sgunther
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Option Football

Books and DVD’s titled:
1. "How to Coach the Wishbone Football Offense, According to Emory Bellard"
2. “How to Coach the Flexbone Football Offense”
3. “How to Practice Option Offensive Football”
4. “4 DVD’s-Option Offensive Practices”

All of the above can be found at the following website http://optionfootball-publishing.net/collections/all

Posted by:
Steve Gunther

BEAST
08-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Option Football

Books and DVD’s titled:
1. "How to Coach the Wishbone Football Offense, According to Emory Bellard"
2. “How to Coach the Flexbone Football Offense”
3. “How to Practice Option Offensive Football”
4. “4 DVD’s-Option Offensive Practices”

All of the above can be found at the following website http://optionfootball-publishing.net/collections/all

Posted by:
Steve Gunther

Odd that someone from Iowa would be trying to teach Texans football.

BEAST

orange machine
08-13-2013, 04:50 PM

BEAST
Does anybody run that stuff anymore?

refereedoc
08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
The last time I looked this was 2013. I don't think the Bone is relevant anymore, welcome to the 21 st century and the spread offense Mr. Gunther:sleeping:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Port Isabel runs the option. Just saying....

Gone Fishing
08-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Lol!!!!

toddg
08-13-2013, 09:00 PM
The last time I looked this was 2013. I don't think the Bone is relevant anymore, welcome to the 21 st century and the spread offense Mr. Gunther:sleeping:
Well.. The Power I is still relevant..

sgunther
08-16-2013, 11:50 PM

BEAST

I coached in Texas for 25 years, before retiring to Iowa! My wifes, mother and sister live in Iowa! I coached for Emory Bellard before he retired! Before moving to Texas I coached at Colorado St. U. and Independence Jr. College! I have approximately 43 years coaching experience! All money from Coach Bellards books will go to his favorite charities!

Steve Gunther

Ville-D
08-17-2013, 12:21 AM
option football

books and dvd’s titled:
1. "how to coach the wishbone football offense, according to emory bellard"
2. “how to coach the flexbone football offense”
3. “how to practice option offensive football”
4. “4 dvd’s-option offensive practices”

all of the above can be found at the following website http://optionfootball-publishing.net/collections/all

posted by:
Steve gunther

i coached in texas for 25 years, before retiring to iowa! My wifes, mother and sister live in iowa! I coached for emory bellard before he retired! Before moving to texas i coached at colorado st. U. And independence jr. College! I have approximately 43 years coaching experience! All money from coach bellards books will go to his favorite charities!

Steve gunther

spam?

GreenMonster
08-17-2013, 12:27 AM
We run the split back veer. 4 plays is all you need, works like novacaine just give it time!

sgunther
08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
I coached in Texas for 25 years, before retiring to Iowa! My wifes, mother and sister live in Iowa! I coached for Emory Bellard before he retired! Before moving to Texas I coached at Colorado St. U. and Independence Jr. College! I have approximately 43 years coaching experience! All money from Coach Bellards books will go to his favorite charities!

Steve Gunther

No Spam?

Option Football is returning--even out of the Spread!

hollywood
08-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Stephenville mixes some option in with the spread scheme. It works. Nothing better than to see a dual threat QB that can sling the ball and still be able to break ankles with his feet. Tyler Jones 2012 was very good at both. Ran the option to perfection a handful of times a game.

Ville-D
08-17-2013, 09:06 AM
No Spam?

Then why create an account with your first 4 posts trying to sell something. If you want to talk about option football then talk about it. Just don't come on here trying to sell crap.

GreenMonster
08-17-2013, 10:18 AM
No Spam?

Personally, I think the pistol is the perfect set for running the option. You get the best of both worlds because it combines the spread with the flexbone. The dive back is a little deeper so his path needs to be a little wider but you can run midline or outside veer still. The pitchman motions across and behind out of the slot from either side and you can put him where ever you like, slot, tight slot, or wing. Now the defense has to respect you and treat you like a spread team by pulling people out of the box. Of course your playbook had better be small because it is difficult to serve two masters and be proficient at both, especially at the high school level. Ironically, one of the spread's bread and butter plays the zone stretch is evolving once again into a triple option in it's own right. It first evolved into the double option zone read where the QB opens up and reads the backside end. If he crashes and tries to run the back down from behind the QB pulls the ball and goes out the back door. Defenses caught on though after being burned over and over and started using the outside backer to replace the end allowing the end to continue to crash effectively closing the back door to the QB. Unfortunately for defenses the nerdy little OC guys that have all of the cute little hand signals are actually pretty smart in their own right and have incorporated a dedicated bubble screen play on the backside to take advantage of the outside backer replacing the end. Oh the ever changing checkers game that has become modern football!

hollywood
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
The key statement, "Oh the ever changing checkers game that has become modern football", is spot on. The days of reverting back to an offensive scheme from decades ago are over. Modern football continues to evolve and the possibilities are endless.

GreenMonster
08-17-2013, 12:38 PM
The thing I love about all of this is that it's the college game that is leading the charge instead of the pro game. The pro game has become so stale with the emphasis on keeping the QB healthy and in the pocket because of the huge investments in these individual players. The college game has an equal investment in all of it's players and only has a limited time with these guys anyways so they are much more open to using the athleticism that is at their disposal to cause people problems. There are no limits to the creative abilities of college offenses today and it has led to an explosion of points and excitement. The high school game tends to mirror the college game because high school coaches want to send their guys on to college. It's cool the way the game has evolved so much so quickly. Sure the pro guys are still running their pro style offenses but even they are beginning to get in on the act. I look for the Eaglets to have success under Chip Kelley's modern-style spread option offense and soon there will be more college gurus getting their shot in the NFL. It actually makes sense to go this way because it's hard to find a pro style QB in the current college game.

sgunther
08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Then why create an account with your first 4 posts trying to sell something. If you want to talk about option football then talk about it. Just don't come on here trying to sell crap.

Sorry that bothers you! Bellards and Yeomans concepts are still being used in modern football! I strongly disagree, its not crap!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Sorry that bothers you! Bellards and Yeomans concepts are still being used in modern football! I strongly disagree, its not crap!

Don't worry about it, coach. A lot of people here in Texas are completely in love with "the spread". But I'm on your side, though. The Option, Veer, etc. etc. needs to make a comeback.

jason
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Stephenville mixes some option in with the spread scheme. It works. Nothing better than to see a dual threat QB that can sling the ball and still be able to break ankles with his feet. Tyler Jones 2012 was very good at both. Ran the option to perfection a handful of times a game.
the only time they run an option play is after a big play and they go into a quick no huddle hurry up...last year close to 100% of the time they ran the option with witt and tyler in that situation.

toddg
08-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Tyler Jones ran the spread option brilliantly last year..especially in the playoffs..

bird_fan
08-18-2013, 02:45 PM
IN 4A Port Lavaca Calhoun after 1960 state championship appearence VS Brownwood went through a playoff drouight until 2006 with maybe 4 team finishing over 500 during that time. in 2005 Coach Whitaker took over installing the triple option 2006 they made the playoffs and have been in the play off ever since..the Last 2 year had undefeated regular seasons. so it still works

sgunther
08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I didn't know I couldn't promote Texas Football from Iowa! Iowa welcomed Hayden Fry back in the 80's! He was the best thing that happen to Iowa Football in Decades! I truly believe after coaching in Texas for 25 years, that there is no other State that can compare. You should be proud and certain protect your heritage. The THSCA is concerned about acedemic changes that could effect athletic periods! The athletic periiods are the life blood of Texas Athletics.

My intention was to promote Coach Bellard and the great things he did for U. of Texas and Texas A&M!

I certainly don't want to get into a dog fight! I am to old for that!

Steve Gunther

toddg
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't know I couldn't promote Texas Football from Iowa! Iowa welcomed Hayden Fry back in the 80's! He was the best thing that happen to Iowa Football in Decades! I truly believe after coaching in Texas for 25 years, that there is no other State that can compare. You should be proud and certain protect your heritage. The THSCA is concerned about acedemic changes that could effect athletic periods! The athletic periiods are the life blood of Texas Athletics.

My intention was to promote Coach Bellard and the great things he did for U. of Texas and Texas A&M!

I certainly don't want to get into a dog fight! I am to old for that!

Steve Gunther

Hayden Fry sure did a great job in Odessa at OHS when my dad was there...dont worry Steve, believe it or not, there are folks down here who dont know "option" football when its right in front of them every friday night! lol! the option is alive and well here in Texas..it just took on a different look and envolves more angles..the basic "option" formation now is single back, shotgun with a TE, slot rec. and 2 wides...just the dealer can pass very well too!

sgunther
08-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Hayden Fry sure did a great job in Odessa at OHS when my dad was there...dont worry Steve, believe it or not, there are folks down here who dont know "option" football when its right in front of them every friday night! lol! the option is alive and well here in Texas..it just took on a different look and envolves more angles..the basic "option" formation now is single back, shotgun with a TE, slot rec. and 2 wides...just the dealer can pass very well too!

Hayden Fry is an Icon in Iowa! If he wanted to be Governor of Iowa, he would have been! He was the best, no one could compare! Iowa was the doormat of the Big Ten, how lucky were they to get him and Bill Synder from North Texas State. Unbelievablely lucky!

Thanks for the support! I loved coaching in Texas! If it wasn't for my wifes father passing away, we would still be in Texas! She wanted to be with her mother, who lives in Iowa! So here we are in Dubuque, Iowa. Loved Friday Nights in Texas, no other state can compare!

Last year I helped at the University of Dubuque, a DIII school, in Dubuque, Iowa.

Thanks

Steve Gunther

GrTigers6
08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
The Spread has several read options in it but nothing like the old options you saw in the 80's and 90's and even still now in nfl

GreenMonster
08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
The Spread has several read options in it but nothing like the old options you saw in the 80's and 90's and even still now in nfl

That all depends on who's running it. I've seen lots of guys use the slot receiver as the pitch man in a true triple option out of the spread either by bringing him across the formation or just having him back peddle into a good pitch relationship before taking off. I still think my current favorite is the zone read triple where the back crosses the QB's face, QB reads the backside end to determine give or pull, and then reads the outside backer to determine keep or backside bubble screen on the twins side after a pull. It's nasty-nasty and was made popular by current Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. Defensively you're screwed because who do you cover, the QB or the twins. Your safety in the middle of the field better be running the alley to the play action side or the RB will kill you on the give. That leaves you with a corner and an outside backer to stop the QB, the slot, and the flanker. You better matchup athlete-wise on the backside or it's a big play no matter what you decide.

toddg
08-21-2013, 09:38 PM
That all depends on who's running it. I've seen lots of guys use the slot receiver as the pitch man in a true triple option out of the spread either by bringing him across the formation or just having him back peddle into a good pitch relationship before taking off. I still think my current favorite is the zone read triple where the back crosses the QB's face, QB reads the backside end to determine give or pull, and then reads the outside backer to determine keep or backside bubble screen on the twins side after a pull. It's nasty-nasty and was made popular by current Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. Defensively you're screwed because who do you cover, the QB or the twins. Your safety in the middle of the field better be running the alley to the play action side or the RB will kill you on the give. That leaves you with a corner and an outside backer to stop the QB, the slot, and the flanker. You better matchup athlete-wise on the backside or it's a big play no matter what you decide.
Heck yeah!!! That's football!!