PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 56, Emory Rains 14

Gilmer Buckeye
11-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Believe it or not, the 1-7 Rains Wildcats were tied, 7-7, with the No. 4-ranked 8-0 Buckeyes at halftime at Buckeye Stadium in Gilmer. It was very depressing to watch the first half of this game. Had we been playing Daingerfield, we would probably have been down 35-0 at the half the way we were playing. Very flat and uninspired, to say the least.

Gilmer suffered four turnovers in the first half and never could get anything going, it seemed like.

But give these kids credit. They came back out for the second half and it was like a whole different ball game. Gilmer's superior speed, strength and depth wore the Wildcats down. The Bucks scored on every possession of the second half and the defense also returned a fumble for another score.

Lindale destroyed Winnsboro tonight in Winnsboro, setting up the showdown in Lindale for the District 11-3A title next Friday night. Lindale is already assured of being the Div I rep out of this district and Gilmer is assured of being the No. 1 seed in Div II, most likely facing Daingerfield in Mount Pleasant on Friday night, Nov. 14.

<small>[ October 31, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
I said earlier that we could take the first half off against Rains and still win. I didn't know we would!
Liberty Eylau upsetting Pleasant Grove may give us a little daylight for not playing Daingerfield in the first round after all. If New Boston beats Liberty Eylau next week, can't they sneak into the playoffs?
And forget all the scenarios. Mt. Vernon lost to Mineola tonight, so the playoffs are set: Lindale (D1), Gilmer (Winner D2), Winnsboro (Runner-up D2).

Gilmer Buckeye
11-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Link to game account:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10445424&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=499818&rfi=6

Gilmer Buckeye
11-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Link to another game account:

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/11/01/1067670608.19830.9906.0479.html

Xtex
11-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Buckeye80:
I said earlier that we could take the first half off against Rains and still win. I didn't know we would!
Liberty Eylau upsetting Pleasant Grove may give us a little daylight for not playing Daingerfield in the first round after all. If New Boston beats Liberty Eylau next week, can't they sneak into the playoffs?
And forget all the scenarios. Mt. Vernon lost to Mineola tonight, so the playoffs are set: Lindale (D1), Gilmer (Winner D2), Winnsboro (Runner-up D2).

Xtex
11-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Sorry Buckeye80, kinda messed that up. lol... New Boston has already played and beat Liberty Eylau (by 2). The deal was for LE to beat PG by 8 or better, they did that. It pretty much looks like Liberty Eylau is in as the DI rep and your buckeyes are on a collision course with D'field. New Boston is out of the equation. Sorry, but no breathing room in 3a reg II.

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Xtex:
Sorry Buckeye80, kinda messed that up. lol... New Boston has already played and beat Liberty Eylau (by 2). The deal was for LE to beat PG by 8 or better, they did that. It pretty much looks like Liberty Eylau is in as the DI rep and your buckeyes are on a collision course with D'field. New Boston is out of the equation. Sorry, but no breathing room in 3a reg II.Just placate my ego a little bit and tell me that you guys are as worried about us as we are about you.

Xtex
11-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Are you kidding? Let your ego be placated! Who in their right mind wants to play Gilmer... but that's the cards that've been dealt. Gilmer excited to play D'field in the first round again? lol

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 03:28 PM
IMHO, that matchup should be reserved for the D2 Regional Finals, but Se sa vi. It should be an incredible game. I think we have a few more weapons this year to at least keep it close. Good luck to both teams though as the winner is probably looking at a D2 Regional Championship anyway.

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Se la vi, rather.

Ray_BearKat
11-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Yep, c'est la vie.

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Up here in the sticks, we spell phonetically.

Gilmer Buckeye
11-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Buckeye80:
Up here in the sticks, we spell phonetically.Don'cha mean 'fonetickly'? wink

Hey, Buckeye80, who was that guy who was arrested in front of the home side concession stand at around 10 p.m.?

It was pretty exciting to watch an actual arrest in progress. He was being manhandled by two of Gilmer's finest as they were slapping the cuffs on him up against the fence separating the walkway from the top of the reserved seating. I couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. Maybe he was just a Rains fan who wandered over to the wrong side of the stadium? It was spooky to watch, if you'll pardon the pun.

Guess the Buckeyes weren't the only ones on "offense" at the stadium last night.