have looked in years" is a very very wrong statement and somewhat funny. In 2011 our team defense gave up an average of 13 points a game over 15 games and a state championship. 3 of the 4 starting corners and safeties are playing college football right now (1 D-1 and 2 D-2 ) and in addition to that the main back up DB then, is playing college baseball. I won't say that 2011 DB's are the best ever because the DB's in 05 and 06 were very very good too and I heard from some people that back in the 2A days we had a very good group of DB's when they made the semi's. But I do think it's safe to say 2011 DB's is one of the best 2 or 3 units ever. (6'2" - 6'2" - 6'0" - 5'9" )

Oh, I'm sure you know, but just for others to read- 3 more starters from that defense in 2011 are playing college football also, for a total of 6 out of the 11 and in addition to that 2 more starters off the offense side are playing college football for a total of 8 starters off 2011 team playing college football. Dang thats good for 3A.

Also, I think the Db's looked pretty good in the scrimmage too, they should, they are all the same players from last year except one senior graduate and #21 is back after not playing his soph year, so I believe they should and better be better than last year, because of experience alone if nothing else. I believe the new DB coach is a good addition to replace coach Holt as well.

Gone Fishing, you know I was not in any way diminishing the 2011 team as we all know that they were a special group just like the 2005 and 2006 teams as well. I was making a general statement to point out that we have some potential there, and I guess I had last year's Burnet scrimmage or the Boerne game or the Navarro game in mind. The catches Burnet receivers made were well defended and that was good to see. We all know that year in and year out we sit on the edge of our seats when we see a 3rd and 9 coming up. This year will be no different. I am excited about the number of players we have at the next level. I follow them every chance I get. You can throw in Joey White at Tech and Will Tuttle at Texas State. Wimberley is well represented at the next level. Some of this year's players have a chance to play at the next level but they need to make a statement. I heard that Llano had a good scrimmage last week and Rabb is looking good at QB. We cannot play like we did last year and expect to get a win. We need to come out and take control early and keep the pressure on. See you Friday and when our defense is faced with 3rd and 9 I know that you will ease forward just a little wondering whether our secondary will respond. I will, in fact, some years I would rather see 3rd and 4 because I have that much confidence in our run defense. This just may be one of those years, however, where we can welcome a 3rd and 9 knowing that we will be able to defend.

Gone Fishing
08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Wimberley folks starting to gear it up. :1popcorn: Gotta love Texas high school football. You know guys we just don't see and probably won't see another QB/receiver tandem/s like Burnet has until the Boerne game unless Dripping Springs shows us something...then again not sure what to expect from Bandera and Fredericksburg is probably past due to create some problems. Should we run a poll on this week's game. I know many laughed about making one last year and and then Llano almost beat us. lol

Llano has a 6'4' QB that got 80% of the snaps last year. Got no idea about their receivers or the offense they will be running at us....

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Dang...forgot about him. I believe Cam had mentioned he was the real deal. I don't think he started the game against us last year. I can appreciate the Burnet scrimmage even more now. I guess we'll find out soon enough about our defense, especially the secondary.

Found this article. He is getting some D1 interest.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/06/28/llano-quarterback-getting-looks-from-major-colleges/

Gone Fishing
08-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Dang...forgot about him. I believe Cam had mentioned he was the real deal. I don't think he started the game against us last year. I can appreciate the Burnet scrimmage even more now. I guess we'll find out soon enough about our defense, especially the secondary.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/06/28/llano-quarterback-getting-looks-from-major-colleges/

Good find on that article Tejas!. Wow I did not know he was that good. I was a little partial to the Brooks kid last year because he is good friends with my son, but I notice this Rabb kid took over after only a few games. We might have a very good test right off the bat!!! Llano is hungry to get back on the map for sure and I hear the new coach is good.

With that said, I vote you to post a poll. (every week too..lol ) I haven't seen one yet for any games, might as well get'er going.....

Cam
08-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Good find on that article Tejas!. Wow I did not know he was that good. I was a little partial to the Brooks kid last year because he is good friends with my son, but I notice this Rabb kid took over after only a few games. We might have a very good test right off the bat!!! Llano is hungry to get back on the map for sure and I hear the new coach is good.

With that said, I vote you to post a poll. (every week too..lol ) I haven't seen one yet for any games, might as well get'er going.....

I always worry about the Llano game....they're at a disadvantage due to numbers/depth.....but they've actually carried a decent sized roster lately...One thing they always seem to have is some big boys on the line.....another thing about Llano, they play with a chip on their shoulders and they do get nasty......I know one thing, they can't stand their neighbors to the east....Burnet!......

ogg
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I always worry about the Llano game....they're at a disadvantage due to numbers/depth.....but they've actually carried a decent sized roster lately...One thing they always seem to have is some big boys on the line.....another thing about Llano, they play with a chip on their shoulders and they do get nasty......I know one thing, they can't stand their neighbors to the east....Burnet!......

Last time they beat us was in 08, game that kicked us out of our playoff chances. In LLano. Don't really think they care for their neighbors to the southeast either.

ogg
08-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Good read snaxet, I understood your comment on the Dbacks. Thanks :)

FB-fanatic
08-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Saw this kid at Tarleton camp and talked to his dad. Said he was getting some looks. 2000 yards total offense in 2012. Frustrating when a 6'00" 215 lb kid with 2700 yds total offense and 215 points scored only gets looks from DIII's. I guess everybody thinks they can make a QB as long as the're tall.

ogg
08-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Saw this kid at Tarleton camp and talked to his dad. Said he was getting some looks. 2000 yards total offense in 2012. Frustrating when a 6'00" 215 lb kid with 2700 yds total offense and 215 points scored only gets looks from DIII's. I guess everybody thinks they can make a QB as long as the're tall.

That's right, and on the flip side 6' 4 is too tall for a running back. Lot different now than when I was in high school.

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Last time they beat us was in 08, game that kicked us out of our playoff chances. In LLano. Don't really think they care for their neighbors to the southeast either.

The hate carries thru to the ticket purchase windows and the ticket takers at stadium entrance. I think most of the town folk hate us. lol

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Poll is up... every week? Really? :ack!:

ogg
08-25-2013, 10:52 PM
The hate carries thru to the ticket purchase windows and the ticket takers at stadium entrance. I think most of the town folk hate us. lol

In high school football, sometimes a relevant team is given respect, sometimes they're just plain hated.

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 10:55 PM
hahaha..well said.

Manso/V8
08-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Many times it is about upside/potential, and height is a factor.
It is especially competitive in Texas since there are so many good football players.

Cam
08-30-2013, 10:27 AM
oops..

Cam
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM

snaxet....you have a keen eye you sly devil!.....I finally got to watch the very salty Burnet JV last night (won 30-0)....the kid you mentioned above, #32 would be Keedrick Hill (I believe he is a soph.). He was electric last night. Made some defenders come out of their shoes. Not sure why he isn't on varsity but my guess is they want Keedrick to get more touches.....Plus, varsity has their senior tailback and another soph. speedster in Brock Foster....JV QB Austin Moore looked really good as well last night. Husky kid with strong arm...Also got to see the freshmen win their game, 32-6. They too have a RB who is pretty good. A big red headed kid named Ringstaff...He's more of a bruiser type with pretty good wheels.....The future looks bright!

Good luck to the Texans tonight!!!