PDA

View Full Version : 70% of all 3A Teams Will Make Playoffs

Rabid Cougar
08-03-2013, 09:16 AM
"the playoffs are turning into something of a participation deal"

http://drchighschoolblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/the-2013-class-3a-playoffs.html/?__hstc=167814078.e0101504b302c34a137c31680079d967 .1373419784183.1373419784183.1375536009154.2&__hssc=167814078.1.1375536009154

Gone Fishing
08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
The big fat kid that never gets off the couch- still gets a a green or yellow or pink ribbon at field day!!!!! All the staff and even some parents, say, "you did so great",Very sad, IMO. I'm old, but only two made it in Any class when I played and it should be the same again IMO. What the hell? 2 and 8 or even worse in many cases make the play offs? Many old coaches and diehards are turning over in their graves....Just saying...Very stupid..Oh and everyone can't understand why the D1 doesn't have a "true" a playoff system!! .?..? That makes me LMAO. Don't ride the fence please.

FB-fanatic
08-03-2013, 09:21 PM
To quote Dumb and Dumber..."so you're saying I got a chance...."

maestro
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
But everyone feels soooooooo good about themselves and their success.

Once knew of a staff that went 2-8 but made playoffs.

That's all we heard about the rest of the year....I thought...REALLY.?......

But my views are old school too.

maestro
08-03-2013, 09:29 PM
To quote Dumb and Dumber..."so you're saying I got a chance...."

Great response

Made me laugh

NastySlot
08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
The big fat kid that never gets off the couch- still gets a a green or yellow or pink ribbon at field day!!!!! All the staff and even some parents, say, "you did so great",Very sad, IMO. I'm old, but only two made it in Any class when I played and it should be the same again IMO. What the hell? 2 and 8 or even worse in many cases make the play offs? Many old coaches and diehards are turning over in their graves....Just saying...Very stupid..Oh and everyone can't understand why the D1 doesn't have a "true" a playoff system!! .?..? That makes me LMAO. Don't ride the fence please.

only two made in my day also....but I can remember when only the champion of a district went.

cougartino
08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
La Marque can go 1-9, just beat Sunnyside KIPP and we're in. Personally, I wouldn't wanna be in with a record such as that.

Ernest T Bass
08-03-2013, 10:03 PM
The cream will still rise. Those 2-8 teams will get demolished in the first round. The contenders continue to play and the pretenders start basketball one week later than they would have last year. Big deal.

FB-fanatic
08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
It will just cheapen the term "made the playoffs". Maybe a new term like "2nd rounder" will become the new bragging standard.

Yoe_09
08-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah. All you are doing is getting rid of the bye. You never know....maybe a 4th seed will pull the upset. I heard some talks about the winner of the district hosting the 1st round playoff game? Did this ever go through or not?

Twirling Time
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
In my area the 3A districts are all five teams. So that means 80% of them will make the playoffs.

In 2A, at least, it gets rid of the bye for district champions and there are fuller districts, so it's not as bad.

vtskneb
08-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it begins to decay.

Matthew328
08-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Cream still rises to the top....doesnt bother me one bit...best teams on the field will still win...

Txbroadcaster
08-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I love it..more teams in play offs means more play off games..not sure why any HS football fan would have a problem with more play off games

maestro
08-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Cream still rises to the top....doesnt bother me one bit...best teams on the field will still win...

Just asking....which non-district champ advanced the fartherest ( furtherest ?...) last year.

I know I'm taking both sides of the argument but I will throw in that for two years in a row at one time in our district we had a hoops team go to regional tourney and it was the THIRD place team.

JBulldawg
08-04-2013, 10:04 AM
4 is way too many, heck 3 is too many. But I came from an era that only the district champ made the playoffs. 3 or 4 teams making playoffs would be okay if every district had a minimal 8 teams in district. 4 out of 5 or even in some cases 4 out of 4 qualifying for playoffs is just plain ridiculous!

JBulldawg
08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
I love it..more teams in play offs means more play off games..not sure why any HS football fan would have a problem with more play off games

If that be the case, just let every team make playoffs.:rolleyes:

vtskneb
08-04-2013, 11:38 AM
If that be the case, just let every team make playoffs.:rolleyes:

In a sense they all are in the playoffs of qualifying for the playoffs. Lots of narrow minded thinking going on in this thread. My last post on the subject, you old farts can now go back to screaming at kids getting off your lawn.

Pudlugger
08-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Just asking....which non-district champ advanced the fartherest ( furtherest ?...) last year.

I know I'm taking both sides of the argument but I will throw in that for two years in a row at one time in our district we had a hoops team go to regional tourney and it was the THIRD place team.

In 2001 La Grange was second in district after losing to Bellville who were undefeated in district 25. The Leps went on to the SC game and lost a close one 14-11 to Commerce. Bellville IIRC went DI and lost in the regional final to Sinton (?).

Matthew328
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Which non-champ in 3A or all classes?

Matthew328
08-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I know Bellville went all the way to the semis and they didnt win their district..

Manso/V8
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Bellville was second in district to El Campo and made it to the D11 semi-finals.
Kilgore was second in district to Glimer and made it to the D1 semi-finals.

I think La Grange was on the bubble to make the playoffs in baseball this year and won the SC.

bigwood33
08-04-2013, 10:03 PM
The cream will still rise. Those 2-8 teams will get demolished in the first round. The contenders continue to play and the pretenders start basketball one week later than they would have last year. Big deal.
Bingo!

Ville-D
08-04-2013, 11:00 PM

I think people are scared because sometimes turds float too. And every once in a while the turd will matchuo and knok the cream out of the playoffs in those first rounds. But those turds usually wont last too many rounds.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-05-2013, 12:17 AM
2002 Bandera Bulldogs. 3rd place team if I recall, ended up winning Div. 2 State Championship.

Rabid Cougar
08-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Baseball- China Spring, 2012 third place in District 17 Region III Finalist, 2013 third place in District 17 Region III SemiFinalist.

maestro
08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Well there have certainly been enough examples posted to warrent a third and fourth place team in playoffs.

ctown81
08-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Can a fourth place team win it all? Possibly, but I do think you need to earn the right to compete for a state title in the playoffs.

bd62
08-05-2013, 09:53 PM
2002 Bandera Bulldogs. 3rd place team if I recall, ended up winning Div. 2 State Championship.

Yes and I knew the coach and saw him at a baseball playoff game and Congs. Him for
Winning State and he told me they nearly did not make playoffs. He said they were playing
Llano the last game of season and Llano had a guy wide open for
Winning TD with only seconds left and he drop the ball .
He had some injuries in dist but got all them guys back and got on a roll
and they were a great team in playoffs and lead them to State
He retired at the end of that yr. What a way to go out. Great guy.
Not sure Bandera has had a lot of success since he retired.

Twirling Time
08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Can a fourth place team win it all? Possibly, but I do think you need to earn the right to compete for a state title in the playoffs.

It happened just this spring in 5A softball when Lewisville won state.

Phil C
08-08-2013, 11:31 PM
As far as high school football in Texas -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73aWPgOL-9U

GreenMonster
08-08-2013, 11:57 PM
It's a win win win situation guys! UIL gets paid, some 1-9 teams make the playoffs to boost their morale, and the whole town rallies around the playoff birth. It's No Child Left Behind the football version!

coachc45
08-09-2013, 08:02 AM
It's a win win win situation guys! UIL gets paid, some 1-9 teams make the playoffs to boost their morale, and the whole town rallies around the playoff birth. It's No Child Left Behind the football version!

And it hurts you or yours how? 4 teams in the playoffs is here to stay. And UIL has already said that the numbers in 3A will be increased so more teams will be in the classification to offset the extra team.

BwdLion73
08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
When the smoke clears the same programs will still be there.

hollywood
08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Agree

Some more than others. It depends on the cycles, district alignments, and classification realignments. But yes, most of the traditional football powerhouses are there in the end.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2013, 08:49 PM
It'll be considered a "problem" if a team like Progreso can upset someone and get into the playoffs with a 2-8 or 3-7 record.

Ernest T Bass
08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
People will say "good for Progresso!".

Matthew328
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Thats what I'd say...more high school football means more happy days for me

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Well, that's pretty much the only shot they have to make the playoffs. When the division is split into two, they'll be in a district with some pretty tough teams, I think.

GreenMonster
08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
And it hurts you or yours how? 4 teams in the playoffs is here to stay. And UIL has already said that the numbers in 3A will be increased so more teams will be in the classification to offset the extra team.

I did say it's a "win,win,win" situation didn't I??? I think it's a great addition. Games aren't always won by the best team but rather the best team on that given night. I think it can be great for young teams that get hot late as well as for schools that are under new management so to speak with new coaching staffs that get the kids to start clicking late in the season etc. I just fail to see where anyone loses on this deal, EVERYONE BENEFITS fans included. As far as my "No Child Left Behind for HS football" comment it is what it is, just keep in mind that failure breeds failure and success breeds success. Give a child a greater opportunity to succeed and he will. That is the basic idea of NCLB and I think the UIL actually got this one right.

coachc45
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I did say it's a "win,win,win" situation didn't I??? I think it's a great addition. Games aren't always won by the best team but rather the best team on that given night. I think it can be great for young teams that get hot late as well as for schools that are under new management so to speak with new coaching staffs that get the kids to start clicking late in the season etc. I just fail to see where anyone loses on this deal, EVERYONE BENEFITS fans included. As far as my "No Child Left Behind for HS football" comment it is what it is, just keep in mind that failure breeds failure and success breeds success. Give a child a greater opportunity to succeed and he will. That is the basic idea of NCLB and I think the UIL actually got this one right.

My apologies!

cowboyandchrist
08-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Can't wait to see the score 120 to 0 from teams like the Ville and Carthage against a 2 and 8 team or 1 and 9 team. That is a huge boost to a teams morale.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
In 2001 La Grange was second in district after losing to Bellville who were undefeated in district 25. The Leps went on to the SC game and lost a close one 14-11 to Commerce. Bellville IIRC went DI and lost in the regional final to Sinton (?).Region final, Sinton 21 Bellville 13. That year Region IV crushed Region III. Sinton 38 Bridge City 0 in R4 vs R3

YTBulldogs
08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Can't wait to see the score 120 to 0 from teams like the Ville and Carthage against a 2 and 8 team or 1 and 9 team. That is a huge boost to a teams morale.

Kid's now days will forget it by half time. They can always claim they made the playoff's in their HS career though. Probably a first for their school. And, 20-30 years from now, it might end up being a 10-1 season they had when talking to their kids/grand kids.