PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Scrimmages?

Mojo84
08-16-2013, 10:49 PM
How common is it for a high school team to send coaches to scout a district opponent's preseason scrimmage? Tonight was the first time I've noticed it.

Would be interested in your thoughts and experience with this?

NastySlot
08-16-2013, 10:52 PM
How common is it for a high school team to send coaches to scout a district opponent's preseason scrimmage? Tonight was the first time I've noticed it.

How did the scrimmage go? I was just in Kerrville and saw that the Hounds and Antlers were mixing it up.

Aesculus gilmus
08-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Is there some sort of rule against this? If not, why not have your coaches and even friends of your coaches fan out all over your area to see all of them you can?

I suppose you could close a scrimmage to the public if you really don't want the public to see your team until the season starts.

Matthew328
08-16-2013, 11:02 PM
its very common

Mojo84
08-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I had no thoughts of there being a rule against it. I just haven't heard of it before. Based on how elusive the coach was being with me, it was very obvious he didn't want me to know where he was from. He wasn't a very good liar. He was really surprised when I called him by name an told him to be safe on the way back to the town he told me he was from. Funny thing was, he never told me his name.

It went well. definitely quite a bit to work on for both teams. I wouldn't say either team "won" as I don't see a scrimmage as a win or lose deal. Unless of course injuries happen. I will say, Boerne went toe to two with them and it was fun to watch. It hasn't always been that way in the past.

Tejastrue
08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Why so secret? I hope he was from Wimberley...shall we share???

GreenMonster
08-16-2013, 11:07 PM

It's very common and I suspect that whoever played tonight watched their district foes earlier in the day or will watch them tomorrow. It ain't no thing. Most good coaches will use their network of friends and have most if not all of their opponents previous game films before they square off. District rules usually require that you trade 2 or 3 films but to my knowledge it's every man for themselves on collecting any extra films. Scrimmages are usually the last time that you will actually get to lay eyes on a team in person until pre-game of when you meet head to head. It's actually pretty pointless this early because by the time district rolls around a lot of things have changed but the thing you take away is you get to really see how big they are, how strong they are, how fast they are, etc. Those are the things that won't change between now and district.

Mojo84
08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Why so secret? I hope he was from Wimberley...shall we share???

Wasn't from Wimberley. Your guys were probably busy getting your team better rather than out watching others practice.

Have you guys missed a beat with the coach change? I suspect not.

Tejastrue
08-16-2013, 11:19 PM
It is hard to say Mojo but so far so good...I do know that Boerne will be ready for the Texans and we are respecting that. Best of luck this season!!

Mojo84
08-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Is there some sort of rule against this? If not, why not have your coaches and even friends of your coaches fan out all over your area to see all of them you can?

I suppose you could close a scrimmage to the public if you really don't want the public to see your team until the season starts.

Why do the batters in the batter's box not look back at the catcher to see where he is setting up and to see if they can catch the signs.

Mojo84
08-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Best of luck this season!!

Right back at you.

Tejastrue
08-16-2013, 11:38 PM
I will add that D-27 is not respected and would love for us to kick some butt come playoff time...just sayin...:D

Ville-D
08-16-2013, 11:48 PM

At the Stephenville / Haltom City scrimmage the stands had more coaches in them than fans. They were mostly different opponents of Haltom, but the Aleda Bearcat coaches were there in full force. I guess that preseason game against a little 3a team is important to them.

There were 2 guys there with sombreros on so I'm pretty sure that was probably the Monterrey Prepa Tech scouts. I didn't see any coaches from Ft. Lauderdale there.... I guess they are not taking this as serious as they should.

Tejastrue
08-16-2013, 11:57 PM
LOL...Haltom must have dominated...

Ville-D
08-17-2013, 12:02 AM
LOL...Haltom must have dominated...

Haltom City was impressive. Grant was there for a while, he can back me up...

Matthew328
08-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Brad Keith was even unusually quiet on twitter...did Haltom really give the Ville some problems?

Tejastrue
08-17-2013, 12:13 AM
LOL..i just found it amusing that you referred to the Jackets as a little old 3A team..

Ville-D
08-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Brad Keith was even unusually quiet on twitter...did Haltom really give the Ville some problems?

No, it was pretty lopsided. Jarret looked Great. Frosh RB scored once. First team O and D did good. First team O scored on every offensive series (I think second team scored every time, but I don't remember for sure). First team D stopped Haltom on every live series. Second team D allowed a couple of TD's.

Tejastrue
08-17-2013, 12:26 AM
I expect Matthew to follow up on this...I trust him.

Ville-D
08-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I expect Matthew to follow up on this...I trust him.

That's right, never trust a an Alien from Erath. Just ask Cam.

maestro
08-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Why do the batters in the batter's box not look back at the catcher to see where he is setting up and to see if they can catch the signs.

Unwritten rule that he will get put on his backside if he is suspected of this.

Mojo84
08-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Unwritten rule that he will get put on his backside if he is suspected of this.

Exactly!

panfan
08-17-2013, 02:11 PM

We saw coaches from an upcoming game at our preseason scrimmage today. I expect its common.

Tejastrue
08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
That's right, never trust a an Alien from Erath. Just ask Cam.

hahaha..so I've heard but we all can feel confident that Cam is not of this world.