PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to lose on purpose if it helps your team?

ctown81
08-03-2013, 01:07 PM
A few years ago one of the schools in east texas (can't remember which one) was in a scenerio in which if they lost a game it would force like a 3 way tie for 3rd and they make the playoffs but if they won they missed the playoffs. I'm sketchy on the details and I remember this being a big issue when the coach was accused of losing on purpose. What are your thoughts on this situation?

poisoned10
08-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I remember a scenario similar to this except it was for playoff positioning. I think it was China Spring.

I can't imagine a scenario describing what you were talking about.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

ccmom
08-03-2013, 01:59 PM
This was the situation that came to my mind...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?89115-LaVega-throws-a-game-to-Play-Cuero&highlight=Lavega+coach

But it might not have anything to do with what you were referring to.

cougartino
08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
"You play to win the game!" - Herm Edwards

ctown81
08-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I remember a scenario similar to this except it was for playoff positioning. I think it was China Spring.

It may have been for playoff positioning. It was awhile ago.

ctown81
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?89115-LaVega-throws-a-game-to-Play-Cuero&highlight=Lavega+coach

Thanks

poisoned10
08-03-2013, 03:08 PM

That is actually what I was referring to. I always get China Spring and LA Vega mixed up for some reason.

Rabid Cougar
08-03-2013, 06:48 PM

That would incorrect.

Lavega lost to Lorena to knock Robinson out of the Playoffs so that they could go Division 1. In 2008 they lost on purpose to get into the same Division as China Spring so they could get revenge for Regional loss in 2007. In 2008 China Spring was in different District and was in Region 1. They would have played them in the SC game but CS lost to AW and AW lost to Proser.

Roughneck93
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLfBjNDcTLY&sns=em

Rabid Cougar
08-03-2013, 06:58 PM
That is actually what I was referring to. I always get China Spring and LA Vega mixed up for some reason.

Lots of similarities.

bobcat1
08-03-2013, 07:12 PM

This

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2013, 09:14 PM
All in - every down, every play. NO, it's not okay to lose on purpose, IMO.

Ernest T Bass
08-03-2013, 09:58 PM
F that! You play to win championships. I couldn't care less about nondistrict or winning a district championship. It's all about playing the weekend before Christmas. Do what you gotta do to get to that point. Every district champion in Texas would gladly trade places with you if you do.

FB-fanatic
08-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Wow, time flies. I was sick that night, and my wife went to the game while I was home in bed. I couldn't believe my ears when she got home. LaVega, in fact, had played backup players through part of the game, handing Lorena the win. This knocked out Robinson, a larger school than LaVega, and allowed LaVega to play the big school bracket, and one less game on the way to the state game.

At the time, some said that LV had earned the right to rest their key players going into the playoffs by virtue of their district work and record, while others, like everyone here said it was wrong; you allways play to win. As it turned out, if you were in the LV camp, it payed off - LV went on to play for the state DI championship vs Prosper, losing 17-10.

A few sidenotes - Lorena went on to win the next playoff game vs Palestine Westwood. This was a beginning of the turning around of a program who had struggled for a decade before, as a small 3A team; Lorena has reached the playoffs (legitimately) ever since. We caught quite a bit of flack that year, though all the team did was play there best that night. A large group of Robinson students showed up at our playoff game, sitting on our side, with signs supporting Palestine Westwood and cheering when PW got first downs or scored.

As for Willie Williams, he weathered the storm that year, and I think most in the city of Waco or around the state, would say he is a fair man and sets a good overall example for his players and the community today in what could be described as a tough environment. Year after year his offices are visited by recruiters, getting the scoop on many of his players, but I personally owe him a thank you letter as I have learned that he has sent a number of recruiters across town to check on our QB.