PDA

View Full Version : JFF selling autographs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

duckhunter
08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
This kid is an idiot. Good football player, but nothing more than a spoiled rich kid.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs

hookandladder
08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Is making headlines again, word is he has been profiting on autographs. If true could be out of football this season, crazy that someone as rich as his family is that he would be on involved in this. Pretty stupid if true .

hookandladder
08-04-2013, 04:46 PM
You beat me to it, amazing .

regaleagle
08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
You just can't fix stupid....enuff said. I'm sure dear ol' Dad has tried umpteen million times already, but the damage has been done. He's old enough to know better, and in today's world of social networkisms this kind of stuff is well-warned to athletes, esp. high-profile ones. Mirror, mirror on the wall....who's the biggest dummy of them all??? Gee....it's me!(says JFF to himself).

Bosqueville
08-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm by no means an A&M fan but I want to like this kid but he makes it very hard. Does anyone see a clear difference in this kid and Robert Griffin? I think so..

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 05:17 PM
He's just a 20 year old kid leave him alone.

Also does the cotton bowl win and wins get vacated if this turns out true?

Do the ags play him this year while investigation is going on?

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Johnny Paycheck

Saggy Aggie
08-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Really stupid if true.

Doubt it's true though. Kid is under a microscope and A&M should be all over every dime this kid uses. If somebody let him do that then they're retarded

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Really stupid if true.

Doubt it's true though. Kid is under a microscope and A&M should be all over every dime this kid uses. If somebody let him do that then they're retarded

I heard on texags that its an espn conspiracy to protect uts brand

hookandladder
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Man I agree hope this is not true , no one can be that stupid or can he.

Saggy Aggie
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Where's the proof?

maestro
08-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I recently read this week's Sports Illustrated article on him.

It mentions how FANS are profiting off his kindness to sign most anything.

Then, those FANS put it on eBay .

He has had to change his attitudes towards saying yes to all autographs, but I doubt if this is anymore than negative gossip again.

If you want good insight as to the pluses and HUGE minuses of being so young and a Heisman Trophy winner it is a good article.

I am not an AGGIE but I am hoping that he can perform with his teammates and have a positive football experience this year.

maestro
08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
If you EVER thought negatively about college football/basketball players getting SOME stipend during their playing days, I suggest you read the Sports Illustrated article from this week's mag about how Texas A&M has profited because of the success of that Heisman.

It does not seem right!!!!

It changed my opinion of that argument.

Read the article!!!!

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 05:53 PM
60k educations aren't enough. Meal plans aren't enough. All the tutoring you need isn't enough.

NastySlot
08-04-2013, 06:07 PM
60k educations aren't enough. Meal plans aren't enough. All the tutoring you need isn't enough.

I believe the same as you it should be enough...plus there are many things you didn't list that athletes get.

but your buddy in the arguement earlier this week said something that compounds the problem that the other poster just responded to you about....your buddy said we should thank the bandwagon and (sorry) t-shirt fan for the money the universities make. I remember the day when the boosters were the problem. IMO the problem now lies with those the run the( AD's to marketing dept.) for the universities. College sports are everyday inching closer to the professional levels...heck the NCAA is even tied up in battle about profiting from using the likenesses of players.

what a mess.. glad we still have H.S sports

Manso/V8
08-04-2013, 06:14 PM
It seems like some of you are assuming JFF is guilty without knowing all the facts.

ESPN is all over this story trying to generate controversy and garner attention from people just like you.

I get the feeling that there is nothing to this story other than the story itself.

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 06:15 PM
If athletes start getting paid it will bankrupt college sports because you just can't pay one group of kids. What about walk ons? Non scholarship players? In all sports and lower tier universities.

Roughneck93
08-04-2013, 06:21 PM
:1popcorn:

hookandladder
08-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Manso, no one is saying he is guilty other then ESPN reporter but you know what they say. Where there is smoke there is fire, sad very sad if true

hookandladder
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
They are reporting that he signed 999 autographs for one dealer at the NC game , that makes no sense for free.

NastySlot
08-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Manso, no one is saying he is guilty other then ESPN reporter but you know what they say. Where there is smoke there is fire, sad very sad if true

i thought they were just reporting that the NCAA was investgating or has been. Also said that two sources witnessed the signings but saw no money exchange hands. One reporter said that this could indeed become serious if true (money exchanging).

FB-fanatic
08-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't set it up that profits go to some type of corporation, to be collected upon graduation. If so many supposedly saw him signing, I seriously doubt he took direct proceeds.

NastySlot
08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't set it up that profits go to some type of corporation, to be collected upon graduation. If so many supposedly saw him signing, I seriously doubt he took direct proceeds.

I don't think he could still do that legally.

Manso/V8
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM

ESPN profits from creating smoke, even if there is no fire.

NastySlot
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
If athletes start getting paid it will bankrupt college sports because you just can't pay one group of kids. What about walk ons? Non scholarship players? In all sports and lower tier universities.

The NCAA will probably have to change to allow for monetary compensation soon.....this lawsuit brought by the players for use of their likeness will just be the tip of the iceberg for future suits. I wouldn't be surprised to see a suit brought about which players (like manziel) sue for loss of profits.

Bosqueville
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I don't know if it's true or not but you can't ignore the troubling trend every month of something he may or may not have done.

Bosqueville
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
They are reporting that he signed 999 autographs for one dealer at the NC game , that makes no sense for free.

I agree, he went to this guys house to make him him tons of money out of the kindness of his heart. I don't think so.

Aesculus gilmus
08-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I read this entire article a few days ago.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

After reading it, not only did I have more sympathy for the guy than ever, but I also got the feeling that it is Texas A&M and the surrounding communities of Aggieland who are overly scrutinizing him. Hard to believe A&M would turn in the guy who brought them back to national prominence, but Aggies are a strange folk. I think sometimes maybe they can't stand prosperity.

regaleagle
08-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I guess Johnny Boy likes roller coasters, huh?

YTBulldogs
08-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Not his fault. The alcohol made him do it. He was not thinking clearly.

Aesculus gilmus
08-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Not his fault. The alcohol made him do it. He was not thinking clearly.

The alcohol is making him do a lot of it and it's still his fault, of course. I learned that the hard way in my drinking career, which thankfully ended 14 years ago (right before it was about to end me).

I also think there is something about Aggies such that they don't ever want a single individual to get bigger than the program. Clearly, he is at this point. Also, everyone knows he's leaving after this season and some at A&M may actually be willing to argue you should make the transition to a new quarterback RIGHT NOW and not wait until the end of the season.

I myself am on record favoring a straight-up "trade" of the sober, high-character, not-that-talented David Ash to A&M in exchange for Manziel. Ash would make a great Aggie. Just a good, solid team player, FCA chapter president type of guy. He won't win many games, but he'll never embarrass all you Aggies off the field, which seems to be the most important thing to a lot of you.

db1980
08-04-2013, 09:27 PM
The alcohol is making him do a lot of it and it's still his fault, of course. I learned that the hard way in my drinking career, which thankfully ended 14 years ago (right before it was about to end me).

I also think there is something about Aggies such that they don't ever want a single individual to get bigger than the program. Clearly, he is at this point. Also, everyone knows he's leaving after this season and some at A&M may actually be willing to argue you should make the transition to a new quarterback RIGHT NOW and not wait until the end of the season.

I myself am on record favoring a straight-up "trade" of the sober, high-character, not-that-talented David Ash to A&M in exchange for Manziel. Ash would make a great Aggie. Just a good, solid team player, FCA chapter president type of guy. He won't win many games, but he'll never embarrass all you Aggies off the field, which seems to be the most important thing to a lot of you.

I just asked why our society couldn't hold people to higher standards and was called self righteous. I'm going to stick around and see what they call you for wanting to take Ash the Longhorn. Over on SDC it was asked by an Aggie if Manziel may be sabatoging the Aggies since he is truly a Longhorn at heart!!!!

navscanmaster
08-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Christmas is here for bears, horns, and raiders everywhere!

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Christmas is here for bears, horns, and raiders everywhere!

Yes, Texas is paying ESPN to find bad things on Manziel. Amazing to say the least, wake up.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 06:12 AM
With Texas A&M’s star quarterback possibly facing ineligibility, the LVH SuperBook and Wynn Las Vegas took the Aggies’ regular-season win total (9.5) off their boards. The SuperBook also took down its Games of the Year involving the Aggies. A&M's games against Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU and Missouri all had early point spreads hung on them.

“It’s hard to believe he could be this dumb,” SuperBook assistant manager Ed Salmons told The Linemakers on Sporting News.

Salmons did not immediately adjust Texas A&M’s 15-to-1 odds of winning the BCS title.

If Manziel is indeed ruled out, the Aggies’ win total would drop all the way to 6 or 6.5, Salmons estimated

Johnny Football is worth about a touchdown on A&M point spreads, he added.
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/n...sion-win-total

YTBulldogs
08-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Yes, Texas is paying ESPN to find bad things on Manziel. Amazing to say the least, wake up.

:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 06:59 AM
:rolleyes:

It is what is being reported at TexAgs, a reputable website dedicated to all things related to Texas A&M athletics.

YTBulldogs
08-05-2013, 07:03 AM
A&M, send someone with him to these events. Geees. He's made the school enough money already I'm sure, to cover the cost of a babysitter. He is a freaking minor afterall. Don't just use him, and not care about him.

He needs a shock collar or ankle bracelet. Out of control. Each week it's something else with him.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 08:51 AM
If he did what is accused in the article, it would be a colossally stupid move.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The article states pretty clearly that no one saw any money change hands.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 09:07 AM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The article states pretty clearly that no one saw any money change hands.

Manziel has to give bank statements to NCAA if they ask for or they can rule him ineligible for not cooperating.

Here is a timeline of Pryor's issue.

April 1 - A notice of inquiry was sent to the institution involving the institution's football program.

April 21 - The enforcement staff issued a notice of allegations to the institution and the former head coach

May 20 - The enforcement staff and institution conducted an interview with student-athlete 5, unrelated to employment or to the representative. The staff requested student-athlete 5's bank records, a portion of which were provided 10 days later and included payments from a company owned and operated by the representative's family.

May 31 - The former head coach resigned.

June 6 - The enforcement staff and institution requested to interview student-athlete 5 and for him to produce the remaining requested records. Student-athlete 5 refused to cooperate.

June 7 -Student - athlete 5 withdrew from the institution and declared for the NFL supplemental draft.

June 26 - The institution sent student-athlete 5 a disassociation letter for his refusal to cooperate with the enforcement staff and institution.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Interesting article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23015877/johnny-football-has-spit-on-all-the-help-texas-am-offered-him

BEAST
08-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Going to be interesting when this all plays out. Im not sure how this is really a story at this point. The witnesses report not seeing any money change hands. Its not illegal for him to sign autographs. There does seem to be a witch hunt going on right now.

BEAST

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Going to be interesting when this all plays out. Im not sure how this is really a story at this point. The witnesses report not seeing any money change hands. Its not illegal for him to sign autographs. There does seem to be a witch hunt going on

BEAST

Well, they claim that the deal was for money even though they never saw money change hands. That's the story. The question is, what is manziels version and is there any proof of money changing hands.

BEAST
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Well, they claim that the deal was for money even though they never saw money change hands. That's the story. The question is, what is manziels version and is there any proof of money changing hands.

I hear ya. This story just seems really odd to me. Its not like JF comes from a poor family. Money is not a problem for them. Right now it seems like ESPN is just throwing stuff at him to see if anything will stick.

BEAST

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I hear ya. This story just seems really odd to me. Its not like JF comes from a poor family. Money is not a problem for them. Right now it seems like ESPN is just throwing stuff at him to see if anything will stick.

BEAST

Well, that's why I said if he did this, this a colossal blunder by him. Stupid thing to do to risk what he has potentially setting out there in front of him.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
But I think you make a decent point about espn. One must nderstand that it helps their business when things like this 'happen'.

BEAST
08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
But I think you make a decent point about espn. One must nderstand that it helps their business when things like this 'happen'.

Oh I understand. Its getting a little out of hand. Any little tweet is thrown all over the "news".

BEAST

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I think it's quite fair to be skeptical of espn. The biggest problem is that if this ends up amounting to nothing, this will follow manziel forever, but espn never has to answer for any of thier errors.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
This is an interesting quote from one of the articles that;

"JSA authenticated 248 items and 376 items that came in in two batches that also are numbered sequentially. Industry insiders say this indicates the signings were done in large quantities intended for wholesale."

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j423/tylerc2005/20DC2C3F-4E4A-47C7-B8D3-F6DDD3544640-1334-000000C18194E5FA.jpg

BEAST
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't know if it's true or not but you can't ignore the troubling trend every month of something he may or may not have done.

Im not saying he did or didnt do it. But, I will say that it seems like ESPN is on a witch hunt. Every week they throw something else at him to see if it will stick. How many famous college athletes sign autographs? All of them!! This is getting out of hand. I think ESPN is enjoying high ratings right now due to Manziel. I think that is why every time he farts they put it on TV.

BEAST

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Im not saying he did or didnt do it. But, I will say that it seems like ESPN is on a witch hunt. Every week they throw something else at him to see if it will stick. How many famous college athletes sign autographs? All of them!! This is getting out of hand. I think ESPN is enjoying high ratings right now due to Manziel. I think that is why every time he farts they put it on TV.

BEAST

Those autographs are usually at M&G and charity events. Not in a private residence for exchange of at least 5 figures, allegedly. Especially in the bulk amount. A lot of smoke for sure.

BEAST
08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Those autographs are usually at M&G and charity events. Not in a private residence for exchange of at least 5 figures, allegedly. Especially in the bulk amount. A lot of smoke for sure.

Not saying he did or didnt do it. I will say this, if they were really trying to make some $, you dont mass produce his autograph. You do it the opposite way. Produce just a handful of them and sale them at the right time.

BEAST

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 10:28 AM
The bottom line is athletes sign tons of autographs. The question is did money exchange hands and is there proof.

rancher
08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
He is about to go the route of David Clyde and Maurice Clarett. Take him behind the barn and put him down.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Not saying he did or didnt do it. I will say this, if they were really trying to make some $, you dont mass produce his autograph. You do it the opposite way. Produce just a handful of them and sale them at the right time.

BEAST

Odds are he will never be as famous as he is right now. so they went the bulk route of thousands of autographs going for 200-500$ because it's more obtainable. Instead of having 3 pieces starting off around 1000 dollars.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:48 AM
New Joe Schad article

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9539990/broker-says-johnny-manziel-friend-halted-free-autograph-signings

Sounds like solicitation during the season last year by an employee of the Manziels aka fitch aka johnny's assistant.

BEAST
08-05-2013, 10:55 AM
New Joe Schad article

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9539990/broker-says-johnny-manziel-friend-halted-free-autograph-signings

Sounds like solicitation during the season last year by an employee of the Manziels aka fitch aka johnny's assistant.

Again, no proof, at least not in this article. I think somebody might have made some $ off the deal, but I really dont think it was JF.

BEAST

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Again, no proof, at least not in this article. I think somebody might have made some $ off the deal, but I really dont think it was JF.

BEAST

There really doesn't have to be proof of anything. If the NCAA feels Manziel is lying to them and won't provide them records they can suspend him and remove him from the NCAA for failure to cooperate.

The NCAA isn't a court of law.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
There really doesn't have to be proof of anything. If the NCAA feels Manziel is lying to them and won't provide them records they can suspend him and remove him from the NCAA for failure to cooperate.

The NCAA isn't a court of law.

Yes and no. They still have to have proof but they can suspend him for not cooperating which isn't going to happen.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes and no. They still have to have proof but they can suspend him for not cooperating which isn't going to happen.

Funny how you are so not against making assumptions about him but so definitive on this.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Funny how you are so not against making assumptions about him but so definitive on this.

I don't understand what you mean.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
The bottom line is athletes sign tons of autographs. The question is did money exchange hands and is there proof.

The question is why do you go to someone's house that you just met in another State and sign a number of autographs for free, this is so fishy that it is starting to stink. People with money does not mean they do not want more money, most people with want more money and think they can get away with anything. This has nothing to do with him coming from a rich family, if this is true this has to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard of with him being in the spotlight on every move he makes.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM

BEAST

Let's remember your dealing with a 20 yr. old that is basically out of control , you do not know what is going thru his mind. He may have needed some pocket money to hit the Casinos one last time before the season starts, needed that fix to get him going.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
if this is true this has to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard of with him being in the spotlight on every move he makes.

Agree.

rancher
08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
The question is why do you go to someone's house that you just met in another State and sign a number of autographs for free, this is so fishy that it is starting to stink. People with money does not mean they do not want more money, most people with want more money and think they can get away with anything. This has nothing to do with him coming from a rich family, if this is true this has to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard of with him being in the spotlight on every move he makes.

The whole thing does not pass the smell test. I hope you aggie enablers keep making excuses. He is an accident waiting to happen. Take him behind the barn and put him down. Make plans for the next QB.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
The whole thing does not pass the smell test. I hope you aggie enablers keep making excuses. He is an accident waiting to happen. Take him behind the barn and put him down. Make plans for the next QB.

As great as it sounds for us all to take the moral high ground, institutions don't make decisions like this without gathering all the information they can. There are millions of dollars riding on wins and losses in college football. Coaches careers are dependent upon winning. The last thing these folks do is make rash decisions.

If this all turns out to be true, I'm sure they will cut him lose, but until you know the facts, it makes no sense to do anything, at this point.

Roughneck93
08-05-2013, 12:07 PM
This will all get put on Uncle Nate.

rancher
08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Just when you thought it could not get any worse, how about UNCLE NATE Story. Dont be an ENABLER
Put him down and move on. Here is link

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/05/this-is-johnny-manziels-manager-uncle-nate/

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
This will all get put on Uncle Nate.

This would then make Nate an unregistered agent in the state of Texas and Nate is employed by the Manziel family and paid for by them to be Johnny's assistant. Thus bringing it back to Johnny. If there is a paper trail I'd stick a fork in ol Johnny with last years wins being vacated and Heisman being revoked similar to Reggie Bush.

Plus NCAA rules have changed since the Cam Newton issue and being an unregistered agent in the state of Texas comes with a $50,000 fine.

Roughneck93
08-05-2013, 12:19 PM
This would then make Nate an unregistered agent in the state of Texas and Nate is employed by the Manziel family and paid for by them to be Johnny's assistant. Thus bringing it back to Johnny. If there is a paper trail I'd stick a fork in ol Johnny with last years wins being vacated and Heisman being revoked similar to Reggie Bush.

This whole Nate dropping out of school to become Johnny's assistant is just crazy.

rancher
08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Kevin Sumlin must be thinking a Cowboys offer will look good next year.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

The truth will come out one way or another when the NCAA ask for Manziel's bank reports, cell phone and any other info. that they want from him, he has to decide if he cooperates with them and provide them proof that he did nothing wrong. If he refuses to cooperate then he is dead in the water, Big brother is always watching you.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
The truth will come out one way or another when the NCAA ask for Manziel's bank reports, cell phone and any other info. that they want from him, he has to decide if he cooperates with them and provide them proof that he did nothing wrong. If he refuses to cooperate then he is dead in the water, Big brother is always watching you.

I think I just said that. :)

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I think I just said that. :)

Yea, thought I heard you or someone else say the NCAA could not request to see any personal info. on Manziel as far as bank account info. and cell phone and that is exactly what they were saying will be the first thing the NCAA will ask for on Johnny. It will come out , he may get out of it this time but man it does not look good for him. A&M is in a tight spot on weather to play him even if he gets out of this and then soemthing comes out later which is a very good chance. He done made to many stupid decisions.

regaleagle
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Speculation is now OVER....it's national news and on every blog. The investigation is underway and the facts will be documented. Johnny Boy is toast, plain and simple. He baked this cake, and now he will have to eat it. You just can't fix stupid....and that's not a reflection of his ability on the field or his capabilities in other areas. This boy just doesn't listen. He hears, but he does not listen. I have a son like that...he's smart, a great guy, has great ambition and potential....but he doesn't listen. It drives me crazy.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Speculation is now OVER....it's national news and on every blog. The investigation is underway and the facts will be documented. Johnny Boy is toast, plain and simple. He baked this cake, and now he will have to eat it. You just can't fix stupid....and that's not a reflection of his ability on the field or his capabilities in other areas. This boy just doesn't listen. He hears, but he does not listen. I have a son like that...he's smart, a great guy, has great ambition and potential....but he doesn't listen. It drives me crazy.

This might have been what his Dad was saying in the interview, that when it happens it's going to be bad real bad. If this is true , it cannot get much worse for him.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 02:22 PM
ESPN profits from creating smoke, even if there is no fire.

I know the media can blow things up however do you really think this is all made up , come on now. Manziel is out of control , even his own Dad said he is out of control and something bad is eventually going to happen and when it does it will be real bad. Also , pretty sure A&M college is not very high happy with him after his comments about the school's handling of his son.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 02:43 PM

Wow.

What if he didn't receive money for it?

Phil C
08-05-2013, 02:45 PM
College football is becoming hypocritical. It is now probably a multi billion dollar industry with the money being made by colleges, coaches and others but the football players are the ones putting on the show and deserve some of the pie. A few are fortunate and get to go to the pros but the others don't. I know they get a chance to get an education which is great but that is still peanuts compared to what others are making off of them.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
If anyone is interested in a rational look at this issue....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa-will-have-tough-time-proving-johnny-manziel-case-184300448.html

Bullaholic
08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Money and the media are going to ruin sports for all true fans. Nothing genuine left... "Are you not entertained?"--Gen. Maximus Decimus Meridius

rancher
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
He is guilty until proven innocent. You are dealing with the NCAA like the Army where you are kicked out for disruptive to the Good Order and discipline. Or dealing with the police and they put you in jail for Public Intox. if nothing else. He has to be guilty of at a felony of being stuck on stupid for hiring UNCLE NATE. Give me a break, put him down and move on.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
He is guilty until proven innocent.

Stupid and ignorant statement.

You are dealing with the NCAA like the Army where you are kicked out for disruptive to the Good Order and discipline. Or dealing with the police and they put you in jail for Public Intox. if nothing else. He has to be guilty of at a felony of being stuck on stupid for hiring UNCLE NATE. Give me a break, put him down and move on.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

But this uncle Nate character appears to be a huge Dewsh.

hollywood
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Money and the media are going to ruin sports for all true fans. Nothing genuine left... "Are you not entertained?"--Gen. Maximus Decimus Meridius

:clap:

Tejastrue
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
This Manziel frenzy is out of control. It's the biggest, most over hyped fiasco since Honey Boo Boo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzt7oCFN3ek

rancher
08-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Johnny better hire his cousin Vinny or Rusty Hardin if he is going to beat this rap. His goose is cooked. How happy can Sumlin be, a great way to start the season. Put him down and move on.

ccmom
08-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Exactly how is the speculation over? Please explain...

BEAST
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Ill bet you he is found clean on this. Others around him may have done something but I will bet he is playing football for the Ags in a month.

BEAST

regaleagle
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Speculation is over because now it has moved into a full-blown investigation with the NCAA and the university involved, duh. If Johnny didn't have so many other incidents in his past history of questionable behavior, and IF he was just a starting QB instead of Heisman winner for a Big XII team, then I don't think we would even have this circumstance. Of course we wouldn't....but we do. I personally would like to see him exonerated from these claims....he's a real spark plug on the field. But now the incident is under investigation by the powers of college football. Good luck on this witch hunt....and coming on the heels of MLB's current suspensions for PED violations. It doesn't look good for the Ags or Johnny Boy.

OldBison75
08-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Everybody slow down==they have not had anyone that saw money change hands. Remember that Cam Newton was in a similar situation a few years ago except the payments were allegedly made to his father. Nothing was ever proven. Also remember that JM's family is independently wealthy and can hire the best defense possible. JM can go pro after this year and I would bet that this gets drug out until after the season is over no matter what happens with the investigation. He plays all year and then announces eligibility for the draft next spring. If anything ever happens, TAMU gets penalized and has to forfiet some games and JM is playing pro ball.

hookandladder
08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Great , let him play and suffer next year. That's the win at all cost altitude , just amazing.

ccmom
08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Speculation is over because now it has moved into a full-blown investigation with the NCAA and the university involved, duh. If Johnny didn't have so many other incidents in his past history of questionable behavior, and IF he was just a starting QB instead of Heisman winner for a Big XII team, then I don't think we would even have this circumstance. Of course we wouldn't....but we do. I personally would like to see him exonerated from these claims....he's a real spark plug on the field. But now the incident is under investigation by the powers of college football. Good luck on this witch hunt....and coming on the heels of MLB's current suspensions for PED violations. It doesn't look good for the Ags or Johnny Boy.
I appreciate the "duh"...cute.

Saggy Aggie
08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Am i missing something, or is there still no evidence of johhny accepting any money? lol

rancher
08-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Take a close look on page 3 of the attached link that Johnny Boy got and you tell me if his goose is not cooked. He better hire cousin Vinny for this one.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/27300/old_site/pdf/NCAARulesforAssociatesofS.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27300

rancher
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fiB2Hrm.jpg

Good old Uncle Nate, Johnny's personal assistant

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 09:05 PM
The rules have changed since the Cam fiasco...

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Am i missing something, or is there still no evidence of johhny accepting any money? lol

True. Unless there's proof of money changing hands, this just good sports talk and nothing else.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 09:26 PM
True. Unless there's proof of money changing hands, this just good sports talk and nothing else.

When has ESPN ever been the first to break anything? They don't break stories not having facts and such. Yahoo Sports was the reason the Reggie thing got exposed.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aWjldHc.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/TexPete/paycheck_zps2f611a12.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3007887/johnny-autograph.gif

http://i.imgur.com/o0jWbrw.jpg

http://www.farkriffic.com/farks/johnnymanziel_nazisigning.gif

Manso/V8
08-05-2013, 10:17 PM
This Manziel frenzy is out of control. It's the biggest, most over hyped fiasco since Honey Boo Boo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzt7oCFN3ek

Honey Boo Boo highlights......I couldn't make it past 10 seconds, that, and the Betty White clip, makes me think, that you, more than anyone, needs football season to start.

I do have to admit, that the longer I watch Betty sell her stuff, the more intrigued I become.

What's the Wimberley scrimmage schedule look like?
We've got Yoakum coming to town Saturday week.

Macarthur
08-05-2013, 10:28 PM
When has ESPN ever been the first to break anything? They don't break stories not having facts and such. Yahoo Sports was the reason the Reggie thing got exposed.

Well, what PROOF do they have? We know he signed a bunch of crap. Thats really all we know for sure.

Manso/V8
08-05-2013, 10:33 PM
The jealousy and indignation from Longhorn fans is hilarious.

If money changed hands, it was probably all cash and went to Uncle Nate or someone else.
If that did happen, and no one fesses up, no sanction.

I doubt that happened, but if it did, I hope he's not suspended.
I would really like to see JFF play some FFootball this year.

Manso/V8
08-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I know the media can blow things up however do you really think this is all made up , come on now. Manziel is out of control , even his own Dad said he is out of control and something bad is eventually going to happen and when it does it will be real bad. Also , pretty sure A&M college is not very high happy with him after his comments about the school's handling of his son.

Well, evidently it is not made up that he signed a lot of stuff, but I can imagine that there are a lot of jealous people out there that want to see Manziel go down........and starting a rumor is a good way to at least distract him and the Aggies. So, the allegations that he or someone else took money can definitely be made up.

A lot of college kids are out of control, especially in the eyes of their parents and other adults.
Most college kids, especially fun loving football player types wouldn't look to good too the rest of the world if their every move was documented and discussed.

I say reserve judgement and not feed in to the media frenzy.

Old Tiger
08-05-2013, 11:00 PM

If money changed hands, it was probably all cash and went to Uncle Nate or someone else.

Why would anyone be jealous of the Aggies, especially Longhorn fans.

Sure the Longhorns are in a rough patch but to be jealous of a guy who is making an athletic department look foolish and lacking control is absurd.

Tejastrue
08-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Honey Boo Boo highlights......I couldn't make it past 10 seconds, that, and the Betty White clip, makes me think, that you, more than anyone, needs football season to start.

I do have to admit, that the longer I watch Betty sell her stuff, the more intrigued I become.

What's the Wimberley scrimmage schedule look like?
We've got Yoakum coming to town Saturday week.

Hey now, the first 10 seconds was the best advice Boo Boo could give to Manziel.

I have a feeling that Ms White will look even better as the years go by. At least in this clip. Besides, I'm kind feeling more her age these days it seems...lol..and yes, HS football cannot get here fast enough.

We have Calallen in Floresville on the 17th and and then we are at Burnet on the 22nd.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Here is an article from the NCAA...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-01-12/council-broadens-%E2%80%98agent%E2%80%99-definition

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 06:22 AM

Read the article just below that OT posted, Old Uncle Nate would be considered third party. Jealousy and Indignation from Longhorns fans , just like A&M hate's ESPN now. A&M fans loved ESPN till Johnny starting his off the field ignorance, you can keep making this a Longhorn -Aggie thing but it has nothing to do with Texas. This is all Johnny Football and his dad making A&M look foolish, does anybody turely beleive Sumlin and the university knew nothing about this before Sunday. That is what is just amazing for them not to know anything about it, now it was ESPN that made that comment that he was amazed they did not know about what Johnny did in Florida.That is staying on top of your athlete's, Old Uncle Nate is going to break under pressure- That is my guess.

Aesculus gilmus
08-06-2013, 06:59 AM
You can keep making this a Longhorn -Aggie thing but it has nothing to do with Texas.

I absolutely agree with this. It was made clear to the Aggies that once they bolted to the SEC (and more power to them for doing so - I still wish the rest of the Big 12 had morphed into the Pac 16), the so-called rivalry between the two schools was officially over. The classy thing to do, which is what I've been trying to do, is pull for the Aggies in the SEC as our Texas representative in that conference. My favorite moment of last season was watching JFF destroy Alabama in Tuscaloosa and I predicted it on here to the disbelief of most Aggies at the time.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Read the article just below that OT posted, Old Uncle Nate would be considered third party. Jealousy and Indignation from Longhorns fans , just like A&M hate's ESPN now. A&M fans loved ESPN till Johnny starting his off the field ignorance, you can keep making this a Longhorn -Aggie thing but it has nothing to do with Texas. This is all Johnny Football and his dad making A&M look foolish, does anybody turely beleive Sumlin and the university knew nothing about this before Sunday. That is what is just amazing for them not to know anything about it, now it was ESPN that made that comment that he was amazed they did not know about what Johnny did in Florida.That is staying on top of your athlete's, Old Uncle Nate is going to break under pressure- That is my guess.

Especially if the IRS and FBI get involved on money that he made that wasn't accounted for.

Pudlugger
08-06-2013, 07:47 AM
College football is becoming hypocritical. It is now probably a multi billion dollar industry with the money being made by colleges, coaches and others but the football players are the ones putting on the show and deserve some of the pie. A few are fortunate and get to go to the pros but the others don't. I know they get a chance to get an education which is great but that is still peanuts compared to what others are making off of them.

I agree Phil, the big dollar generating programs should be required to fund a special NCAA Foundation that provides annuities for all D1 players based on some formula taking into consideration years of play(not based on fame or superior talent). When the players reach a certain age they should begin receiving payments from this fund. Some arrangements could be made to provide scholarships to the children of ex players. The fact that these funds would not be dispersed for several years post graduation and are divided equally among all team members distances it from the kind of illegal monetary compensation like this autograph issue. Perhaps all D1 NCAA athletes should be eligible for participation in such a fund.

Roughneck93
08-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Especially if the IRS and FBI get involved on money that he made that wasn't accounted for.

Yeah I wonder if Form 8300 was used to file that alleged five figure payment. :thinking:

Roughneck93
08-06-2013, 08:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aWjldHc.jpg

Lol, blame it on Tiger!

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
I agree Phil, the big dollar generating programs should be required to fund a special NCAA Foundation that provides annuities for all D1 players based on some formula taking into consideration years of play(not based on fame or superior talent). When the players reach a certain age they should begin receiving payments from this fund. Some arrangements could be made to provide scholarships to the children of ex players. The fact that these funds would not be dispersed for several years post graduation and are divided equally among all team members distances it from the kind of illegal monetary compensation like this autograph issue. Perhaps all D1 NCAA athletes should be eligible for participation in such a fund.Is this all sports? What about walk ons? What about non scholarship players for other sports?

Quidditch?

Roughneck93
08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
:D

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/EDIRPUA/MANMONEY_zps05ce6d44.gif

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 08:08 AM
I bet he was just dehydrated and didn't know because he is 20.

Eagle 1
08-06-2013, 08:40 AM
It's a witch hunt. Somebody with money is calling the shots on this one.

RoyceTTU
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Interesting that I log on to see how 2-days are going, and this is what I see. I guess I'll weigh in.

TAMU has now hired a lawyer for the University to handle this situation. This tells me they are hiring a lawyer to protect Johnny, or they are protecting the University. The two are very much different.

rancher
08-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Lets review the facts of this and the realities of life. 1. Johnny or family hires 20 year old "UNCLE NATE" as Little Johnny's personal assistant. 2. Little Johnny and his Uncle Nate just by divine intervention are met at the Fort Lauderale Airport by an autographer broker Drew Tieman (the same has various past arrest including a nice amount of drugs) however this meeting is just by divine intervention and chance. 3. Everyone then decides to go to Drew's crib and Little Johnny out of the goodness of his heart decides to sign just a FEW HUNDRED ITEMS WHICH ARE NUMBERED. Uncle Nate just nods his head as he watches. Everyone has a good time with women and booze. All is good until items began showing up on EBAY FOR SALE. Who pays the taxes on money? Is Uncle Nate considered an "Agent" according to NCAA rules. Is Uncle Nate registered as an "Agent" if he fits the defination. Does the NCAA play nice or will they bend the rules to make it come out their way. Could a Federal Grand Jury become involved as a result of this cast of chracters. How will this fairy tale end?????

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 08:59 AM
It's a witch hunt. Somebody with money is calling the shots on this one.

Do you really think this could be just a witch hunt, I am not saying he is quilty untill proven however it does not look good for him. To many story popping up about him signing and claiming old Nate wanting money from now on, I am telling you Old Nate is going to break.

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I agree Phil, the big dollar generating programs should be required to fund a special NCAA Foundation that provides annuities for all D1 players based on some formula taking into consideration years of play(not based on fame or superior talent). When the players reach a certain age they should begin receiving payments from this fund. Some arrangements could be made to provide scholarships to the children of ex players. The fact that these funds would not be dispersed for several years post graduation and are divided equally among all team members distances it from the kind of illegal monetary compensation like this autograph issue. Perhaps all D1 NCAA athletes should be eligible for participation in such a fund.

Pud I disagree with you 100% , athlete's are all ready getting to paid with a free education and special treatment. Even if they decided to pay athlete's who is going how much each one gets, like OT said everyone on the team is putting in the hours and committment so then you are going have certain players think they should have more then other. If a college player think's he should be paid , tell him to go to the NFL or whatever sport he plays.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Lets review the facts of this and the realities of life. 1. Johnny or family hires 20 year old "UNCLE NATE" as Little Johnny's personal assistant

We have no idea if he was 'hired' to do anything.

. 2. Little Johnny and his Uncle Nate just by divine intervention are met at the Fort Lauderale Airport by an autographer broker Drew Tieman (the same has various past arrest including a nice amount of drugs) however this meeting is just by divine intervention and chance.

is this another of your 'facts' or is there some license taken here?

3. Everyone then decides to go to Drew's crib

fact?

and Little Johnny out of the goodness of his heart decides to sign just a FEW HUNDRED ITEMS WHICH ARE NUMBERED.

probably the closest thing to a fact that you have presented.

Uncle Nate just nods his head as he watches. Everyone has a good time with women and booze.

another of your facts?

All is good until items began showing up on EBAY FOR SALE.

which is not illegal. As im sure youre aware because you are so well inforned about all of this type of stuff, college athletes sign autographs all the time. Many times at organized events.

Who pays the taxes on money?

What money?

Is Uncle Nate considered an "Agent" according to NCAA rules. Is Uncle Nate registered as an "Agent" if he fits the defination.

Again, we have no idea what nates role is other than being a Dewsh bag hanger on.

Does the NCAA play nice or will they bend the rules to make it come out their way.

First, we have to know if any rules were violated.

Could a Federal Grand Jury become involved as a result of this cast of chracters. How will this fairy tale end?????

Again, you have an incorrect view of facts. You have presented exactly one fact: we know that Johnny signed a bunch of crap. The rest is speculation until we get real facts.

Your comments reek of ignorance and condescension. That's a horrific combination.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Lets all pick one thread on this and stick with it.

Pudlugger
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Pud I disagree with you 100% , athlete's are all ready getting to paid with a free education and special treatment. Even if they decided to pay athlete's who is going how much each one gets, like OT said everyone on the team is putting in the hours and committment so then you are going have certain players think they should have more then other. If a college player think's he should be paid , tell him to go to the NFL or whatever sport he plays.

Hook, like I said in my post everyone gets the same rate with adjustments for years of play. So a walk on who never plays and a scholarship recipient who starts every game and both play 4 years get the same benefit. Other sports could participate on a pro-rata basis as well. Right now aTm is collecting millions of dollars marketing these players to their boosters in the way of endowments, stadium boxes, special seating at awards ceremonies and other events apart from ticket sales and media share. Why is it okay for the schools to make so much money on the backs of all the players and not provide for some financial security to them in their latter years? How many former football players suffer from ruined knees, back pain, and concussion related cognitive impairment when they are in their mid life? At least with this fund they players could get some relief in their declining years.

Farmersfan
08-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Hook, like I said in my post everyone gets the same rate with adjustments for years of play. So a walk on who never plays and a scholarship recipient who starts every game and both play 4 years get the same benefit. Other sports could participate on a pro-rata basis as well. Right now aTm is collecting millions of dollars marketing these players to their boosters in the way of endowments, stadium boxes, special seating at awards ceremonies and other events apart from ticket sales and media share. Why is it okay for the schools to make so much money on the backs of all the players and not provide for some financial security to them in their latter years? How many former football players suffer from ruined knees, back pain, and concussion related cognitive impairment when they are in their mid life? At least with this fund they players could get some relief in their declining years.

So now you want to share the wealth in our college sports too? In your plan the great athletes are to be paid the exact same amount of benefits as the bench warmers?
The bottom line is the NCAA existed a long time before any of these current athletes were there and will exist a long time after they are gone. No individual athlete can claim credit for any of the long term success or failure of the league or of their individual team. Example: Johnny football had an amazing season last year at A&M. And his success last season certainly has had a temporary impact on the school, the team and the NCAA. But it is equally true that the history of 100+ years of NCAA football buiilt a fan base that enables him to play football at the college level and gives him the opportunity to go to the next level. Without the NCAA Johnny Football is failing right now in whatever business that his daddy was able to set him up with. Giving credit to individual college athletes for the success of the NCAA is about as ridiculous as giving credit to the employees of Restaurant #205 for the success of the entire McDonalds corporation. Of course they contributed to it but the facts are if they had not done it then someone else just like them would have.

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 10:18 AM

I just do not feel the same way, no college athlete should get paid. Just my 2 cents.

Pudlugger
08-06-2013, 10:21 AM
So now you want to share the wealth in our college sports too? In your plan the great athletes are to be paid the exact same amount of benefits as the bench warmers?
The bottom line is the NCAA existed a long time before any of these current athletes were there and will exist a long time after they are gone. No individual athlete can claim credit for any of the long term success or failure of the league or of their individual team. Example: Johnny football had an amazing season last year at A&M. And his success last season certainly has had a temporary impact on the school, the team and the NCAA. But it is equally true that the history of 100+ years of NCAA football buiilt a fan base that enables him to play football at the college level and gives him the opportunity to go to the next level. Without the NCAA Johnny Football is failing right now in whatever business that his daddy was able to set him up with. Giving credit to individual college athletes for the success of the NCAA is about as ridiculous as giving credit to the employees of Restaurant #205 for the success of the entire McDonalds corporation. Of course they contributed to it but the facts are if they had not done it then someone else just like them would have.

Well at least a good restaurant lets the wait staff keep their tips :). How would it hurt the NCAA to set up a fund for their former athletes? If each D1 school put in 2% of their revenue and gifts into a foundation in 10 years time there would be a huge capitalization capable of providing some financial relief to former players. Big name pro athletes would consider this chump change but the 4th string lineman with bad knees might appreciate getting a little help putting food on the table or sending his kid to college.

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Well at least a good restaurant lets the wait staff keep their tips :). How would it hurt the NCAA to set up a fund for their former athletes? If each D1 school put in 2% of their revenue and gifts into a foundation in 10 years time there would be a huge capitalization capable of providing some financial relief to former players. Big name pro athletes would consider this chump change but the 4th string lineman with bad knees might appreciate getting a little help putting food on the table or sending his kid to college.

Yes but the problem is there are a lot of D-1 schools that do not make as much money, it would never be equal for each school and that would be a major problem.

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM

fact?

another of your facts?

which is not illegal. As im sure youre aware because you are so well inforned about all of this type of stuff, college athletes sign autographs all the time. Many times at organized events.

What money?

Again, we have no idea what nates role is other than being a Dewsh bag hanger on.

Again, you have an incorrect view of facts. You have presented exactly one fact: we know that Johnny signed a bunch of crap. The rest is speculation until we get real facts.

Your comments reek of ignorance and condescension. That's a horrific combination.

There is an excuse for all of them Rancher, all made up and all lies.

bwdlionfan
08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Why is it okay for the schools to make so much money on the backs of all the players and not provide for some financial security to them in their latter years?

The free degree that the university allows them to earn is their financial security for the future.

Are you also going to start paying the undergraduate students who participate in labs for the graduate students?

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 11:36 AM
There is an excuse for all of them Rancher, all made up and all lies.

Why are you so obtuse?

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Why are you so obtuse?

Denial to the end, I bet you even think ARod is innocent.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Denial to the end, I bet you even think ARod is innocent.

I have no idea of his guilt or innocence. You on the other hand are completely ignorant of all the facts (as am I and everyone else) yet are 100% cocksure about what happened and how it all went down.

That combination of arrogance and ignorance is irresponsible and unfortunately, all too common on this board.

hollywood
08-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Why is this becoming such a big story?

Saggy Aggie
08-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Where's the evidence?

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Anyone else find the irony rich that the NCAA is selling these while investigating for JFF making money off himself ?

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASports_Texas_A_And_M_Aggies/adidas_Texas_A_And_M_Aggies_Number_2_Replica_Footb all_Player_T-Shirt_-_Maroon

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I have no idea of his guilt or innocence. You on the other hand are completely ignorant of all the facts (as am I and everyone else) yet are 100% cocksure about what happened and how it all went down.

That combination of arrogance and ignorance is irresponsible and unfortunately, all too common on this board.

I have never said he is guilty , I am only writing what is being reported by ESPN and other media outlet's. Weather it is true or not will come out, you just cannot handle someone reporting something about your little Johnny football. Your ignorance could very well be exposed if he is guilty , you are assuming that everything being reported is a lie and that is very unlikely. Some may not be proven however Johnny has definitely brought this upon himself weather you beleive it or not, if you think otherwise then you are just very ignorant of seeing the big picture.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:18 PM

fact?

another of your facts?

What money?

I'm pretty sure it is a fact that Nate works for Manziel and is hired by the Manziels to be Johnny's assistant.

2 brokers have come out saying Nate solicited them for cash in exchange for autograph.

That soliciation by NCAA rule makes Nate an "agent."

Nate acting an unregistered "agent" by definition in Texas and hired by the Manziel family could involve a fine or jail time.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:25 PM
The free degree that the university allows them to earn is their financial security for the future.

Are you also going to start paying the undergraduate students who participate in labs for the graduate students?

Not to mention all the stuff such as tutors, meal plans, and etcs that they get for FREE. Thousands of more dollars of benefits that they receive outside of just the scholarship itself.

I think I heard Colin Cowherd say that less than 50% of these kids actually qualify for the university that they get into without the athletic athletic scholarship.

The money that is made off of an athletes number is small fries compared to what the NCAA is making off TV rights and etc.

OldBison75
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
According to the NCAA, two brokers said Nate told them Johnny would not sign anything else for free. That is not soliciting money. That is basically only saying that Johnny ain't signing any more autographs until he is able to get paid for them.

It all depends on whether you want to believe he is guilty or innocent--I think there is probably something in between but the NCAA will have to prove that money exchanged hands and that Johnny knew it was happening--that will be the tough part because they cannot legally get any information from cousin Nate because he is not a student athlete and they can't obtain his bank records or even e-mails or text messages until he decides to provide them--which he won't.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:34 PM
According to the NCAA, two brokers said Nate told them Johnny would not sign anything else for free. That is not soliciting money. That is basically only saying that Johnny ain't signing any more autographs until he is able to get paid for them.

That is exactly solicitation...

so·lic·it
verb \sə-ˈli-sət\
transitive verb
a : to make petition to : entreat
b : to approach with a request or plea

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Not to mention all the stuff such as tutors, meal plans, and etcs that they get for FREE. Thousands of more dollars of benefits that they receive outside of just the scholarship itself.

I think I heard Colin Cowherd say that less than 50% of these kids actually qualify for the university that they get into without the athletic athletic scholarship.

The money that is made off of an athletes number is small fries compared to what the NCAA is making off TV rights and etc.

And why do you think they have the TV deals? Because of the athletes. The selling of the jerseys, while small in a relative sense, is a clear example of the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
And why do you think they have the TV deals? Because of the athletes. The selling of the jerseys, while small in a relative sense, is a clear example of the hypocrisy of the NCAA.
They have TV deals because of the product on the field and casino gambling. Same reason the NFL is so popular, gamibling. The institutions have been around anywhere from a decade to a hundred years. These insitutions are bigger than the athletes on the field.

The paying of athletes in college violates amateur rules and is a slippery slope that could bankrupt roughly 30-50% of college athletic programs. Only a dozen or so athletic programs operate in the green.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 01:47 PM
They have TV deals because of the product on the field and casino gambling. Same reason the NFL is so popular, gamibling. The institutions have been around anywhere from a decade to a hundred years. These insitutions are bigger than the athletes on the field.

Dude, without players on the field, there is nothing to watch or bet on! Are you trolling me?

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Dude, without players on the field, there is nothing to watch or bet on! Are you trolling me?
These handful of players involved in the lawsuit are easily replaceable. No one said they had to sign a LOI to play college football. They are more than welcome to apply to the school and focus on academics, if they can even get in.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

ruh roh

At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions. The video does not show Manziel accepting cash, which the broker alleges happened three times. The broker told ESPN Manziel said he wanted money for new rims for his vehicle.

Just because ESPN won't purchase the videos doesn't mean other websites with money won't.

BEAST
08-06-2013, 02:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

ruh roh

Just because ESPN won't purchase the videos doesn't mean other websites with money won't.

It still just hersay. When asked if would accept money for inscriptions Manziel said no. He also said he had done that before and it raised question. He could easily be saying he had done inscriptions before and it raised questions about the authenticity. There still isnt hard proof.

BEAST

OldBison75
08-06-2013, 02:06 PM
By law, it is not solicitation until an amount or actual benefit is requested or demanded. "Not for free" could mean an amount will be discussed later, that nothing else will be signed while he is still in college, or that you are asking for the broker to make an offer. The key OT is that for the NCAA to prove the allegations, they have to prove that money exchanged hands or that there was a promise for money or other benefits to exchange hands. In either case, they then have to prove that Johnny knew that the deal was made and/or got some of the benefit from that deal. In other words, if cousin Nate made the deal and has not given Johnny or Johnny's family the money it will be difficult to prove that Johnny knew it was happening if Nate does not fess up. Remember, Nate is the one that said there would be no more autographs for free, not Johnny.

We can all speculate, but let the investigation run its course. If they can prove that there was an NCAA violation, then let the punishment be whatever is assessed. But, all of us that are speculating are no better than Obama, Sharpton, and all of the others that were sure that George Zimmerman was guilty. When we let our personal biases and opinions run rampant before all of the facts are out, we sometimes find out that what we believe and what the law says are not always the same.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:19 PM
At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Joe Schad @schadjoe
Johnny Manziel is connected to significant signings w at least 3 different brokers in 3 cities (Ft. Lauderdale, Birmingham, New Haven)

BEAST
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions.

He could have been saying no to the money and also that inscriptions have raised questions before. I am not saying he is innocent but they are going to have a hard time making this stick unless there is definitive proof of $ changing hands. Right now, there simply isnt any real proof.

BEAST

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM
He could have been saying no to the money and also that inscriptions have raised questions before. I am not saying he is innocent but they are going to have a hard time making this stick unless there is definitive proof of $ changing hands. Right now, there simply isnt any real proof.

BEAST

Trying to obtain money is the same as taking it in the new rule that started in Jan 2012 after the Cam Newton fiasco.

There doesn't have to be a paper trail now.

Nate is an employee of the family hired to be the assistant to Johnny.

Farmersfan
08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
If your girlfriend told you she will no longer have sex with you "For Free" or your best friend told you he would no longer give you a ride to work "For free" you would understand immediately that they are telling you they expect to be paid. Why would this be any different. If there was no intent on the part of Johnny or Nate to get paid then even mentioning the "For Free" comment doesn't really make any sense.............

Farmersfan
08-06-2013, 02:39 PM

BEAST

This isn't a criminal trial Beast. Do they really have to "make it stick" in order to send Manziel packing? If they believe there is enough smoke they can act on it even without any evidence of fire. Especially considering Johnny's history.

BEAST
08-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Trying to obtain money is the same as taking it in the new rule that started in Jan 2012 after the Cam Newton fiasco.

There doesn't have to be a paper trail now.

Nate is an employee of the family hired to be the assistant to Johnny.

2 things, I think its funny how it went from "big 5 figures" to now $7500 to buy a new set of rims. His folks own a car dealership right? Need new rims? Why wouldnt he just tell his dad to hook him up? Also, if the NCAA can him, and this is the best evidence they have, they better get ready for a mega lawsuit. Everything from defamation to prejudice. I can see this getting real messy.

BEAST

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM

What is this? Do you have a link for this?

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
2 things, I think its funny how it went from "big 5 figures" to now $7500 to buy a new set of rims. His folks own a car dealership right? Need new rims? Why wouldnt he just tell his dad to hook him up? Also, if the NCAA can him, and this is the best evidence they have, they better get ready for a mega lawsuit. Everything from defamation to prejudice. I can see this getting real messy.

BEAST
This particular session was 7500. There were multiple sessions with 3 different brokers.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
What is this? Do you have a link for this?

It's posted earlier in this thread on this page ESPN link.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
This isn't a criminal trial Beast. Do they really have to "make it stick" in order to send Manziel packing? If they believe there is enough smoke they can act on it even without any evidence of fire. Especially considering Johnny's history.

There was plenty of smoke with cam newton. They have to have proof that some sort f compensation happened or was intended to happen. It is not against he rules to sign autographs, even for brokers.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
A&M compliance director David Batson told ESPN.com on March 6 that Manziel had no knowledge of his signed items being offered for sale.
"Johnny has indicated on numerous occasions and, once again earlier today, that he has never (and to his knowledge, his parents, other relatives and friends have ever) been compensated through cash or other benefits or promises of deferred compensation for providing his autograph," Batson wrote to ESPN.com.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...punishment.ece

BEAST
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Ive said it many times, Im not saying he did or didnt do it. With that said, I dont think the NCAA will do anything unless they find hard evidence. The NCAA stands to lose $$$ if JF isnt on the field. What do you think CBS (I think that is who carries the SEC games) is going to say to the NCAA? If there is 1 thing the NCAA understands, its $$.

BEAST

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
There was plenty of smoke with cam newton. They have to have proof that some sort f compensation happened or was intended to happen. It is not against he rules to sign autographs, even for brokers.

NCAA closed the loophole that Cam used and it started in Jan 2012. I posted the article from the NCAA website.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Ive said it many times, Im not saying he did or didnt do it. With that said, I dont think the NCAA will do anything unless they find hard evidence. The NCAA stands to lose $$$ if JF isnt on the field. What do you think CBS (I think that is who carries the SEC games) is going to say to the NCAA? If there is 1 thing the NCAA understands, its $$.

BEAST
NCAA still makes a huge profit even if Manziel isn't on the field. Games will still draw ratings, people will still watch bowls.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
It's posted earlier in this thread on this page ESPN link.

Ok. I didn't read it before.

We'll see. If they have proof he got money for autographs, he'll pay the price and it will go down as one of the most idiotic things done by a player.

If I'm A&M, I want the NCAA to act on this quickly one way or another.

BEAST
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
NCAA still makes a huge profit even if Manziel isn't on the field. Games will still draw ratings, people will still watch bowls.

Yes, but even a die hard horn fan like you cant argue the insane buzz Manziel made last season. Everybody wants to see if he can do it again.

You can argue loopholes all you want, but I would be willing to bet you what I am saying is why Cam Newton got off as well.

BEAST

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, but even a die hard horn fan like you cant argue the insane buzz Manziel made last season. Everybody wants to see if he can do it again.

You can argue loopholes all you want, but I would be willing to bet you what I am saying is why Cam Newton got off as well.

BEAST

You are guessing, I posted an article from NCAA addressing this issue.

Each year there are athletes who create the buzz Manziel did. Before Manziel it was Cam, ironic. Before Cam it was Tebow, before Tebow it was Vince and Reggie. You can find these players throughout the history of college football.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Here is a great article from USA today about the closing of the Cam Newton loophole.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-01-11/ncaa-loophole-agent-cam-newton/52505726/1

Interesting quote from same article...

"It was important for us to shore that up and make sure we were encompassing all individuals, probably as we all had intended (in the past)," said Carolyn Campbell-McGovern, deputy executive director of the Ivy League and chair of the NCAA legislative council. "It also speaks not only to who's covered but also the scope. Trying to do it is a violation, not just actually receiving money."

Roughneck93
08-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Damn.

http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/johnnymansell.gif

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
NCAA closed the loophole that Cam used and it started in Jan 2012. I posted the article from the NCAA website.

Yes, I'm aware of he loophole. I think it's a real slippery slope though. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Johnny's dad took some money for the stuff he signed and Johnny genuinely didn't know his dad did that. I think it's very unfortunate that the kid pays a price for that.

Regardless, of how this turns out, the NCAA is a corrupt and hypocritical organization and has been for some time.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 03:17 PM
And in other NCAA news, Jeremy hill of lsu has been reinstated after being given probation.

You remember hill. He's the guy who pleaded out of a felony of sex with a 14 year old and was recently arrested for battery.

But JFF must hang!

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
And in other NCAA news, Jeremy hill of lsu has been reinstated after being given probation.

You remember hill. He's the guy who pleaded out of a felony of sex with a 14 year old and was recently arrested for battery.

But JFF must hang!
Isn't that an LSU issue though? That dude is sick.

BEAST
08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

You would think the NCAA would not want any part of a guy like that. But, they let him back in.

BEAST

Roughneck93
08-06-2013, 03:31 PM

But JFF must hang!

Yeah this is sick.

"Miles said Hill's teammates voted to have him back"

http://www.nola.com/lsu/team/1375744279-680-686/lsu-running-back-jeremy-hill.html

“The guy is a good college student, a good person. He’s not a guy who has constant bad behavior" :confused:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/05/jeremy-hill-wont-go-to-jail-future-with-lsu-still-undetermined/

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Last time I checked, lsu is a part of the NCAA.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 03:50 PM
And by the way, me saying sex w a 14 is being generous. Go read the details. This guy is a bad human.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/np1R68F.jpg

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 04:30 PM

BEAST

You cannot be serious to think he is that big, give me a freaking break.

BEAST
08-06-2013, 04:31 PM
You cannot be serious to think he is that big, give me a freaking break.

If he is not that big, why is every single headline about him day in and day out?

BEAST

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Ok. I didn't read it before.

We'll see. If they have proof he got money for autographs, he'll pay the price and it will go down as one of the most idiotic things done by a player.

If I'm A&M, I want the NCAA to act on this quickly one way or another.

Having a change of Heart Old Mac, don't give up on Johnny.

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 04:38 PM

But JFF must hang!

Now you want to change the subject , that funny stuff right there.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 04:51 PM

No changing of my tune. Here's my very first post.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Now you want to change the subject , that funny stuff right there.

No one is changing the subject. Quit being a tool. I actually think its a pretty interesting contrast to the manziel story.

What else would you like to discuss regarding Johnny?

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
What we are looking at right now with this investigation is the tip of the iceberg.

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Here's another interesting angle to all this ncaa stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--as-johnny-football-is-involved-in-a-flap-related-to-photos---heisman--howard-is-embroiled-in-a-photo-fight-of-his-own-153910354.html

hookandladder
08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
No one is changing the subject. Quit being a tool. I actually think its a pretty interesting contrast to the manziel story.

What else would you like to discuss regarding Johnny?

Easy on the damn tool comment , not cool.

Pudlugger
08-06-2013, 06:22 PM
These big football programs are exploiting the players and act all holier than thou with these NCAA rules regarding whether or not a differed autograph signing scheme is illegal. If they were not such hypocrites, than why not set up a foundation for there ex players who are walking around at 40 with ruined knees and suffering from post concussion syndrome? Just wait, when the bed wetters start calling for an end to contact football and the politicos start listening, see if this foundation doesn't suddenly seem like a good idea.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/gregg-doyel/23016669/if-report-is-true-johnny-football-should-pack-it-up-and-head-to-canada

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
The NCAA doesn't even need to know money was exchanged. Just that Manziel permitted his name to be used for commercial purposes.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/bylawSearch?bylawSearchSubmit=viewHtml&division=1&textTerms=&titleTerms=&keyValue=266&reportType=NotMain&adopted=0

OldBison75
08-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Read the rule again, it says he can't accept compensation to promote a product. Selling autographs is not even covered under this rule until he promotes the sale of of said items.

It also says that he can't promote any item--he has not unless you want to say he promotes a particular kind of beer because we see it in his hands in photographs. Let the investigators do their job.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.balettie.com/texas/Sumlin_aggytears.jpg

Saggy Aggie
08-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Idk if this has been posted cuz there's too much crap here to read for a working guy... But...

http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2013-articles/august/ncaa-faces-difficult-task-in-documenting-proof-in-johnny-manziel-signature-for-cash-investigation.html

Macarthur
08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
http://m.outkickthecoverage.com/ncaa-wobbles-as-johnny-manziel-investigation-continues.php

rancher
08-06-2013, 09:21 PM
This is a conspiracy we have not seen since Roswell, the Trilateral Commission, Area 51 and Art Bell coming back on the air. Maybe Johnny is going to be on his program and tell how aliens invaded his body and made him meet with those nasty autograph dealers.

Nov. 17, 1973 | Nixon Declares ‘I Am Not a Crook’

August 4, 2013| Pay me Johnny ' UNCLE NATE MADE ME DO IT'

rancher
08-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Was Daddy being prophetic when he spoke with ESPN and SI and made this statement. Funny how he left Uncle Nate out. Didnt he hire him?

“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

Paul Manziel suggested that Texas A&M isn’t providing the kind of guidance that he’d like to see his son receive in college.

YTBulldogs
08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Paul Manziel suggested that Texas A&M isn’t providing the kind of guidance that he’d like to see his son receive in college.

:2thumbsup Been saying this since his first issue arose. He is a kid, now protect him A&M. Just don't use him for W's and then forget about him. Not all kid's can be ok on their own. Why I say, when he kiils himself or someone else, blood on their hands.

Old Tiger
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
:2thumbsup Been saying this since his first issue arose. He is a kid, now protect him A&M. Just don't use him for W's and then forget about him. Not all kid's can be ok on their own. Why I say, when he kiils himself or someone else, blood on their hands.

I think this all falls on A&M compliance office not doing due diligence. If they would have did like they are supposed to it probably would have never got to the NCAA. That is unless Manziel lied to their compliance office and the NCAA.

Here is how the situation should have been handled back in March.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9545634/usc-trojans-clear-marqise-lee-profiting-autographs

Saggy Aggie
08-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Lol these guys sure know how to run with a story... Kill himself or someone else?

Let me ask again... Where's the proof? The kid signed some autographs cuz he's one of the most famous people in the world right now... Yep... Take him behind the barn and put him down.... Lmao

Can't wait for football

OldBison75
08-06-2013, 10:56 PM
It is so telling that "sources" say Johnny got paid for autographs. However, be real about how believable it is when the first story said five figure cash, then in the same breath said that nobody actually saw any money change hands. Now a broker shows ESPN a video from his phone that he wants to sell the media that shows Johnny signing and he says that Johnny talked about needing money for new rims. If the broker had time to record Johnny signing to verify the signatures were legit, why is there none of the money negotiations or exchange on the videos. Heck, he did not even get the crap about the rims on the video. What I do know is this, there are several brokers out there that have opened themselves up for being shunned by athletes everywhere because they are jumping on this and trashing a fellow athlete--nobody will trust them ever again. Second, these guys have opened themselves up for some serious lawsuits if Johnny Football is not found to have violated any rules--Daddy's lawyers gonna have a field day. Not a single soul has any proof so far that any money changed hands--only speculation and random comments.

I personally know how quickly people are willing to jump all over accusations when they see a gain from them, and how quickly those same people will say that it was a bad investigation when the accusations are not proven. Sometimes folks, the accused is really not guilty. In this case--we just don't know yet!!!

YTBulldogs
08-06-2013, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=Saggy Aggie;1752207]Lol these guys sure know how to run with a story... Kill himself or someone else?

L/QUOTE]

My bad Sag's, it's been well reported of his drinking issues. Yes, wipe out a family on Hwy 21 if he don't get help. Should we start another thread, "Down the hatch JF". Just for his drinking problem post's?

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Was Daddy being prophetic when he spoke with ESPN and SI and made this statement. Funny how he left Uncle Nate out. Didnt he hire him?

“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

or maybe the family is not taking advice
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23015877/johnny-football-has-spit-on-all-the-help-texas-am-offered-him

regaleagle
08-07-2013, 02:27 AM
So we've come from the SMU scandal years in college football to this, huh? In a way, not much has really changed. Instead of the alumni, now it's the agents and brokers. Before, it was to get good players. Now....it's all about $$$. And naturally Johnny Boy is about as ripe a peach to pluck as has ever come down the pike, lol. And not only that, the family hires UNCLE NATE for heaven's sake. Geez. Now they have two ripe peaches to pluck. This is getting deeper by the day. And the crazy thing is....it could all be perfectly innocent stuff. You really can't rely on what brokers and agents will say...depending on what side of the fence they might find themselves, eventually. He said this and they said that and he meant this or they meant that. Tell ya what, UNCLE.....let's go get drunk, haha.

LH Panther Mom
08-07-2013, 05:19 AM
These big football programs are exploiting the players and act all holier than thou with these NCAA rules regarding whether or not a differed autograph signing scheme is illegal. If they were not such hypocrites, than why not set up a foundation for there ex players who are walking around at 40 with ruined knees and suffering from post concussion syndrome? Just wait, when the bed wetters start calling for an end to contact football and the politicos start listening, see if this foundation doesn't suddenly seem like a good idea.

What's the difference in a "big" football program and its players & a small program? Not one of the colleges at any level, when they're recruiting players, knows with certainty how that player will excel at the college level. They hope that they will help them win games, but even the programs that don't have success still go through the same process. No one forces these kids to get a (mostly) FREE education by playing in college, whether it's football or swimming. Look at the number of college athletes that leave school early in order to go pro. Is that not exploitation by the player in using the college to get the required "out of HS" time in?

ctown81
08-07-2013, 06:17 AM
What's the difference in a "big" football program and its players & a small program? Not one of the colleges at any level, when they're recruiting players, knows with certainty how that player will excel at the college level. They hope that they will help them win games, but even the programs that don't have success still go through the same process. No one forces these kids to get a (mostly) FREE education by playing in college, whether it's football or swimming. Look at the number of college athletes that leave school early in order to go pro. Is that not exploitation by the player in using the college to get the required "out of HS" time in?

Wow that last sentence. How is that player exploiting the school? Even if manziel could go pro this season. A&M still comes out on top. As far as the free education fine, but they should not be stopped from making their own money away from the school. As a scholarship (academic) student if I got broke and hungry I could work, but these kids can't? The NCAA is making a ton of money off their backs.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Wow that last sentence. How is that player exploiting the school? Even if manziel could go pro this season. A&M still comes out on top. As far as the free education fine, but they should not be stopped from making their own money away from the school. As a scholarship (academic) student if I got broke and hungry I could work, but these kids can't? The NCAA is making a ton of money off their backs.

The kids are on a meal plan that even gives them money for the weekend.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
You really can't rely on what brokers and agents will say...depending on what side of the fence they might find themselves, eventually.

Good point. Johnny's guilt or innocence aside, these brokers are pretty much scumbags.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Most people don't realize that these kids are not able to have a job. Ncaa won't allow it.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Most people don't realize that these kids are not able to have a job. Ncaa won't allow it.

I know if you play football in college, you do not have time to work. You workout, eat , go to meeting , homework and get a little sleep. Who the hell is going to want to work on top of that schedule, they can work some during the summer however you still have to workout during the summer. Your getting a free education for the work you put in during football, that should be plenty if you apply yourself in class and get a degree.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I think this all falls on A&M compliance office not doing due diligence. If they would have did like they are supposed to it probably would have never got to the NCAA. That is unless Manziel lied to their compliance office and the NCAA.

Here is how the situation should have been handled back in March.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9545634/usc-trojans-clear-marqise-lee-profiting-autographs

Also , I find it hard to beleive the Compliance officer at A&M was asked and knew about the complaints of Manziel possibly profitting from his autograph and he did not notify Sumlin. That is real fishy , very hard to beleive that Sumlin just found out about all this on Sunday. Real Stinky.

Farmersfan
08-07-2013, 09:05 AM

BEAST

The idea that Johnny football is making a substantial difference in the money that will be made by the NCAA or CBS is a bit of a stretch. In fact, in the overall scheme of things Johnny Football is nothing more than a very, very, very small fish in everybody's pond except for some of the most ardent Aggie fans.

Farmersfan
08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Here is a great article from USA today about the closing of the Cam Newton loophole.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-01-11/ncaa-loophole-agent-cam-newton/52505726/1

Interesting quote from same article...

"Trying to do it is a violation, not just actually receiving money." I think this says exactly what I have said. I think the NCAA is perfectly within their rights to act on their perception of Johnny's intent and needs ZERO proof that it actually happened.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 09:21 AM
"Trying to do it is a violation, not just actually receiving money." I think this says exactly what I have said. I think the NCAA is perfectly within their rights to act on their perception of Johnny's intent and needs ZERO proof that it actually happened.

You may be right but if the NCAA tries to inforce this without proof of money exchanging hands, I think they open themselves up to a huge threat of litigation.

Essentially what the NCAA is saying is, we can punish you even if we think you did something wrong.

I don't agree with this and this goes against everything we stand for with regards to justice in this country. A judge can't just send you to jail because he thinks you're a bad guy.

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 09:39 AM
You may be right but if the NCAA tries to inforce this without proof of money exchanging hands, I think they open themselves up to a huge threat of litigation.

Essentially what the NCAA is saying is, we can punish you even if we think you did something wrong.

I don't agree with this and this goes against everything we stand for with regards to justice in this country. A judge can't just send you to jail because he thinks you're a bad guy.

It is no different than the MLB suspensions...none of the players have tested positive, but because of paperwork they are being suspended

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
It is no different than the MLB suspensions...none of the players have tested positive, but because of paperwork they are being suspended

Not apples to apples. That's pro sports where you have a collective bargaining agreement.

Farmersfan
08-07-2013, 10:14 AM

I'm not understanding your thinking. You act like these players have a RIGHT to play in the NCAA. They are playing in the NCAA by invitation and invitation ONLY. That invitation can be retracted at any point at the whim of those who run the NCAA. It isn't a contract or a right that these players have. Of course the player might have legal recourse if any improprieties on the part of the NCAA can be proven but essentially it looks to me if the NCAA even sniffs just cause they can act in a manner THEY think serves the best interest of the NCAA. I don't think they have to PROVE anything just as you would not have to prove something to justify your legal actions in your own home. Your house-your rules!

BEAST
08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Just read an article that the same dealer that is selling all the JF stuff has 19 Jadeveon Clowney items on ebay! I would link it but for some reason I cant. Does this change anything?

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Just read an article that the same dealer that is selling all the JF stuff has 19 Jadeveon Clowney items on ebay! I would link it but for some reason I cant. Does this change anything?

BEAST

no..why should it? This is not a witchhunt on Manzel as much as he keeps putting himself in position to be criticized..fair or not

BEAST
08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
no..why should it? This is not a witchhunt on Manzel as much as he keeps putting himself in position to be criticized..fair or not

There were 258 items autographed by Clowney. Sort of sounds like the same mass autograph deal. My point is this, I think most of the big time NCAA players do things like this. Wether its for money or not I have no idea. Just saying its not uncommon.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
There were 258 items autographed by Clowney. Sort of sounds like the same mass autograph deal. My point is this, I think most of the big time NCAA players do things like this. Wether its for money or not I have no idea. Just saying its not uncommon.

BEAST

yea i agree with that

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm not understanding your thinking. You act like these players have a RIGHT to play in the NCAA. They are playing in the NCAA by invitation and invitation ONLY. That invitation can be retracted at any point at the whim of those who run the NCAA. It isn't a contract or a right that these players have. Of course the player might have legal recourse if any improprieties on the part of the NCAA can be proven but essentially it looks to me if the NCAA even sniffs just cause they can act in a manner THEY think serves the best interest of the NCAA. I don't think they have to PROVE anything just as you would not have to prove something to justify your legal actions in your own home. Your house-your rules!

Your house, your rules does not give you carte Blanche. There's an anti trust element to all this.

If you are not familiar with the Keller/obannon case, you need to read up on it. It's fascinating stuff and many are saying this has the potential to change college sports as we know it.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncaa-continues-to-take-hits-in-light-of-o-bannon-case/12748564/

BEAST
08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
yea i agree with that

So should the NCAA be investigating all of the cases of mass autographs by star players? There are a lot of them. Also, a lot of the merchandise is being sold by the same guy.

BEAST

hollywood
08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Whether you like him or not, this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Media bandwagon frenzy. I bet the other universities that have had issues in recent time such as Ohio State, Penn State, USC etc don't mind the attention taken somewhere else. There's going to be a story every year to this magnitude. Who's next? Media gets a lead and it's all over every media outlet until they beat that dead horse 1,000 times over. Report it, then move on. Good-ness. Gets old. I'm so ready for football season to START.

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
So should the NCAA be investigating all of the cases of mass autographs by star players? There are a lot of them. Also, a lot of the merchandise is being sold by the same guy.

BEAST

did someone claim Clowney was paid? ,,because that is the issue here..someone claims Manzel was paid

hollywood
08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Your house, your rules does not give you carte Blanche. There's an anti trust element to all this.

If you are not familiar with the Keller/obannon case, you need to read up on it. It's fascinating stuff and many are saying this has the potential to change college sports as we know it.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncaa-continues-to-take-hits-in-light-of-o-bannon-case/12748564/

Good read. There is a very valid point being made, I understand. NCAA sports, especially Football and Basketball, have been marketed for decades to finally become a conglomerate of a business in the terms of BILLIONS of $. It's big business and not just Johnny and Joe getting an education and playing sports for the good of it. Why shouldn't the athletes get paid if companies are using their name, physical likeness in video games? Heck, the NCAA, universities, and conferences that facilitate these athletes are.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I don't agree with this and this goes against everything we stand for with regards to justice in this country. A judge can't just send you to jail because he thinks you're a bad guy.Dez got suspended 8 games for lying, he didn't break any rules.

Old Tiger
Not apples to apples. That's pro sports where you have a collective bargaining agreement.
And in college football you have a LOI to the NCAA.

Macarthur
did someone claim Clowney was paid? ,,because that is the issue here..someone claims Manzel was paid

Well, I think the implication is that if its the same guy that paid Johnny for autographs, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that he paid other college athletes.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Dez got suspended 8 games for lying, he didn't break any rules.

I don't think you're 100% correct on that. Dez got suspended for lying about what would have been an improper meeting. So the reality is, he did break the rule. He got more than he would have otherwise because he lied about it. If I remember that situation correctly.

But what, in your mind, does the Dez situation have to do with this? I'm not seeing the connection.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
And in college football you have a LOI to the NCAA.

So? .

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM

That case will single handedly ruin college sports and bankrupt lots of athletic programs. Hell even A&M's athletic dept has had to borrow from the general fund 5 of the last 7 years to stay afloat.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, I think the implication is that if its the same guy that paid Johnny for autographs, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that he paid other college athletes.

But there isn't all the the same info coming out about Clowney now is there? If a guy who is paid for my the Clowney family to be his assistant soliciting money from these guys? These brokers aren't naming Clowney, now are they?

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
That case will single handedly ruin college sports and bankrupt lots of athletic programs. Hell even A&M's athletic dept has had to borrow from the general fund 5 of the last 7 years to stay afloat.

I don't know about ruin. It will def change the landscape dramatically.

I think that there's enough money out that the schools will get together and figure out a way to make it work. What isn't right is for the NCAA to be allowed to continue to function in a unethical, immoral and illegal manner just because we have this nostalgia for college sports when the reality is that those things we hold in our mind as memories haven't been the reality for a couple of decades.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
But there isn't all the the same info coming out about Clowney now is there? If a guy who is paid for my the Clowney family to be his assistant soliciting money from these guys? These brokers aren't naming Clowney, now are they?

No there isn't, right now. If you will go to the Internet, spurrier has already been asked about this today and the crowney stuff is picking up steam.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/23053846/ebay-user-selling-clowney-manziel-bridgewater-signed-items

You're focusing on the agent thing which is not looking at the bigger picture.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 12:25 PM
No there isn't, right now. If you will go to the Internet, spurrier has already been asked about this today and the crowney stuff is picking up steam.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/23053846/ebay-user-selling-clowney-manziel-bridgewater-signed-items

You're focusing on the agent thing which is not looking at the bigger picture.
South Carolina and USC's compliance office have already cleared Clowney and Marquize Lee of not accepting money to sign those autographs.

Why is it that those compliance offices have already worked with the NCAA and cleared each athlete yet at A&M Manziel is the one under such investigation? Don't give me because it is who he is deal. Clowney is a #1 draft pick next year and the best defensive player to come out of college since Suh.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:33 PM
South Carolina and USC's compliance office have already cleared Clowney and Marquize Lee of not accepting money to sign those autographs.

Why is it that those compliance offices have already worked with the NCAA and cleared each athlete yet at A&M Manziel is the one under such investigation? Don't give me because it is who he is deal. Clowney is a #1 draft pick next year and the best defensive player to come out of college since Suh.

I'm not saying they did. But don't be naive to think that just because the schools have come out and said ' nothing to see here, move along...' That there's nothing there.

You were one of the ones that was taking the stance on Johnny that if there's smoke, there's got to be some fire. How can you say with a straight face that you are certain Johnny got paid and knowing that by some accounts there's even more clowney signed material out there, and say 'well, clowneys been cleared by the school...'

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Isn't it just the least bit interesting that USC, s. Carolina and now osu have come out with these strong denials based on the manziel fiasco?

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/08/ohio_state_checks_on_braxton_m.html#incart_flyout_ sports

So all these top guys have tons of stuff out there for sale and Johnny's the only one that's gotten paid? I'm not buying it.

I certainly could be wrong but I think this is all just scratching the surface.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Isn't it just the least bit interesting that USC, s. Carolina and now osu have come out with these strong denials based on the manziel fiasco?

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/08/ohio_state_checks_on_braxton_m.html#incart_flyout_ sports

So all these top guys have tons of stuff out there for sale and Johnny's the only one that's gotten paid? I'm not buying it.

I certainly could be wrong but I think this is all just scratching the surface.

And yet A&M has not followed the same mold and come out with denial and official statements that they haven't broken any rules. Why is that?

Each of these cases are different and have different factors that go with each athletes in this situation.

You can't use the argument that just because they cleared the player or the player at another institution did it the Aggies are in the clear.

The way it appears at the time Manziel is the only one of those guys who has a person employed by the family soliciting those agents for money or more money.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
And yet A&M has not followed the same mold and come out with denial and official statements that they haven't broken any rules. Why is that?

Easy. A&M is officially under investigation, the others are not.

Each of these cases are different and have different factors that go with each athletes in this situation.

Maybe there are nuances but its still huge numbers of signed memorabilia being sold by brokers.

You can't use the argument that just because they cleared the player or the player at another institution did it the Aggies are in the clear.

Didn't make that argument.

The way it appears at the time Manziel is the only one of those guys who has a person employed by the family soliciting those agents for money or more money.

You keep getting hung up on this uncle Nate thing. Brokers can deal directly with the players, man.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Easy. A&M is officially under investigation, the others are not.

Maybe there are nuances but its still huge numbers of signed memorabilia being sold by brokers.

Didn't make that argument.

You keep getting hung up on this uncle Nate thing. Brokers can deal directly with the players, man.
Nate is a verified employee of the Manziels, that would make him an agent if these allegations are true which will make it easier to hand down discipline to A&M and Manziel for their actions in this situation, Nate is a big deal when it comes to this investigation.

The others are not under investigation because their compliance office investigated and found no wrongs done by Clowney or Lee. The fact that A&M hasn't followed the same structure says all you need to know about this case. Instead A&M is deflecting questions and uncertain.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 01:04 PM
All I can say about this thread is Wow, I understand about proof of taking money but man there is no doubt that he is guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time many times. Even if he gets out of all this crap , he will still have many fans that know the real side of him and his family. If someone other then Johnny and his dad would have said all the negative things about A&M , there would have been a hanging at this year bonfire. Pretty obvious his Dad has very little use for A&M and does Johnny really care to be there also, no match made in heaven for sure. You can bet you will never see Johnny Football graduate form A&M , who needs a degree when you can make as much money as him in college.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Nate is a verified employee of the Manziels, that would make him an agent if these allegations are true which will make it easier to hand down discipline to A&M and Manziel for their actions in this situation, Nate is a big deal when it comes to this investigation.

Verified? I haven't seen anything that verifies this.

The others are not under investigation because their compliance office investigated and found no wrongs done by Clowney or Lee. The fact that A&M hasn't followed the same structure says all you need to know about this case. Instead A&M is deflecting questions and uncertain.

Not true. You are looking at it backwards. The NCAA doesn't decide not to investigate because the schools tell them their compliance has looked into it and there's nothing there.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Verified? I haven't seen anything that verifies this.

Not true. You are looking at it backwards. The NCAA doesn't decide not to investigate because the schools tell them their compliance has looked into it and there's nothing there.

Nate dropped out of school this year to act as Johnny's assistant and manager, handling media requests and helping coordinate the bodyguards from Houston whom Johnny's parents would like them to hire whenever they go out, making sure there's someone around to defuse a confrontation before it begins. Leaving the house brings swarms of people and accompanying drama. "We have to have our own security paid for by us," Nate says, and by "us" he means Johnny's mom and dad.

While Nate explains the insanity of their lives, as if on cue another negative story breaks, this one about Johnny almost being suspended for the season last year after his arrest and coming within five days of transferring. Nate reads the news on his phone and looks concerned.

"How'd that get out?" he asks. "Less than 50 people know that. That's someone in the school talking."

He's suspicious about this story, which credits an unnamed source. Nate thinks Texas A&M is leaking on its star quarterback, and in the end it doesn't even really matter if that is true or not. There's been a growing rift between the school and its most important student. It's not just Nate's paranoia about the story, or Johnny's frustrations with the nonfootball, marketing expectation of the school, or his father's sense of injustice that everyone makes money off his son but his son. The rift is more profound. Many people close to Johnny Manziel no longer believe in the integrity of the institutions charged with protecting him.

Lost faith is one more casualty of the fishbowl.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

D'Highlander
08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Anyone else just ready for this to go away?

YTBulldogs
08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Good grief, you could make a mini series TV show off this crap. It never ends.

I keep reading awaiting OT's icon picture top to "bust" open.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Nate dropped out of school this year to act as Johnny's assistant and manager, handling media requests and helping coordinate the bodyguards from Houston whom Johnny's parents would like them to hire whenever they go out, making sure there's someone around to defuse a confrontation before it begins. Leaving the house brings swarms of people and accompanying drama. "We have to have our own security paid for by us," Nate says, and by "us" he means Johnny's mom and dad.

While Nate explains the insanity of their lives, as if on cue another negative story breaks, this one about Johnny almost being suspended for the season last year after his arrest and coming within five days of transferring. Nate reads the news on his phone and looks concerned.

"How'd that get out?" he asks. "Less than 50 people know that. That's someone in the school talking."

He's suspicious about this story, which credits an unnamed source. Nate thinks Texas A&M is leaking on its star quarterback, and in the end it doesn't even really matter if that is true or not. There's been a growing rift between the school and its most important student. It's not just Nate's paranoia about the story, or Johnny's frustrations with the nonfootball, marketing expectation of the school, or his father's sense of injustice that everyone makes money off his son but his son. The rift is more profound. Many people close to Johnny Manziel no longer believe in the integrity of the institutions charged with protecting him.

Lost faith is one more casualty of the fishbowl.

I think if I have to choose between believing in the integrity of sumlin, hyman and the A&M institution or Nate and Johnny's dad, I'll stick w the former.

Johnny's dad strikes me as a drama queen. I would never say the things about my son that he did in that article. And let's not forget, we have heard nothing from Johnny. Not saying the article doesn't have valid points, but Johnny's dad and Nate do not come across as the most trust worthy folks

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I think if I have to choose between believing in the integrity of sumlin, hyman and the A&M institution or Nate and Johnny's dad, I'll stick w the former.

Johnny's dad strikes me as a drama queen. I would never say the things about my son that he did in that article. And let's not forget, we have heard nothing from Johnny. Not saying the article doesn't have valid points, but Johnny's dad and Nate do not come across as the most trust worthy folks
You trust the athletic dept of a school who has 7 major ncaa santions?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-7965352

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 01:59 PM
It is ironic that the Aggies want to paint Clowney and others just as Johnny is being painted but point fingers when it pertains to Johnny. Such as being ESPN, Texas, and etc fault.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
You trust the athletic dept of a school who has 7 major ncaa santions?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-7965352

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

More than some Dewsh that calls himself uncle Nate? Yes.

And your point about the 7 violations could be turned on one of your points. You were so quick to point out that USC had cleared their guy but they're on that link you posted at 6 violations and theirs are much more recent than A&M.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:07 PM
It is ironic that the Aggies want to paint Clowney and others just as Johnny is being painted but point fingers when it pertains to Johnny. Such as being ESPN, Texas, and etc fault.

You're projecting. I have yet to read anyone on Texags that wants clowney to go down. They simply are pointing out the hypocrisy in how aggressive the coverage has been on Johnny when there is some pretty strong indications out there that there is some other shady stuff going on.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/07/jadeveon-clowney-autographing-photos-in-hotel-room-dinner/

Oops.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
And the bigger picture of the hypocrisy of the NCAA profiting off players images and likeness and then punishing players for doing the same.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
You seem like exactly what is at TexAgs

1) Cite lack of evidence against him.
2) When bolstering evidence comes out, move the goalposts and claim need for smoking gun evidence against him.
3) Misdirect attention to others potentially or likely breaking the rule.
4) Argue that the rule is stupid anyways.
5) Blame media outlets and etc