PDA

View Full Version : I Know It's Soccer BUT

Matthew328
08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
the USA just went to Sarajevo and beat Bosnia 4-3!! Bosnia is considered one of the top teams in Europe and after going down 2-0 at the half we came back and won 4-3!! JOZY ALTIDORE with a hat trick!! That's the 12th win in a row for the US Soccer team!!

hollywood
08-14-2013, 09:56 PM
I know it's soccer.. but the USMNT is one of the most talented the US has had in a long time, maybe ever.

Soccer is gaining ground in the good ole USA.

caleb_mccaig
08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm a HUGE USMNT fan so I know exactly how excited others must be. It fires me up that we're actually competing and doing well nationally. I went to the Gold Cup in Arlington this year and got to experience it first hand. I advise any fan go when possible! It was a great experience. I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say this upcoming Mexico game will be one with BIGTIME television ratings.

Matthew328
08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Heres highlights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJxoShmW64&feature=c4-overview&list=UUk1pcWQ5E19g0Cgp4c1eI1w

hollywood
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm a life long soccer fan! Played most of my life and coach a competitive girl's team. Soccer is a great sport many Americans just aren't accustomed to... At least in this part of the country. It's gaining though.

USWNT is #1 in the world. Why? Because more than any other country in the world, girl's soccer is as popular as boy's soccer in the US. With almost 50% of players being girl's. The closest country to the US is England. 3% of girl's playing soccer compared to boy's. Pretty cool!

Rabid Cougar
08-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I paraphrase the thread title... "its Soccer."

hollywood
08-16-2013, 08:34 AM
I paraphrase the thread title... "its Soccer."

Yep, one of the greatest sports in the world believe it or not!

Rabid Cougar
08-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Yep, one of the greatest sports in the world believe it or not!

Yes, I am very aware of this. I have first hand knowledge of how the rest of the world loves of such a boring sport.

During one of my holidays to Iraq, I was invited to watch a soccer game on TV with the Iraqi contractors. It was very fesitve. Three TV going on the same channel. Pepsi , Chai, baklava and a sheep. Much conversation going on while watcing the back and forth. Then Iraq scores. It goes crazy and then from the nearby town it sounds like WWIII starting. LOTS of AK fire going off full auto. They settled back down and continued the discussion of the score. Then you hear two ambulances coming toward the base. Of course what goes up, must come down :) . I thought " if only we could celebrate like that for football".

I am sorry , I don't get the overwhelming adoration of the game. It is so boring to watch that the fans have to entertain themselves in the stands, which in of itself is sometimes more entertaining than the game.

hollywood
08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Yes, I am very aware of this. I have first hand knowledge of how the rest of the world loves of such a boring sport.

During one of my holidays to Iraq, I was invited to watch a soccer game on TV with the Iraqi contractors. It was very fesitve. Three TV going on the same channel. Pepsi , Chai, baklava and a sheep. Much conversation going on while watcing the back and forth. Then Iraq scores. It goes crazy and then from the nearby town it sounds like WWIII starting. LOTS of AK fire going off full auto. They settled back down and continued the discussion of the score. Then you hear two ambulances coming toward the base. Of course what goes up, must come down :) . I thought " if only we could celebrate like that for football".

I am sorry , I don't get the overwhelming adoration of the game. It is so boring to watch that the fans have to entertain themselves in the stands, which in of itself is sometimes more entertaining than the game.

Good story. How was the sheep?

Rabid Cougar
08-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Good story. How was the sheep?

I didn't eat the eyeballs that I was offered. I stuck to the humas and fresh Iraqi bread. Now that is good eating.

Rabid Cougar
08-16-2013, 11:23 AM
One thing that I did notice several years ago, the all powerful U.S. women's team choked in the finals and everyone was so proud, this, that and the other. What will be the reaction if these guys choke at some point?
My guess is that they will be crucified, the coach fired and the entire organization tipped on its side. You won't see any of these guys on Jimmy Kimmel if that happens.

( yes I secretely watch soccer as I wait for NASCAR to come on TV. I get a nice pre-nap before the long nap during the race.)

hollywood
08-16-2013, 11:24 AM
:ack!:

Just watched replay I recorded. Great game! If more were educated on the game and how difficult it is to play at the elite level, I think more would appreciate it.

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2013, 11:26 AM
One thing that I did notice several years ago, the all powerful U.S. women's team choked in the finals and everyone was so proud, this, that and the other. What will be the reaction if these guys choke at some point?
My guess is that they will be crucified, the coach fired and the entire organization tipped on its side. You won't see any of these guys on Jimmy Kimmel if that happens.

( yes I secretely watch soccer as I wait for NASCAR to come on TV. I get a nice pre-nap before the long nap during the race.)

I think the fact they lost to Japan in the world cup after everything that happened made it ok..it was a great game..the Men's team does not have the same expectations as the women...not even close

Rabid Cougar
08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
:ack!:

If more were educated on the game and how difficult it is to play at the elite level, I think more would appreciate it.

That is true for any elite level sport. I certainly don't doubt the ability/talent world class soccer players. I do appreciates their skills.

hollywood
08-16-2013, 11:33 AM

A little extreme Rabid. We can sense your hate for soccer.

The USWNT is by far the best in the world. Lost in the WC but redemption was all square at the Olympics.

Rabid Cougar
08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
A little extreme Rabid. We can sense your hate for soccer.

The USWNT is by far the best in the world. Lost in the WC but redemption was all square at the Olympics.

The point on the women was that if it were the guys our reaction as a nation would not have been the same.

No hate. I can watch it, afterall it is a sport, just not a fan. Just like people who are not fans of watching golf, baseball, tennis,NASCAR, ....NFL.

I can assure you that I will watch a World Cup match or two. (Notice I used "match") I even have watched Cricket - baseball with no foul balls. That game takes a bit to pick up on.