PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated team heading into 2013?

easttexas3a
08-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Who do you think the most overrated teams are? I think we always talk about dark horses, and teams with a chance to surprise some people in a positive way.

Who do you think could really drop the ball this year?

regaleagle
08-11-2013, 03:53 AM
I would have to say Krum will experience some tough sledding over in District 9 in their second season. They snuck up on everybody last year in their maiden voyage, but Decatur will do well, Sanger is on a mission, Gainesville has the talent returning and lots of speed, and Bridgeport will surprise with a young team. I believe DCTF picked Krum behind Gainesville in this district, but I'd not be surprised to see them go 1-4 in this district this season.

regaleagle
08-11-2013, 03:58 AM
On the other side of the fence for North Texas teams, I would put Frisco Lone Star as a real dark horse for going several rounds deep this season in the playoffs. They are in Argyle's District 10, along with Celina. These are 3 very good teams in this district that should all do well in the playoffs. The question is will Lone Star be able to upset either Argyle or Celina, or both??? I don't think so, but keep an eye on this team thru the season.

Celina8
08-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Frisco Lone Star could surprise a lot of teams this year. I have been told by a co-worker whose kid goes to this school, that they will have close to 1300 students this year. Very much like Frisco Wakeland a few years back when they started out in AAA. The team that might be overrated could very well be my own Celina Bobcats as they are ranked 11th, but from what I am hearing talking with friends last night we are going to be a very young team and depth continues to be an issue for us. I think the Ranking of 11 is overrated for us with so many questions. I would say that we are probably somewhere around the ranking of 22 to 25 just because of the youth factor. I think the game against Texas LE will be a key games as I see them being much improved from last year. Actually Melissa should not be overlooked either on our schedule as was proved last year. They still have a lot of talent with a strong QB and a great all around player in Jackson Webb.

Eagle11
08-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I would have to say Krum will experience some tough sledding over in District 9 in their second season. They snuck up on everybody last year in their maiden voyage, but Decatur will do well, Sanger is on a mission, Gainesville has the talent returning and lots of speed, and Bridgeport will surprise with a young team. I believe DCTF picked Krum behind Gainesville in this district, but I'd not be surprised to see them go 1-4 in this district this season.
So much of it is going to be who stays healthy. Last year Decatur had 8 starters out by week 6 and never had a chance to rebound. Krum had the perfect season last year and i dont think they will be sneaking up on anyone this year. They will still start out 6 and 0 because of the teams they are playing. They only played 1 team with a winning record last year before district. Bridgeport on the other had will play 4 of the best teams in the area in scrimmages and then to start the year with A.W. and Alvarado. if they come out will all of their players in tack in will be a act of God. Its a long season and it takes a lot of luck to repeat what you did the year before.

Good Luck to the District just not too much against the Eagles.

Pudlugger
08-11-2013, 08:42 AM
El Campo is rated in the top 25 in DCTF yet return only 3 starters with 1 on offense and 2 on defense. I realize they are a big school with a tradition of winning but I don't expect them to end up much higher than third in their district this year with Bellville, Wharton, Columbus and Sealy to compete with.

orange machine
08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Frisco Lone Star could surprise a lot of teams this year. I have been told by a co-worker whose kid goes to this school, that they will have close to 1300 students this year. Very much like Frisco Wakeland a few years back when they started out in AAA. The team that might be overrated could very well be my own Celina Bobcats as they are ranked 11th, but from what I am hearing talking with friends last night we are going to be a very young team and depth continues to be an issue for us. I think the Ranking of 11 is overrated for us with so many questions. I would say that we are probably somewhere around the ranking of 22 to 25 just because of the youth factor. I think the game against Texas LE will be a key games as I see them being much improved from last year. Actually Melissa should not be overlooked either on our schedule as was proved last year. They still have a lot of talent with a strong QB and a great all around player in Jackson Webb.
I think Celina is ranked to high also because of all the youth. In saying that there is a ton of talent kn the offensive side of the ball. I think the offense if the young oline can gel could be really good and give many teams problems. The defense is the big ? No returning starters on the dline or at linebacker, Celina is gonna need some young guys to step up big time. They have stepped up in the past lets see if they will do it again!

marler1972
08-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I think Celina is ranked to high also because of all the youth. In saying that there is a ton of talent kn the offensive side of the ball. I think the offense if the young oline can gel could be really good and give many teams problems. The defense is the big ? No returning starters on the dline or at linebacker, Celina is gonna need some young guys to step up big time. They have stepped up in the past lets see if they will do it again!

I think the oline will be fine, the D in my opinion will surprise this year dline is very quick. The one intangible is this team is a very close knit group.

orange machine
08-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I think the oline will be fine, the D in my opinion will surprise this year dline is very quick. The one intangible is this team is a very close knit group.

I think the potential to be very good is there but its up to the kids to put it together. With such a small senior class the juniors will need to help lead.

ynot
08-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Close and Knit never won a game! Celina goes 6-4 losses go to Melissa, both libertys and Argyle might beat the big C by 50 to much youth for the bobcats and a coaching staff that has yet to prove to me they can win the big one. Big one is the #3 round East Texas has exposed the bobcats track speed the last couple years with football speed and this year will be no different.

Matthew328
08-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Not sold on Decatur, great QB but REALLY young everywhere else...new offensive system will benefit the QB but those young skill kids need to grow up quick...if Lone Star finds a QB they could be a real thorn in the side...they've got great talent everywhere else...

El Campo will reload....they'll be behind Bellville but I could easily see a 9-1, 8-2 type season...El Campo has owned Wharton, Columbus adjusting to a coaching change, Sealy with a coaching change and a very young team to boot....

marler1972
08-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I think the potential to be very good is there but its up to the kids to put it together. With such a small senior class the juniors will need to help lead.

agreed,

speedbump
08-11-2013, 12:36 PM
El Campo is rated in the top 25 in DCTF yet return only 3 starters with 1 on offense and 2 on defense. I realize they are a big school with a tradition of winning but I don't expect them to end up much higher than third in their district this year with Bellville, Wharton, Columbus and Sealy to compete with.

DCTF doesn't do their homework. The Ricebirds JV and Freshman were a combined 18-2. Each lost to 4A Foster and only Bellville played the JV close. EC was a combined 22-0 against 3A opponents (0-1 against 4A drop downs) If the young linemen can get on the same page as the lettermen, Carthage may well get another shot at the Birds while Bellville is facing La Marque..

hollywood
08-11-2013, 01:07 PM
That's a hard question to answer. Especially when there are a lot of unknowns going into 2013. With several teams losing experienced talent, usually the bigger (numbers wise) more solid programs traditionaly reload and have the incoming underclassmen prepared. What I'm interested in is the unknowns or less obvious teams. There will be several dark horses this season that catch many of guard. Brownwood comes to mind. Lots of younger talent that has the opportunity to grow up fast and make Brownwood a deep threat if all stay healthy. Coach Howard is a very formidable HC deserving the job. A lot to prove still but will give Dist 8 a run for the marbles. With 4 teams going to the postseason this year, many talented teams around the state could peak later in the season and have the opportunity to stir up things. 2013 could be a very interesting year without question.

orange machine
08-11-2013, 01:25 PM
I would like to see Brownwood become a force again.

bobcat1
08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Close and Knit never won a game! Celina goes 6-4 losses go to Melissa, both libertys and Argyle might beat the big C by 50 to much youth for the bobcats and a coaching staff that has yet to prove to me they can win the big one. Big one is the #3 round East Texas has exposed the bobcats track speed the last couple years with football speed and this year will be no different. Look another troll.

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Brownwood

Manso/V8
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Brownwood

Where is Rocket?

BwdLion73
08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Brownwood

Got tired of the Johnny Football debate? ... ;)

jason
08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
El Campo.
They were in way over their heads vs Stephenville and only bring back, what, 4 starters?
They'll give up 70 to carthage this year if they meet again.

speedbump
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
El Campo.
They were in way over their heads vs Stephenville and only bring back, what, 4 starters?
They'll give up 70 to carthage this year if they meet again.

So, how many will they score against Stephenville?

vtskneb
08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
So, how many will they score against Stephenville?

Carthage? Not enough

speedbump
08-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Carthage? Not enough

Not nearly enough.

Manso/V8
08-11-2013, 09:12 PM
DCTF doesn't do their homework. The Ricebirds JV and Freshman were a combined 18-2. Each lost to 4A Foster and only Bellville played the JV close. EC was a combined 22-0 against 3A opponents (0-1 against 4A drop downs) If the young linemen can get on the same page as the lettermen, Carthage may well get another shot at the Birds while Bellville is facing La Marque..

I think D25 will be a tough district again this year.
Sealy and Columbus will be stronger than expected.
I expect El Campo to reload, the backups got good playing time, and the higher enrollment from a football rich school is a definite plus.
I am hoping that Bellville can live up to the expectations.
The Bellville-El Campo game will likely determine the district championship.

speedbump
08-11-2013, 09:59 PM
I think D25 will be a tough district again this year.
Sealy and Columbus will be stronger than expected.
I expect El Campo to reload, the backups got good playing time, and the higher enrollment from a football rich school is a definite plus.
I am hoping that Bellville can live up to the expectations.
The Bellville-El Campo game will likely determine the district championship.

I agree. Not only will D-25 be very tough again,we will see improved teams all over region 4. Should be a heck of a lot of fun. With only 3 starters coming back and the Pasture of Pain looming,along with road games in Sealy and Wharton, Gillis and the birds have their work cut out for them. Hopefully they can overcome any setbacks in district and be on a roll and gaining momentum when the playoffs begin.

Weebe
08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
District 26

Pudlugger
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
District 26

I disagree. Yoakum, Gonzales, Cuero and La Grange all are stronger this year. The Leps bring back 7 starters on both sides of the ball and will bring up some excellent juniors a a couple of sophs to fill in the gaps. They made a pretty good comeback attempt against the Ricebirds after a horrendous 28 point route in the first 6 minutes of the game holding El Campo scoreless in the second half and putting up 21 points against the SC finalists. With the talent they have returning this year they should acquit themselves very well in round one. I would be really surprised if D25 runs the table again this year.

Bosqueville
08-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Stephenville

hollywood
08-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Stephenville

Lol, ok

Bosqueville
08-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Lol, ok

I just had to! :wave:

bd62
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Elcampo has Wharton number.they are so discipline and well coached
And have the numbers to reload. It will take a few gamers but don't
Underestimate that program. They will be a force to
Reckon with in R-4 D-1.

87coog
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Lol, ok

agreed, that one made me chuckle.

cowboyandchrist
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Carthage? Not enough

Here we go, just what I have been waiting for. The Dawgs will have more than enough this year for the Ville and anybody else they face. I say it again, the best O line in any classification. This will be the third year for most of the line to play together. Very big, very strong, and very quick off the ball. This team may be as good as 2010, if the D can come through.

hollywood
08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Here we go, just what I have been waiting for. The Dawgs will have more than enough this year for the Ville and anybody else they face. I say it again, the best O line in any classification. This will be the third year for most of the line to play together. Very big, very strong, and very quick off the ball. This team may be as good as 2010, if the D can come through.

I do not doubt that Carthage will be very strong this season, again. But, it'll take more than 2010 talent this season Cowboy.

87coog
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM

have you heard about LM's O line? some of the guys were telling me that on "The ole coach" talk show they were ranting about it. I actually started hearing about this group about two years ago. What does Carthage have coming back defensively? I would love to see them and the Ville go at it.

Pudlugger
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Elcampo has Wharton number.they are so discipline and well coached
And have the numbers to reload. It will take a few gamers but don't
Underestimate that program. They will be a force to
Reckon with in R-4 D-1.

I don't really disagree with much of your assessment of El Campo. I also think that they will be strong by year's end but will be third in their district. They are young and will need to gel and they are facing several strong teams in D25.

maestro
08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Since the thread is about being overrated, there are only two favorites, El Campo and Bellville, and they will not be over rated by the district. Clearly the top teams,
.wharton, Columbus, sealy, these three teams will literally battle it out . I think that it could be as tough as first down to first down battles.

Columbus and sealy have the talent. New coaches .....new motivation????

Wharton got it done in one year with Coach Wrights staff so new staffs are not a problem.

Matthew328
08-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Since the thread is about being overrated, there are only two favorites, El Campo and Bellville, and they will not be over rated by the district. Clearly the top teams,
.wharton, Columbus, sealy, these three teams will literally battle it out . I think that it could be as tough as first down to first down battles.

Columbus and sealy have the talent. New coaches .....new motivation????

Wharton got it done in one year with Coach Wrights staff so new staffs are not a problem.

Each team reacts and responds differently to a new staff....most would agree that Wharton prior to Wright was a poorly coached team and usually under achieved. So the new staff was an upgrade and Wharton benefitted in his one year there...I wouldn't classify Columbus as poorly coached or under-acheiving a year ago from what I saw on film at least. I also didnt get the impression Sealy was super talented aside from a couple of kids, one could argue they did under acheive last year....

ctown81
08-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Carthage? Not enough

I like this type of party! Last year both Cowboy and I openly admitted that Carthage couldn't beat the VIlle. Turnovers had a lot to do with that. I'm not in full trash talk mode as of now but once I see that the turnover bug is fixed, I will be ready to say no repeat for the VIlle.

hollywood
08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I like this type of party! Last year both Cowboy and I openly admitted that Carthage couldn't beat the VIlle. Turnovers had a lot to do with that. I'm not in full trash talk mode as of now but once I see that the turnover bug is fixed, I will be ready to say no repeat for the VIlle.

Treading lightly is a safe bet for you Carthage folks. There are new big "dogs" in the mix now. ;) El Campo, La Marque, Navasota, Kilgore oh and Stephenville. :D

By the way, Stephenville will have to prove over the next few weeks they can gel as a unit and continue the chemistry of being a top tier team. If they can, oh my. More talent than last years team overall. :eek: And with 4/5 OL returning and several key experienced leaders... shoot, repeat?! They'll be hungry.

ctown81
08-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Treading lightly is a safe bet for you Carthage folks. There are new big "dogs" in the mix now. ;) El Campo, La Marque, Navasota, Kilgore oh and Stephenville. :D

By the way, Stephenville will have to prove over the next few weeks they can gel as a unit and continue the chemistry of being a top tier team. If they can, oh my. More talent than last years team overall. :eek: And with 4/5 OL returning and several key experienced leaders... shoot, repeat?! They'll be hungry.

If we play up to our potential and I think we will, a repeat will not be in the stars for you guys. As for the others..... if we meet El Campo again my prediction is "hide yo wife, hide your kids". It may get ugly. Wasn't expecting to be this bold until late November but you're bringing it out of me Hollywood.:2thumbsup

duckhunter
08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Port Isabel.

hollywood
08-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Port Isabel.

Uh oh. A bag of popcorn has been opened.

:1popcorn:

speedbump
08-13-2013, 03:50 PM
have you heard about LM's O line? some of the guys were telling me that on "The ole coach" talk show they were ranting about it. I actually started hearing about this group about two years ago. What does Carthage have coming back defensively? I would love to see them and the Ville go at it.

With Stephenville, Kilgore and the Birds all in semi final games I k.k.. k... kinda missed you guys. Geeez, I must need to change my medication.

MustangFootball
08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Ingleside will likely go D1 again, a Mustang team that was in the quarter finals last season and lost to El Campo by 11 after trailing them by 3 in the 4th quarter.....Ingleside went into that game undermanned with 4 starters out and 2 back ups that played a huge roll for the Mustangs. All the LBs were out in that games, we had underclassman stepping up and safety's playing LBs, player playing new rolls for that game......Ingleside will go D1 and likely make a deep run.:cheerl:

Manso/V8
08-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Ingleside will likely go D1 again, a Mustang team that was in the quarter finals last season and lost to El Campo by 11 after trailing them by 3 in the 4th quarter.....Ingleside went into that game undermanned with 4 starters out and 2 back ups that played a huge roll for the Mustangs. All the LBs were out in that games, we had underclassman stepping up and safety's playing LBs, player playing new rolls for that game......Ingleside will go D1 and likely make a deep run.:cheerl:

I think El Campo might have been toying with the Mustangs in that game.
Last year they always seemed to score enough to win and then slow it down a bit.
They ran the table until the SC.
I don't recall the Ricebirds winning by huge margins, but they won.

WOS87
08-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Silsbee

OHAI!!! I'm BACK!!!!!!

hollywood
08-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Last year they always seemed to score enough to win and then slow it down a bit.

I wouldn't say EC ran the table against Carthage in the semi's. Up to that point, pretty much. Had enough for the W though until the big show. When they got to the SC to play Stephenville, they were obviously outmatched.

MustangFootball
08-14-2013, 10:40 PM
El Campo was the better team that night that showed.....they were 11 points better than an undermanned Mustang team.... If the Ricebirds are not better than last year the outcome might be different if they meet up again....I have the up most respect for the Ricebirds they were as advertised big, strong, fast and physical and I'm sure they will be right back there in the mix.

Manso/V8
08-15-2013, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't say EC ran the table against Carthage in the semi's. Up to that point, pretty much. Had enough for the W though until the big show. When they got to the SC to play Stephenville, they were obviously outmatched.

You are right, I forgot about the Carthage game!
That was a close one, but they got the W and went in to the SC undeafeted.

I wish I could have seen that SC game.

ccmom
08-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Silsbee

OHAI!!! I'm BACK!!!!!!

Now we're talking!! :clap:

jason
08-15-2013, 08:12 AM
I wish I could have seen that SC game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-GJdfrdIw

TXfootballboi!
08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Watch out for alvarado this year! They have a very solid team this year that could make a run!

hollywood
08-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Watch out for alvarado this year! They have a very solid team this year that could make a run!

That's said every year. We'll see. Glen Rose beat them last year. :crazy:They would have to get past Stephenville twice to make a run. :taunt:

toddg
08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
That's said every year. We'll see. Glen Rose beat them last year. :crazy:They would have to get past Stephenville twice to make a run. :taunt:
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13911/0045.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)
every dog has its day...they had theirs against us..

TXfootballboi!
08-15-2013, 05:19 PM
So alvarado would have to play stephenville twice??

hollywood
08-15-2013, 07:14 PM
So alvarado would have to play stephenville twice??

La-Doy!

They will play in district and in quarter finals if they make it that far this season. I think they can. Unless AW, Brownwood, Burnet, or possibly Graham (depending how their district plays out) don't beat them out first.

hollywood
08-15-2013, 07:16 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13911/0045.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)
every dog has its day...they had theirs against us..

Yeah, I'm thinking a little payback this season from the Injuns is in store. Poor Tigers.

SilsbeeFan
08-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Why you say
SILSBEE ?

Silsbee

OHAI!!! I'm BACK!!!!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
08-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Everybody above south texas is overated!!!

:lies:
LOL

buckeyebob
08-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Silsbee

OHAI!!! I'm BACK!!!!!!

It is great to see you back...much missed

MUSTANG69
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Ingleside had over 400 yds. offense. Ingleside was also inside the 20 yd line 4 times and did not score. El Campo's defense stepped up and did their job. I don't think El Campo was toying around. They were a good team and did what they had to do to win the game.

Slick50
08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Hollywood. Hehe.