PDA

View Full Version : Best Gameday Atmosphere (Opponents)

Bulldog92
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Where have your schools played that seemed the most intimidating or electric? I'm not talking about neutral-field playoff games, just regular season. I thought about asking about gameday atmospheres in general, but everyone, including myself, would favor their own school. The toughest places for Jasper to play were West Orange-Stark, Silsbee, and Port Neches-Groves when I was there. Those places were electric every time and it was fun regardless of the outcome of the game. What about you guys? Was there a place that you were stoked to walk into every other year?

True94
07-18-2002, 01:35 PM
When you play for manor and go to elgin, if that doesnt get you hyped nothing will.

duckbutter
07-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Going to PNG and Ozen are always a blast.

toby070
07-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Two years ago, Wimberley at Burnet (both undefeated in district) was one of those games that felt like a playoff game going in. I can't stand being in a press box, and I remember when I walked in on the sideline, and the first thing I noticed was that Burnet had all their playoff trips on their scoreboard, and they DO have some playoff history. I don't know how the kids felt about it, but I was a little intimidated :-) Those kinds of games just have a different feel. Last year in Wimberley had teh same feel, but Wimberley's stadium just isn't as intimidating.

It's 5A, but the best game for atmosphere that I ever saw in the regular season was Hays vs San MArcos at Bobcat Stadium a few years ago. Bobcat holds 16,000 plus, maybe even pushes 18,000, and it was an overflow crowd that looked to be split almost exactly half and half between San Marcos and Hays fans, and let me tell you, both schools wanted it bad. It was louder than any game I've ever seen. (For the record, the frickin Rebels beat my Rattlers as usual)

LeopardPride
07-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Liberty Eylau at MT Pleasant
When we were a 4a school we were always smaller in numbers. Their football team would line up on the side line an stretch from the 5yard line to the other 5 yard line---every thing else was painted GOLD or BLACK there colors.VERY INTEMIDATING.

eye of the tiger
07-18-2002, 06:36 PM
I would say for Commerce it would be Forney and Alvarado. Tough places to win for the visiting team.

Old Green
07-18-2002, 06:44 PM
When Cuero and Sealy and Cuero and Yoakum play the Stadiums are filled to capacity. It has a playoff atmosphere.

Atl_Rabb_Fan
07-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Going to Queen City. There is a bad rivalry between both teams. With the stadiums only being about 2 miles away from each other and both towns being conected with nothing between them. I mean it doesnt matter if you are there a hour early you are still going to have a hard time finding a place to sit.Then you have both sides talking alot of trash and most of the time there is alot of cops there to make you think that somthing bad will happen.It is usually intimidating on both teams though. No matter who is at home or not.

sinton66
07-18-2002, 07:09 PM
Man, I really racked my brain on this one!Down in the coastal bend, I would say that 2A Refugio's Bobcat Stadium is one of the toughest for opponents to come to, and they don't have any signs that I know of(been a while since I was there though). Just heavy on tradition. 4A Calallen must be getting there too. 3A's (lately) gotta be Sinton or Mathis.

sinfan75
07-18-2002, 07:30 PM
Bobcat Stadium in Refugio!Been there since the 60's and seats more people than any 3A school in the Corpus area I believe.All they gotta do is come in them black and orange uni's and you can just feel the intimidation startin!

Bigbell#25
07-18-2002, 08:03 PM
I play for the Westwood Panthers, and i think one of the best places to play is Crockett. they have a nice stadium and that place just gets you crunk.

bigman33
07-18-2002, 09:00 PM
I remember a few years back, my first varsity game ever. We played at La Grange. LG is a very tough place to play. I guess Bellville and Sealy players laugh at this one, but for some reason, Giddings can not get the LG jinks off there backs. But, that was experience I will never forget.

M.PIRATEFAN
07-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Say sinton66, back in 2000 Mathis and Sinton were undefeated and we were going to play our first district game against each other.We were both 3-0.Mathis won 21-14.Then the next week Mathis had to play George West which was 4-0.So were we, and that was a good game as well.We won 19-14.Can't wait for football season.GOOOOOOOOO MATHIS PIRATES!!!!!!!

sinton66
07-18-2002, 11:21 PM
I hear ya MPirateFan! I can't wait either. Could be a great year for both our programs.
Best of luck!

Jacket2000
07-18-2002, 11:43 PM
One of the most intimidating places Ive ever played was Maverick Stadium in Marshall. With the rickedy bleachers and everything in red with the pain peeling, it reminded me of an old Civil War battlefield.
Another intimidating place is Richardson Lake Highland's stadium. Not sure what it's actually called, but it's nicknamed "The Boneyard", and as you're approaching it, you see "Welcome to the Boneyard" written under the overpasses.
J2K

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-18-2002, 11:50 PM
With regard to the Port Isabel Tarpons, the best NON-district game is always the annual "Battle of Highway 100", Port Isabel vs. Los Fresnos. The atmosphere, and the fans are always great, regardless of where the game is being played.

As far as district games go, now that they are doing well, Rio Hondo's Bobcat Stadium can get crankin' pretty good, especially if it's the Tarpons in town.

And, from personal experience, the La Feria Lions, and their fans are RABID. They LOVE to talk smack, and they are incredibly loud when the Lions make a good play. Plus their stadium is very nice. Great atmosphere

In regards to playoff games, Port Isabel has played a lot of it's first round games in Falfurrias. No matter who the Tarpons play, it's a great stadium, and there's always a great atmosphere.

Plus, if there is ANY team whose fans can tear an eardrum or two....it's the fans from Sinton. INCREDIBLY loud, and there's a lot of 'em! Sealy's fans can be pretty raucous too. But BY FAR the loudest crowd I have EVER heard, even though they're not 3A, it's the fans from Port Neches Groves.

Jacket2000
07-19-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:
With regard to the Port Isabel Tarpons, the best NON-district game is always the annual "Battle of Highway 100", Port Isabel vs. Los Fresnos. The atmosphere, and the fans are always great, regardless of where the game is being played.

As far as district games go, now that they are doing well, Rio Hondo's Bobcat Stadium can get crankin' pretty good, especially if it's the Tarpons in town.

And, from personal experience, the La Feria Lions, and their fans are RABID. They LOVE to talk smack, and they are incredibly loud when the Lions make a good play. Plus their stadium is very nice. Great atmosphere

In regards to playoff games, Port Isabel has played a lot of it's first round games in Falfurrias. No matter who the Tarpons play, it's a great stadium, and there's always a great atmosphere.

Plus, if there is ANY team whose fans can tear an eardrum or two....it's the fans from Sinton. INCREDIBLY loud, and there's a lot of 'em! Sealy's fans can be pretty raucous too. But BY FAR the loudest crowd I have EVER heard, even though they're not 3A, it's the fans from Port Neches Groves.

You want a loud crowd? Stephenvile's "Can Fans" are by far the loudest in Texas!
J2K

Old Green
07-19-2002, 07:06 AM
I agree Jacket. Stephenville "Can Fans" hundreds of them ranging from coffee cans to propane bottles inside the Alamo Dome will make you deaf . Glad they're not 3A, would hate to hear those ball bearings rattle for an hour.

[This message has been edited by Old Green (edited July 19, 2002).]

Matthew328
07-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Stephenville is VERY intimidating...those cans are LOUD...another intimidating place that Everman has had to travel to is Waxahachie...with that huge 25 foot indian in the north end zone looking down on you it can be intimidating...

Matthew328
07-19-2002, 12:41 PM
I think The Boneyard is offically called Wildcat-Ram Stadium...but 99% of the people in DFW call it The Boneyard

sinton66
07-19-2002, 12:52 PM
(tee hee) TarponFan, you've been to a Sinton game or two, I can tell. I'm afraid us Sintonites would have to plead "Guilty as charged, your Honor"! NOISEMAKERS? we don't need no stinkin' noisemakers!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
(tee hee) TarponFan, you've been to a Sinton game or two, I can tell. I'm afraid us Sintonites would have to plead "Guilty as charged, your Honor"! NOISEMAKERS? we don't need no stinkin' noisemakers!

I've been to a couple of Port Isabel vs. Sinton games. First one was in 1990, we played y'all at McAllen Memorial stadium in the Quarterfinals. You guys were DEAFENING, and rightfully so, Sinton beat Port Isabel 21-7.

The last one was the area round playoff game in 1996. Port Isabel beat Sinton 40-20. Sinton66, you have to agree that Port Isabel's fan can get pretty loud too. (FYI, the stands on the P.I. side were full....I was sitting on the Sinton side, P.I. letterman jacket and all, but your fans were really nice to me after I had explained why I was sitting on the Sinton side)

I wish I hadn't lost these tapes, but I had film of Port Isabel's 1994 playoff games. There were three games in particular that the Port Isabel crowds were just unbelieveable. The film I had were taken from the stands across from the Port Isabel side. With the volume turned up, you can hear Port Isabel's crowd just going nuts......even though I was on the sidelines, every time I even THINK about it, it still gives me goose bumps. It was incredible. I'll see if I can find someone who has copies of those games.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-19-2002, 04:11 PM
By the way, the games are as follows....

Regional Semi-Final, Port Isabel vs. #1 Cuero, Port Isabel tied Cuero 20-20 and advanced via penetrations 5-3 (before overtime came into effect)

Region IV Final, Port Isabel vs. Bandera, Port Isabel beat Bandera 24-11. Highlights include 3 circus catches by WR Gilbert Verduzco, and a spectacular 55-yard TD run by TB Jimmy Gonzalez.

State Semi-Finals, Port Isabel vs. Sealy, Port Isabel lose to eventual state champ Sealy 34-13. Highlights include another circus catch by WR Verduzco (TD got called back), and several running plays by various RBs that went for BIG yardage.

I'll be going down to Port Isabel 2nd weekend in August. I'll see if I can get new copies of these games. I will post on here whether I was able to or not. If I AM able to obtain new copies of these games, and if anyone would like a copy made for them, please let me know.

OrangeBlood
07-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Cuero is nasty, especially when they have a good team....

sinton66
07-19-2002, 04:43 PM
TarponFan, I was at the game in 90 at McAllen, and I do remember PI fans getting rowdy also.( I also remember yelling MY head off too!) That wing-T of Sinton's back then was awesome wasn't it? Don't know if you caught any Sinton games this last season, but MAN, they got some JETS. Any idea how good PI will be this year? Sinton should come back fairly strong, returned all but one skill player, and the kid taking his place is even faster.
And yea, man, I would expect Sinton people to be nice to a visitor. They are a pretty good bunch of folks. Thanks for the comment.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited July 19, 2002).]

SintonFan
07-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Speaking of copies of games, I'm interested in copies of Sinton's games from last year. TarponFanInNorthTexas, I might be interested in some of those, too. Let us know when you get them.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan:
Speaking of copies of games, I'm interested in copies of Sinton's games from last year. TarponFanInNorthTexas, I might be interested in some of those, too. Let us know when you get them.

I'll be in Port Isabel August 10 and may spend a week down there. I should be able to obtain copies of those games from my old head coach (who is now at Brownsville Hanna). If there are any of the P.I. 1994 playoff games that you would want to have, it's the one against Cuero. It was voted 1994 Class 3A State Game of the Year. I'll tell you, it was one for the ages.

Sinton66: Port Isabel's team this year should be just as good, or even better this year. They will have a decent amount of speed at the skill positions. If there is going to be a drawback, it will be their youth. The team is going to be made up mostly of Juniors and Sophomores. The Sophomore group, however, has been kicking everyone's butt since JH, and are considered along with the incoming Freshman group, as a group to watch out for.

sinton66
07-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Sounds good TarponFan, I'll be pulling for ya! Best of luck to Port Isabel.

QBKilla
07-20-2002, 12:58 PM
One of the best atmospheres for Barbers Hill would be at Hamshire Fannett. Ever since a few bench clearing(and bleacher clearing brawls) a while back it has been hell for whoever the visiting team is. Doesn't matter the records or the talent level of the teams it is always gonna be a dog fight with some very BIG hits.

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Hey!! If you think that the game with Cuero was something for the ages, check out the PI game against Hondo in 1981, I never saw a game with that kind of hiting. It was just wild. You could here leather poping all over the football field.

As much as I like the outcome at the 1994 PI - Cureo game, there were two games that in my mind rise above all others. PI -vs- Hondo 1981, and the PI -vs- Refugio 1981. In the Refugio, PI game, according the Houston Papers this was the two fastest ball clubs ever to face each other. Both teams had termendous speed. But what was wild, is you could not hear, because the noise was so loud. The Ref's stop the game several times due to noise, which for me was unreal. I would never thought that could happen at Texas A&I Football complex. If you find a game film of the 1981 team, I would love a copy. It has been said that the best team ever fielded was the 1981 Tarpon team. An I would have to agree!!

I'll be in Port Isabel August 10 and may spend a week down there. I should be able to obtain copies of those games from my old head coach (who is now at Brownsville Hanna). If there are any of the P.I. 1994 playoff games that you would want to have, it's the one against Cuero. It was voted 1994 Class 3A State Game of the Year. I'll tell you, it was one for the ages.

Sinton66: Port Isabel's team this year should be just as good, or even better this year. They will have a decent amount of speed at the skill positions. If there is going to be a drawback, it will be their youth. The team is going to be made up mostly of Juniors and Sophomores. The Sophomore group, however, has been kicking everyone's butt since JH, and are considered along with the incoming Freshman group, as a group to watch out for.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 07:22 PM
BigTarp - I doubt there would be ANY film available on the 1981 team. Back then, the film used was on reels, now all the film is on VHS tapes. Even IF there were some film of the 1981 team, who would have it? I knew Coach Tony had some REAL OLD tapes, as far back as 1988 if I remember correctly, when Chad Flores was the star running back that year.

As far as the 1981 team being better than the 1994 team, I agree. The only difference is that the 1981 team played one fewer playoff game, since the area round of the playoffs did not exist then. As far as speed goes, heck, I thought the 1994 team was pretty darn quick, i'd still like to see film of the 1981 team and see how quick they were......but I doubt there is any. I remember Donald Guillot being incredibly fast, even though I was only 4 years old at the time, I still remember.

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 07:57 PM
I remember both teams well, I was 25 when that game was played. I never saw a team with that kinda speed. In fact, in one game with Edna in 1980, I watched an offense lineman run down Edna fastest ball player. His name was Hitower. He intersepted a pass in his own endzone, there was no one around him to keep him from running it back. He bolted our of the endzone, but some 30 yards later he was jerked down by an offense guard. He was so shocked, because he turned a 4.3 40. He was shaking his head. Edna fans were in shock. Not to mention our fans. I had no idea just how fast we realy were. It wasnt till the Refugio game in 1981, that we saw how blazing fast, they were. The 1994 PI team, would not have been able to stay with them. I do not know how they could have stoped them. The PI 81 team ran the blind option. I have never seen another team in any class run the option pitch without checking to see if the back was there or not. The team was on a timming that could not be described. You would have to see it to beleive it. I remember when donnell took the opening snap against Los Fresnos. Los Fresnos was still in their stance, when donnell came blasting around the corner. The Linebacker came after him, he pitched just before being hit, and all hell broke lose, when herrera when flying bye. 67 yards later and a touchdown. They were fast on both sides of the ball. There defense would have killed the 1994 team. If they thought they had trouble moving the ball against cuero, i doubt, they would have been able to even move the ball. This team only allowed 9 point to be score in district and a total of 34 point the entire season. 3 point came when a penatly cost port isabel. Hidalgo kicked a 50 yard field goal.
Donnell sliped in the rain against La Feria, allowing La Feria a touchdown. The only other point came when Port Isabel played cammeron. Cammeron scored 25 points. This team recorded 11 shutouts. what a ball club. You only see this kinda team once in a life time.

BigTarp - I doubt there would be ANY film available on the 1981 team. Back then, the film used was on reels, now all the film is on VHS tapes. Even IF there were some film of the 1981 team, who would have it? I knew Coach Tony had some REAL OLD tapes, as far back as 1988 if I remember correctly, when Chad Flores was the star running back that year.

As far as the 1981 team being better than the 1994 team, I agree. The only difference is that the 1981 team played one fewer playoff game, since the area round of the playoffs did not exist then. As far as speed goes, heck, I thought the 1994 team was pretty darn quick, i'd still like to see film of the 1981 team and see how quick they were......but I doubt there is any. I remember Donald Guillot being incredibly fast, even though I was only 4 years old at the time, I still remember.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 09:54 PM
since you are such the Tarpon historian, here's something i've been curious about. As far as yardage gained on offense, who was better.......1981 or 1994? I have heard that both the 81 and 94 teams had great offenses, but the 94 offense gained more yardage than 81. Could you research that?

Wunderkindepiphany
07-30-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't attend a 3A school, but was referred to this site from www.rgvsports.com. (http://www.rgvsports.com.) Upon reading this strand, I HAD to post my opinion on the most raucous football atmosphere. Now, although this isn't a district 3A game, I have to say that the Los Fresnos -vs- P.I. is one of the loudest games in the state of Texas. And I have been to the dome for state championships 3 times...This annual game never fails to produce vandalism, handcuffs, fisticuffs, what have you...it can be named. Shoot, you can still see the paint of this last year's vandalism on Los Fresnos High School's front foyer floor. And it took a while to get the paint off the PI watertower as well...heh, heh...anyway, if ya'll are looking for a raucous environment you should check out the annual Los Fresnos -vs- PI game, its straight crazy. I cant wait to see it this year, considering all the emotion that will be involved with Coach V's death...something to watch...and it's in LF this year tarpons...

Big Tarp 74
07-30-2002, 06:39 PM
I beleive the 1994 team had more yardage, but it took the 1981 team less time to score. They out scored the 1994 team, and they had a much better defense only allowing 34 Point in 14 games. That Avg. 2.4 points per game. The 81 team also lead in intersept for touchdowns. I will say this, the 94 team was good, but would have been intemidate by the 81 defense. If they played, the quarterback on the 94 team would be sacked hard an often. The 94 team would not been able to pass against the 94 team just due to it tremendous speed in the secondary, and if not carefull, would see six point light up fast after attempting to pass against them. I never saw anyone complete more that a couple of passes in anyone game. And if they did it was for less than 5 yards. I know of no way to compaire these two teams. The 81 defense was lightyears faster than the entire Offense of 94, as well as much bigger!

since you are such the Tarpon historian, here's something i've been curious about. As far as yardage gained on offense, who was better.......1981 or 1994? I have heard that both the 81 and 94 teams had great offenses, but the 94 offense gained more yardage than 81. Could you research that?

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited July 30, 2002).]

footballgal
07-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Wunderkindepiphany:
I don't attend a 3A school, but was referred to this site from www.rgvsports.com. (http://www.rgvsports.com.) Upon reading this strand, I HAD to post my opinion on the most raucous football atmosphere. Now, although this isn't a district 3A game, I have to say that the Los Fresnos -vs- P.I. is one of the loudest games in the state of Texas. And I have been to the dome for state championships 3 times...This annual game never fails to produce vandalism, handcuffs, fisticuffs, what have you...it can be named. Shoot, you can still see the paint of this last year's vandalism on Los Fresnos High School's front foyer floor. And it took a while to get the paint off the PI watertower as well...heh, heh...anyway, if ya'll are looking for a raucous environment you should check out the annual Los Fresnos -vs- PI game, its straight crazy. I cant wait to see it this year, considering all the emotion that will be involved with Coach V's death...something to watch...and it's in LF this year tarpons...

Yes, it's in LF again this year like last year! But I think the results might just be a little bit different this year. But yeah the atomosphere the same wild & crazy and the division of families for that one week as both towns have family and friends each other town.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
I beleive the 1994 team had more yardage, but it took the 1981 team less time to score. They out scored the 1994 team, and they had a much better defense only allowing 34 Point in 14 games. That Avg. 2.4 points per game. The 81 team also lead in intersept for touchdowns. I will say this, the 94 team was good, but would have been intemidate by the 81 defense. If they played, the quarterback on the 94 team would be sacked hard an often. The 94 team would not been able to pass against the 94 team just due to it tremendous speed in the secondary, and if not carefull, would see six point light up fast after attempting to pass against them. I never saw anyone complete more that a couple of passes in anyone game. And if they did it was for less than 5 yards. I know of no way to compaire these two teams. The 81 defense was lightyears faster than the entire Offense of 94, as well as much bigger!

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited July 30, 2002).]

I could care less about the defense. I only care about offense, and the fact that the 1994 team (my team) outgained the 1981 team makes me happy.

Big Tarp 74
07-31-2002, 02:00 PM
Well, I am glad, I realize that your from the 1994 team. I am not putting down either one of them. They were just to different style ball clubs. The 1994 team ground it out. The 1981 team just optioned by teams. Either passing, or running. But what made them very special, they were a humble ball club. The 1994 team won many peoples hearts with it win over Cuero. That will always be a game people from all over the area will allways referback to when think of PI teams. Many years have passed, people do not remember the 1981 team, as they do the 1994 team. Time has a way of moving on. The 1994 team was and still remains the team to have won the most games in the history of Port Isabel. All I was saying was, I would have hated to face the 1981 team. They did not have the publicity. And the sportwritters were for every giving the other team a good write up, and was putting down, the little 3A team from the valley. You have stated you were very young when this team played. But I was not. And I have seen both play. Like I said, The speed in which the 1981 team had, was something to behold. Coach V, tried to model all his ball clubs defenses after this team. The only problem he had was trying to place kids in positions with the same size and speed the 1981 team had. The closest he came was 1994. The Defense End PI had in 1981 was just increditable. Why do you think Coach V pushed Gabe his son so hard, he was trying to make him as tough as Mike, and you know what he came close. Gabe was taller than mike, but still lacked Mike speed, and strength. I beleive Gabe did better against the pass, but had a harder time with the runs. As for Mike, no one ran his way, they only did it once, and payed a harsh price for it. That is the reason Gabe Pena, was such a star. Because no one wanted to run Mikes way, due to his hard hitting. The other reason for the 81 teams succes, was due to team speed. This is were the two teams realy differ. The 1981 team was blazing fast, in all areas. They blocked better than any team I ever watched.

I could care less about the defense. I only care about offense, and the fact that the 1994 team (my team) outgained the 1981 team makes me happy.