PDA

View Full Version : College football top 25

Saggy Aggie
08-01-2013, 12:06 PM
6 SEC teams ranked ahead of the first big 12 team.

Hey, msu, how good is the big 12 again???

JBulldawg
08-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Not good enough.

hollywood
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM

Saggy, you know you just jinxed the Ag's in the SEC? JM will have a less than steller year with all the pressure and the Ag's will be back to mediocrity as before.

Saggy Aggie
08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Saggy, you know you just jinxed the Ag's in the SEC? JM will have a less than steller year with all the pressure and the Ag's will be back to mediocrity as before.

Lol well I had this exact same debate last year and the SEC managed to do just fine despite ole saggy's jinx.

I'd love to see someone stop Johnny

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
You obviously forgot the lsu and Florida games.

hollywood
08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Lol well I had this exact same debate last year and the SEC managed to do just fine despite ole saggy's jinx.

:D :1popcorn:

hollywood
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM

When Texas wins the Big 12 this year, you will still be in denial.

Jonathan will have to learn to overcome his media coping challenges and control his actions off the field for the Ag's to do well this season. Hasn't handled the pressure yet. In about 6 weeks, we'll all see how it's going to be in Aggieland this season.

Will be :cheerl: or :weeping:

Macarthur
08-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Texas ahead of tcu? I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

Tcu beat them in Austin last year. Tcu has virtually the entire defense back that was #1 in the conference and they have their nfl caliber QB coming back? Really?

And they've got the better coach.

Better defense. Better QB Better coach. Yeah, Texas is better. :crazy:

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Tcu beat them in Austin last year. Tcu has virtually the entire defense back that was #1 in the conference and they have their nfl caliber QB coming back? Really?

Pachall hasn't played in a year. Both were extremely young last year and the game was close. Texas has more talent than tcu and potential that is why they are ahead. I give tcu the nod in the coaching dept. Patterson > mack

hollywood
08-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Better defense. Better QB Better coach. Yeah, Texas is better. :crazy:

Yep. Don't get me totally wrong though. I think TCU will be very tough for Texas this season as well. Pachall is a stud and with a more focused mindset (we hope) and the returning vets from last season, TCU will definitely be in the hunt. But Texas is the more talented team in which I think will finally put it all together this season and win the conference.

Emerson1
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Pachall hasn't played in a year. Both were extremely young last year and the game was close. Texas has more talent than tcu and potential that is why they are ahead. I give tcu the nod in the coaching dept. Patterson > mack

TCU also went 7-6 while Texas was 9-4.
TCU ended the season losing to an unranked Michigan State team. Texas ended the season beating a #13 Oregon State team.
Texas returns 19 starters. TCU doesn't.

Rabid Cougar
08-01-2013, 02:20 PM

You obviously didn't see the Alabama and Oklahoma games. They knew about him by then and were still powerless to stop him, specially OU. The A&M team at the end of the season would have run all over LSU and Florida.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
You obviously didn't see the Alabama and Oklahoma games. They knew about him by then and were still powerless to stop him, specially OU. The A&M team at the end of the season would have run all over LSU and Florida.

Oklahoma has crapped the bed in bowl games except for their Bcs win over uconn!

BEAST
08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
TCU ended the season losing to an unranked Michigan State team. Texas ended the season beating a #13 Oregon State team.

Side note to what you said, TCU was 4-0 until Pachall left. They will be much better with him pulling the triger. Also, this ordeal that he went through was probably the best thing that could have happened to him in hindsight. Still has all the tools he had before, but a much better head on his shoulders.

BEAST

Macarthur
08-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Yet, they beat Texas with their back up QB. Have all of their top defense in the conf coming back. Have the better coach and the game is in ft worth.....

Texas has more talent and potential every year. What makes this year different?

JBulldawg
08-01-2013, 04:07 PM
The college in Austin will not win the Big 12 this year. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

ogg
08-01-2013, 04:48 PM
the university in Austin has a better shot at winning the Big 12 this year than the college in College Station winning the SEC.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 06:06 PM
the university in Austin has a better shot at winning the Big 12 this year than the college in College Station winning the SEC.

What about the college in Waco, they could surprise some folks.

The college in Alaska will be cold.

JBulldawg
08-01-2013, 06:33 PM

I agree. But the difference is, A&M WOULD win the Big 12, not just a shot at it. ;)

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I agree. But the difference is, A&M WOULD win the Big 12, not just a shot at it. ;)

Who is to say that is true? IMO the A&M defense would get exposed in the big 12 especially considering all the multi year starters and talent they lost for this year. They haven't recruited well defensively the last 3-4 years. Especially with the possible suspension of two projected new starters. That entire defense for A&M will be young this year.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 06:47 PM
@BFeldmanCBS

#TCU OT Tayo Fabuluje has quit the team for personal reasons. He started 12 games last season & was HM All-Big 12.

He was expected to be the starting RT this year after starting at LT last year.

NastySlot
08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Who is to say that is true? IMO the A&M defense would get exposed in the big 12 especially considering all the multi year starters and talent they lost for this year. They haven't recruited well defensively the last 3-4 years. Especially with the possible suspension of two projected new starters. That entire defense for A&M will be young this year.

all the defense's in that conference get exposed weekly.....so you might be right. You say the same stuff every year about the Aggies so sooner or later you might be right.

I would venture to say that the S&C guy (a Rockdale alum) might have something to say about the toughness of the Aggie "D" imo Jackson made a great difference in the team last year.

NastySlot
08-01-2013, 07:11 PM
What about the college in Waco, they could surprise some folks.

The college in Alaska will be cold.

The Bears might really do something great this season. I just got access to a few bear season tix so I hope I can catch one or two games.....planning on the WVa. game

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
The Bears might really do something great this season. I just got access to a few bear season tix so I hope I can catch one or two games.....planning on the WVa. game

I'll pay face value for The Texas/Baylor ticket

NastySlot
08-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I'll pay face value for The Texas/Baylor ticket

We ll keep you in mind....but if the final game of the regular season has conference championship implications not too sure about face value....also might be the final game played in Casey stadium.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 07:59 PM
We ll keep you in mind....but if the final game of the regular season has conference championship implications not too sure about face value....also might be the final game played in Casey stadium.

Hope it goes better than the first game there ever, vs Texas.

Kinda crazy how the first game and last game in Floyd Casey is versus Texas.

navscanmaster
08-01-2013, 08:33 PM

I don't know that you can say that with a straight face. 2012 and 2013 have been increasingly better on the defensive side of the ball. The defensive side was an especially strong haul in February, highlighted by the three top 15 DTs they signed (Walker, Manning, and Golden). You are correct about the youth, not the recruiting. We didn't sign a 5 start at every starting position, but neither did anyone else in the country.

Macarthur
08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
I find it ironic that the Texas fans diss other schools for their recruiting when Texas wins in February for more than a decade and has so little to show for it.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't know that you can say that with a straight face. 2012 and 2013 have been increasingly better on the defensive side of the ball. The defensive side was an especially strong haul in February, highlighted by the three top 15 DTs they signed (Walker, Manning, and Golden). You are correct about the youth, not the recruiting. We didn't sign a 5 start at every starting position, but neither did anyone else in the country.

2013 was your strongest defensive recruiting class in a while...

2009-2012 have been mediocre defensively at best. your 2012 offensive class was good.

Old Tiger
08-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I find it ironic that the Texas fans diss other schools for their recruiting when Texas wins in February for more than a decade and has so little to show for it.

Only behind Florida, LSU, and Bama in BCS MNCs!

Saggy Aggie
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Johnny played well against Florida. The kicker lost the LSU game... And oh yeah.... The other 11 games said hi.

db1980
08-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Johnny played well against Florida. The kicker lost the LSU game... And oh yeah.... The other 11 games said hi.

Johnny played/scrambled well against Florida.....in the first half. Florida kept him in the pocket and made him have to throw the ball in the second half. The Aggies didn't score a point in the second half.

Against LSU Johnny was 29comp-56att(51%) for 276yds(not too shabby) with 0td and 3 INT, but the kicker lost the game??? Had that offense been clicking better the kicker wouldn't have been needed. Also the Aggie defense couldn't stop LSU running the ball on that last drive. I guess that's the kickers fault too?

navscanmaster
08-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Johnny played/scrambled well against Florida.....in the first half. Florida kept him in the pocket and made him have to throw the ball in the second half. The Aggies didn't score a point in the second half.

Against LSU Johnny was 29comp-56att(51%) for 276yds(not too shabby) with 0td and 3 INT, but the kicker lost the game??? Had that offense been clicking better the kicker wouldn't have been needed. Also the Aggie defense couldn't stop LSU running the ball on that last drive. I guess that's the kickers fault too?

Mike Evans took some blame for that one. The drive in the fourth quarter where Johnny's 3rd INT was a perfectly thrown slant that bounced off Evan's wide open hands, up into the air and into a defender's hands. Evans had a clear shot to the corner of the endzone if he makes the catch, with 1st and goal being the absolute worst outcome. Would've, could've I know, but yeah, Bertolet had an awful game as well, missing xp's and close field goals.

Lion70
08-02-2013, 05:24 AM
When Texas wins the Big 12 this year, you will still be in denial.

Jonathan will have to learn to overcome his media coping challenges and control his actions off the field for the Ag's to do well this season. Hasn't handled the pressure yet. In about 6 weeks, we'll all see how it's going to be in Aggieland this season.

Will be :cheerl: or :weeping:

Put the beer down and back away from the Ps3 controller.

Lion70
08-02-2013, 05:29 AM

Manziel was alright that game. One of his TD passes was called back, and another time, he had the team moving and hit a wide open Mike Evans, but Evans not only dropped the pass, but knocked it in the air for LSU to grab an easy interception that was not the fault of Johnny. He had 300 yards that game, but I guess that's low compared to how he normally performed. Almost a hundred yards lower.

LSU did very well, keeping him from breaking the big play that might've been what A&M needed. Heck, Sam Montgomery commented after the game about how nervous they were and how "Johnny Football ain't nothin' to mess with."

Lion70
08-02-2013, 05:31 AM

LMBO. Did you watch the Cotton Bowl.

db1980
08-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Mike Evans took some blame for that one. The drive in the fourth quarter where Johnny's 3rd INT was a perfectly thrown slant that bounced off Evan's wide open hands, up into the air and into a defender's hands. Evans had a clear shot to the corner of the endzone if he makes the catch, with 1st and goal being the absolute worst outcome. Would've, could've I know, but yeah, Bertolet had an awful game as well, missing xp's and close field goals.

The kicker is always the hero or the zero

hookandladder
08-02-2013, 06:05 AM

How many NC does Texas have , I think they have something to show for it. I know a school down the road that has how many, zero.

Lion70
08-02-2013, 06:10 AM
How many NC does Texas have , I think they have something to show for it. I know a school down the road that has how many, zero.

1 NC since 1969 quit actling like texas is bama.

OldBison75
08-02-2013, 07:35 AM
If we talk about successful programs and forget mythical polls, we are left with winning percentages. Now we can put numbers in the picture:

Who was college football’s "team of the decade" for the 2000s?

Texas? USC? Maybe Oklahoma? All good choices, of course.

But if you’re looking at winning percentage alone, then the answer to that question is actually Boise State.

During the Broncos’ remarkable rise to power last decade, they compiled an incredible overall record of 112-17—good for a winning percentage of .868, best in the nation. The Broncos won two more games that decade than Texas and Oklahoma, ten more than Ohio State and 12 more than Florida.

Here, we take a look at the top 10 winningest programs (by winning percentage) in college football between 2000-2009.

1. Boise State: 112-17 (.868)
2. Texas: 110-19 (.853)
3. Oklahoma: 110-24 (.821)
4. Ohio State: 102-25 (.803)
5. Southern California: 88-26 (.772) (reflects victories lost in the 2004 and 2005 seasons)
6. Florida: 100-30 (.769)
7. TCU: 95-29 (.766)
8. LSU: 99-31 (.762)
9. Georgia: 98-31 (.760)
10. Virginia Tech: 99-32 (.756)

Oh crap, no Alabama. And why is there 3 Big 12 teams in this list? The SEC gets Florida the 6th and LSU 8th place rankings.

I realize this is only numbers from 2000 to 2009, but it goes to show that thins go in cycles. Since 2010, these ranking will change, just like they will change several times before the end of the decade.

Emerson1
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Texas v. Texas A&M in the NC with it being the most watched game in college fb history.

Lion70
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
If we talk about successful programs and forget mythical polls, we are left with winning percentages. Now we can put numbers in the picture:

But if you’re looking at winning percentage alone, then the answer to that question is actually Boise State.

During the Broncos’ remarkable rise to power last decade, they compiled an incredible overall record of 112-17—good for a winning percentage of .868, best in the nation. The Broncos won two more games that decade than Texas and Oklahoma, ten more than Ohio State and 12 more than Florida.

Here, we take a look at the top 10 winningest programs (by winning percentage) in college football between 2000-2009.

5. Southern California: 88-26 (.772) (reflects victories lost in the 2004 and 2005 seasons)

Oh crap, no Alabama. And why is there 3 Big 12 teams in this list? The SEC gets Florida the 6th and LSU 8th place rankings.

I realize this is only numbers from 2000 to 2009, but it goes to show that thins go in cycles. Since 2010, these ranking will change, just like they will change several times before the end of the decade.

How many championships won yeah that's what I thought. Its the only thing that's matters.

Old Tiger
08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
How many championships won yeah that's what I thought. Its the only thing that's matters.

Yet the gas haven't won one since the 30s unless you claim the 2 they made up last year.

Macarthur
08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

I was talking about recent history.

Texas has dominated college recruiting for more than a decade. They have 3 conf championships and one NC due to probably the greatest game ever played b a college player

I really don't think you can look at what Mac has done and not conclude that they have underachieved.

And we've had this discussion before about all time records. Many folks, me included, do not give much credence to this. The reason is that before the 85 scholarship limit, schools like Texas, Ohio state, Alabama, etc. could load up on as much talent as they could knowing full well that many of the kids would never see the field. It is very well documented that Texas offered scholarships to many kids through the years to simply keep them from going to schools like tcu, smu, A&M, etc. so really, when you talk about what Texas has done since the playing field has been somewhat level (and its never fully level due to the financial advantage Texas has), they have grossly underachieved.

Macarthur
08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Btw, 1973 was when scholarship limits were implemented and schools were fully integrated.

Lion70
08-02-2013, 10:57 AM
:
Yet the gas haven't won one since the 30s unless you claim the 2 they made up last year.

They were leget champs those three years. Ags just never claimed them and they had ever right too.

bwdlionfan
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
:

They were leget champs those three years. Ags just never claimed them and they had ever right too.

What is a leget champ?

You mean legit?

Old Tiger
08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
:

How can you claim legitimacy when there were 3-4 polls that could announce a different mnc

Emerson1
08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Yet, they beat Texas with their back up QB. Have all of their top defense in the conf coming back. Have the better coach and the game is in ft worth.....

Texas has more talent and potential every year. What makes this year different?
You said there was no reason why Texas should be ranked ahead of TCU. I have plenty of reasons why they could be. Texas played Case McCoy in that game so I would say QB play was even.

A NC win and another appearance (and who wouldn't want to go in a time machine and tell Colt not to get jacked up by that DT to see what would have happened in that game?).

Macarthur
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Texas played Case McCoy in that game so I would say QB play was even.

They played colt because ash was so pitiful.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1783181/gravyontheball.gif

Weebe
08-02-2013, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Emerson1;1751550]You said there was no reason why Texas should be ranked ahead of TCU. I have plenty of reasons why they could be. Texas played Case McCoy in that game so I would say QB play was even.

Seriously? Is that really your excuse? If you had actually watched the game, you would know that McCoy played because Ash was terrible for the 1st 3 quarters.

Lots of mouth breathers on this site.

hookandladder
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Emerson1;1751550]You said there was no reason why Texas should be ranked ahead of TCU. I have plenty of reasons why they could be. Texas played Case McCoy in that game so I would say QB play was even.

Seriously? Is that really your excuse? If you had actually watched the game, you would know that McCoy played because Ash was terrible for the 1st 3 quarters.

Lots of mouth breathers on this site.

Lot's of bandwagon fans also, just saying.

Emerson1
08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
And if Case is having to play the ship is sinking. Ash probably would have stayed in if not for getting jacked up and hurting his ribs. Remember earlier in the game Case came in and sucked it up? So tell me now how much worse TCU's QB play was? It wasn't. Boykin went 7/9. He wasn't the backup, he was the starter. Just like the 6 previous games where he...you know...started.

Lol. If I was a bandwagon fan why would I care how they are doing after so many crappy seasons? Gotta love that logic.

Saggy Aggie
08-02-2013, 05:02 PM

I guess you didn't see the kicker miss 3??? Fgs and an extra point?

Johnny's first game ever was Florida... I'd say he did alright for the circumstances. LSU was his worst game and A&M should've still won

Saggy Aggie
08-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Apparently the concept of strength of schedule is out if your grasp

Old Tiger
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
When Dan Hawkins coached Boise they could never beat the big time ooc team Petersen took over and improved Boise.

Old Tiger
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Apparently the concept of strength of schedule is out if your grasp

Ironic statement considering y'all's schedule next year.

Weebe
08-02-2013, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=Weebe;1751552]

Lot's of bandwagon fans also, just saying.

If by bandwagon fans, you mean people who actually attended the school, then I guess you would be right in regards to me.

If I was, in fact, the one you were directing that at.

Saggy Aggie
08-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Ironic statement considering y'all's schedule next year.

I never said anything about a&m's schedule.

But basing your argument on win percentage is far from accurate... Especially if you play no one... Aka Boise

Emerson1
08-02-2013, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=hookandladder;1751556]

If by bandwagon fans, you mean people who actually attended the school, then I guess you would be right in regards to me.

If I was, in fact, the one you were directing that at.

You should thank bandwagon/t-shirt fans for contributing to the tens of millions of dollars that get brought in on various apparel and other licensing sales.

Macarthur
08-02-2013, 09:34 PM
And if Case is having to play the ship is sinking. Ash probably would have stayed in if not for getting jacked up and hurting his ribs. Remember earlier in the game Case came in and sucked it up? So tell me now how much worse TCU's QB play was? It wasn't. Boykin went 7/9. He wasn't the backup, he was the starter. Just like the 6 previous games where he...you know...started.

Lol. If I was a bandwagon fan why would I care how they are doing after so many crappy seasons? Gotta love that logic.

And tcu had nothing to do with ash playing poorly? Maybe he played poorly because tcu was the better team.

And it's funny that you mention Boykin onl completing 7 passes. That makes the case even stronger that tcu dominated. And make no mistake, Boykin was the back up. He wasn't ready to be the starter last year.

db1980
08-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Texas has dominated college recruiting for more than a decade. They have 3 conf championships and one NC due to probably the greatest game ever played b a college player

I really don't think you can look at what Mac has done and not conclude that they have underachieved.

And we've had this discussion before about all time records. Many folks, me included, do not give much credence to this. The reason is that before the 85 scholarship limit, schools like Texas, Ohio state, Alabama, etc. could load up on as much talent as they could knowing full well that many of the kids would never see the field. It is very well documented that Texas offered scholarships to many kids through the years to simply keep them from going to schools like tcu, smu, A&M, etc. so really, when you talk about what Texas has done since the playing field has been somewhat level (and its never fully level due to the financial advantage Texas has), they have grossly underachieved.

Mack has to be one of the biggest underacheivers in the history of college football. Even with his winning percentages, to have the resources, recruiting and athletes just waiting for a UT offer to have as few conference titles and only one national title to show is a letdown. If Stoops (even after his NC) had followed his 2000 season with what Mack has produced at Texas he'd have been fired at least 3 years ago.....and I am a Longhorn fan.

db1980
08-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I guess you didn't see the kicker miss 3??? Fgs and an extra point?

Johnny's first game ever was Florida... I'd say he did alright for the circumstances. LSU was his worst game and A&M should've still won

His first half ever was against Florida and they were winning 17-10 at half. Florida made adjustments and kept him in the pocket the second half. He had 130yds of his 175 passing yards in the first half. He looked pretty good in the first half of his career. Florida made the appropriate adjustments.

Against LSU the box score said the kicker was 2-4 on field goals. he was 1-2 on XP. Shouldn't miss the XP's, but to lay the blame on the Kicker solely is crazy. That LSU defense was gutted and couldn't stop the LSU RB on that last drive.

Tricky
08-02-2013, 10:55 PM
So if I understand this correctly, most of the longhorn apologists here never took an hour from the school,. Nice.

Thanks for letting us all know your opinion on these thing means nothing. Buying a t-shirt does not make you an alum. Nice try though Emerson and OT. I do hear Walmart is having a sale on horn apparel. Stock up losers.

Roughneck93
08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Texas at #15 is reasonable considering the team's performance recently.

"So at some point, when does Texas decide they're gonna punch someone in the face? That's what we're waiting for...is this team gonna stop taking punches and finally punch back"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSX5l9ZtpgI&sns=em

Weebe
08-02-2013, 11:10 PM
So if I understand this correctly, most of the longhorn apologists here never took an hour from the school,. Nice.

Thanks for letting us all know your opinion on these thing means nothing. Buying a t-shirt does not make you an alum. Nice try though Emerson and OT. I do hear Walmart is having a sale on horn apparel. Stock up losers.

The great thing about having no real ties to a school is that you can easily switch to the current flavor of the week(after all, that's how these guys started following Texas in the first place).

Another mediocre season or two by Texas and this board will be filled with Alabama and Oregon fans.

Roughneck93
08-02-2013, 11:14 PM
ND at # 11 seems too high.

Also, I don't get how OU is ranked above TCU. I would swap them.

OldBison75
08-02-2013, 11:24 PM

My post about the winning programs from 2000-2009 was in response to this post quoted above. It really had nothing to do with anything except the argument that Texas had the better winning percentage overall because of recruiting advantages before limits were imposed.

Saggy, believe it or not, I love the Aggies. However, I do not buy into the hate the Longhorns crap. Give credit where credit is due. Texas has been a solid program for years, with a few down years mixed in. As for right now, the Aggies appear to be one of the best, but no matter how I feel about this coming year, the game is on the field an not on this board.

Emerson1
08-03-2013, 03:41 AM
The great thing about having no real ties to a school is that you can easily switch to the current flavor of the week(after all, that's how these guys started following Texas in the first place).

Another mediocre season or two by Texas and this board will be filled with Alabama and Oregon fans.
Says the guy who was too ashamed to register until El Campo was deep in the playoffs. Due some research son and see if me or OT have ever swayed from UT the last 3 years. Wouldn't this have already happened since Alabama has won two championships in a row?

Lol. This was a good cap to my night. Pretty sure Saggy Aggie is the only person on this board who went to any of the big schools. So you can bash a school you didn't go to, but you can't defend one? That logic makes sense.

Old Tiger
08-03-2013, 04:40 AM
And tcu had nothing to do with ash playing poorly? Maybe he played poorly because tcu was the better team.

And it's funny that you mention Boykin onl completing 7 passes. That makes the case even stronger that tcu dominated. And make no mistake, Boykin was the back up. He wasn't ready to be the starter last year.

They won because the Texas defense couldn't stop the run all year.

Old Tiger
08-03-2013, 04:48 AM

Thanks for letting us all know your opinion on these thing means nothing. Buying a t-shirt does not make you an alum. Nice try though Emerson and OT. I do hear Walmart is having a sale on horn apparel. Stock up losers.Argument is old and annoying, I pump plenty of money in UT from ticket sales, fundraisers, and etc. Not just the athletic dept because I enjoy what the school has to offer to kids of our state.

Because we did not go there does not mean we weren't able to go there. I chose not to go there because there was no way my family could afford to keep me there or I could afford to keep myself there even with financial aid. I also didn't want to barry myself in debt which would take 20+ years to payoff. I was a nursing student from about 19-20 years old and decided that was not the career for me. I took a few years off from school to grow up and re-evaluate myself. I was blessed with a damn good woman to get me on the right path and give me a reason to bust my ass for what I have now. Ended up going to a technical college and earning an associates degree carrying well above a GPA of 3.5.

I now have a great job working for a great company backed by GE Aviation where we produce fan blades for the most powerful airplane engines in the world. I am an Industrial Maintenance Engineer and am well compensated in pay.

Just because I chose not to attend UT does not make me any less of a person nor depreciate my opinion on things athletically associated with the university. Oh and if you ever want to come tailgate at a UT game and rub elbows with the politicians of this state I can get you wrist bands, full bar and food provided. ;)

Old Tiger
08-03-2013, 04:51 AM

Another mediocre season or two by Texas and this board will be filled with Alabama and Oregon fans.For the record, I started following Texas back in 1996 when I was only 9 years old. My first memory that I have of Texas was the Big 12 championship with James Brown and roll left. So yes when I started following Texas football we were not what has been built today.

Weebe
08-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Hard to believe you guys didn't pick Rice, Baylor, SMU, Tech, or UH as your school of choice.

I mean, y'all had just as much connection with those schools as Texas. But no one ever picks those schools to follow. It's easy to pick the team that is winning at the time.

It's much more difficult to actually be accepted into a school and graduate from somewhere.

OldBison75
08-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Hard to believe you guys didn't pick Rice, Baylor, SMU, Tech, or UH as your school of choice.

I mean, y'all had just as much connection with those schools as Texas. But no one ever picks those schools to follow. It's easy to pick the team that is winning at the time.

It's much more difficult to actually be accepted into a school and graduate from somewhere.

There are a bunch of high school fans at every high school that did not go to school there. They have moved there for work or other reasons and adopted that school as the one they support. Same happens with colleges because the team they support was the one they were exposed to by television when young or proximity to the school. That does not make them any less a fan and certainly does not give them less knowledge of the athletic programs.

My point is that for anyone to discredit another because they support a school they did not attend is pretty childish. That is like saying that it is not possible to support our constitution because we were not there when it was written. I did not write the DOT regulations for the trucking industry, but, I know them very well from experience dealing with them and enforcing them in our company. I follow updates and regulatory interpretation notices just like sports fans follow web based recruiting services and college sponsored web blogs. Another example is the crew chiefs and pit crews in NASCAR were not part of the engine design by ford, chevrolet, or toyota but because of exposure they are experts at working on them and modifying them.

Just because a person received a college education from a particular school does not make them the worlds best and most knowledgeable fan. I know too many fans that are the most dedicated fans of a program they have no connection with except they have followed it for years. As for OT and Emerson, they have been consistent in support of UT even when the team is not doing so well---just like thousands of Aggie fans that came to games when they were having bad years. If universities did not want these to be true fans, they would not reserve so many non student/alumni seats for sale every week.

For the record, I grew up a Longhorn fan because that was what I saw on television every Saturday in the 60's and they won my support. Through all the years since Darrelll Royal left, I have remained a Longhorn fan. My children grew up 20 miles from TAMU and are Aggie fans and my daughter now is a senior there. I have never hated the Aggies and really have a tremendous amount of respect for the traditions and programs they offer. It is really only a small percentage of fans that create the huge rift between these two schools--mainly those that grew up with the same issues I deal with every day--splits in families and friends over who they support and the human desire to one up each other.

The reality is that the more you rag on the opposing university, the more the "bad" school gets mentioned and the more exposure it gets. The result is that people that you annoy enough with negative will

Emerson1
08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
My point is that for anyone to discredit another because they support a school they did not attend is pretty childish.

That defense comes out when all of their points have been shot down. It's only Texas that gets that flack. No one ever points out how many more A&M shirts you see these days and the fact their stadium used to only be about 75% full for the better part of the decade.

Weebe
08-03-2013, 10:00 AM
There are a bunch of high school fans at every high school that did not go to school there. They have moved there for work or other reasons and adopted that school as the one they support. Same happens with colleges because the team they support was the one they were exposed to by television when young or proximity to the school. That does not make them any less a fan and certainly does not give them less knowledge of the athletic programs.

My point is that for anyone to discredit another because they support a school they did not attend is pretty childish. That is like saying that it is not possible to support our constitution because we were not there when it was written. I did not write the DOT regulations for the trucking industry, but, I know them very well from experience dealing with them and enforcing them in our company. I follow updates and regulatory interpretation notices just like sports fans follow web based recruiting services and college sponsored web blogs. Another example is the crew chiefs and pit crews in NASCAR were not part of the engine design by ford, chevrolet, or toyota but because of exposure they are experts at working on them and modifying them.

Just because a person received a college education from a particular school does not make them the worlds best and most knowledgeable fan. I know too many fans that are the most dedicated fans of a program they have no connection with except they have followed it for years. As for OT and Emerson, they have been consistent in support of UT even when the team is not doing so well---just like thousands of Aggie fans that came to games when they were having bad years. If universities did not want these to be true fans, they would not reserve so many non student/alumni seats for sale every week.

For the record, I grew up a Longhorn fan because that was what I saw on television every Saturday in the 60's and they won my support. Through all the years since Darrelll Royal left, I have remained a Longhorn fan. My children grew up 20 miles from TAMU and are Aggie fans and my daughter now is a senior there. I have never hated the Aggies and really have a tremendous amount of respect for the traditions and programs they offer. It is really only a small percentage of fans that create the huge rift between these two schools--mainly those that grew up with the same issues I deal with every day--splits in families and friends over who they support and the human desire to one up each other.

The reality is that the more you rag on the opposing university, the more the "bad" school gets mentioned and the more exposure it gets. The result is that people that you annoy enough with negative will

I have no problem with someone being a fan of a school they didn't attend.

I do have a problem when one of those people talks crap to an alumnus of another school about the alumnus' team.

Some of us are loyal to the school we attended. We just don't choose the flavor of the week school that happens to be winning at the time.

OldBison75
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Just always remember that we have heard so much about the SEC being superior. The SEC is in a cycle where they are the best overall conference right now but it will not stay that way forever. Talent, coaching, and recruiting goes in cycles and they are at the top right now and that can change in a short period of time. be realistic and say that in college football, like in high school football, anything can happen on any given day. The best talent, the best coaching, and the best rated don't always win. That does not make the school they represent any less of a school or program.

Emerson1
08-03-2013, 10:46 AM
What Texas fan was talking crap about a team or person in a derogatory manner? You are the one that started throwing around comments like "mouth breathers". I gave Macarthur 100% valid reasons on why Texas could be ranked higher going into the season.

The first derogatory comment towards a school came when someone referred to UT as the "university in Austin." OT pointed out how the A&M recruiting classes were not ranked that high and Macarthur freaked out. Did he go to TCU? Or is Saggy Aggie still the only person who we know has attended one of the schools being discussed? It's funny how people bash t-shirt fans, but I don't think in the history of this site have actually said where they attended school.

db1980
08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
That defense comes out when all of their points have been shot down. It's only Texas that gets that flack. No one ever points out how many more A&M shirts you see these days and the fact their stadium used to only be about 75% full for the better part of the decade.

I have seen that it is mostly Aggies using that argument against Longhorn fans too.

db1980
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
I have no problem with someone being a fan of a school they didn't attend.

I do have a problem when one of those people talks crap to an alumnus of another school about the alumnus' team.

Some of us are loyal to the school we attended. We just don't choose the flavor of the week school that happens to be winning at the time.

.....and some people are loyal to their favorite teams even through the rotten years.

Saggy Aggie
08-03-2013, 07:58 PM
I feel the love Emerson!

This same tired old argument sucks tho. This thread is about the top 25 this year

Weebe
08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
What Texas fan was talking crap about a team or person in a derogatory manner? You are the one that started throwing around comments like "mouth breathers". I gave Macarthur 100% valid reasons on why Texas could be ranked higher going into the season.

The first derogatory comment towards a school came when someone referred to UT as the "university in Austin." OT pointed out how the A&M recruiting classes were not ranked that high and Macarthur freaked out. Did he go to TCU? Or is Saggy Aggie still the only person who we know has attended one of the schools being discussed? It's funny how people bash t-shirt fans, but I don't think in the history of this site have actually said where they attended school.

Graduated from A&M in 1998. Graduated from law school on 2002.

Please feel free to post your academic credentials.

Your definition of derogatory comments and mine are quite different.

Old Tiger
08-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Graduated from A&M in 1998. Graduated from law school on 2002.

Please feel free to post your academic credentials.

Your definition of derogatory comments and mine are quite different.

Do credentials matter when you make good money? I went to a 2 year college I work Monday through Friday and will make over 60k where you go to school doesn't matter to to chastise someone for where they receive an education is immature and irrational. Non of us "bandwagon" fans rag on a and m as an institution just their odd beliefs and their arrogance that is unwarranted.

Emerson1
08-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I feel the love Emerson!

This same tired old argument sucks tho. This thread is about the top 25 this year
I've been away too long. I should have known better than to post legitimate reasons backed up by statistical figures and think someone wouldn't go off the deep end.

coach
08-04-2013, 02:21 PM
It doesn't feel right to hear a longhorn fan talkingbaboutbanothrr school having arrogance lol.

regaleagle
08-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Overall, I would have to say that Patterson and TCU has accomplished more with less than either Texas or A&M in recent(last decade) years. Mack has definitely had much more to work with, A&M had plenty of quality recruits(compared to TCU) and didn't perform to a high level, and this season there seems to be a consensus that all three teams will be improved over last season. I agree that Mack isn't the best gameday coach....everybody knows that. The report card is still out on Sumlin, and pretty much everybody knows Gary Patterson is the real deal. I wouldn't be too hasty to discount the Horned Frogs this season with Casey back. It will be interesting to see what happens to Johnny Boy in his Soph. season with Sumlin and Staff. I always hold my breath regarding the Horns with Mack, but a new OC should help. Don't forget about OU, OSU, KSU, Baylor, WVa., and Tech with Kingsbury's offense. Tech's probably a couple of years away, but could be a spoiler on a given Saturday. It will be a fun season this year, for sure. I'll be pulling for the Ags in the SEC and TCU, Baylor, and the Horns all year. I guess I favor TCU and the Horns from waaaaay back. My oldest brother is an Aggie(Class of 73...the year I graduated high school), but I attended SWTSU (San Marcos) and UT for one semester, then back to San Marcos. So I'm just a fan of Texas teams playing good quality football every Saturday, pulling for any Texas team that can beat OU, OSU, KSU, KU, ISU, and now WVa.

sahen
08-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Hope it goes better than the first game there ever, vs Texas.

Kinda crazy how the first game and last game in Floyd Casey is versus Texas.

hunh? Baylor beat UH in the first game at Floyd Casey Stadium in 1950...34-7